Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
activistfatgirl
donuts at the finish line

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default I've got time and these ingredients...

...and I want cookies or sweet things!

So this is what I've got:

A day off
Condensed Milk
Evap. Milk
Sugar
Flour
Peanut Butter
brown sugar
corn starch
Blender

What I don't have:
eggs
mixer
baking soda or powder
chocolate.
pie crust

There's GOT to be some sort of a sweet treat I can make out of the things left behind by my roomie. I'm searching online and not getting anywhere.

Anyone got any ideas?

If there's a good recipe I can pull off with just buying eggs, that could work.

I really am clueless, I know.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
CuteyChubb
Queen of Hearts

CuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging inCuteyChubb makes people happy simply by logging in

Gee whiz, I sure thought someone would have a reply by now. Where is my master chef Brandi? She should be able to solve this problem right quick. (She's probably fixing tomorrows dinner!)

:) Smile, JESUS loves you. (Even if you don't want him to. ;) )
CuteyChubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

I was actually at work...where I don't cook lol

Sorry you have to buy eggs lol

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

1 3/4 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 egg

Combine ingredients. Roll into balls, roll balls in sugar. Bake on cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.

**Now I'm off to pound some breasts lol
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
activistfatgirl

activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.activistfatgirl has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi
I was actually at work...where I don't cook lol

Sorry you have to buy eggs lol

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

1 3/4 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 egg
Brandi, I love you and your deligence. I wish you had a food network show. Well, I went eggless BUT I'm going to make these peanut butter cookies as soon as I get some eggs. And I'm going to use this recipe, because I trust you.

I did this instead. I didn't make cookies but a flat bar that I'm freezing. Should be no big deal to all the accomplished foodies here, but I am so freaking proud of myself! Super easy!

Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies I

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 cups quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, flour and milk. Bring to a full rolling boil and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients all at once. Blend well.
3. Drop tablespoonfuls onto wax paper or aluminum foil. Cool completely before serving or storing.

Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
Combine ingredients. Roll into balls, roll balls in sugar. Bake on cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

What you made sounds delish!

Now the recipe I gave you is my "poor man's peanut butter cookies" lol
Old 08-25-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
activistfatgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi
What you made sounds delish!

Now the recipe I gave you is my "poor man's peanut butter cookies" lol
Ha! I figured it was too simple to be your very own special one! It's perfect for me. I'm curious how YOU'd make peanut butter cookies, but I'm sure I wouldn't do it like that. One step at a time!
Old 08-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
Mercedes

Mercedes can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMercedes can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I know a recipe and it's very easy no cooking involved.

But you need to have cookies or digestive type biscuits at least, sorry!

First you crush the biscuits, then put them in the condensed milk and add some sugar. It should become a hard-ish paste.

If you have any, add nuts, chocolate chips and dried sugared fruit (like orange peel etc).

Roll the result into a log using your hands - then you can sprinkle sugar on top, or melted chocolate.

Finally put it in the refrigerator.

After some hours... it's the best sweet thing I ever ate!
Mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #8
ThikchicStacey
My Body is Your Temple..

ThikchicStacey can now change their title

You guys are making me hungry!
Old 08-25-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
activistfatgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes
I know a recipe and it's very easy no cooking involved.

But you need to have cookies or digestive type biscuits at least, sorry!

First you crush the biscuits, then put them in the condensed milk and add some sugar. It should become a hard-ish paste.

If you have any, add nuts, chocolate chips and dried sugared fruit (like orange peel etc).

Roll the result into a log using your hands - then you can sprinkle sugar on top, or melted chocolate.

Finally put it in the refrigerator.

After some hours... it's the best sweet thing I ever ate!

Hmm, I would never usually go for this, but since I've got condensed milk that was left around, why not? Can you clarify what "cookies or digestive type bisquits" are?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #10
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Re: these ingredients...

What about powdered sugar? *hopeful look*

Peanut Butter Fudge

1 cup butter, plus more for greasing pan
1 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound powdered sugar

Microwave butter and peanut butter for 2 minutes on high. Stir and microwave on high for 2 more minutes. Add vanilla and powdered sugar to peanut butter mixture and stir to combine with a wooden spoon. Pour into a buttered 8 by 8-inch pan lined with waxed paper. Place a second piece of waxed paper on the surface of the fudge and refrigerate until cool. Cut into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #11
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh.. and what about pecans?

East Texas Brown Sugar Pralines

2-1/2 pounds light brown sugar
1 stick plus 3 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons salt
12 fluid ounces evaporated milk
1 tablespoon of quality pure vanilla extract
1 pound pecans, small halves or pieces

Combine brown sugar, butter, salt, and evaporated milk in a large stockpot. Measure out and reserve vanilla and pecans. You'll have to work fast. Bring to the boil and cook until it starts to caramelize. Remove from heat and add vanilla and pecans, stirring in with a wooden spoon. Drop on buttered parchment-lined cookie sheets and cool. Store in airtight containers for up to 2 weeks. This has a short shelf-life, but you can easily halve the recipe. I've never tried freezing them.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #12
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by activistfatgirl
Ha! I figured it was too simple to be your very own special one! It's perfect for me. I'm curious how YOU'd make peanut butter cookies, but I'm sure I wouldn't do it like that. One step at a time!

I was going to post peanut butter fudge, but Fuzzy beat me to it. LOL

Here is my peanut butter cookie recipe, from cooks.com

SOFT AND CHEWY PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. dark brown sugar, firmly packed
1 1/4 c. white sugar
1 c. butter, softened
3 lg. eggs
1 c. creamy peanut butter
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, soda and salt, mix well, set aside. In a large bowl, blend sugars and butter to form a paste. Add eggs, peanut butter and vanilla, mix well. Add flour mixture and mix until combined. DO NOT OVER MIX!
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet, 1 1/2 inches apart. With a wet fork gently press down into cookies. Bake 18-22 minutes or until cookie are slightly brown along edges. Transfer cookies to cool surface immediately.

Variation: Add 2 cups coarsely chopped chocolate bar or 2 cups chocolate chips to flour mixture - OR add a chocolate kiss to the top of a cookie as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #13
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy

Peanut Butter Fudge

1 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound powdered sugar

Microwave butter and peanut butter for 2 minutes on high. Stir and microwave on high for 2 more minutes. Add vanilla and powdered sugar to peanut butter mixture and stir to combine with a wooden spoon. Pour into a buttered 8 by 8-inch pan lined with waxed paper. Place a second piece of waxed paper on the surface of the fudge and refrigerate until cool. Cut into 1-inch pieces and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

OMG this sounds so odd...all that butter? it's like making peanut butter frosting and eating it.

Oh wait. This is bad...why?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:20 PM   #14
activistfatgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy

Peanut Butter Fudge

1 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pound powdered sugar

I think I would die if I made this, but that might be a viable option.

Luckily for y'all I don't have any powdered sugar so I'm gonna live.

I couldn't find any peanut butter fudge recipes that didnt have powd. sugar or marshmellow goo. I'm now staunchly refusing to buy more ingredients. It's sorta fun to research what you can make with randome things you've got on hand!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:38 AM   #15
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

I based my searches on the evap. and cond. milk, and browsed thru until i saw the fudge and praline recipes. Oh, the endless variety if you had eggs..
Old 08-27-2006, 08:41 AM   #16
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Vanilla Pudding

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/8 tsp. salt
2 3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp margarine or butter
1 tsp. vanilla

In a medium sauce pan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Stir constantly, bring mixture to a boil over medium heat and boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in margarine and vanilla.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:46 AM   #17
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Honey Candy

2/3 cup evaporated milk
2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 to 1/3 cup honey
1 to 2 tsp. vanilla

Mix ingredients, except vanilla. in saucepan and heat stirring constantly, until temperature is 235 F (use your candy thermometer) Pour into a mixing bowl and add vanilla, mixing well. Pourin a butter pan and let sit until cool.

Note: if you didn't cook or beat this long enough, it will be a liquid caramel, which also makes a good ice cream topper. Normally, it was a fudge-like consistency.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:52 AM   #18
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

English Toffee

1 cup butter
5 tsp. water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

In a heavy saucepan, cook butter, water and sugar. Bring to boil at highest heat, stirring constantly, until golden brown and candy leaves sides of pan.
from heat, add vanilla. Pour onto butter cookie sheet. Let cool. Break into pieces.

Option: Before spreading onto cookie sheet, add 1/4 cup almond peices.
Option: After spreading onto cookie sheet, sprinkle 1 package chocolate chips on top, let melt and spread, and then sprinkle 1/4 cup almond peices on top.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #19
Mercedes

Mercedes can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMercedes can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by activistfatgirl
Hmm, I would never usually go for this, but since I've got condensed milk that was left around, why not? Can you clarify what "cookies or digestive type bisquits" are?
I'm glad you found my recipe interesting!

It's difficult to describe digestive biscuits - guess I could post a couple of links?

http://www.britshoppe.com/mcvitdigbis.html

also:

The undisputed king of the large diameter biscuits, this is truly an iconic biscuit.

Found in two main varieties, SweetMeal and WholeMeal, the digestive biscuit sets a standard for the whole biscuit world. Its satisfying nature make the biscuit eater consider how many to have at a time 1,2 or maybe 3. It's versatile providing the base for many more elaborate biscuits, (see Chocolate Caramels), and even chocolate covered biscuit bars such as the Breakaway, or the base for Cheesecakes.

Once again the biscuit shown here is from McVities, and its a WholeMeal. Other people attempt to make digestives but they taste like cardboard compared to the mighty McVities. I have seen girls slip a sheet of kitchen roll in the bottom of their biscuit tins, when opening a new packet of digestives, and although this is completely unnecessary, it is strangely alluring.

And here's a recipe on how to MAKE digestive biscuits:

They are very delicate and, therefore, extremely difficult to reproduce exactly but this recipe is fairly close. The ORIGINAL recipe is posted, verbatim, below. However, please note that I used Pillsbury plain whole wheat flour (which I sifted) and I used 4 ROUNDED, not level, tablespoons of wheat germ. These minor modifications were made as a result of the (always) invaluable advice and information I received from fellow chefs in a Recipezaar discussion forum. Biscuits will be 2 1/2 inch diameter x 1/8 inch thick.

servings
biscuits

11 ounces plain whole-wheat flour 4 tablespoons wheat germ 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder 4 tablespoons sugar 4 1/2 ounces butter 5 tablespoons cold water 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Not the one? See other Digestive Biscuits Recipes

Combine the dry ingredients, and then cut in the butter so that the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
  1. Combine the water and vanilla and drizzle over the dry mixture.
  2. Blend until the dough can be packed together.
  3. Roll out on a floured surface or between two sheets of waxed paper until the dough is about 3 mm (1/8 inch) thick.
  4. Cut into circles or other shapes and bake on a greased baking sheet at 170C/ 325F/ Gas Mark 3 for 20 to 25 minutes; make sure the oven does not get too hot- they should not be too brown.
  5. Cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:50 PM   #20
activistfatgirl

A 4 day weekend means more baking experiments with no disposable income and only what I have laying around.

I made these:
"Easy Peanut Butter Cookies"
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
3/4 to 1 c. peanut butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. Bisquick baking mix

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large mixer bowl, beat sweetened condensed milk, peanut butter, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Add biscuit mix; mix well. Chill at least one hour. Shape into one inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten with fork. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned (do not over bake). Cool. Store tightly covered at room temperature.

Only I saw a variation without eggs, so I didn't use eggs or replace them with flaxmeal. Another variation called for the big hershey's chocolate kiss on top, and I truly think this is the only way this recipe is worth it. What I got out of it was peanut butter biscuit like cookies that aren't very sweet.

But I won't let one disappointment get me down! I will prevail!