Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Main Dimensions Board

Old 09-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Calling people fat when they aren't

I have noticed a lot of people (mostly women) doing this lately, and I so don't understand it. Is it just a way to prey on women's insecurities?

If you call someone fat when they clearly aren't....doesn't it just make you look stupid??

I think I have moved so far beyond when calling me fat actually had the power to hurt me that I just don't get this at all.

Is it a generic insult? Another way to say they are ugly? What?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Jane
Photo (c) Fatlane

Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonvine
I have noticed a lot of people (mostly women) doing this lately, and I so don't understand it. Is it just a way to prey on women's insecurities?

If you call someone fat when they clearly aren't....doesn't it just make you look stupid??

I think I have moved so far beyond when calling me fat actually had the power to hurt me that I just don't get this at all.

I take it the same way I take everything on Earth being labled as "gay." Stupid people with nothing better to say.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Yup...'fat'..'gay'..'retarded'...people over the age of..oh..14(should be much younger..but.kids..eh)..really should know better.
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
crazygrad

crazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 clubcrazygrad is a member of the 500 club

or do they mean PHAT?
crazygrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygrad
or do they mean PHAT?

Some people may, but the ones I am thinking of definitely mean it in a derogatory way. You can tell by their body language and the context in which the word is used.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Jane
Photo (c) Fatlane

Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!Jane keeps pushing the rep limit!

So, just because they consider it an insult, do we have to?
Old 09-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane
So, just because they consider it an insult, do we have to?

Well, I don't.

I just don't understand why someone would do that. Like, I'm short and I would think someone was crazy if they walked up to me and said, hey, you're really tall! Or hey, you have purple hair!
Old 09-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #8
bentleydev

bentleydev can now change their title

Women have been calling each other fat as an insult forever.
bentleydev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #9
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Rachel Ray has a big head. She is NOT fat.

She is also Buffie's identical cousin.

Just remember that acceptance is 71.4% of size acceptance.
fatlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #10
CurvaceousBBWLover
Primordial

CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

It's just another way for people to prey on other people's insecurities so they can feel better about themselves.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #11
Renaissance Woman
Please do.

Renaissance Woman has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Renaissance Woman has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Renaissance Woman has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Renaissance Woman has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Renaissance Woman has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Renaissance Woman has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Renaissance Woman has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Renaissance Woman has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Renaissance Woman has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Renaissance Woman has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Renaissance Woman has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Riding on the T in Boston some years ago, a little boy turned around, looked at me and said, "Wow, you're fat!"

Because he was a little kid, and seeing as how little kids of a certain age feel the need to point out the obvious, I didn't see the point of coming up with a clever comeback, and instead said, "Well, you're skinny!"

His mother turned around, looked at him and the expression on his face, looked at me, and said, "No, no, he meant that in a good way." And the little boy nodded.

Oh. Slang. Phat. The kid was complementing me and I was too uncool to get it.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:23 AM   #12
TallFatSue
On Timeout

TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Yes I'd agree that calling others fat can be a generic insult for people to prey on others' insecurities so they can feel better about themselves, because they can't think of anything better to say. In a way, it makes about as much sense as when people tell me, "Oh, you're not fat." As if the word "fat" has meaning only as an insult. But I'm truly fat and loving it, so I've taken possession of the word and it can't be an insult to me. If people call me fat, I say yes and it looks great on me.

Which reminds me, I've heard "fat" used as an intensifier too, like after I got rid of a troublesome employee last year without technically firing him: "That big fat-ass Sue fired me!" (Personnel: "No, she didn't. You quit, and we have witnesses.") Maybe if I were thin he would have just called me "That bitch Sue" instead

Which also reminds me, methinks a lot of men love fat women but won't admit it, what with peer pressure, social stigma and all. At my size (6ft 450lb) I get a few stares from the general populace. As a middle-aged obese woman, sometimes it gives me a real boost when I notice a man sizing up my opulent boobs, belly or butt, and his skinny little wife or girlfriend hisses at him, "Stop staring at that fat bitch!"

A positive attitude works wonders.
TallFatSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:36 AM   #13
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I got this tonight at a cub scout meeting. A cute Tiger came up to me after the meeting and said "Thanks for helping me, you're P H A T!"

I thought it was cute. Considering his parents are F A T - I think he knows the difference already
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:52 AM   #14
Jane
Photo (c) Fatlane

Years ago my cousin invited her boyfriend to Thanksgiving Dinner at my house. Sometime during the day, he grew angry with me (never did know why). He looked me up and down and knew she would smack him if he made a fat joke, so he called me "Four-eyes." I rolled. A grown man saying "Four-eyes."
Old 09-12-2006, 06:01 AM   #15
lemmink
THE PUMMEL IS COMING

lemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going on

I call my boyfriend 'fat' or variations of it as an endearment. He knows he's in trouble if I preface something with, "You skinny little..."
lemmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:12 AM   #16
FitChick
On Timeout

FitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:

I have the opposite problem....my 8 yr old knows I don't like the fact that I'm not regarded as fat anymore, so she says things like, "Mommie, if you take me to get water ice I'll call you fat!" (she is the only child I have who cares about my self-esteem as a formerly fat woman.)
FitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:52 AM   #17
babyjeep21
Kamikaze Peanut Butter

babyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvaceousBBWLover
It's just another way for people to prey on other people's insecurities so they can feel better about themselves.

I also think that this is a way for people to draw attention to themselves. I can't tell you how many friends I have had who like to stand in front of the mirror, grab their flesh and jiggle it. Then complain about how fat they are. It never fails to amaze me how they can "confuse" their skin for fat, especially (as an example) for one friend who was 5'7 and 105 pounds. By doing this, not only are they making a completely untrue statement about themselves, they're just begging for someone to say "oh no, you're so thin".... Because calling someone the opposite of fat is a compliment, right?

Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than a whole one... -E.B. White

Have Fun by Helping Feed The Hungry: http://www.freerice.com/
babyjeep21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:51 AM   #18
FitChick
On Timeout

FitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFitChick can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjeep21
I also think that this is a way for people to draw attention to themselves. I can't tell you how many friends I have had who like to stand in front of the mirror, grab their flesh and jiggle it. Then complain about how fat they are. It never fails to amaze me how they can "confuse" their skin for fat, especially (as an example) for one friend who was 5'7 and 105 pounds. By doing this, not only are they making a completely untrue statement about themselves, they're just begging for someone to say "oh no, you're so thin".... Because calling someone the opposite of fat is a compliment, right?
Well, I know that I have a lot of loose skin around the middle and elsewhere, and with clothes on, it LOOKS like fat because it gets pressed together. But with clothes off, you can see its loose leftover skin from weight loss.
FitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:59 AM   #19
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjeep21
Oh yes, I am familiar with this syndrome. Very familiar. It isn't what I was talking about, though.

What brought this question on was that all the other female contestants on Big Brother have called the chick in my avatar fat, and she's clearly not. Sitting on national TV calling a clearly not-fat person fat just makes no sense to me, and I'm trying to understand the phenomenon.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:02 AM   #20
babyjeep21
Kamikaze Peanut Butter

babyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions communitybabyjeep21 is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Oh yes, I am familiar with this syndrome. Very familiar. It isn't what I was talking about, though.

What brought this question on was that all the other female contestants on Big Brother have called the chick in my avatar fat, and she's clearly not. Sitting on national TV calling a clearly not-fat person fat just makes no sense to me, and I'm trying to understand the phenomenon.
Oh, I know! I was just adding on the "insecurities" comment.

Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than a whole one... -E.B. White

Have Fun by Helping Feed The Hungry: http://www.freerice.com/
babyjeep21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #21
Jane
Photo (c) Fatlane

Quote:

They are in competition. They demean her to make themselves feel better. They consider "fat" to be the ultimate demeaning insult.

Of course, this is just my take on the situation, and objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:04 PM   #22
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

EXERCISE: coat your arms with some chalk powder. Then stand in front of a mirror and vigorously rub your arms so the powder flies off. Comment to your friends, "Oh! Look how leprous I am! My skin is just falling off!" Do that in a teasing-playful-tell-me-I'm-wrong sort of voice and see what the reaction is.

Just remember that acceptance is 71.4% of size acceptance.
fatlane is offline   Reply With Quote