Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Archives > Hyde Park (Archive Only)

Old 11-22-2016, 04:43 PM   #26
ALS Again

ALS Again can now change their title

As a communications grad student, I am extremely concerned about the censorship--from all political sides--that is sweeping through the United States. Granted, this board is international but based in Canada, so speech laws are likely different than the laws of the U.S.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #27
Leishycat
Dark and scarry

Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!

The owners of Dimensions are not obligated in any way to provide an outlet for free speech. Free speech laws only apply to governmental entities, which Dimensions is not.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #28
Leishycat
Dark and scarry

Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!Leishycat keeps pushing the rep limit!

And yes, ideally there should be rules that make the boards a safe space for marginalized minorities.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #29
ALS Again

Gah, you're right. Dimensions is a private entity.

I'm all for free spaces, and I do think that marginalized communities need a safe space. I do not think that Hyde Park should be closed, though.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #30
Leishycat
Dark and scarry

Well, keep in mind they're closing it temporarily while they rework what it is going to be. It might have a new name and different rules but it'll still be a political discussion forum.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #31
ALS Again

Or, maybe the board does need to be closed. Some pretty awful things have been said. I am just never a fan of censorship. For the record, I'm super Liberal, and I don't like the way that marginalized communities have been treated in Hyde Park. I'm just a huge proponent of free speech, though.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #32
ALS Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leishycat View Post
Well, keep in mind they're closing it temporarily while they rework what it is going to be. It might have a new name and different rules but it'll still be a political discussion forum.
True. Hopefully, the new board is better than the old board. I just hope that we can still have political discussions without the mud-slinging. Can political conversations even take place without mud-slinging?

I am going to miss calling out some of the less-respectable members of the board population, though.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #33
ALS Again

*cough*Bio *cough*
Old 11-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #34
Leishycat
Dark and scarry

I've kinda found as I joined the ranks of marginalized minorities that I'm not as much of a fan of unlimited free speech as I used to be. People don't seem to know how to handle it. :\

BTW, fellow Pittsburgher, we should hang out some time before the Earth gets swallowed up by the sun
Old 11-22-2016, 04:54 PM   #35
ALS Again

I hope I didn't cross a line into infraction land.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #36
Leishycat
Dark and scarry

I'm not going to miss that kind of behavior one bit. I greatly prefer civilized discussion over mindless insults and harassment. He's already said he's taking his ball and going home in the title of this thread, and I'll be glad to see him gone.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #37
ALS Again

Quote:
I've kinda found as I joined the ranks of marginalized minorities that I'm not as much of a fan of unlimited free speech as I used to be. People don't seem to know how to handle it. :\

BTW, fellow Pittsburgher, we should hang out some time before the Earth gets swallowed up by the sun
I should have thought about this from the perspective of someone who is a member of a marginalized community. Free speech does seem to have its limits, when I think about free speech from that perspective.

I'll PM you my cell number. We should definitely hang out soon before Trump destroys the earth.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #38
ALS Again

Quote:
I'm not going to miss that kind of behavior one bit. I greatly prefer civilized discussion over mindless insults and harassment. He's already said he's taking his ball and going home in the title of this thread, and I'll be glad to see him gone.
He was definitely . .. .something else (something not positive).
Old 11-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #39
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
A new political board will only work though if all participate in keeping it up to a certain standard of fairness - also reining each other in. Other boards show it can be done.
Except, Hyde Park or whatever the new forum is called is not like other boards. For example, posts on the paysite forums are almost universally positive.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #40
DELIMAN092262

DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DELIMAN092262 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
The owners of Dimensions are not obligated in any way to provide an outlet for free speech. Free speech laws only apply to governmental entities, which Dimensions is not.
Yet, Hyde Park bills itself as a place for free speech. Therefore, they have a moral obligation to allow a wide range of views. Otherwise, they are just a closed site.

Quote:
And yes, ideally there should be rules that make the boards a safe space for marginalized minorities.
You mean like the GLBTQ forum? (Sarcasm) I forum just for liberals and one for conservatives?
Old 11-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #41
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've actually found Hyde Park quite educational. As we're all finding out -- the world has more people like Deli and Bio than we ever imagined. If our country is to survive liberals are going to need to understand the deplorable mind set more thoroughly. People like Trump know exactly which buttons to push. Liberals need to learn too. To this end a forum like this -- where there are people with multiple perspectives (even deplorable ones) -- is a useful learning environment.

For example -- in my world -- if a prospective juror says anything during voir dire that reminds me of Bio or Deli I do my utmost to keep that juror from being seated.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #42
DELIMAN092262

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
I've actually found Hyde Park quite educational. As we're all finding out -- the world has more people like Deli and Bio than we ever imagined. If our country is to survive liberals are going to need to understand the deplorable mind set more thoroughly. People like Trump know exactly which buttons to push. Liberals need to learn too. To this end a forum like this -- where there are people with multiple perspectives (even deplorable ones) -- is a useful learning environment.
Then perhaps you will defend your deplorable comment as it relates to me? I have asked this before; and so far zip!

I believe that Voter ID laws are a good idea and constitutional. I believe that state sanctioned race based affirmative action is wrong. Does that make me a racist?

I believe the US Supreme Court made the correct choice in the Hobby Lobby case defending religious liberty. Does that make me a sexist?

I believe that people that kill others in the name of Allah are Islamic terrorist. Does that mean I am a Islamophobia?
Quote:
For example -- in my world -- if a prospective juror says anything during voir dire that reminds me of Bio or Deli I do my utmost to keep that juror from being seated.
Would you object if a prosecutor tried to keep a juror like you off the jury?
Old 11-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #43
DELIMAN092262

Quote:
Deli you really don't have a clue about so called safe space. The free exchange of ideas on college campuses requires that faculty and students feel safe to express said ideas. Faculty and students must not fear religion, the state, corporations, or local racists and bullies.
The funny thing is whenever a liberal/progressive goes to speak at a college or university you never read about protesters trying to prevent them from speaking. Yet, when a conservative speaker like Ben Shapiro goes to speak; many times there are protesters and attempts to prevent him from speaking.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:24 PM   #44
DELIMAN092262

Question: When the new forum goes online will the threads on the old Hyde Park still be accessible or will they be removed from the server?
Old 11-23-2016, 12:42 AM   #45
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELIMAN092262 View Post
Question: When the new forum goes online will the threads on the old Hyde Park still be accessible or will they be removed from the server?
Nothing has been set in stone yet but they will likely be removed from the server to increase space/decrease running costs.

It is possible that we will be setting up some sort of 'archive' board/system and the threads may end up there. It was actually one of the things I was planning on asking for opinions about after Hyde Park get's taken down tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:36 AM   #46
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

Should we maybe outlaw the terms 'deplorable' and 'regressive' in the new rules??

If there is one lesson to be learned from the past US election campaign, it is that no political culture can survive when all sides involved mainly concentrate on labeling and shaming the others.

Not everything that is covered by free speech is also good, fair or even correct communication style. Laws, rules and moderating can only so so far - the posters discussing need to be willing to do their part.

Quote:
Except, Hyde Park or whatever the new forum is called is not like other boards. For example, posts on the paysite forums are almost universally positive.
The Paysite boards aren't exactly what I would call discussion board. But if you look into the other, more various issue boards, the majority of debates there stays within limits.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #47
DELIMAN092262

Question: When the old Hyde Park is taken down; will the infractions committed by posters on that defunct site also go away? Basically, will posters on the new forum start with a clean slate? So will all posters be able to begin posting to the new site at 5:01 on Friday January 6,2017?
Old 11-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #48
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Question: When the old Hyde Park is taken down; will the infractions committed by posters on that defunct site also go away? Basically, will posters on the new forum start with a clean slate? So will all posters be able to begin posting to the new site at 5:01 on Friday January 6,2017?
We were planning on having ban/infraction length carry over to the new board, I believe, but it is definitely something that we will be open to opinions about before anything is set in stone.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #49
dwesterny
Unpleasantly Plump

dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!dwesterny keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
This sounds like some kind of liberal bleeding heart lefty amnesty program!
Old 11-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #50
mp7251

mp7251 does more than just post hot picsmp7251 does more than just post hot picsmp7251 does more than just post hot pics

It will be interesting to see how long it will take the liberal moderators to label the conservative's opinions as racist, pea-brained, ect... It would a different experience here to see a liberal get an infraction instead of waiting for the conservative response to find it offensive.