Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

View Poll Results: Should people be able to delete accounts?
I'm 50. 'been 'round here since b4 bell-bottoms. So, not 'less you loud & proud 'bout it like me. 2 8.70%
Maybe. But only if you're, like, having a nervous break-down over it. 1 4.35%
Yes. But you have to go through the paddy wagon first. 7 30.43%
No. There's lots of technical issues involved. Just trust me on this, it's not worth it. 6 26.09%
Same as 4, except: Yes! Do it! 7 30.43%
It should depend mostly on the reason why. Except there can't be a good reason? 0 0%
I don't know/Not sure. 1 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2015, 08:49 PM   #1
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Should people be able to delete their own accounts?

For some reason I'm not quite sure of, this is a topic that comes up from time to time. So, maybe a poll might help to bring some valuable feedback to our current administration. What do you guys think about the issue of people wanting to delete or have their account deleted?

I mean, is it something, maybe, some of you spend a good deal of time & energy worrying about it? Tossing & turning in one's jammies, as if in a bad dream? -Or- is it more like something you actually want to think about? As in, your-fear-is-your-fantasy? (a fetish, possibly? Or scene of some sort? I dunno, I wouldn't really know...)
Yakatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #2
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Texhie tidbit:

You usually cant delete your account. The industry standard is called disable. Reason being: Look at someone like Tad. Deleting his account deletes all his posts, and it would mess up the threads because it would be blank spaces. Do that with many... The data integrity would be comprimised.

Generally, you can choose to disable which hides from people's view...
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

The thing that confuses me is that, with at least a handful of the people I've seen making these requests, I don't see the necessity of it. They haven't posted any pictures that can't be removed. They haven't posted any personal information. Some haven't posted much of anything at all. I guess merely leaving the site and not returning apparently isn't enough?

If the username is the problem, multiple people have demonstrated changing it to be an option. Or at least it used to be.

As for Xyantha's point, anyone who's lurked (or posted) around the forums on FantasyFeeder would understand immediately. Some threads are really wiped out and have posts that quote posts that no longer exist. I imagine it's rather frustrating for anyone trawling through posts for masturbatory material.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I think you should be able to "delete" your account if you so chose to.

That being said....

Most sites allow you to delete and edit things you have posted. Personally I think if you no longer want to associate with a forum it is quite simple, don't post to it and don't log in. Many companies check their boards to check which accounts are active and which have been dormant for a while and will naturally disable them.
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm pretty sure the reason they don't let you delete accounts on here is because it basically makes the forum software implode.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Well, to be honest a good developer would have built in a way for clients to be able to delete accounts without having the software crash. It just isn't the case for this particular software.

To be honest, I am not sure if it states when you first register that accounts can not be deleted. If it doesn't, maybe it should and give people a heads up that once created, accounts can only be deactivated and not deleted. They should also strongly suggest people use something other than their names as usernames because the account can not be deleted.
Just something to consider.
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #7
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Or if you can't delete, grant the ability to blank all your profile info? I was going to say you could change the 'appearance' of your username like facebook, but I hate that feature. I'd never know who any of you were ever again lol.
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default You know...

Dare I say it, that could very well be a practical compromise.

I know past-Admins have let people name-change in the past. So, maybe just-that's not quite the disruption of the time-space continuum as deleting an entire account.

Still, the ethics of indulging the type of antics we've by now grown accustomed to...
Old 05-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #9
RabbitScorpion
vienna carrier-no venom

RabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Solution to the problem of references to deleted posts: Don't delete the former member's posts, but replace the user's screen name with "Former Member ###" and delete any photos (s)he had posted.

"Deceased Member" should be available for Dims members we have lost. I still see people responding to I'm frees" posts.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #10
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

I voted no, a solid no. I volunteer to head up the no faction of extreme Dimensions purists. The No-Bots.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:26 AM   #11
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Yes.

Absolutely Yes.

For better or worse the site contains NSFW content, there are many people who are not here for that, but if a potential employer, tabloid journos, nosey relatives random nutjobs off the internet go poking about the internet you can bet they will dig it up.

And for whatever reason ... some people might not want that to happen, In the interests of privacy You _need_ to be able to delete your profile.

However... I understand that there is a lot of technical detail in adding this kind of functionality to a system after the fact and that it can compromise the structure of the database.

You should be able to disable your profile and have the elements hidden from public view, search engines etc check a box and the account effectively vanishes, the data is still there but no-one can see it (facebook delete) unless you sign back in and reactivate your account. This is more than adequate for most people's requirements.

Complete data wipes should only be done by request and/or as a batch process on accounts disabled for more than e.g. 12 months.
Crumbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #12
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Default ^Yeah, but...

What about Google's way-back machine? I mean, you can't really, properly erase anything that's online, so wouldn't deleting accounts make for a kind of illusion-dangereuse of privacy?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #13
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
What about Google's way-back machine? I mean, you can't really, properly erase anything that's online, so wouldn't deleting accounts make for a kind of illusion-dangereuse of privacy?
What other sites have archived is their business, and it is up to the individual to deal with those as they come up.

Illusion or otherwise, the question was should Dims allow accounts to be deleted.

Even the wayback machine has protocols in place for the removal of material from the archive.

Some countries recognise the ability to delete your internet history as a legal right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_be_forgotten
Old 05-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #14
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Default ^Forgive, my ignorance in this...

But I just assumed that if one knew how to actually use that thing, you could pretty much look up anything that's ever been posted online. No matter how long-ago deleted.

Is that not true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbling View Post
"Even the wayback machine has protocols in place for the removal of material from the archive."
How do you go about having something removed from it? How do they decide what to remove or not? Wouldn't requesting something as such just draw further attention to it?

Are there other versions of the same thing, like the various credit-reporting agencies? So you have to take your own initiative in communicating with them all? And who, actually, can do that? The site owner only? Or individual posters?

Tags
drama-lama, girl's-names-for-guys?, lindsey-michelle, shut up yak, white people crazy, yakatori...why? just-why?