Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 11-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
Leishycat
Dark and scarry

Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Views from overseas

So, we all know Putin's tickled to have his buddy Trump taking the White House. But beyond that, American news hasn't had much perspective on the election from overseas that I've seen, apart from worry from foreigners that Trump might be elected (Britain: *does Brexit* America: Hold my beer, watch this).

I'd like to know more about how people outside the US are looking at us right now. I came across this via a Chinese-American photographer who's found a pretty twisted perspective being pushed by the Chinese media:

Watching the Election from the Post-Truth Future
Old 11-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
joswitch
Exile from Main Board

joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!joswitch has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishycat View Post
So, we all know Putin's tickled to have his buddy Trump taking the White House. But beyond that, American news hasn't had much perspective on the election from overseas that I've seen, apart from worry from foreigners that Trump might be elected (Britain: *does Brexit* America: Hold my beer, watch this).

I'd like to know more about how people outside the US are looking at us right now. I came across this via a Chinese-American photographer who's found a pretty twisted perspective being pushed by the Chinese media:

Watching the Election from the Post-Truth Future
Like most people in UK I'm not surprised, but I am gutted to see the US lurch from Bush/Clinton/WBush/Obama neoliberalism which was bad enough already; to Trumpist neofascism - that will be so much worse.

And all under a thin skinned egomaniac narcissist demagogue in Trump (who is an AGM denier, and terribly keen to use nukes (according to reports of his intel briefings)); and whose VP Mike Pence is a Xtian Fundamentalist science denier & homophobe; and who just appointed Stephen Bannon a far-right white supremacist propagandist as his chief strategist.. among others.
That Trumper Youth are scrawling swastikas and chanting "Build that wall" at latino classmates, and the KKK is planning a parade in celebration - is the shitty icing on a giant turd cake..

Frankly we're trying to enjoy life while we can over here, before Trump starts global thermonuclear war because someone said a nasty thing to him on Twitter..

Oh yeah, and all 16million Remainers are ready to puke at the photos of neofascist millionaire ex-City Trader Farage stood in front of gold doors with billionaire conman Trump - both claiming to have 'stuck it to the "elite"'. THEY ARE THE ELITE!

RAGE

By the way Merika if you could work out a way to keep Farage over there that would be grrrreat.. he's already screwed our nation up, and he's currently threatening to lead a mob against the Supreme Court, so we'd very much like to be rid of the bawbag. Give him a TV show that involves him doing dangerous stunts or something, please and thanks.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #3
Leishycat
Dark and scarry

Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!

Yeah. I, and literally every other person I know who's a member of a minority, am absolutely terrified. :\
Old 11-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
biodieselman

biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!

Curious...

what gives loony far left Europeans the idea

honey badger conservatives gives one shit what they think?

Old 11-18-2016, 08:09 PM   #5
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Sometimes its downright embarrassing to be an American.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #6
biodieselman

biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!biodieselman keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
Sometimes its downright embarrassing to be an American.
If you hate America and her citizens so much...

and yer a tri-citizen or whatever...

why do you obviously suffer by staying here...

when Mexico is such a far greater country?
Old 11-19-2016, 01:02 AM   #7
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodieselman View Post
If you hate America and her citizens so much...

and yer a tri-citizen or whatever...

why do you obviously suffer by staying here...

when Mexico is such a far greater country?
Canada is indeed a far better country -- but there are more pretty fat girls here -- so I'm staying.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:36 AM   #8
Leishycat
Dark and scarry

Quote:
Canada is indeed a far better country -- but there are more pretty fat girls here -- so I'm staying.
These are both valid points.

And not all of us have the option to pick up and leave whenever we want, even if we're lucky enough to have dual citizenship.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
How exactly is Canada better? In the past and in a moment of candor, you said the only reason you stay in the US is due to the fact your own personal economic opportunities are better here than in Canada.

Second, you always claim Canada has better healthcare. Yet, can you tell me any medical procedures or drugs that Canadians have easy access to but you yourself do not in the United States? (I would suspect your job comes with first class health insurance) In fact, Canadians come to the US to get medical treatment that are unavailable in a timely fashion in Canada.

So why is Canada better?
Old 11-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #10
bigmac

Justin Trudeau vs Donald Trump

Need I say more
Old 11-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Justin Trudeau vs Donald Trump

Need I say more
Yes you do. News flash: Not everyone agrees with your point of view. You will have to explain why you think Trudeau is a better leader than Trump. (Remember, Trump still has not even started as President of the Untied State of America.)
Old 11-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #12
bigmac

Once more, may I suggest you introduce yourself to Google -- that is unless you like being wilfully uninformed.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #13
DELIMAN092262

Quote:
Once more, may I suggest you introduce yourself to Google -- that is unless you like being wilfully uninformed.
I always assume that whenever you make that suggestion it is because your opinion is either unsupported or just plain wrong.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #14
DianaSSBBW

DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

A view from Oscar Arais, Expresident of Costa Rica

(Translation to English at the end)

EL TRIUNFO DE DONALD TRUMP por Oscar Arias (Ex Presidente de Costa Rica)

Una de las características de nuestro tiempo es que el Populismo no es propio de un país, de una región o de un continente; tampoco de una ideología, pues se da en los partidos políticos tanto de izquierda como de derecha. El Populismo se ha convertido en un fenómeno universal: existe en Europa, en Asia, en América Latina y, a partir de ayer, también en los Estados Unidos. Triunfó en las elecciones el candidato que para mí representa la negación del político serio y responsable, aquel que le dice a la gente lo que debe saber y no lo que quiere oír, el que cree que el fin último de la política es educar a su pueblo.
Pienso que el electorado norteamericano eligió ayer al más ignorante, inculto y mentiroso de los candidatos presidenciales de los últimos tiempos. No ha existido en la arena política de los estados Unidos un aspirante a la Casa Blanca tan impulsivo, temperamental, racista, xenófobo, misógino y capaz de utilizar el poder político para hacer daño.
La peligrosa combinación de la personalidad de Donald Trump junto al fuerte mandato recibido ayer del pueblo norteamericano son una amenaza para la democracia. Donald Trump es un hombre prepotente que basó su campaña apelando al miedo y al enojo de su pueblo. A partir de enero, recibirá las riendas del poder ejecutivo, obtuvo mayoría en el congreso y su partido tendrá muy pronto el control de la Corte Suprema de Justicia. Este escenario no es muy diferente al poder que ostentan Vladimir Putin, Nicolás Maduro y Daniel Ortega. Solo nos queda esperar que la institucionalidad de los Estados Unidos, construida a lo largo de los últimos 240 años, sea más fuerte y prevalezca sobre cualquier intento de abuso de poder.
Afortunadamente para la humanidad muchas de las propuestas de Donald Trump no podrán convertirse en realidad. El presidente electo no podrá frenar la globalización construyendo muros físicos o metafóricos, ni podrá desconocer unilateralmente los compromisos internacionales, como cuando cuestionó el papel que hoy juega Estados Unidos dentro de la OTAN.
Son muchas las razones que explican el triunfo de Donald Trump y los analistas políticos se encargarán de analizarlas. Yo hoy solo quiero mencionar dos: el exacerbado machismo del pueblo norteamericano que le impidió votar por una candidata sumamente preparada y de gran experiencia en la vida pública; y el racismo reflejado en la incapacidad de reconocer la labor del primer presidente afroamericano, un hombre brillante, admirado en su país y en el resto del mundo. Creo que si Donald Trump hubiese sido candidato a la presidencia en Francia, Alemania, el Reino Unido, Dinamarca, Suecia o Costa Rica, con suerte hubiese obtenido un diez por ciento de los votos. Los hombres y mujeres de la patria de Lincoln se merecen algo mucho mejor.

TRANSLATION - please keep in mind that I used an automatic translation program... some wors might be a little off.

THE TRIUMPH OF DONALD TRUMP by Oscar Arias (former President of Costa Rica)

One of the features of our time is that the populism not is own of a country, of a region or of a continent; nor of an ideology, because is gives in them parties political both of left as of right. Populism has become a universal phenomenon: there is in Europe, in Asia, in Latin America and, from yesterday, also in the United States. Triumphed in elections the candidate who for me represents the denial of serious and responsible politician, one who tells people what they should know and not what you want to hear, who believes that the ultimate aim of the policy is to educate his people.
Think that the electorate American chose yesterday to the more ignorant, uneducated and liar of them candidates presidential of the past times. There has been an aspirant to the White House as impulsive, Moody, racist, xenophobic, misogynistic and capable of using political power to do harm in the political arena in the United States.
The dangerous combination of the personality of Donald Trump next to the strong mandate received yesterday of the people American are a threat for the democracy. Donald Trump is a man arrogant that based its campaign by appealing to the fear and to the anger of his people. Starting from January, will receive the reins of the power Executive, obtained most in the Congress and his party will have very soon the control of the Court Supreme of Justice. This scenario is not very different from the power of Vladimir Putin, Nicolas Maduro and Daniel Ortega. Only us is wait that the institutionality of them United States, built along them last 240 years, is more strong and prevail on any attempt of abuse of power.
Fortunately for humanity many proposals of Donald Trump not can become a reality. He President elected not can stop the globalization building walls physical or metaphorical, or may ignore unilaterally them commitments international, as when questioned the role that today plays United States within the NATO.
Are many reasons that explain the triumph of Donald Trump and political analysts are responsible for analyzing them. I now just want to mention two: exacerbated machismo of the American people that prevented him from voting for a candidate highly prepared and extensive experience in public life; and the racism reflected in the inability of recognize the work of the first President African-American, a man brilliant, admired in his country and in the rest of the world. I think that if Donald Trump had been candidate to the Presidency in France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden or Costa Rica, with luck had retrieved a ten percent of the votes. The men and women of the homeland of Lincoln are deserving something much better.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:48 PM   #15
Leishycat
Dark and scarry

Pretty spot-on article from the Guardian on the left's big flaw exposed by Brexit and the Trump campaign: We aren't ruthless enough.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #16
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishycat View Post
Pretty spot-on article from the Guardian on the left's big flaw exposed by Brexit and the Trump campaign: We aren't ruthless enough.
Meh, maybe. But in both Brexit and the recent US election, the side that lost seemed to feel that the reasons for voting for it were pretty self-evident, and seemed to futter around, trying to decide how much to make fun of the other side versus how much they should creep over to that side on certain issues. Neither one ran a campaign that seemed to make people want to vote for them, more like a mix of 'surely you can't vote for those bozos' and 'it is clearly your duty to vote for us upstanding, uptight, protectors of tradition and decency.'

I grant you that neither in the UK or the US was that probably the intent, but in both cases there was not the courage to truly stand up for their cause, and endure the inevitable mockery that the populists would throw at it. I guess they felt that if they kept a low profile and didn't make much of a target of themselves, they'd win by default?

Don't get me wrong, I would have voted stay in the UK, and voted Democrat in the US election, but probably more in spite of the campaigns behind those sides than because of them.

Now contrast with Obama's campaign in 2008 (or for those who pay attention to such things, the Trudeau Liberals in the Canadian election in 2015).