Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Hyde Park (Archive Only)

Old 06-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Feel The Johnson!

Ok, how about the Libertarian Party? They held their national convention earlier this week.

Their Presidential candidate is Gary Johnson (former Republican Governor of New Mexico from 1995-2003), with William Weld (former Republican Governor of Massachusetts from 1991-1997) as the Vice Presidential nominee.

I'm not going to get into their actual policy positions at the moment, but at least on paper they each have more governmental executive experience than the presumptive GOP nominee. Strange days, these. But it gets stranger!

Those of you into BHMs should appreciate the performance of Party Chairman Candidate James Weeks at their National Convention this week.
Video
(Not really safe for work, he actually strips down to a thong. Apparently it was a dare or something, and he dropped out of the race shortly thereafter.)
Old 06-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default I have to admit, it's interesting, intriguing...

As I've said before, candidates matter. Of course, other things matter as well, ideas, platform, the current social & historical context, ect...; but the it's vehicle of the candidates-themselves which most supports the ceiling of how far a particular movement can go.

These guys, I think, maybe, are a pretty significant upgrade, just as candidates, standard-bearers, than what we've seen so far from the likes of Ron and Rand Paul.

Should be interesting to see how this all plays out a reliably-red but more Libertarian states like Texas. Or even somewhere like Colorado. Might it even give Hillary Clinton a bit of a lift.

Will Johnson actually be on the ballot?
Old 06-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #3
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The Libertarian Party has ballot access in 33 states. I'm not sure which ones. I think the application deadlines for most of the others have passed.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:18 PM   #4
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

For the foreseeable future third parties are unlikely to by anything more than spoilers.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:32 AM   #5
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Well, yeah. There's some upside to it from the Republican Party's perspective, assuming that Mr. Trump continues to alienate potential voters to the point where he has no plausible chance of winning. If they can get GOP voters to the polls for the Libertarians, those voters will likely still vote Republican in down-ticket contests. Otherwise, they'd just stay home.

It's a desperation tactic, but it may be all they have.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #6
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I see what you did there Rusty...

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Old 06-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #7
CleverBomb
On Space Out

I was hoping someone would notice.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:09 AM   #8
CleverBomb
On Space Out

JEB! (remember him?) might be feeling the Johnson.
Libertarian Party presidential nominee Gary Johnson on Wednesday suggested former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush was considering backing him for president.

Johnson told CNN he had had conversations with Bush, noting he did not initiate them, according to Politico

In addition to being a desperation measure to try to save downticket races, it might also be shaping up to be put forward as an alternate flag for embarrassed Republicans to rally around, much as the original TEA Party (a minor group of Libertarians before they were co-opted) was used in the '08-'10 political season. The TEA Party was a way for the GOP base to reestablish a group identity that was not tied to the failure of the Bush Jr. Administration and the failed McCain campaign. In this scenario, the Libertarian Party will become the group identity for the traditional GOP establishment that will not be tied to the (at this point apparently) doomed Trump campaign.

A key indicator of this will be to watch for the Libertarian Party bringing in prominent establishment GOP operatives, if not actually adopting the pre-Trump GOP's policies where they conflict with LP positions. This would in effect be the GOP establishment itself going third party -- again, not expecting to win, just hoping to perpetuate the ideology until the GOP brand can be reclaimed.

They might also be trying to intentionally "spoil" the contest for Mr. Trump as well, so as to minimize any claim to legitimate political authority he might make after the election.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #9
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Well, so much for that...

Very hard to watch, couldn't keep at it for the whole thing. Me, I like a real good cringe every now and again, I get into it; but I also (not so easily) get to a certain point where I have to stop for a bit, give myself a break, before coming back. Anyone, feel free to Tl/Dr.

Although, I should say it's somewhat refreshing for how he doesn't try to pretend like he knows, as we saw from Trump talking about Iran's Quds as though he was being asked about KuRds.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #10
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Its painfully obvious that only one candidate is actually qualified to be President.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #11
mango
Mustachio Nut

mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!

Johnson's gaffe probably helps Trump.

There is no way Libertarians would ever support a neo-liberal stooge like Clinton!

Old 09-09-2016, 01:08 AM   #12
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Default Right, but think about what this really means...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango View Post
"...There is no way Libertarians would ever support a neo-liberal stooge like Clinton!.."
So, as much a you like to carry on about how indoctrinated and dogmatic Clinton's base of support is, how far they're willing to go (over a cliff, as it were) in order to ignore her own personal qualities; it's really her opposition that's grasping at straws, willing to throw any kind of empty-suit up against the wall to see what might stick.

I wonder how long it will be before Jill Stein gets caught up in some similar such moment of "gotcha." What excuse will you make for her?
Old 09-09-2016, 08:15 AM   #13
HereticFA

HereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakatori View Post
I wonder how long it will be before Jill Stein gets caught up in some similar such moment of "gotcha." What excuse will you make for her?
Like this?
Warrant out for Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein's arrest in ND
Old 09-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #14
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Default Meh...That's not really such a big deal...

That fits in just fine with the image she's trying to project as far as supporting the disenfranchised against powerful, vested interests, even in ineffectually.

I mean more like something where it becomes (more) readily apparent that she has no real idea about how things actually work. Despite being a physician. Like Ben Carson's idea about Congress removing judges who rule for marriage equality.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:04 PM   #15
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticFA View Post
I can't but wonder how our resident liberals/progressives would have acted a year from now after President Trump was sworn in and Jill Stein had done this “protest” against this pipeline? I suspect she would be hailed as a hero for standing up against corporate interests, the rights of Native-Americans and the fight against Climate Change?

But, today she is a threat to Hillary Clinton's candidacy for president and so must be thrown to the wolves.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #16
CleverBomb
On Space Out

And of course you're defending her because you hope she might be a threat to Secretary Clinton's election probability.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:33 PM   #17
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBomb View Post
And of course you're defending her because you hope she might be a threat to Secretary Clinton's election probability.
Actually, I am not defending her at all. I am merely pointing out what would seem to he hypocrisy on the part of liberals/progressives. Issues like corporate influences, the rights of Native-Americans and concern about Climate Change would seem to be what liberals/progressives would consider important. Yet, it would seem that these three issues are being overlooked in the rush to see Hillary Clinton gets elected president.

Making these three issues just political footballs to be abandoned when another more important issue emerges. In this case insuring the election of Hillary Clinton.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:22 AM   #18
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Nope. You're defending her civil disobedience. The hypocrisy you allege is a strawman argument that relies on a hypothetical.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #19
DELIMAN092262

Quote:
Nope. You're defending her civil disobedience. The hypocrisy you allege is a strawman argument that relies on a hypothetical.
Defending her civil disobedience? Perhaps you should enlighten us where exactly I expressed opposition to this pipeline? The answer is I never wrote that.

But, it is a fact that Jill Stein did. That's not a hypothetical.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #20
CleverBomb
On Space Out

The hypothetical, strawman part was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELIMAN092262 View Post
I can't but wonder how our resident liberals/progressives would have acted a year from now after President Trump was sworn in and Jill Stein had done this “protest” against this pipeline?
So, you're not talking about anything concrete.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #21
DELIMAN092262

Quote:
The hypothetical, strawman part was:

So, you're not talking about anything concrete.
So you are suggesting my supposition is wrong and the liberal/progressives on this site will not be supporting her protest against this pipeline after the election?
Old 09-12-2016, 11:41 PM   #22
CleverBomb
On Space Out

I'm suggesting that your motives for defending her actions in protest of an oil pipeline are purely partisan.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #23
CleverBomb
On Space Out

He had another "Aleppo Moment" (his term!) at a townhall event hosted by MSNBC.

Asked to name a foreign leader -- any foreign leader -- he couldn't.
Quote:
During a town hall-style interview on MSNBC on Wednesday night, Mr. Johnson, the Libertarian candidate for president, was asked by the host Chris Matthews to name his favorite foreign leader.

Mr. Johnson, appearing flustered, was at a loss to come up with a name.

He grasped at a former president of Mexico, Vicente Fox, who has been critical of Donald J. Trump, but was unable to remember his name without help or the name of any sitting leader of a foreign country.

I guess Im having an Aleppo moment, he said.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:39 PM   #24
bigmac

Its becoming every more obvious that there is only one qualified candidate left -- we all know who she is.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:11 AM   #25
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Its becoming every more obvious that there is only one qualified candidate left -- we all know who she is.
A Vietnamese bridesmaid?!

(Note: This comment will make no sense once the intervening spam comment is deleted.)

Last edited by CleverBomb; 09-30-2016 at 02:28 AM. Reason: There is (or was) a spampost for what appears to be a vietnamese weddng planning service there...