Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 06-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #51
fat hiker

fat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions communityfat hiker is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbling View Post
Ironically many of those 'acceptable fields' were in core STEM Fields such as Mathematics, Statistics, Logic, Theoretical Physics etc. etc. etc. This is why women like Ada Lovelace, Edith Clarke, Grace Hopper, Katherine Johnson .. The team of female 'Computers' who programmed ENIAC... even had a foot in the door.

Fields which women have been pushed out of as they gained 'prestige'.

I hadn't thought of the early computer field - based on math - that way. Thanks for the reminder!

Crystallography was another field open to women - though after Watson and Crick, who relied on a woman cyrstallographer for their breakthrough but didn't acknowledgeher - that one got closed to women too.

I must admit, I was thinking even further back, my mother's time, when teaching, nutrition and nursing were the only 'acceptable' fields - and then, only until you got married!

WWII changed some of that attitude.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #52
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat hiker View Post

WWII changed some of that attitude.
For a short time. Most women (especially middle class women) were sent back to the kitchen until the women's movement of the late 60s and 70s.
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #53
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
For a short time. Most women (especially middle class women) were sent back to the kitchen until the women's movement of the late 60s and 70s.
You must have read The Feminine Mystique...

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:10 AM   #54
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
You must have read The Feminine Mystique...
A very long time ago. More recently I read Susan Faludi's Backlash which covers a lot of the same topics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backla...American_Women
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote