Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

Old 04-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #1
op user

op user can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesop user can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default "Gaining weight at her size is not easy anymore"

This is taken from another thread and prompts me a question/observation: if budget for food is available (I understand that just to maintain an X amount of weight requires a Y amount of calories) why a 500 lbs woman has difficulties to gain?
op user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:19 AM   #2
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Well, like you said, the bigger a person is the more calories it takes to maintain that weight. Therefore, the more you have to eat to gain weight. And sure, money is often an issue when it comes to getting enough food but even if you have all the money/food in the world that doesn't mean you are going to have the appetite/desire to eat thousands of calories every single day.

A very rough and ready calculator online* suggests a young, sedentary 500lb woman would need to eat >3,500 calories a day just to maintain her weight. Or Well over 4,000 calories a day to gain any weight. 4,000 calories every day. Whilst certainly possible, I don't think eating that much every day would necessarily be enjoyable for most people.

* Yes, I know those calculators are hugely flawed as they don't account of things like variations in metabolism, genetic differences in body structure etc etc. But they are useful for proving a general, population-level point even if they don't necessarily work on an individual level.
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:54 AM   #3
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Our bodies have a lot of feedback mechanisms, including those affecting hunger and saying it. It gets hard to eat ever more, but the body may also reduce hunger in many circumstances, such as trying to maintain or return to a weight set point. From what little I've heard we aren't all that good at growing new fatcells as adults, and existing cells can only swell up so large, so maybe it simply gets hard for the body to store more fat.

But maybe most likely is health problems becoming more common and severe, which will of course have an impact.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
DaveTheBrave

DaveTheBrave has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
Well, like you said, the bigger a person is the more calories it takes to maintain that weight. Therefore, the more you have to eat to gain weight. And sure, money is often an issue when it comes to getting enough food but even if you have all the money/food in the world that doesn't mean you are going to have the appetite/desire to eat thousands of calories every single day.

A very rough and ready calculator online* suggests a young, sedentary 500lb woman would need to eat >3,500 calories a day just to maintain her weight. Or Well over 4,000 calories a day to gain any weight. 4,000 calories every day. Whilst certainly possible, I don't think eating that much every day would necessarily be enjoyable for most people.

* Yes, I know those calculators are hugely flawed as they don't account of things like variations in metabolism, genetic differences in body structure etc etc. But they are useful for proving a general, population-level point even if they don't necessarily work on an individual level.
Yes, in my experience this is very true. The thing is that when you're eating 3,500-4,000 calories a day, you're eating A LOT. Moreover, even living a life where you get out of bed occasionally, run errands, use the restroom, do dishes...you burn a good baseline of calories --> especially because you haul around so much weight while doing it!! Flip side is that bed-bound people apparently can put on a quick 100lbs after becoming immobile in part because they suddenly don't burn as many calories.*

* (Not something I have personally experienced, but they describe it in My 600 Lb Life, and it makes sense.)
DaveTheBrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:10 PM   #5
op user

op user can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesop user can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Thanks for the answers.

In Greece there is an expression "your appetite is enhanced by eating". So I would thought that those small errands etc can make room for more food.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #6
ShakesSphere

ShakesSphere can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesShakesSphere can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesShakesSphere can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I eat to capacity for 4 or 5 meals a day and my weight has been steady at 430 for three years now. It's a myth or maybe a fantasy that you will keep on gaining forever.
ShakesSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:58 AM   #7
op user

Isn't what it is called a plateau and once overcome getting bigger is very easy?
Old 04-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #8
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yes it sounds like a plateau thing to me and its pretty common.
I had times where I would reach a weight and stay there even tho' I didn't change eating habits.
For me during those times after my metabolism adjusted I would have a period that my weight would make a huge jump like 15 20 lbs.
Everyone is different so saying X number of calories equals Y to maintaining or gaining weight really isn't the case.
In my case after a plateau it is very easy to gain.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote