Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 04-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #1
rabbitislove
24 Carrot Magic

rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default What are you nerds reading these days?

Just curious about what ya'll are reading these days. Im working through the Harry Potter series because I didnt read it 10 years ago.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:17 PM   #2
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Haruki Murakami for my last 3 books, excellent surreal fiction. Momo by Michael Ende (wrote The Neverending Story) was recommended to me so that might be next.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:24 AM   #3
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I just started Hobb's most recent Farseer trilogy...

I've been reading some Peter Clines, Kevin Hearn and Ransom Riggs too.
I'm a bit behind on my reading this year tbh.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:32 AM   #4
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Practical Programming for Strength Training by Rippetoe and Baker.
The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (my latest escapism fiction)
You Get So Alone At Times That It Just Makes Sense by Bukowski (usually one I thumb through and read when I don't have much time to read)
Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #5
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
You Get So Alone At Times That It Just Makes Sense by Bukowski (usually one I thumb through and read when I don't have much time to read)
This is my favorite Bukowski poem:

Charles Bukowski - How Is Your Heart?
during my worst times
on the park benches
in the jails
or living with
whores
I always had this certain
contentment-
I wouldn't call it
happiness-
it was more of an inner
balance
that settled for
whatever was occuring

and it helped in the
factories
and when relationships
went wrong
with the
girls.
it helped
through the
wars and the
hangovers
the backalley fights
the
hospitals.
to awaken in a cheap room
in a strange city and
pull up the shade-
this was the craziest kind of
contentment

and to walk across the floor
to an old dresser with a
cracked mirror-
see myself, ugly,
grinning at it all.
what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire.

And see I didn't even make a Charles Bukake joke.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:48 AM   #6
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
And see I didn't even make a Charles Bukake joke.
In Your FACE!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
BigChaz
His Eggy Roundness

BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I never learned to read thanks for bringing it up
BigChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbling View Post
In Your FACE!
If we keep this bukake stuff up this whole thread will be covered in white text
Old 04-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
rabbitislove
24 Carrot Magic

rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChaz View Post
I never learned to read thanks for bringing it up
Then how to you read the Dims threads?
Old 04-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
BigChaz
His Eggy Roundness

BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BigChaz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitislove View Post
Then how to you read the Dims threads?
Sorry, what? I can't read; please use spoken word.
BigChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:13 AM   #11
lovelymars908
BHM Writer

lovelymars908 has said some nice things

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
lovelymars908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #12
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've started two books recently -- a nonfiction about sensory defensiveness I've been wanting to get to for about 5 years now, called Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight. And also The Book Thief.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:57 AM   #13
RainbowRage

RainbowRage can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesRainbowRage can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Thinking of starting my third reread of The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear.

Love those books. Can't wait for Rothfuss to finally release the third one in the series.
RainbowRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:55 AM   #14
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm about halfway through Brad Warner's There Is No God And He Is Always With You.
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:01 PM   #15
Durin

Durin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized rep

Fall of Light- Steven Erickson
Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #16
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Mercedes Lackey Valdemar stuff.

Although I enjoy it, i forgot how heavy handed some of the explanatory stuff is
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #17
Durin

Durin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized repDurin has super-sized rep

Another Valdemar reader. What series? I have not bought the new mags series yet.
Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:51 AM   #18
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Mags series LOL.

It's good, just not as "heart string" as the last books i read. But there are companions, which is always fun

Just finished book 4, starting book 5 tonight
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #19
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

After rereading "Breakfast of Champions" by Kurt Vonnegut I started reading "The Laundry Files" series by Charles Stross based on the recommendation of some crazy overall wearing Scotsman. Awesome series outer gods and computer hacking mashed together.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #20
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Currently reading 'The Nymphos of Rocky Flats' which is an urban fantasy novel about a vampire detective.

I recently finished 'the nightmare stacks' which is the most recent chapter in the laundry files.

Though right now. I am having to stave off a pooch trying to climb into my lap.
Because even though he's got no time for me if there are more interesting people around... We are apparently thunder buddies for life.

ETA.

When you hear the sound of thunder,
don't you get too scared
Just grab your thunder buddy,

and say these magic words:
F**k you, Thunder! You can suck my d!!k
You can't get me,Thunder,
because you're just God's farts
THRRRRRP

Last edited by Crumbling; 07-19-2016 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Thunder buddies for life.
Crumbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:07 AM   #21
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!ODFFA keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Currently reading 'The Nymphos of Rocky Flats' which is an urban fantasy novel about a vampire detective.

I recently finished 'the nightmare stacks' which is the most recent chapter in the laundry files.

Though right now. I am having to stave off a pooch trying to climb into my lap.
Because even though he's got no time for me if there are more interesting people around... We are apparently thunder buddies for life.

ETA.

When you hear the sound of thunder,
don't you get too scared
Just grab your thunder buddy,

and say these magic words:
F**k you, Thunder! You can suck my d!!k
You can't get me,Thunder,
because you're just God's farts
THRRRRRP
Google helped me remember where I'd heard that song before. ⊂(・(ェ)・)⊃
It would've plagued me all day otherwise.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:37 AM   #22
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODFFA View Post
Google helped me remember where I'd heard that song before. ⊂(・(ェ)・)⊃
It would've plagued me all day otherwise.
He can take me or leave me most of the time. He's never quite forgiven me for leaving him with my mother for a month while I eloped. I'm definitely the boss... but he loves Mrs.C and my mother better... (they don't ever get stuck with jobs that upset him like brushing, dematting or pulling ticks)

But when he's afraid or upset, He likes to climb up into my lap and do simple maths on the numberpad... I think it calms him.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #23
ODFFA
Ainsi sera...

Quote:
He can take me or leave me most of the time. He's never quite forgiven me for leaving him with my mother for a month while I eloped. I'm definitely the boss... but he loves Mrs.C and my mother better... (they don't ever get stuck with jobs that upset him like brushing, dematting or pulling ticks)

But when he's afraid or upset, He likes to climb up into my lap and do simple maths on the numberpad... I think it calms him.
Wise puppy. Keep that brain busy so it can't catastrophise.

I can very much relate to this scenario. My 2 little Jackschunds, who happen to have that same colouring, side-eye me like asshole cats when I try to pay them attention. Until either I have enticing human food, or it's the apocalypse ( = thunder/fireworks).

As for reading, I'm currently on The Six Pillars Of Self-Esteem by Nathaniel Branden. It's a very pleasant surprise so far. Neither trite & clichéd, nor too fanatically objectivist. I'm getting a lot from it
Old 07-22-2016, 06:18 AM   #24
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I just finished The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins. It was an unusual mix of (to me) good and bad. I guess you could call it somewhere between urban fantasy, a super-hero story, and a non-religious take on the book of Revelations. Some of the world building I found suspect, there were a few plot holes, a bit of deus ex machina near the end .... but on the other hand some great writing, laugh out loud moments, strongly etched characters who I quickly came to care about, a mystery that keeps most of the book moving along, and some quite original bits of both world building and scene building.

Ultimately the use of strong writing talents in service of some rather violent and gory scenes put me in the 'maybe I'd have preferred not to have read it' because a lot of scenes have been stuck in my head since, and overall I'd rather they weren't. But if you don't mind reading a bit in first person where someone is finding out just how a lion that wants revenge will kill your POV character, or having characters observe that the gore on the china cabinet appeared to mostly be bits of lung, the strengths of the book may outweigh the negatives for you -- there really is a lot of good in there.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:55 PM   #25
FatAndProud

FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.FatAndProud has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Attachment 124923

........I'm a masochist.
FatAndProud is offline   Reply With Quote