Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Library > Story Writers Forum

Old 05-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
Silver Fox

Silver Fox does more than just post hot picsSilver Fox does more than just post hot picsSilver Fox does more than just post hot pics
Default Switching from 1st person to 3rd midstory

I recently started writing a story as a first person narrative from the point of view of the main character. But as I was thinking about future parts of the story, I realized I wanted to have parts where the main character was not present and so would need to switch to a 3rd person style of narration. Do you think that would be weird, confusing or disconcerting in some way?
Silver Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
I recently started writing a story as a first person narrative from the point of view of the main character. But as I was thinking about future parts of the story, I realized I wanted to have parts where the main character was not present and so would need to switch to a 3rd person style of narration. Do you think that would be weird, confusing or disconcerting in some way?
Brad Meltzer uses first and third person POV in "The Fifth Assassin", depending on who the narrator is.

I've toyed with the idea of doing it, but my writing friends have told me if could get a little confusing for erotica readers.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
StrugglingWriter

StrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 clubStrugglingWriter is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Not a fan. Perhaps you could introduce some device where the protagonist can see himself/herself and comment. Would likely add an interesting element to the overall story as well.

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/fo...d.php?t=102853
StrugglingWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #4
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Adding another layer to a well-written story is always a good idea.

Admittedly, I've developped a pretty bad 1st person narrative allergy here in the Dims Library.

Sure - it's a legit and lauded style form. But it tends to make stories either a) simplistic (one very narrow perspective) or b) not credible (the know-it-all first person narrator is unrealistic). And seeing how many of these 1st person narratives are never finished, it also seems to bore or tire people to think their own stories through properly.

Introducing a secondary character and then through a plot twist including their narrative definitely sounds worthwhile.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:06 PM   #5
maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon can now change their title

Quote:
Writing a fiction story from the first person point of view is actually quite challenging for exactly the reason you pointed out.
Any dialog or action not involving the protagonist or in his or her direct view is not possible. Therefore actions or scenes (like conspiracies or secrets) that should be kept from the narrator are tough to twist into the plot thread.

Not only that, it is well nigh impossible for the first person to describe themselves or their actions except in the most prosaic terms.

Finally you end up with nearly every sentence beginning with I, me, my etc. Starts to sound like a diary or an after action report.

If you havent already published any chapters best to change to third person from the get go.
maltesefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesJerry Thomas can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
I personally prefer first-person and seem to do best with it, but as you've realized, it does have its limitations. But you could switch to third-person as long as you don't confuse the reader, perhaps by keeping the change in a separate section or chapter. But the question for me would be: Who exactly is the new third-person narrator? A friend/wife/lover of the protagonist, an interested stranger, etc? It would depend on the plot of your story. I added something to one of my stories where for part of the story I had a dual first-person narration - first the protagonist, then his girlfriend (telling HER side of the story), and so forth. You have to make it clear who is speaking, however. The wonderful thing about fiction is that you can experiment and be creative and don't necessarily have to follow the "rules" as they might be taught in Creative Writing 101.
Jerry Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote