Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 04-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #1
kittymahlberg

kittymahlberg does more than just post hot picskittymahlberg does more than just post hot picskittymahlberg does more than just post hot pics
Default BHM Dolls (Not What it Sounds Like)

So I'm going to come out . . . as the crazy doll lady. Sort of. I only have a couple collector's dolls of my own, but have lately gotten into painting, costume design, and general customizing of dolls, mainly what are known as Asian ball jointed dolls or BJDs. (Those with pediophobia or fear of dolls, do not look these up--some of them look so alive my husband has confused them for photos of people when he walks by the computer!)

I've also begun sculpting dolls, and am learning about how to reproduce my clay sculptures using various techniques and materials. So one night, I come across a video of this guy in Japan who makes customized replacement parts for a particular brand of anime doll. Specifically, he produces soft chest pieces with gigantic, soft, squishy, jiggly silicone boobies.

I'm like, "Ugh, so dumb, much weird, why guys like boobies so much?"

And then I come across a thread where people are debating materials for (what I think are rather creepy) super-realistic infant baby dolls, and one objects to the very soft silicone because it feels too "squishy" and "quivering."

And suddenly I'm like, "But wait--this means I could sculpt something that was big and squishy and jiggly ALL OVER and especially in the TUM."

Not like a sex doll--get your mind out of the gutter! Just a mini-BHM for admiring and squishing affectionately. Le sigh.

#howmymindworks #IamnobetterthanJapanpervdollmaker
Old 04-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Haha! Jiggle and squish OBVIOUSLY go hand and hand with belly!

Now i am intrigued, and will have to look this up tomorrow
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #3
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Daaaawww, that would be adorable! If you do end up making something like that I think we'd all love to see pictures!

EDIT: Also, does 'BHM Dolls' sound like the name of a gay boyband to anybody else, or just is it me? =p
loopytheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:40 PM   #4
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Maybe I'm weird ..... but a soft, cuddly fluffy teddy bear was always inanimate BHM enough for me. No need for realistic humanoid dolls in full plastic. But I always prefered my stuffed animals to dolls anyway - and my mother outright prohibited Barbie's because she considered them sexist.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
rabbitislove
24 Carrot Magic

rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!rabbitislove has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Maybe I'm weird ..... but a soft, cuddly fluffy teddy bear was always inanimate BHM enough for me. No need for realistic humanoid dolls in full plastic. But I always prefered my stuffed animals to dolls anyway - and my mother outright prohibited Barbie's because she considered them sexist.
I was in a similar boat. I loved making up stories with my Ken dolls, but it was always the big cuddly teddy bears I snuggled with at night.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
tankyguy

tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I looked up the ball jointed dolls and this is very interesting to me because there seems to be some overlap in disciplines in creating dolls and sculpting CGI characters on the computer. The unpainted dolls and in-progress sculpts people post look exactly like unpainted character sculpts in a 3d modeling package.

I'll probably end up hunting down doll painting and sculpting tutorials now to see what I can apply to my own work.

Additionally, as 3d printing technology becomes more advanced and available, there's the possibility for a lot of convergence; many collector's quality fantasy statues and action figures are already being sculpted in 3d programs.
tankyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #7
kittymahlberg

kittymahlberg does more than just post hot picskittymahlberg does more than just post hot picskittymahlberg does more than just post hot pics

loopytheone: It does, and if it existed, I would instantly check it out, and be disappointed it was not truly relevant to my interests!

tankyguy: Yes, absolutely! A lot of these dolls are now being created using 3D printers. One of my favorite ball-jointed projects is a 3D-printed dragon that can curl up in your palm. If I didn't like working with my hands so much, I'd be learning CGI modeling for my doll projects. There's even a fab lab just down the street from my house.... But after a long day at the office in front of a computer, I like doing something tactile that doesn't involve a screen, you know?

This is definitely a long, long term project, though. Silicone in the necessary grade is very spendy. But the big barrier is figuring out the best kind of internal structure, so the finished product is stable and poseable. This will require TONS of experimentation, in addition to all the time that sculpting and mold-making require. I've actually found stop-motion animators to be a good source of tips. Also fans of the . . . ahem . . . other kind of dolls.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopytheone View Post
EDIT: Also, does 'BHM Dolls' sound like the name of a gay boyband to anybody else, or just is it me? =p
It sure does! Sort of like a heavyweight version of the "Village People"?

Tags
#crafting #sculpture #art