Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Hyde Park (Archive Only)

Old 09-29-2016, 10:25 PM   #1
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default It's gone quiet.

Odd.

Is anyone reading this forum anymore, or are we just waiting for BBD to return?

Hasn't been a good week for Mr. Trump, what with the debate and its aftermath, revelations about the Trump Foundation, sexist/looks-ist practices at his L.A. area golf course, and (potentially a tipping-point in FL) his lies about trying to set up business in Cuba despite the embargo.

If there is still an audience here for it, I'll detail these points.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #2
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Hillary kicked butt in the debate and the usual suspects are stunned into silence.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
CleverBomb
On Space Out

CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.CleverBomb has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Well, there is that.

But I'm not sure it's all of it. It's not just that it's been a bad week, but the particulars of the new information pushed into the news are such that they pretty much preempt most of the lines of attack the Trump campaign has used up to this point. It's that lack of readily-available attack points that's put things on hold here, I think.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:19 PM   #4
DianaSSBBW

DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

The debate was an embarrassment to the Republican Party. Mr. Trump hijacked the Republican Party. How can somebody that want to be president actually act like a bully doing a presidential debate.

I found it very funny that some friends that are all Trump Trump, Trump actually realized now that another debate and Trump for President...might not be a good idea.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:26 AM   #5
CleverBomb
On Space Out

How could he do it? Why wouldn't he? Up until recently, it worked.

And basically, it's worked for him for so long he doesn't realize there are situations where it won't.

As to why it's worked and why it didn't, that's a post for another time when I'm a bit more awake... LOL
Old 09-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #6
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

I love how Trump believes in the veracity of the online polls, even after he and his campaign were told that "400 lb hackers" had hijacked them
Old 09-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

And yes, after the debate, the usual suspects are not on the boards.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
CleverBomb
On Space Out

I realize this thread is turning into a bit of a pile-on, but that wasn't my intent when I started it. What I saw was that the forum looked as though everyone had just had enough. What I missed, I think, was that much of the draw here isn't the "election news collection" aspect of it, but the arguments. And if there's no argument happening, few pay attention to it.

Well, that could be because if there's no arguing, there aren't any posts to register on the "new posts" search function. *shrug*
Old 09-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #9
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

It only shows that even mud supplies can run out....
Old 09-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #10
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

For years the bulk of the volume of Hyde Park was the volley back and forth of political slights and slurs by a small core of posters, with nothing resembling actual conversation. Most everyone else claimed to dislike that dynamic. But with that missing for the moment, I think it is clear how little else of note has been happening in Hyde Park - most other discussions have been chased away by that dynamic, I think. And that dynamic has also made a lot of people shy about wading into American politics. So maybe we need other things to argue about? In case you've been deafened by the American political scene, here are some other points, of varying gravity, that you may not have heard about:

- Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday likened himself to the [Hitler], saying he wants to kill millions of drug addicts, just as Hitler killed Jews during the Holocaust.

- Fashion Police and Grammar Police: are they really the same?

- Global atmospheric CO2 levels look to have permanently surpassed the 400 ppm level – a level that has been suggested as the threshold for quite irreversible damage to the environment. 2016 is also looking like it may be the hottest year on record. Should we (for whatever definition of we you choose) be making much more dramatic changes to limit further CO2 level rises? Do you think it matters at all?
Old 09-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
For years the bulk of the volume of Hyde Park was the volley back and forth of political slights and slurs by a small core of posters, with nothing resembling actual conversation. Most everyone else claimed to dislike that dynamic. But with that missing for the moment, I think it is clear how little else of note has been happening in Hyde Park - most other discussions have been chased away by that dynamic, I think. And that dynamic has also made a lot of people shy about wading into American politics. So maybe we need other things to argue about?
Is that really what you think this forum needs? If discussions (not to mention members) have been chased away due to a small core of posters then the solution seems pretty obvious.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #12
CleverBomb
On Space Out

One obvious solution is for more reasonable and articulate commenters to come in here and raise the level of discussion.

This (I assume) temporary lull would be an excellent time to try that.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #13
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Unfortunately we can't do away with people we find annoying

Or another topic for the dog scentric - the montreal dog ban.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
CleverBomb
On Space Out

An actual ban?

Los Angeles has what appears to be a rather drastic spay/neuter law (mandatory except for registered purebreds, dogs in training/completion for or with titles, and working/asssistance dogs), but an outright ban?
Old 09-30-2016, 04:23 PM   #15
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBomb View Post
One obvious solution is for more reasonable and articulate commenters to come in here and raise the level of discussion.

This (I assume) temporary lull would be an excellent time to try that.

I'll play. Pick a topic that isn't too vitrionic and I'll play!!
Old 09-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #16
CleverBomb
On Space Out

How about borrowing yours? (see above)
Old 09-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #17
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

It bans pitbulls. All the pitbulls in shelters are being destroyed - they need to wear muzzles in their own homes.

Even not pit bulls are being impacted - any medium sizwd dog cannot be walked on a collar...

It is so extreme the SPCA is saying they wont service Montreal if the ban goes through. Rescue organizations are rushing to evacuate dogs, and assist low income families to meet the minimum requirements so their dogs are not destroyed due to non compliance.

Edit: on my phone so ill tag sources later
Old 09-30-2016, 04:34 PM   #18
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'd be happy to bring my quilts are better than comforter argument to Hyde Park. I know it was very edgy for the regular forums.

You know who preferred comforters over quilts? Hitler. If you like comforters more than quilts, you're like Hitler.

And a meme too!

Am I doing it right?
Old 09-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #19
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
Unfortunately we can't do away with people we find annoying
Well "hey, let's do nothing!" has been an utter disaster and turned this into a cesspool even by political forum standards so do you have an alternate suggestion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post
Or another topic for the dog scentric - the montreal dog ban.
Never mind, I didn't see that you already had a plan.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #20
Leem
Leem

Leem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions communityLeem is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Or we could associate the two: Trump and the dog ban, things created by idiots for idiots.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #21
CleverBomb
On Space Out

Ok, a breed-specific ban.

Yeah, I can see why it might be seen as necessary... but by your description, it's draconian and badly implemented. A licensing requirement with mandatory training and liability insurance would be more reasonable, but that's a more difficult sell due to the nuance involved.

And why does it have to be dog-"scentric"? Sighthounds are dogs too!
Old 10-05-2016, 11:44 PM   #22
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Why bother? You can literally make any sort of point and the goalposts immediately move. There's no debate, there's talking to a brick wall.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:27 AM   #23
CleverBomb
On Space Out

That's when you play laser tag.
It does get tedious, though.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #24
Deven
Wendigo

Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!Deven keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBomb View Post
That's when you play laser tag.
It does get tedious, though.
It wouldn't be so bad if you could show evidence and they give you credit for a fair point, but rebutt with something of their own.

Nope. They just tell you that you are flat out wrong or stick fingers in their ears. Or refuse to link sources.

Like, a sex trafficking thread from a few years ago. I bet if I necroposted this thread with this link, and the outcome would be the *exact* same way, despite the fact that these men lured this women with the chance at emigration and a better life than they had in Bangkok. It would end with me being frustrated because multiple links NEVER satisfy them.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:28 AM   #25
Big Beautiful Dreamer
ridiculously contented

Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!

Hi, Deven!!!