Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Hyde Park (Archive Only)

Old 10-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
Big Beautiful Dreamer
ridiculously contented

Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Suspension of poster

I've suspended user ditzygirl for three weeks, or until November 15.

I find it highly suspicious when a brand-new poster, with five posts when she started (three of them in Hyde Park), appears out of nowhere two weeks before the election and immediately starts slinging the shite and making outrageously provocative statements.

In the interests of being a good moderator, I encourage regular posters to publicly or privately message me and express your opinions about this action, good or bad.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #2
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

Probably someone who posted here pre 2015 under another name and had less than pleasant experience. Came back with a new alias to lurk and PM old friends maybe? The lure of the park was too much to resist? I don't know.

Honestly, I have seen much worse by people who have regularly contributed here. Nothing screamed timeout worthy to me. Besides, running off fresh blood may not be a good idea for a forum where people recently opined how it's gone quiet.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb

Jesus Christ.

They registered in March 2014. Most people in the country hate both candidates, everyone hates at least one and people are feeling extremely emotional about it. HOW SUSPICIOUS~!
Old 10-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #4
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Beautiful Dreamer View Post
I've suspended user ditzygirl for three weeks, or until November 15.
Or, one week after the elections.
Quote:
I find it highly suspicious when a brand-new poster, with five posts when she started (three of them in Hyde Park), appears out of nowhere two weeks before the election and immediately starts slinging the shite and making outrageously provocative statements.
How about when former posters claim they will never post again on Hyde Park, but come back just before the elections?

Yet, that is not suspicious?

The question is: Was ditzygirl suspended for what she said and not for how she said it? That would be called content censorship.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!ScreamingChicken keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELIMAN092262 View Post
Or, one week after the elections.

How about when former posters claim they will never post again on Hyde Park, but come back just before the elections?

Yet, that is not suspicious?

The question is: Was ditzygirl suspended for what she said and not for how she said it? That would be called content censorship.
I'll piggyback on what Deli's asking.

What she said and how she said it are no different than some of the things that the regulars of varying philosophical stripes here have said. In fact, it was pretty mild compared to what I've seen an infraction leveled for in the past. If this is because she new , then where does it state in the rules that you have to say or act within a certain framework for a certain number of posts before you get to sit at the big kid table?
Old 10-25-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think this is a good example of heavy-handed moderation. If she didn't break any site rules or any of your arbitrary HP rules, then what reason do you have for suspending her? You may possibly be right in your suspicion but so what? Until such time as they break the rules they should be free to speak their mind even if it is something you don't personally like. Doing it preemptively because they *might* say something infractable is nothing short of censorship against ideas you don't agree with. Plus it's perspective really and shows your own left-leaning bias. It's only shite as you put it and provocative if it is an ideal you don't happen to cotton to. To those that have an opinion like hers then there is nothing provocative at all in their opinions of her posts.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:02 AM   #7
Big Beautiful Dreamer
ridiculously contented

Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!Big Beautiful Dreamer keeps pushing the rep limit!

Well, I am getting the feedback I asked for.

For what it's worth, here's my thought process.

I looked up her posting history and saw that she had registered in 2014 and had a whole two posts in two years, both innocuous comments in places like the Lounge.

From that, she jumped into Hyde Park with both feet and immediately began making statements that I expect to see only from a couple of longtime regulars. They were, as I said, provocative. In addition, some of her statements could be seen as inflammatory.

We are two weeks from an election unlike one I've seen or read about before in the United States. Supporters on all sides are concerned about violence at the polls and violence after the results.

I conferred with other moderators before making the move that I did, and learned that ditzygirl shared an IP address with someone else who appeared briefly, stirred stuff up in a provocative fashion, and vanished. I don't know that it's the same person, but enough was adding up to make me feel safer not adding this voice to the mix.

And yes, I deliberately crafted the time-out to run a week after November 8. As Stephen King said, when challenged by fans about his character in The Green Mile having the initials J.C., "Come on, guys. It's not rocket science."

Ditzygirl may absolutely come back and play once the elections have passed and we have seen an orderly transfer of power.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #8
Magpie
girly face

Magpie can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMagpie can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMagpie can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Not that I'm sad to see her gone as she was clearly a troll, but will her timeout actually run out?
Old 10-26-2016, 06:52 AM   #9
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

So a newbie who may or may not be someone with a less than savory history comes in and states opinions that were provocative? Isn't that the whole point here; to provoke thought and discussion? Especially in an election year. And if you want to cite them as being seen as inflammatory, that's damn near 90% of the other posts here.

Honestly, it comes across as though you are sending ditzygirl on timeout for an opposing view to your sensibilities and the majority of the posters here. I can rattle of a laundry list of names who have acted in a far more trollish manner (on both sides of the aisle) but you have allowed it to go.

You've just illustrated why it's a bad idea for the moderator to be an active participant in the discussion as well. If you've want to reduce Hyde Park to an echo chamber, then so be it. But at least be honest about it.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:59 AM   #10
Magpie
girly face

Magpie can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMagpie can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMagpie can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

If acting like a troll were enough to get someone booted, deliman and bio would be long gone.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #11
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cobra Verde has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Lightbulb

I actually assumed it was one of them and thought "fucking FINALLY, now see to the other one". But no, ditzygirl was the problem.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #12
Magpie
girly face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Verde View Post
I actually assumed it was one of them and thought "fucking FINALLY, now see to the other one". But no, ditzygirl was the problem.
I'd hoped, but I saw her profile saying 'on timeout' on a prior thread.

That said, I haven't seen bio in a while, and whatever the reason I'm happy for it.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #13
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Lightbulb

I actually read that as "deliman and mac would be long gone". I don't really care if the other guy is banned since he's not around. My mistake.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #14
Big Beautiful Dreamer
ridiculously contented

You know, I routinely put up with about knee-high pile of manure in modding Hyde Park, a pile that rises to about waist level come election time. I have put up with a whole fucking lot from posters who clearly disagree with me, who call me names, who say that I'm heavily biased against one political leaning or another, and most of the time manage to do so without flipping my lid.

The election lead-up in this country is unprecedented, by which I mean it far outstrips even pre-election sniping going back to Adams and Jefferson around 1800. I'm actively frightened for what's going to happen in the streets after November 8.

Therefore, I'm acting out of what might be an excess of caution in putting on a temporary timeout a poster who more or less appears out of nowhere and makes high-level accusations that border on libel. (And yes, with 20 years of newspaper experience, I know a thing or two about libel.)

It's good to see that so many regulars think that I'm the one full of shit on this forum.

Come to think of it, how many mods would make a matter like this public and open it for discussion?
Old 10-27-2016, 11:20 AM   #15
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Lightbulb

You seriously think you deserve credit for announcing your ridiculous action instead of doing it without saying anything? Really?
Who cares if they posted under another name in the past? Unless they're using 2 accounts to trick people or trying to circumvent a ban what could it possibly matter?
What does the circumstances of the election itself have to do with someone making a few dopey posts that are consistent with the usual crap posted here? You're scared about what's going to happen in the streets so you're banning ditzygirl for 3 weeks? The fuck??

Nobody agrees with you because you're wrong. There's no possible reason to ban her besides "I don't like her posts." And possibly discouraging someone from ever coming back while the whole board is the least active it's ever been just because you don't like their posts is absurd.

If it's so rough for you here you're free to step down as moderator.

Quote:
high-level accusations that border on libel. (And yes, with 20 years of newspaper experience, I know a thing or two about libel.)

Quote:
Jesus Christ.

Old 10-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #16
ScreamingChicken
One of 50,298

Quote:
You seriously think you deserve credit for announcing your ridiculous action instead of doing it without saying anything? Really?
Who cares if they posted under another name in the past? Unless they're using 2 accounts to trick people or trying to circumvent a ban what could it possibly matter?
What does the circumstances of the election itself have to do with someone making a few dopey posts that are consistent with the usual crap posted here? You're scared about what's going to happen in the streets so you're banning ditzygirl for 3 weeks? The fuck??

Nobody agrees with you because you're wrong. There's no possible reason to ban her besides "I don't like her posts." And possibly discouraging someone from ever coming back while the whole board is the least active it's ever been just because you don't like their posts is absurd.

If it's so rough for you here you're free to step down as moderator.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #17
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Let me see if I can sum this up. You put your actions out for public discussion. Asked for other posters thoughts on your action. Got exactly what you asked for. Got called out on the liberal bias you claim not to have by posters who lean both ways. Didn't like the response you got. Got a bit whiny about it. Oh, and still went ahead with the abhorrent decision anyway even though the feedback you got publicly argued against it. Sound about right?
Old 10-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #18
tonynyc2

tonynyc2 has said some nice things

Quote:
You know, I routinely put up with about knee-high pile of manure in modding Hyde Park, a pile that rises to about waist level come election time. I have put up with a whole fucking lot from posters who clearly disagree with me, who call me names, who say that I'm heavily biased against one political leaning or another, and most of the time manage to do so without flipping my lid.

The election lead-up in this country is unprecedented, by which I mean it far outstrips even pre-election sniping going back to Adams and Jefferson around 1800. I'm actively frightened for what's going to happen in the streets after November 8.

Therefore, I'm acting out of what might be an excess of caution in putting on a temporary timeout a poster who more or less appears out of nowhere and makes high-level accusations that border on libel. (And yes, with 20 years of newspaper experience, I know a thing or two about libel.)

It's good to see that so many regulars think that I'm the one full of shit on this forum.

Come to think of it, how many mods would make a matter like this public and open it for discussion?
At the end of the day being a Moderator is not an easy job- it is what one chooses to do or not do...

1. What's the point of having an honest discussion if there is no true discussion on how what posters feel

2. The timeout system to put it bluntly - is fucked up. I've had to send a note to the Admin to restore my OLD ID. Also, if this function of the Boards is not working correctly- what is the point of continuing to use it (until it is fixed)!!!

3. To actively participate in the Boards and Moderate at the same time can become "Murky"
Old 10-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #19
Magpie
girly face

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyc2 View Post
2. The timeout system to put it bluntly - is fucked up. I've had to send a note to the Admin to restore my OLD ID. Also, if this function of the Boards is not working correctly- what is the point of continuing to use it (until it is fixed)!!!
This is why Magpie exists.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:30 AM   #20
Big Beautiful Dreamer
ridiculously contented

Yes, you're right. I knew better before making that second post.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #21
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Lightbulb

Quote:
Yes, you're right.
WOW. Okay, that was literally the last thing I expected to read when I clicked on this thread. I guess maybe I misjudg...

Quote:
I knew better before making that second post.
Oh.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #22
Big Beautiful Dreamer
ridiculously contented

Okay -- I knew better before making that first post? But I will say that you, Cobra Verde, were right.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #23
Dromond
Old school

Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dromond has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I still love ya, BBD. Does that count for anything?
Old 10-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #24
ALS Again

ALS Again can now change their title

The posts by the banned member sound classic. In what thread did she post so that I can read these likely-entertaining posts?
Old 10-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #25
Cobra Verde
Lupus Dei

Lightbulb

The "It's gone quiet" thread. It's pretty much your standard-issue derp, but the election is in 2 weeks and the moderator is scared about what might happen so there was really no choice but to ban ditzygirl.

I would like to point out without comment that in this thread about someone being suspended there have been THREE users who were unable to get their old accounts back after being suspended.