Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Hyde Park (Archive Only)

Old 08-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #51
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Just to be clear, the non-pandering answer should be to point out that while there are regulatory capture issues with the pharmaceutical industry, the science on vaccines is solid enough that there is no reason to avoid vaccinations except on documented medical grounds (allergies, immune system compromise, and the like). Granted, there is room for some flexibility on vaccine scheduling since the standard regimen is designed to minimize the number of office visits required for complete coverage, but there is no reasonable dispute that all the generally required vaccines are needed.

That would be the "medical scientific consensus" response.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #52
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Stein blew her chance to do the right thing and stand up for universal vaccinations.

Luckily there is a growing movement to ensure kids are vaccinated. Starting this year parents in California can no longer opt there kids out absent a legitimate medical reason.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...nap-story.html

Once more Jerry Brown and California Democrats are proving to be the best government in the country.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:11 PM   #53
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBomb View Post
Just to be clear, the non-pandering answer should be to point out that while there are regulatory capture issues with the pharmaceutical industry, the science on vaccines is solid enough that there is no reason to avoid vaccinations except on documented medical grounds (allergies, immune system compromise, and the like). Granted, there is room for some flexibility on vaccine scheduling since the standard regimen is designed to minimize the number of office visits required for complete coverage, but there is no reasonable dispute that all the generally required vaccines are needed.

That would be the "medical scientific consensus" response.
I find it amusing how two of the most partisan liberal/progressives on this site are attacking Jill Stein. (A person that would seem to be a natural ally.) No doubt the feeling is Stein could be a spoiler taking votes away from Hillary Clinton.

BTW: I must note the last comment about Gary Johnson was more than a month ago.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #54
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Vaccines are a big deal to me. Suffice it to say that someone close to me would have had a much different life if a certain vaccine had been invented 15 years earlier.

Not much to say about Gov. Johnson that I haven't already said. If something new comes up, I might address it, or not.

I must note that you haven't posted a comment about him in... well... I'm not sure you ever did, positive or negative.

I find it amusing that one of the most devout self-proclaimed conservatives on this board has been defending Dr. Stein. (A person that would seem to be a natural adversary.) No doubt the feeling is Stein could be a spoiler taking votes away from Hillary Clinton.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:40 AM   #55
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELIMAN092262 View Post
I find it amusing how two of the most partisan liberal/progressives on this site are attacking Jill Stein. (A person that would seem to be a natural ally.) ...
A person in denial about science is no ally.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #56
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
A person in denial about science is no ally.
So if a person was committed to voting for Hillary Clinton, but had doubts about vaccines. You would tell them they were in denial about science and therefore should not for Clinton?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #57
bigmac

I'd tell them to get their head out of their ass.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:12 PM   #58
Big Beautiful Dreamer
ridiculously contented

Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm with you, CleverBomb. Someone very close to me contracted polio in 1949 at age 13. Three years later -- and what a different life she might have had.

When our children received the polio vaccine, I took pictures.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #59
DELIMAN092262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Beautiful Dreamer View Post
I'm with you, CleverBomb. Someone very close to me contracted polio in 1949 at age 13. Three years later -- and what a different life she might have had.

When our children received the polio vaccine, I took pictures.
I think you are missing the big picture. People that run for the office of President of the United States must pitch a “big tent.” Which means they want people to vote for them even when they disagree about a election plank.

For example, Hillary Clinton says she supports the Affordable Care Act and wants to see it strengthened. Yet, there are people that will vote for Clinton, but wish the ACA were scrapped and replaced with a single-payer system.

So Hillary Clinton and her surrogates will not correct them or “tell them to get their head out of their ass.” She will accept their right to that opinion as long as she gets their votes.

So Jill Stein can say she supports vaccination against disease, but that does not mean she must “correct” those with questions about the safety of vaccines … as long as she will vote gain a vote in that big tent.

Again, the only people making an issue of this are people that plan to vote for Hillary Clinton. This is a way to discredit Jill Stein's campaign since the fear is she will take away vote from Clinton.

Full disclosure: I will not vote for Hillary Clinton. In my opinion there is not a sliver of difference between Barack Obama and Clinton. He was a terrible president and I fear she would be no better.

So if a Jill Stein takes votes away from Hillary Clinton that would be a win for those opposed to Clinton.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #60
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Quote:
Full disclosure: I will not vote for Hillary Clinton. In my opinion there is not a sliver of difference between Barack Obama and Clinton. He was a terrible president and I fear she would be no better.
Given the President's current approval rating, that's a positive sign.
Quote:

So if a Jill Stein takes votes away from Hillary Clinton that would be a win for those opposed to Clinton.
Which is why you're making excuses for a doctor playing at being a Presidential candidate.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:47 PM   #61
DELIMAN092262

Quote:
Given the President's current approval rating, that's a positive sign.
Now that is truly amusing or if you prefer stupid and ridiculous. The truth is President Obama has kept a low profile while the primary campaign was taking place. The only threat to his poll numbers has been discussions about Obamacare, the economy and the Iran deal. (Something the MSM doesn't even cover.)

Perhaps when Donald Trumps starts to run negative ads about these three topics. (Which Trump will tie around Hillary Clinton's neck.) That Obama's poll numbers will tank.

The public still considers Obamacare a expensive failure. The economy is still sick and the Iran deal was a unmitigated disaster with new disclosures about how the Iranian's played Obama for the fool. Obama only cares about his legacy “successes.” Cleaning up the mess will be the next president's problem.
Quote:
Which is why you're making excuses for a doctor playing at being a Presidential candidate.
I am not making excuses Jill Stein. It is you that is attacking her so she does not take votes away from Clinton.

Second, I must say it is more than a little hypocritical for people to support Clinton since she is clearly a member of the 1%. Takes money from the 1% and has always supported the 1%. (Remember, those paid speeches she gave to Wall Street types that today she wishes to bury.)

Yet, four years ago some claimed Mitt Romney was unfit to be president since he was a member of the 1%.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:11 AM   #62
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Quote:
I am not making excuses Jill Stein. [sic]
Oh, but you did:
Quote:
So Jill Stein can say she supports vaccination against disease, but that does not mean she must “correct” those with questions about the safety of vaccines … as long as she will vote gain a vote in that big tent.
"Successful pandering is its own justification."
Old 09-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #63
DELIMAN092262

Quote:
Oh, but you did:
No, I didn't. You and BM are only attacking the supporters of Jill Stein because you fear they will take away votes for your candidate Hillary Clinton.
"Successful pandering is its own justification."[/QUOTE]
Right, and your own candidate Hillary Clinton would never do that?

BTW: Isn't Clinton's halo more than a bit tarnished?
Old 09-03-2016, 11:28 PM   #64
CleverBomb
On Space Out

It doesn't matter whether Sec. Clinton would do that -- though on vaccines, she certainly does not. What matters is that Dr. Stein did. And now you're defending her again with not just a tu quoque fallacy, but a hypothetical one at that.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:42 AM   #65
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default So, this happened a couple weeks ago...

And it seemed to illicit quite a defensive reaction from a lot of the vlogosphere. It's mostly about Stein, but he talks about Johnson for a bit starting at 10:09

Old 11-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #66
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb

People complaining about that makes me think about when that racist newsletter that Ron Paul put out was unearthed while he ran for President. "The media should take fringe candidates seriously! Wait, not that seriously!"
Old 11-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #67
Yakatori
Hard to say, really...

Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!Yakatori keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Just for a moment...

Consider the mental gymnastics this guy puts himself through just in order to muster some kind of response to Dan Savage's scathing critique:

At 12:16, he even doubles-back on his own point on the need for electoral reform, basically acknowledging how even that won't necessarily permanently alter the political landscape.

The problem isn't so much that third parties put the lion's share of their resources into national campaigns, but for the caliber candidates that they rely on to front them and how they're run.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #68
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb

I can't get over him saying "if" the Green party becomes one of the 2 national parties along with Democrats and making it sound as possible as "if" I get a haircut on Friday. Savage pretty much articulated my exact thoughts, down to the profanity. Though I wouldn't compare Nader to Stein since he at least had a plan to get a certain percentage of votes in 2000 to guarantee the Green candidate federal matching funds in 2004. Wrongheaded though it was (you don't start AT THE TOP) it was at least a plan. Stein's just a joke all around. I don't get why Greens are taken more seriously than, say, the Constitution party which has just as many members in US and state congresses - which is to say zero.
But hey, at least some people won't have to sully themselves voting for a candidate that might actually win.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #69
bigmac

The foregoing is exactly why Bernie ran as a Democrat. Our electoral system only has room for two parties at the Presidential level. Bernie was smart enough to see that -- these other folks not so much.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #70
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Lightbulb

Lawl.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #71
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Verde View Post
That image reminds me of the classic TBogg "Your Mumia sweatshirt won't get you into heaven anymore" bit. (Link is to the writer's revisiting his piece from 2000, back in May of this year.)
Quote:
Every year in Happy Gumdrop Fairy-Tale Land all of the sprites and elves and woodland creatures gather together to pick the Rainbow Sunshine Queen. ...
It's worth reading.