Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 08-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #51
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSensible View Post
How do you all feel about having your real names mentioned out in the open on the boards? Are there any netiquette rules you go by (like friends can say it, but it feels kind of disrespectful if said by acquaintances that just happen to know it, etc?)
I am of two minds.

On the one hand I have a highly unique first AND last name that is easily identified. I'm in the security field so I understand how social engineering can work...slowly gathering up all the tidbits that I drop over the years until people know exactly who I am. I had a stalker who I met on Dims, so that makes me a little hesitant and leery, and wouldn't want it put out on all the boards even if people personally know it.

On the other hand, I am of the personality type that when I like someone, I like them wholeheartedly, and tend to want to be closer aquaintances and share information like names, interests etc and get to know them better. Hiding my name is a level of reserve that sometimes frustrates me, especially when others are willing to share their names - but saying your name is "Matt" or "Joe" isn't unique. My name is more so, so it isn't equivalent. But social etiquette also kind of dictates when one person shares there name, you share yours as well.

So I WANT to, but I am leery of it.
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #52
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
My real name is hidden in my username, doesn't bother me much.
Hidden you say? Tricky. Must be an anagram, you can't fool me.

Battm
Tabmt
Mabtt

DAMN YOU!
Old 08-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #53
MrSensible
Welcome to Moonside.

MrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
I am of two minds.

On the one hand I have a highly unique first AND last name that is easily identified. I'm in the security field so I understand how social engineering can work...slowly gathering up all the tidbits that I drop over the years until people know exactly who I am. I had a stalker who I met on Dims, so that makes me a little hesitant and leery, and wouldn't want it put out on all the boards even if people personally know it.

On the other hand, I am of the personality type that when I like someone, I like them wholeheartedly, and tend to want to be closer aquaintances and share information like names, interests etc and get to know them better. Hiding my name is a level of reserve that sometimes frustrates me, especially when others are willing to share their names - but saying your name is "Matt" or "Joe" isn't unique. My name is more so, so it isn't equivalent. But social etiquette also kind of dictates when one person shares there name, you share yours as well.

So I WANT to, but I am leery of it.
Very, very good point. I hadn't even considered the possible implications of using someone's name openly when it's particularly unique (incidentally, we just went over a whole section on social engineering in my last IS course.)

And that is really, truly terrible about the stalker. It's always a discouraging reality check to think that even a place like Dims has people like that lurking around within it. It makes it even more understandable why you'd be leery about using/someone else using your real name, despite wanting the option otherwise. I think it's probably always best to play it safe when there are potentially big risks involved.

Thanks for the unique (pun somewhat intended) perspective.

Last edited by MrSensible; 08-23-2015 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Little correction
MrSensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #54
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

This is a tangent I guess, but I find the transition from old fashioned confidence schemes (cons) to modern scams and social engineering fascinating.

For example the Nigerian Prince e-mail was around for hundreds of years as the Spanish Prisoner con. Before computers cons had to be smart enough to work on whoever could be found now most cons on the computer are designed to be extremely stupid. The reason being you used to have say 100 or 50 people to choose from to try and run a con on. Now you can send your shark snot cures diabetes e-mail to a million people and filter that down to the most gullible 0.01 percent and have 100 of the dumbest suckers. Then once you have filtered down to the very dumbest you make the scam a little trickier but you have already filtered out most of those who would realize and call the cops etc...

Also I'm still not convinced all these too good to be true Dims ladies are not really croatian social engineers getting ready to spring their scams on me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #55
lucca23v2
Curves for miles

lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!lucca23v2 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Dwest... I think you meant to post this on another thread... other than the same con being called different things, not surr how it relates...but who knows.. I might be missing the correlation altogether.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2015, 08:18 AM   #56
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca23v2 View Post
Dwest... I think you meant to post this on another thread... other than the same con being called different things, not surr how it relates...but who knows.. I might be missing the correlation altogether.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Nah, Xy and Seansible were talking about social engineering which is a form of con.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #57
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I only mention it because it happened - i dont hold grudges against people who had nothing to do with anything...was just more of a sadface

Yes, social engineering, phishing, spoofing...they are all crazy and can inadvertantly tempt the best of us! When it is done well, it isnt just the .01 percent, its like...the average person!

*hides her pad she was taking notes on* curses, i have been discovered!!! lmao

As for being Croatian? I would have a gorgeous tan. You can tell I am Canadian becausr i am whiter than the driven snow.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:24 AM   #58
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Oh - and aside?

I wasnt called by my full name unless i was in trouble, so the first two years or work were filled with anxiety every time someone said my name - because this sort of viceral fear went through me that i was in trouble!!
Old 08-24-2015, 08:32 AM   #59
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
I only mention it because it happened - i dont hold grudges against people who had nothing to do with anything...was just more of a sadface

Yes, social engineering, phishing, spoofing...they are all crazy and can inadvertantly tempt the best of us! When it is done well, it isnt just the .01 percent, its like...the average person!

*hides her pad she was taking notes on* curses, i have been discovered!!! lmao

As for being Croatian? I would have a gorgeous tan. You can tell I am Canadian becausr i am whiter than the driven snow.
Most these days work based on numbers but some are more targeted and in depth for sure. I swear 8 of 10 purebred puppies on craigslist are scams.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:32 AM   #60
Wanderer
Actor at Extra-Large

Wanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot picsWanderer does more than just post hot pics

Me, I just prefer Wanderer -- I wouldn't go by the name if I didn't like it. Some of my friends occasionally shorten it to "Wan" (or, very rarely, "Wandy"), but "Wanderer" is a good name for me. It just sort of came to me the day I had to choose my online handle, back in the 90's.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #61
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

In my years of warcraft playing I had so many handles for characters I got used to being called anything.

Skipey, Stompey, Smashey, Randflag, Usul, Sadcow, Fozzie, Stabeymcslice (dagger rogue), Reztimer and a hunter named Sthompson.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #62
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha is my game handle. I am always traumatized on the very rare occassion it is taken.

Even on Teamspeak with my friends we often refer to each other by our game nicknames.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #63
RentonBob
I always get back up...

RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!RentonBob has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Most people just call me Bob. My ID is a combo of the city I grew up in and my name. Most of my close friends and people that know me really well call me Bubba which is a nickname one of my football coaches gave to me.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #64
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Come to think of it, the whole 'unique name' thing might be part of the reason I am wary of my real name being used online. My name isn't unique by far, but it is unusual enough that it would make it quite a bit easier to find me IRL if somebody was so inclined.

Of course, there are plenty of people on here who know what my name is and I have no problem with them using it, but like I said, kinda wary about it being used on public forums for that reason.

And Xyan, I so know what you mean! Believe it or not, people growing up very, very rarely called me by my full name and I still feel a bit weird now if people I'm friends with call me that! There is a guy at the place I volunteer who really likes my full name though and frequently yells it across the farm when he sees me!
loopytheone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:46 PM   #65
MrSensible
Welcome to Moonside.

MrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging inMrSensible makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
Nah, Xy and Seansible were talking about social engineering which is a form of con.

The "Seansible" thing is starting to grow on me.

Quote:
Every one of those terms is still fresh on my mind (along with the more specific/targeted forms like "spear" phishing.) I love that kind of wordplay, heh.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:57 AM   #66
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

After over a year I decided. "Slim" is my preferred nickname.

Speaking of which, a moment to remember Slim Pickens. Here's a clip! I'll be damned if the last 45 seconds or so doesn't make me think of the current state of the Republican party.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:14 AM   #67
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb

I like it when a y is added to the first part of a name. So Cobra Verdy would be ideal.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:21 AM   #68
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Verde View Post
So Cobra Verdy would be ideal.
Actually that sounds like a very interesting cocktail.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #69
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #70
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
Furies is basically about a roman style community and legion with... umm kind of... pokemon inspired "furies".
He wrote it on a bet... Write a good story based on two lame ideas.
'Lost legion' & 'pokemon'
Old 10-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #71
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Siri calls me "Big Daddy."