Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 08-03-2015, 04:24 AM   #1
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Free-from Bake Blog!

Hi there guys! I don't know how many of you are aware of the amazing british TV program 'The Great British Bake Off' but me and my sister have decided to do a 'free-from' baking challenge every week based on the show! The first week is the Madeira cake!

So, if you are interested in checking out some dairy, wheat, gluten and grain free baking, come join our blog!
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i love that show! mary berry looks so sweet, but her standards are crazy high!!!
Old 08-05-2015, 02:15 AM   #3
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
i love that show! mary berry looks so sweet, but her standards are crazy high!!!
I know, right? She is amazing though and I think she would make the best grandma ever!
Old 08-13-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
loopytheone
Administrator

Week Two of the FFBO Blog is up! This week we made biscotti, which I didn't even know were a thing until I had to come up with a recipe! Herp a derp, how do I even baking?
Old 08-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Yes, biscotti are best dunked in espresso....but hot coco might do the job? I'm not sure if melted chocolate will soften them up in the same way?

There is a rather nice biscotti place around the corner from my work, with all sorts of flavours and varieties -- but none of theirs are gluten free. Hah, take that store, out-varietied by a baker who has never had biscotti before!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #6
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

was the free-from part just your own challenge, or is there dietary restrictions that are being accommodated?
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:45 AM   #7
loopytheone
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Yes, biscotti are best dunked in espresso....but hot coco might do the job? I'm not sure if melted chocolate will soften them up in the same way?

There is a rather nice biscotti place around the corner from my work, with all sorts of flavours and varieties -- but none of theirs are gluten free. Hah, take that store, out-varietied by a baker who has never had biscotti before!
I don't know, to be honest! The mocca dip I made was very strongly coffee flavoured, kinda like a super-rich espresso. Which some people liked and other people hated! (I admit, I hate the taste of coffee!)

Oh wow, there is such a thing as a place that sells mainly biscotti? I feel like I might have been missing out! Hahaha, to be fair pretty much everything I make is vegetarian, dairy free and gluten free! I love baking though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
was the free-from part just your own challenge, or is there dietary restrictions that are being accommodated?
It is due to dietary restrictions in my family. Me, my sister, my mum and my aunt all react badly to 'something' in grains and eating wheat, corn, barley, rice etc makes us all quite ill. So none of that. And I also react very badly to dairy so I don't eat that at all either. And I'm vegetarian, so no gelatine etc either. We cook and bake to these dietary restrictions all the time just so I can actually have nice things to eat, but we thought it would be good to show how good free from baking can be. Especially as the blog was inspired by people complaining that free-from baking 'isn't real baking at all', which is obviously a load of rubbish!
Old 08-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #8
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've enjoyed reading your blog, loopy. I'm fortunate not to have any food allergies or dietary restrictions, but it's nice to get a real perspective on baking instead of the idealized version presented on TV.

It's also interesting for someone from the US like me to get a peek into a UK kitchen. The only other one I've ever seen is Nigella Lawson's. So keep up the good work!

P.S. Your kitchen plant looks just like all of the ones I've ever had.
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:33 AM   #9
loopytheone
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBrightside View Post
I've enjoyed reading your blog, loopy. I'm fortunate not to have any food allergies or dietary restrictions, but it's nice to get a real perspective on baking instead of the idealized version presented on TV.

It's also interesting for someone from the US like me to get a peek into a UK kitchen. The only other one I've ever seen is Nigella Lawson's. So keep up the good work!

P.S. Your kitchen plant looks just like all of the ones I've ever had.
Thanks, I'm really glad you've enjoyed it! Today is bread-baking day so wish me luck with that! =D

Hahaha, our kitchen is where the magic happens! I still love the fact that our oven says 'competence' on it! I'm honestly not sure why that plant is still on the windowsill and being watered, it has been like that for weeks! I think I need to tell my mum it is time to move on!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
Thanks, I'm really glad you've enjoyed it! Today is bread-baking day so wish me luck with that! =D

Hahaha, our kitchen is where the magic happens! I still love the fact that our oven says 'competence' on it! I'm honestly not sure why that plant is still on the windowsill and being watered, it has been like that for weeks! I think I need to tell my mum it is time to move on!
I saw that pic, and it cracked me up, too. It inspired me to check the label on my oven, but, alas, there are no such promises. All it says is "Kenmore."

Good luck with the quickbread!
Old 08-17-2015, 01:03 AM   #11
loopytheone
Administrator

Thanks, I'm icing my cake/bread this afternoon! Wish me luck!
Old 08-17-2015, 09:59 AM   #12
MsBrightside

Quote:
Thanks, I'm icing my cake/bread this afternoon! Wish me luck!
The banoffee bread looks wonderful! Your sister's bread is quite nice-looking, too, but I think the glaze on yours is a little more subtle than the custard.

I'm impressed that you actually have a loaf liner. It makes the aluminum foil that I use for that purpose seem pretty lame.

I also love seeing all the unexpected twists and turns during your free-from baking adventure. It reminds me of doing laboratory experiments. Sometimes everything goes smoothly, but most of the time there are areas that require a bit of troubleshooting.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:41 AM   #13
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

This vaguely reminds me of the time I tried to make vegan cake, except everything you make looks delicious and mine was a terrible failure that even wildlife wouldn't eat. I'm not actually much into sweets/baked goods, but your writing is so entertaining that I'll keep reading!

"Will it bread?" sounds like a Youtube series that should exist, similar to "Will it blend?" but less predictable (and also probably less sane.)
Old 08-18-2015, 12:50 AM   #14
loopytheone
Administrator

Quote:
The banoffee bread looks wonderful! Your sister's bread is quite nice-looking, too, but I think the glaze on yours is a little more subtle than the custard.

I'm impressed that you actually have a loaf liner. It makes the aluminum foil that I use for that purpose seem pretty lame.

I also love seeing all the unexpected twists and turns during your free-from baking adventure. It reminds me of doing laboratory experiments. Sometimes everything goes smoothly, but most of the time there areas that require a bit of troubleshooting.
Aww, well thank you very much, that is very sweet of you to say! I'm so happy somebody thinks mine looks nice! =D As for the loaf liner, my sister is to thank for that! She has all sorts of weird and wonderful things related to baking, most of which I have no idea how to use!

That is so true! Maybe that is why I like baking so much, because it is kinda sciencey? Part of the fun of baking is trying to fix things when they go wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
This vaguely reminds me of the time I tried to make vegan cake, except everything you make looks delicious and mine was a terrible failure that even wildlife wouldn't eat. I'm not actually much into sweets/baked goods, but your writing is so entertaining that I'll keep reading!

"Will it bread?" sounds like a Youtube series that should exist, similar to "Will it blend?" but less predictable (and also probably less sane.)
Vegan cakes are difficult! The lack of eggs is the main issue. Aw, well thank you very much! I'm glad you like the baking and the blog! =D

I've seen that youtube channel! 'Will it bread?' sounds like it would be such a fun channel though!
Old 08-25-2015, 01:15 AM   #15
loopytheone
Administrator

My creme brulee turned into scrambled eggs. =/
Old 08-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #16
MsBrightside

Quote:
Aw, I'm sorry the result was so disappointing. I've never made or tasted creme brulee either. It sounds like a very ambitious undertaking, even without the "free-from" aspect.

I hope your sister has better luck!
Old 08-26-2015, 02:19 AM   #17
loopytheone
Administrator

Quote:
Aw, I'm sorry the result was so disappointing. I've never made or tasted creme brulee either. It sounds like a very ambitious undertaking, even without the "free-from" aspect.

I hope your sister has better luck!
Thanks! I'm sure she will figure it out, she has a knack for that sort of thing!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #18
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
boo

Hope this isnt out of line - I highly recommend cooking them in a water bath - its like an insurance policy for your brulee. I also suggest closing the oven door relatively hard (let it fall shut with some force) and looking through the glass. If the surface ripples lightly and evenly like a well fed belly, you are done. If it ripples like liquid it isnt done, and if it doesnt jiggle you have gone too far. When you take it out of the oven it should still be a tiny bit jello-y.
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:33 AM   #19
loopytheone
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
boo

Hope this isnt out of line - I highly recommend cooking them in a water bath - its like an insurance policy for your brulee. I also suggest closing the oven door relatively hard (let it fall shut with some force) and looking through the glass. If the surface ripples lightly and evenly like a well fed belly, you are done. If it ripples like liquid it isnt done, and if it doesnt jiggle you have gone too far. When you take it out of the oven it should still be a tiny bit jello-y.
Not out of line at all, I'm always happy for any help I can get! =D

I did cook them in a water bath, funnily enough. But the recipe I followed told me to put a baking tray on top of the creme brulee cup thingys and so I couldn't see what was going on with them until it came time to get them out of the oven. =/ My sister made hers yesterday though, and apart from dropping one and sending hot cream flying across the kitchen, they came out pretty much perfectly! Her recipe didn't say to cover the creme brulee cups though so she could see what was happening and she used a cooler setting on the oven than my recipe suggested. I think our oven might be slightly over-enthusiastic when it comes to temperature!

Hahaha, I am loving that description of when it is the right consistency! =p
Old 09-03-2015, 05:59 AM   #20
MsBrightside

Congrats to you and your sister this week on some scrumptious-looking cakes!

You had me laughing at your descriptions of the jam-butter sauce.

I was also admiring (and a bit curious about) the misty, ethereal quality to the pics you took of the final product, until I got to the part where you mentioned that you'd smeared jam on the lens of your phone's camera.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #21
lizzie_lotr

lizzie_lotr does more than just post hot picslizzie_lotr does more than just post hot picslizzie_lotr does more than just post hot picslizzie_lotr does more than just post hot pics

Your cake looks so yummy!! I hope you're submitting these pics to The Great British Bake Off - Extra Slice program!
lizzie_lotr is offline   Reply With Quote