Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Library > Story Writers Forum

Old 04-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
magodamilion

magodamilion can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesmagodamilion can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Formatting Question

Are most of you when posting a story, copying and pasting in the text box from word or attaching the document? I'm ready to post something I've written and I want to make sure it looks right. Sorry if the answer to this is somewhere already.
magodamilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Please copy and paste in. That way if there are minor edits that need to be made, the moderators here can do so. Also it is more accessible to people reading on phones, etc.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

You may have to manually rebold/italic stuff.
I havent figured out why but sometimes it pastes with formatting, others without!
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #4
magodamilion

magodamilion can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesmagodamilion can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
You may have to manually rebold/italic stuff.
I havent figured out why but sometimes it pastes with formatting, others without!
Yeah that's what was happening to me when I just copied and pasted it which was why I was curious. That's super annoying having to manually re-italicize.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:37 AM   #5
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

From my experience, you always have to re-do almost all formatting with copy&paste here; sometimes it picks up the parsing, but mostly not.

That is a major annoyance (especially for a compulsory long chapter writer like myself....)

There is an upside to the deficiencies of the system though - see them as a subtle style-guide.

Because excessive bolding, underlining and italics are not a really good style device in fiction anyway. They're often crutches to create individual stylistic devices or ram home meaning where convincing wording sometimes is lacking.

Italics can be helpful to differentiate between like personal and phone conversations, or for reported texts (letters, texts, paper clippings, advertisements, etc). But that's about it.

It took me a while to get to this point - yet I think they were useful lessons. Viewing the system as a sort of silent editor in the background helps in keeping things in perspective.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesJerry Thomas can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
I copy and paste from a standard Word document and the formatting (italics, etc.) are in fact being reproduced. This was not the case for some of my previous submissions. I don't understand why things changed, but as far as I'm concerned, it's all to the good. Somebody's doing something right. Reminder to highlight the entire document after it's been posted (but before hitting "submit") and change the font to SIZE=4. Some writers are not doing this and it makes the stories hard to read because the print is too small (at least for me with my ageing eyes).
Jerry Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #7
magodamilion

Yeah thanks for the info, all of you.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #8
maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon can now change their title

Once I finish a story I save the word document as an HTML file.
The formatting including spacing usually comes along for the ride.
maltesefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #9
Cylon_bob

Cylon_bob can now change their title

Okay, with the formatting, for some reason, at least in my most recent story posts, the font size is changing for no reason. I highlight everything, select size 4, then when I see it on the site, after so many paragraphs, it changes to a smaller size for no reason whatsoever.
Cylon_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:25 AM   #10
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon_bob View Post
Okay, with the formatting, for some reason, at least in my most recent story posts, the font size is changing for no reason. I highlight everything, select size 4, then when I see it on the site, after so many paragraphs, it changes to a smaller size for no reason whatsoever.
I've been having this problem too.

The system only responds to the second or third attempt of formatting - only with Italics is automatically doubles up.

No idea why - my non-technical mind assumes it might have something to do with the changes in the software and compatibility issues.

Just re-do it has turned into my remedy of choice ...
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:10 AM   #11
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I write in word and use the heading functions to seperate my chapters - the weirdest thing i noticed is that 10% of the time it takes all formatting incluidng the header font and size. But 90% it doesnt. Drives me crazy!
Old 06-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
musicman
I hate fat-haters!

musicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging inmusicman makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Why not let people practice uploading?

I think it would be useful to have a forum or sub-forum called "TEST" (or something similar), where people could practice uploading stuff and see how it will look. This would not only be useful for stories, but for other types of posts where you want photos to appear in a specific place in the text, for example. It would help people discover any quirks in the system, before they uploaded their finished works. The posts in the TEST forum would be treated as temporary. Someone (or some automated script) could simply blow away all the posts every week or so, if disk space became a problem.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #13
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Fyi there is a function called preview post at the bottom of each post that lets you do that too