Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 12-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #51
swamptoad
Berry Good!

swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
I find myself quoting this in my head sometimes.....the most beautiful thing I have ever read:

On Children

Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2016, 07:35 PM   #52
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Just recently, I found myself repeating an odd little saying from a former girlfriend's youngest sister (although most of the rest of the family used it, too):

"It's like stapling baloney to your face, don'cha know? God, I hate it when that happens."
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #53
biodieselman

biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!

Borrowed from a fellow union brother in the Operating Engineers and a minister.

"In order to be stabbed in the back...

you must be ahead."

Old 04-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #54
Blackjack_Jeeves
I'm a pepper, too...

Blackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions communityBlackjack_Jeeves is a pillar of the Dimensions community

"Early to rise and early to bed, makes a man wealthy, but socially dead."
"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper." - Rob Serling

"The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

"Isn't it interesting that the same people who laugh at science fiction listen to weather forecasts and economists?" - Kevin Throop III
Blackjack_Jeeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:10 PM   #55
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Another spanish one..

"no le busques traspiés al gato"

Translation: "Don't look for a cat's missteps"

meaning: don't look for problems/errors where there are none..

Cat's rarely misstep/trip over themselves so it is pretty much non existent.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #56
LumpySmile

LumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticed

The pep and driving power of youth is desirable but the best results usually come with maturity, especially maturity which laughs at age. -- Samuel M. Vauclain
LumpySmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #57
LumpySmile

LumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticedLumpySmile never has a post go unnoticed

"You can't make ice cream out of shit." -- Lou Ricillo
LumpySmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:21 AM   #58
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default From Babe Ruth . . .

I heard this in a biography about The Babe: "Never let the fear of striking out get in your way". This thought has been uttered by many over the centuries, in many different ways. It may take a long time to learn, but as I near 80, I think I've got it down pretty well. "Swing for the fences, every time. Don't even look to see if your shoelace is untied. If the ball goes over the fence, you can tie it later."

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #59
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

"Perfection is not attainable, but if you chase perfection, you can catch excellence." -- Vince Lombardi
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:38 PM   #60
x0emnem0x

x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!x0emnem0x keeps pushing the rep limit!

A quote about the claddagh ring from Buffy the Vampire slayer:

“It’s a claddagh ring. The hands represent friendship, the crown represents loyalty… and the heart… Well, you know… Wear it with the heart pointing towards you. It means you belong to somebody….”

A latin quote:

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior."
"I hate and I love. How do I do that, perhaps you ask? I do not know, but I feel it is happening and I am tormented."
x0emnem0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #61
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This is one I've picked up from a co-worker, which explains far too much of what happens around here: "Going too fast to stop for gas."
Old 08-25-2016, 04:11 PM   #62
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

"Clarisse....have the lambs stopped screaming?"

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #63
FreeThinker

FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.FreeThinker has ascended what used to be the highest level.

"If you take a moral stand without being a condescending prick about it have you really taken a moral stand?" -- Cobra Verde

Rep the source material, not my post.
FreeThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:31 PM   #64
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb

This is how it begins...
Old 10-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #65
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default A quote from a philosopher that I didn't know was a philosopher

"I was written off by many who considered me a jellyfish before I set my own course to chart my personal destiny. And I have proved that life can be a beautiful, magnificent thing to even a jellyfish."

Charlie Chaplin (Who would have known?)

I heard this quote for the first time recently on a film bio. of the life of Chaplin. I found many sources for the quote but selected this one for the additional content. Success Soul

Old 10-19-2016, 11:08 PM   #66
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb Take off your mask

I know a stupid HBO cop show isn't really the place to find wisdom but in this winter of my discontent I keep coming back to this:

Quote:
I know who I am. And after all these years there's a victory in that.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #67
Ho Ho Tai

Default Mark Twain . . .

I just ran across this one today, from the folks at FullMoon.info .

Good advice for lots of people, from Full Moon.

"Maybe you know this feeling, treading water and to always be confronted with the same situation or problem. Melancholy, self-doubt and other sinister companions begin to spread, the belief in a positive outcome is lost. But is it truly possible to stand still? Is there a not-develop-oneself? Maybe it is only the similarity of situations that lets us overlook that we are different today, compared to yesterday. Mark Twain phrased it beautifully, "History does not repeat itself, but it does rhyme". We should not be discouraged to be confident in taking large steps."

Old 12-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #68
Ho Ho Tai

Default Philip K. Dick, Ayn Rand

New Scientist (19 Nov 2016) has several interesting quotes in the lead editorial. I can't say they are my favorites - I never heard them before - but each carries a lesson to be ignored at one's own peril.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick

"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." Ayn Rand

Old 12-27-2016, 10:03 AM   #69
Kristal

Kristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging in

"Magic is what you make become." - Kristal
Kristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #70
nitewriter

nitewriter is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynitewriter is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynitewriter is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynitewriter is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynitewriter is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynitewriter is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynitewriter is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynitewriter is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynitewriter is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynitewriter is a pillar of the Dimensions communitynitewriter is a pillar of the Dimensions community

"We has met the Enemy and he is Us!!!"
nitewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:49 PM   #71
AmyJo1976
Corpulently Content

AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

"It's not true I had nothing on. I had the radio on." - Marilyn Monroe
AmyJo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #72
Kristal

Kristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging inKristal makes people happy simply by logging in

"Where is my god damn what-cha-ma-call-it"? - my grandfather
Kristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #73
AmyJo1976
Corpulently Content

AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristal View Post
"Where is my god damn what-cha-ma-call-it"? - my grandfather
lol! My grandfather sounded just like that
AmyJo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #74
socrates74

socrates74 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokessocrates74 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

"Everything is either time or money"
socrates74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #75
swamptoad
Berry Good!

swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!swamptoad keeps pushing the rep limit!

Me fail english? Thats unpossible. Matt Groening

A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx

Be aware of wonder. Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
Robert Fulghum

The greatest wealth is to live content with little. Plato

Tags
quotes, sayings