Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 07-29-2016, 09:12 PM   #26
kittymahlberg

kittymahlberg does more than just post hot picskittymahlberg does more than just post hot picskittymahlberg does more than just post hot pics

Talk nerdy to me! I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Though my only copy of a Harry Potter book is the first volume . . . in Latin.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:31 AM   #27
happily_married
Happy to be part of Dims!

happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!happily_married has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I was on a road trip the other day and stopped in a B&N to get a Starbuck's. On a whim I stopped by the new releases to see if there was anything new from Harlan Coben on the shelf. His latest, "Fool me Once" just happened to be there. I'll be getting started on it right away!
happily_married is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:07 AM   #28
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Just finished Beautiful Struggle by Ta-Nehisi Coates. An excellent coming of age memoir.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:02 PM   #29
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymahlberg View Post
Talk nerdy to me! I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Though my only copy of a Harry Potter book is the first volume . . . in Latin.
I found a lot of interesting bits in Cryptonomicon, but it was such a sprawl of a book I also got aggravated by it .... I hope you have more patience for the diversions and side stories than I did!
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #30
rabbitislove
24 Carrot Magic

rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
I LOVE Neil Stephenson. Snow Crash got me to fall in love with sci fi/fiction.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #31
kittymahlberg

kittymahlberg does more than just post hot picskittymahlberg does more than just post hot picskittymahlberg does more than just post hot pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I found a lot of interesting bits in Cryptonomicon, but it was such a sprawl of a book I also got aggravated by it .... I hope you have more patience for the diversions and side stories than I did!
Yeah, it's definitely a picaresque novel in the old style. You have to enjoy that sort of thing. But you're talking to the gal who zipped through War and Peace and loved every minute! I guess for me, books like that are almost a cross between a novel and a short story collection, and therefore easy to dip in and out of. That said, the length alone is intimidating! But I enjoyed Anathem, which was a similar length, and also not super tightly structured.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #32
Sasquatch!
A wild loser appeared!

Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Trainee wizard police officer solving mysteries, f***ing rivers, seducing vamp-gina monster girls and fighting Old Boy Evil Wizard (tm) books.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #33
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

You tease, Sassy! What title(s)?
Old 08-10-2016, 02:08 AM   #34
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
You tease, Sassy! What title(s)?
Ben Aaronovich's "PC Grant/Rivers of London" series. The first novel is called "Rivers of London" but was also sold with the title "Midnight Riot" in the US.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:00 AM   #35
Sasquatch!
A wild loser appeared!

Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sasquatch! has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbling View Post
Ben Aaronovich's "PC Grant/Rivers of London" series. The first novel is called "Rivers of London" but was also sold with the title "Midnight Riot" in the US.
Ding ding ding!!
Old 08-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #36
Tad
mostly harmless

Hold placed at the Library -- looking forward to it!
Old 09-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #37
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

I just finished the most recent novel in "The Laundry File" series and now need more suggestions. Halp!
Old 09-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #38
djudex
I'm out

djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!djudex has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Talk nerdy to me! I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitislove View Post
I LOVE Neil Stephenson. Snow Crash got me to fall in love with sci fi/fiction.
Right now I'm reading REAmDe, someone got me all up in its business

I'd have to agree with you Tad, Neil Stephenson is a very wordy fella. He diverts into strangely detailed backstories and tangents that really don't have a lot to do with the plot and serve no purpose other than to pad things up. Still, it's been a good read so far!

"Quia Sic Dico"
djudex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #39
rabbitislove
24 Carrot Magic

rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djudex View Post
Right now I'm reading REAmDe, someone got me all up in its business
Some vile nerdy seductress, no doubt.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #40
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Necronomicon by H.P. Lovecraft
Old 10-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #41
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Crumbling has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Recently...

Stilletto by Daniel O'Malley... Second in the series that started with 'The Rook'

The original was a strong premise/setting with a few weaknesses in the writing. Stilletto was a worthwhile followup, it built on the setting, developed the characters, despite giving them a back seat to new ones, and gave us a fresh take on everything we thought we knew... and I think the author has really found his voice.

The Purloined Poodle by Kevin Hearn. A novella from Hearn's Iron druid series.
Told from Oberon's Point of view, the novella see's him convince the Iron Druid, Atticus, to investigate the theft of a number of showdogs.
I've recently realised that while I love the setting and worldbuilding for Hearn's series... the protagonists are a shower of arseholes. Except for Oberon, who is an Irish Wolfhound.

The Black Company, Glen Cook's classic military fantasy, following the exploits of a mercenary company in the employ of the bad guys...
Old 10-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #42
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbling View Post
Recently...

The Black Company, Glen Cook's classic military fantasy, following the exploits of a mercenary company in the employ of the bad guys...
I really enjoyed the first five or six of them that I read. Admittedly my interest waned after that.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:48 PM   #43
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb

Mark Z Danielewski's The Fifty Year Sword

It gives me the urge to text Burroughs in hell and apologize for ever complaining that Naked Lunch was hard to follow.

Also, YOU'RE the nerd!!1
Old 10-02-2016, 11:19 PM   #44
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Still a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging in

I'm currently working on Bradbury's FAHRENHEIT 451...yeah, it's decades old and still relevant as hell today!

Plus it's one of the reasons I chose librarianship as a profession.

Read on everyone

Michelle (Read or Dream)
Still a Skye fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:10 AM   #45
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still a Skye fan View Post
I'm currently working on Bradbury's FAHRENHEIT 451...yeah, it's decades old and still relevant as hell today!

Plus it's one of the reasons I chose librarianship as a profession.

Read on everyone
It's one of the reasons I chose to be a Fireman....

... Boy was I disappointed.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #46
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesterny View Post
I really enjoyed the first five or six of them that I read. Admittedly my interest waned after that.
It did hit a rough patch in the middle, but I thought the last couple were really good.

=======================

Wife and I have been reading the "Souless" series. As Wikipedia puts it: "Soulless is a steampunk paranormal romance novel by Gail Carriger" It is complete fluff, the sort of book you dash through quickly, frequently giggling and always eager to find out how things play out. A side bonus for me is that , the main character is apparently of somewhat more than stylish proportions and rather definite on the subject of getting fed regularly. Side bonus for some others may be that there are plenty of hunky werewolves who regularly find themselves without clothes after changing back to human, while others may enjoy the very dandyish vampire, while yet others may enjoy the charming dimples on the inventor lady who has a crush on the main character ....
Old 10-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #47
Crumbling
Distilled Evil

Quote:
It did hit a rough patch in the middle, but I thought the last couple were really good.

=======================

Wife and I have been reading the "Souless" series. As Wikipedia puts it: "Soulless is a steampunk paranormal romance novel by Gail Carriger" It is complete fluff, the sort of book you dash through quickly, frequently giggling and always eager to find out how things play out. A side bonus for me is that , the main character is apparently of somewhat more than stylish proportions and rather definite on the subject of getting fed regularly. Side bonus for some others may be that there are plenty of hunky werewolves who regularly find themselves without clothes after changing back to human, while others may enjoy the very dandyish vampire, while yet others may enjoy the charming dimples on the inventor lady who has a crush on the main character ....
I liked Carringer's Parasol Protectorate too... as you say, unapologetic fluff, the prequel and sequel series are fun too.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:49 PM   #48
lille

lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!lille has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I recently started reading Odd Girl Out on my therapist's recommendation. It's about aggression and bulllying in girls.
lille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:23 PM   #49
freakyfred
\_(O_o)_/

freakyfred has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!freakyfred has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!freakyfred has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!freakyfred has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!freakyfred has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!freakyfred has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!freakyfred has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!freakyfred has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!freakyfred has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!freakyfred has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!freakyfred has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Just started From Hell by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell. It's huuuge. But I'm digging it so far.
freakyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #50
Sculptor

Sculptor carries a lot of weight on this boardSculptor carries a lot of weight on this boardSculptor carries a lot of weight on this boardSculptor carries a lot of weight on this boardSculptor carries a lot of weight on this boardSculptor carries a lot of weight on this board

I was gifted the Mr. Mercedes trilogy so I just started the third one, Stephen King's End of Watch. I haven't read fiction for approx 3 yrs, so it's been interesting for me to get away from my usual arena.
Sculptor is offline   Reply With Quote