Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 08-19-2015, 06:08 AM   #1
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Preferred Nicknames

I couldn't see a thread for this. It came up because some of us have names that easily lend themselves to shortening...some do not. My real name always gets shortened, but some people do weird things to shorten it, so I know we may have 'preferences' around how it is shortened?

What is your preferred nickname here?

Xyantha = Xy

but I don't mind other ways...it just takes me a minute to figure out who they are talking about (XR etc)
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:28 AM   #2
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I don't really care; I'm just happy if it's not something insulting.

My real surname is a foreign jaw-breaker with 12 letters, so if I got my knickers in a twist every time someone pronounced or wrote it according to his or her own inclinations, I'd live in a state of perpetual irritation.

Some people here use a variation of MsB; that works. Or, as a lot of you already know, my first name starts with a K.

Thanks for asking, though. I've wondered the same thing with regard to other posters.
MsBrightside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This is what you get for choosing a name with more than 3 letters ;-)

-T
Old 08-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Nice - MsB it is..

I dunno ..."T" is still pretty long...
Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

Pretty much the same as Ms.B, except mildly insulting is probably acceptable enough.

I don't think my username lends itself to many convenient nicknames. I've hardly ever had nicknames IRL either. So people can call me anything resembling my username or my real name (which are very similar in the first few letters) as long as it's half-recognizable.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #6
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I seem to attract nicknames. I think it is pretty obvious that my online alias/nickname is Loopy, though I do get people call me that in real life sometimes! My family all call me Small or Smally Bear, which is my name in all of their phones. Lots of people shorten my real life name as well, which is kinda impressive as it is only five letters long! Pretty much nobody calls me by the full first name.

My very first nickname? Oaf. My brother and mother used to call me that as a name all the time when I was younger.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #7
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!

You create the best threads, Xy

Nicknaming me takes about as much imagination as I clearly put into choosing my username.

OD has been a real-life nick of mine for years, probably since age 14. So I get good, chummy vibes from people calling me that. That said, I fear no other nicknames!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
I seem to attract nicknames. I think it is pretty obvious that my online alias/nickname is Loopy, though I do get people call me that in real life sometimes! My family all call me Small or Smally Bear, which is my name in all of their phones. Lots of people shorten my real life name as well, which is kinda impressive as it is only five letters long! Pretty much nobody calls me by the full first name.

My very first nickname? Oaf. My brother and mother used to call me that as a name all the time when I was younger.
I've very often been tempted to call you Loops. I might even have caved in the past. Can't quite remember :P
Old 08-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post

Well Loopster, just be glad no one picks the middle part and calls you Theon.

I picked this username without enough thought. I have no clue how to nickname-ify it. Dwe? Westie? I have no preference.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #9
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
Hah!

Quote:
I picked this username without enough thought. I have no clue how to nickname-ify it. Dwe? Westie? I have no preference.
DW?
Old 08-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
Melian
Ultimate Chimera

Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.Melian has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:

Just "D."

The D. Hahaha.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #11
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melian View Post
Just "D."

The D. Hahaha.
But that would be just the tip. Ohhh double pun really, one dirty one not.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:11 AM   #12
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
Xyantha = Xy

but I don't mind other ways...it just takes me a minute to figure out who they are talking about (XR etc)
I kinda call you 'Xyan' in my head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODFFA View Post
OD has been a real-life nick of mine for years, probably since age 14. So I get good, chummy vibes from people calling me that. That said, I fear no other nicknames!

I've very often been tempted to call you Loops. I might even have caved in the past. Can't quite remember :P
My brain kinda abbreviates your username to something along the lines of 'Ode-F', for some reason! It's like my brain read the first three letters and your username and gave up after that!

And that is adorable and you are so welcome to call me that anytime!

Quote:

Loopster makes me sound far more badass than I actually am, I love it! As for your username, I kinda combine both those ones; usually it reads as 'DWestie' to me, for some reason!
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:10 AM   #13
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBrightside View Post
My real surname is a foreign jaw-breaker with 12 letters, so if I got my knickers in a twist every time someone pronounced or wrote it according to his or her own inclinations, I'd live in a state of perpetual irritation.
Riddles like these always set my linguistic imagination wirring!

Which language origin is it? Greek? Thai? Basque? Polish? Icelandic? German? (although that long surnames - like national soccer captain Schweinsteiger - actually an rather rare in a language with many long compound words) Welsh?

Sorry for being curious - but this is a classic trigger question for me!
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:59 AM   #14
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Agouderia - how does one pronounce your name? Mentally i say it like ah-goo-dehr-ee-ah but thats probably wrong. Ive tried to mentally shorten it but based on my mental pronounciation it would be "ah-goo" which just seems odd (some things cant be truncated as easily!)
Old 08-20-2015, 06:06 AM   #15
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post

Which language origin is it? Greek? Thai? Basque? Polish? Icelandic? German? (although that long surnames - like national soccer captain Schweinsteiger - actually an rather rare in a language with many long compound words) Welsh?

Wild guess based on MsB's picture would be somewhere between Hungary and Estonia.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2015, 06:22 AM   #16
MsBrightside

MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MsBrightside has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post

No need for apologies!

Those are good guesses, but it's actually Ukrainian, with that forceful "h" sound (represented inadequately in English by kh) in the middle that resembles someone hawking up a glob of phlegm.

A lot of Texans get squinty-eyed when they see it, and those brave enough to pronounce it tend to treat it like a bomb that's about to detonate. I think they're afraid of offending me by mispronouncing it, but it's really not worth getting fussed about. In fact, it's usually a good excuse for getting someone to call me by my first name instead.

dwesterny (did you settle on a nickname yet?): I'm from central Illinois; I'm not nearly that exotic.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:18 AM   #17
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
Pretty much the same as Ms.B, except mildly insulting is probably acceptable enough.

I don't think my username lends itself to many convenient nicknames. I've hardly ever had nicknames IRL either. So people can call me anything resembling my username or my real name (which are very similar in the first few letters) as long as it's half-recognizable.
Always thought of your username shortened to Amara. Amara is the female lead character in the Furies of Calderon series by Jim Butcher. Admittedly a mediocre writer, but his premises are always so nerdy... Furies is basically about a roman style community and legion with... umm kind of... pokemon inspired "furies".

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #18
biglynch

biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!biglynch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've actually mentally done this for so many of you in my head just because i'm useless at pronunciation.

Loopytheone - Loto

Melian - Mel (imaginative right)

agouderia - Agadoo

The list goes on. dwesterny i'll go with Sterny as it sounds like Ernie. My buddies ether call me Lynch or Lynchburg...I'm cool with anything.
biglynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #19
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

lol.. my user name.. I have gotten luc, loca, l, licca, (I secretly like this one)

my actual name which is short Cindy, I have gotten Dee, C, Cy (not sure why) and Cin, (which normally doesn't bother me, but mysteriously my sister only calls me Cin [sounds like sin] when we are near churches.. )

The one I don't understand is when people hear my name, Cindy and insist on calling me Cynthia no matter how much I tell them Cindy is my actual legal name.

** as a side note: I also have the added benefit of answering the question of, How did a Puerto Rican get the name Cindy?..lol**

Last edited by lucca23v2; 08-20-2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: I had to make a confession
lucca23v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #20
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:

dwesterny (did you settle on a nickname yet?):
I have decided.

Please note in the beginning it took two of them to get stuck walking through a door, this is in fact lame. I can do that alone.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #21
MrSensible
Welcome to Moonside.

MrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
lol.. my user name.. I have gotten luc, loca, l, licca, (I secretly like this one)
I will never be able to see your username and not think of Chrono Trigger -- I love it.

I don't actually have any nicknames myself I guess (aside from this "Sean boy!" thing my dad yells at me when he sees me). Sean is also a pretty tough name to truncate...

As for the username, I've been really tempted to try getting it changed, to be honest. It really is just a reference to an old 90s cartoon, but even I'm starting to find it pretentious when I see it . Similar to MsBrightside, I've seen a few people go with MrS during my time here, and yeah, I think I prefer that, heh.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #22
MsBrightside

Quote:
I have decided.

Please note in the beginning it took two of them to get stuck walking through a door, this is in fact lame. I can do that alone.
LOL. That's a fun video; Chevy Chase is such a goofball. You two should hang out, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSensible View Post
...I've seen a few people go with MrS during my time here, and yeah, I think I prefer that, heh.
I Googled "Mr. S" to try and find a picture of a kids' superhero that I remembered seeing somewhere, but instead this came up as the very first listing:

ETA: After Amaranthine's warning (see below), I decided to go ahead and delete the link here. I'm afraid to think what might come up in a web search for some of our other nicknames now!
Old 08-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #23
Amaranthine
Adamant Anti-Nihilist

Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!Amaranthine keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
I Googled "Mr. S" to try and find a picture of a kids' superhero that I remembered seeing somewhere, but instead this came up as the very first listing:
http://www.mr-s-leather.com/

I'm seeing you in a whole new way now.
Oh my gosh, that's amazing.

But you might want to warn people that that page is SUPER NSFW and covered with dicks. Dicks and kinky leather toys. I haven't yet gotten over the WOOF! muzzle.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #24
MsBrightside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
Oh my gosh, that's amazing.

But you might want to warn people that that page is SUPER NSFW and covered with dicks. Dicks and kinky leather toys. I haven't yet gotten over the WOOF! muzzle.
Thanks for the warning! When I followed the original link, it prompted me to click an "over 18" button to enter the site, and I didn't actually go any further. Apparently I missed out on a few things.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:22 PM   #25
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSensible View Post
I will never be able to see your username and not think of Chrono Trigger -- I love it.
I love Chronotrigger. and that is where I got the name. I played every ending to that game.