Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 04-07-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Easter Eggs 2015

I didn't see an up to date thread and I hope I'm not too late and everyone has eaten their goodies!

I hard boil eggs every year and force people to decorate them. I use that term loosely as none of us are in the least artistic. I was delighted to find white eggs this year, haven't seen any in the UK in about 35 years. Mine are the one with the weird retro eyes and the swirls. My bf said he would draw me.... I came out with orange hair, green eyes and a boxer's nose, none of which I actually have. My son refused to take part, hence the bare eggs!

I received a large white choc egg from my son and a packet of my favourite Swedish sweets from my bf. What did everyone else get, and do you decorate boiled eggs?
Attached Images
File Type: png boiled eggs.png (507.1 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg choc eggs.jpg (128.0 KB, 123 views)
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:59 AM   #2
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

we didn't do eggs this year so i am really jealous! they are super cute!

i got a bag of hershey nuggets with almonds from the hub.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
we didn't do eggs this year so i am really jealous! they are super cute!

i got a bag of hershey nuggets with almonds from the hub.
thank you!

And yummy for chocolates!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
I was delighted to find white eggs this year, haven't seen any in the UK in about 35 years.
What IS it about brown eggs in the UK? I recall once reading a P.G. Wodehouse novel in which the hero rejoiced at being the first one down to breakfast because he "collared the brown egg." The farm we get our eggs from supplies both brown and white eggs in the same carton (and occasionally a blue or green egg from an araucana chicken), and I can't tell any difference between them!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
What IS it about brown eggs in the UK? I recall once reading a P.G. Wodehouse novel in which the hero rejoiced at being the first one down to breakfast because he "collared the brown egg." The farm we get our eggs from supplies both brown and white eggs in the same carton (and occasionally a blue or green egg from an araucana chicken), and I can't tell any difference between them!
As a young child, all eggs here were white. Then possibly in the mid to late 70s, brown eggs appeared and were seen as "healthy". It seemed to happen around the time of suntans becoming very popular. I honestly believe people felt brown eggs were just more glamorous and/or healthy. Then they just took over. I really hadn't seen a white egg for actually nearer 40 years in the UK. I think I might have seen the occasional white one in Greece or Turkey.

My downstairs neighbour used to buy herself a couple of beautiful big duck eggs from the fishmonger van that came round the streets until about ten years ago. The duck eggs were lovely pale green or blue. She said they tasted just like hen eggs but richer and tastier.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

My Easter eggs hatched into chicks.

Someone asked me to make some cupcakes for a kids' Easter party (as a volunteer, I'm strictly an amateur!), and this was the result:

They actually tasted pretty good, and luckily kids are pretty forgiving when it comes to the decorating.

I'm glad that others here enjoyed their Easter celebrations, too.
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #7
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Aw they are adorable, thanks for sharing! I love that they don't have a massive pile of icing/frosting on top like most fairy cakes seem to have now, it's too much. Yours are perfect. Think I might try these next year!
Old 04-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #8
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
i was surprised to hear this. i googled to find out why. it has to do with the processing of the eggs after they are laid. here in the us they are required to wash and sanitize the eggs for commercial sale. the article i read said that the uk got away from this practice many years ago in order to encourage better eggs in the country. it said something about farmers doing better about keeping their farms/eggs clean as people won't want to buy dirty eggs. it had something to do with wet eggs promoting bacteria and by not washing them before selling it encourages safer eggs. plus they mentioned that most eggs in the uk are locally sourced and not driven as far as they are here in the US.

i learned something new today
Old 04-11-2015, 07:22 AM   #9
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
t has to do with the processing of the eggs after they are laid. here in the us they are required to wash and sanitize the eggs for commercial sale. the article i read said that the uk got away from this practice many years ago in order to encourage better eggs in the country. it said something about farmers doing better about keeping their farms/eggs clean as people won't want to buy dirty eggs. it had something to do with wet eggs promoting bacteria and by not washing them before selling it encourages safer eggs. plus they mentioned that most eggs in the uk are locally sourced and not driven as far as they are here in the US.
I'm still not sure what this has to do with brown vs. white eggs. Is the article saying that eggs in the UK are brown because they're dirty, or that brown eggs are preferred because they don't show dirt as much as white eggs do?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:47 AM   #10
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Brown eggs = more chocolatey taste.

Cadbury eggs, anyone?

A lady I worked with used to make me laugh every Easter. The first year I worked there she told everyone that she wasn't sharing her Easter candy because it only comes out once a year and she wanted to make it last.

I chuckled and reminded her of that remark every year since.....by leaving her a Cadbury egg on her keyboard as a surprise. Never met anyone that loved Easter candy as much as her

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Gingembre
radar detector

Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!Gingembre keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
As a young child, all eggs here were white. Then possibly in the mid to late 70s, brown eggs appeared and were seen as "healthy". It seemed to happen around the time of suntans becoming very popular. I honestly believe people felt brown eggs were just more glamorous and/or healthy. Then they just took over. I really hadn't seen a white egg for actually nearer 40 years in the UK. I think I might have seen the occasional white one in Greece or Turkey.
Ruby's right. Some hens lay brown eggs, some lay white. In the UK the brown eggs were seen as being healthier than white eggs (like brown bread vs white bread) so now pretty much all the farms that sell eggs commercially use the hens that lay brown ones. And smaller sellers too. I can get white eggs from the health food shop round the corner from my house, because they are from a small local seller who happens to mostly keep the hens that lay white shelled eggs.
Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can break your heart - Tim Minchin
Gingembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #12
lille

lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingembre View Post
Ruby's right. Some hens lay brown eggs, some lay white. In the UK the brown eggs were seen as being healthier than white eggs (like brown bread vs white bread) so now pretty much all the farms that sell eggs commercially use the hens that lay brown ones. And smaller sellers too. I can get white eggs from the health food shop round the corner from my house, because they are from a small local seller who happens to mostly keep the hens that lay white shelled eggs.
Exactly. Different breeds of chicken lay differently colored eggs. In general, the breeds that lay white eggs have a higher lay volume which is why you see those most commonly. However, some of the breeds with the best temperaments lay brown eggs, or even blue.

I did not color eggs this year, but my dad did buy me a dark chocolate easter bunny from the chocolatier in town.
lille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #13
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lille View Post
Exactly. Different breeds of chicken lay differently colored eggs. In general, the breeds that lay white eggs have a higher lay volume which is why you see those most commonly. However, some of the breeds with the best temperaments lay brown eggs, or even blue.

I did not color eggs this year, but my dad did buy me a dark chocolate easter bunny from the chocolatier in town.
Yum!