Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Clothing/Fashion

Old 11-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
Eugene94

Eugene94 has said some nice things
Question How to look at and appreciate clothing?

I am new here and am hoping to find an answer to something that has been bothering me for quite some time. I am a guy and I and not really too into clothing and I would hate shopping for clothing.

But quite recently I realized that clothing is something of an art form.
Girls are especially really good and it seems like an innate ability when it comes to choosing their outfits and expressing themselves as an individual and their moods or feelings through their clothing. On top of that also to be able to combine each article of clothing with taste to look amazing as a whole. I realized that each article of clothing is important to a woman and plays a big role in their life. Their seems to be some kind of beauty that is seen in clothing that I do not see.

Where do I start?
I want to be able to look at clothing and appreciate it fully the way the wearer appreciates and cherishes it. I want to understand why a person wore what he or she is wearing, just by looking at them. I want to be able to compliment a person from the effort that was put into an outfit, I want to derive inspiration from looking at someones outfit or from looking at an article of clothing. I want clothing to be important to me just like it is important to any wearer I see.

When you want to see the person, you look at the face, and you can see the entire person. Is this the same with clothing?

For example if I was to full appreciate a jacket or dress where is the "face" of this article of clothing? How much to I pay attention to the details? Where do I stop? What is the appropriate or "normal" view I can take when it comes to looking and fully appreciating what a person is wearing, and perhaps derive inspiration for my own wardrobe and outfit ideas? I do not want to become obsessed over clothing, but I do want to understand.

Any good books or activities I could do that would help me?

I Hope this new thread will be insightful and helpful to all! Thank you.
Eugene94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Clothing is pretty much like anything else: to appreciate it, you have to know all the details of how the finished product comes to be. The best thing you could do would be to find a master tailor and apprentice yourself. Failing that, I'd say, go to a tailor shop and ask the tailor the questions you posted above. You might also call a local clothing store (if you can find one that isn't part of a chain), ask who their buyer is, and set up an appointment to ask what he/she looks for in clothes. In a case like this, people are better than books, because they can respond to your questions.

Note to FA's: there have been several posts over the years from guys who say they don't know how to start a conversation with girls. Eugene has just shown you the way. If you think the lady looks nice, compliment her on her outfit, and confess that you don't know a rat's patoot about selecting clothing. Could she offer you a few pointers...?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Feelgood View Post
Clothing is pretty much like anything else: to appreciate it, you have to know all the details of how the finished product comes to be. The best thing you could do would be to find a master tailor and apprentice yourself. Failing that, I'd say, go to a tailor shop and ask the tailor the questions you posted above. You might also call a local clothing store (if you can find one that isn't part of a chain), ask who their buyer is, and set up an appointment to ask what he/she looks for in clothes. In a case like this, people are better than books, because they can respond to your questions.

Note to FA's: there have been several posts over the years from guys who say they don't know how to start a conversation with girls. Eugene has just shown you the way. If you think the lady looks nice, compliment her on her outfit, and confess that you don't know a rat's patoot about selecting clothing. Could she offer you a few pointers...?
This is essence is good advice, even though as a woman I strongly recommend to do some serious testing and play-acting of the 'Note' before trying it on someone you care about. Most men are no good in feigning fashion interest.

Since fashion history is a bit of a hobby horse of mine, maybe some ideas for a few classic reads:

Francois Boucher: 20,000 Years of Fashion (the standard read)

Christian Dior's: The Little Dictionary of Fashion

Edith Head: "How to Dress for Success" (the original 1967 version)

Nina Garcia: The Little Black Book of Style

The most relevant regular publication for fashion & textile pros still is Women's Wear Daily (now in the online version wwd.com)

Happy Reading!
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
Awen9
On Timeout

Awen9 has said some nice things

Hi,
Clothing is the thing that can totally change your look and personality. There are a variety of clothes available in market, but it is important always wear clothes that suit to your personality. I love shopping of clothes. I love to wear jeans and t-shirts in daily routine.
I prefer to wear sari, lehanga and suit occasionally.
Thanks!!
Awen9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:47 PM   #5
SammyGregory

SammyGregory has said some nice things

I agree with the books and other suggestions. Also you can walk around stores and see how the mannequins are dressed without it being awkward. If looking at a specific persons outfit don't do it for more than a couple seconds otherwise they'll feel awkward. Hope you learn about what clothing works for you and can appreciate it more! People watching at the mall can be fun and less obvious as well, fun to bring a friend too.
SammyGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:16 AM   #6
Tabitha1950

Tabitha1950 has said some nice things

Maybe a fashion class? Or go to the mall and subtlety people watch and note what you like on someone and why
Tabitha1950 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
art, clothing, confused, fashion, understand