Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > BHM/FFA

Old 01-19-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Positive changes in BHM portrayal in the media

Maybe as idea for a new thread we so far have not had - a collection of examples where we can detect positive changes in the media portrayal von BHMs. As a FFA communication scientiest, this of course is an issue I follow quite closely and might get more out of than others.

This is the most outright example in very mainstream media of positive fat portrayal I've ever seen - up to the unabashed url title : These celebs look better fat.

Plus it's not in some obscure indie net-niche publication, but Germany's largest tabloid newspaper BILD (comparable to the UK 'Sun', though with a bit more quality & common sense), where the online version gets 1.6 million hits a day. And it was not hidden there somewhere after 3 miles of scrolling, but headline for the young-readers section on the page header, where it is automatically displayed alternating with 5 other issues.

http://www.bild.de/byou/2016/jonah-h...7836.bild.html

Apart from the fact that BILD is right here (that's a red marked calender event in my book normally) in the assessment of the celebs looks - I take it as a miniscule sign of hope than slowly mainstream media won't necessarily turn into (F)FFAs, but at least start dealing with the weight question in a bit more balanced and realistic manner.

So - have any of you found other good examples of positive shifts in the media? Features with good reporting about BHMs?
Post them here, for others to enjoy!
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default BHM in full monty action

The tough, earthy, handyman probably is the most common BHM cliché .... but this is a pretty entertaining take on it.

Not a very big guy - but some fun action instead.

Hornbach's (one of Germany's large home depot chains) spring TV commercial - keep in mind this is made for prime time TV, to be shown on public broadcasting before 8 p.m.
(Before you ask - Germans have a very different approach to nudity ... going nude in nature actually was a socio-political movement...)

https://youtu.be/WRSvNjDQSaM
Old 04-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
agouderia
Library Girl

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/08/fa..._1=305545&_r=0

... a nuanced, three-dimensional character feature on a SSBHM's unusual endeavor....
Old 04-07-2016, 10:25 AM   #4
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

http://youtu.be/BARZ5cjIGx0 this popped up in my feed the other day.

I was happy that he was portrayed as normal and touched on some emotional hard times without being too damaged.
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:06 AM   #5
agouderia
Library Girl

Normally there is no worse fat-bashing-rag on planet earth than the DailyFail.

Wonderously - today we can find an article even there in which a female journalist has clearly succumbed to the fascination of a great SSBHM (.... then again, if HM so obviously approves, what else can DM write....)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dores-him.html

What tickled me in particular is how close this hotel director is to the (at the time of writing entirely fictional) protagonist of my own "525" story ... even though I had never before heard of this gent.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:10 AM   #6
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Not only is that awesome in general -

Omg the affinity with your story is absolutely remarkable!
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #7
loopytheone
Administrator

loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.loopytheone has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh my goodness that guy is a dreamboat.
loopytheone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #8
LeoGibson
Slangin'

LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.LeoGibson has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I like the way he wears a suit. Definite style.
LeoGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #9
bigmac

bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!bigmac keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post

I was happy that he was portrayed as normal and touched on some emotional hard times without being too damaged.

Story of my life (at least I hope not too damaged).
bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
Pattie Vincent

Pattie Vincent can now change their title

...I know this thread is a bit dated, but I was looking through topics that I've missed in a while and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGibson View Post
I like the way he wears a suit. Definite style.
It's always great to see a suit being worn that is cut to fit the size and body type of the individual... it's a look that never gets old.

I think that's one of the reasons I have so much more respect for brands that are willing to make clothing for all body types; specifically when it comes to formal-wear. It's one of the reasons I always vouch for, and appreciate supporting a company like Men's Wearhouse (since they have big and tall clothing) when the family and I are going to a wedding or other formal events that require this type of clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyantha Reborn View Post

I remember this video trending and/or being on my YT feed when it first came out, and it made me think "it would be nice if we could see more personal experiences like this shared with the world!"
Pattie Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #11
agouderia
Library Girl

Normally all those Scandinavian crime/mystery movies/series are not my cup of tea.

But this Icelandic one has got me hooked - probably because of the lead character ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3561180/

And here's the article to match - with a title like straight out of FFA steamy fiction..

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...sson-interview
Old 03-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #12
DianaSSBBW

DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!DianaSSBBW has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Normally all those Scandinavian crime/mystery movies/series are not my cup of tea.

But this Icelandic one has got me hooked - probably because of the lead character ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3561180/

And here's the article to match - with a title like straight out of FFA steamy fiction..

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...sson-interview
OMG! Lost for words!
DianaSSBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #13
tankyguy

tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!tankyguy has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Tangentially related to the thread topic, but John Goodman got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame just the other day.
tankyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
agouderia
Library Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankyguy View Post
Tangentially related to the thread topic, but John Goodman got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame just the other day.
That is indeed good news! So well deserved and long over-due!

(... only my cynical mind makes me wonder if he finally got it now after he has slimmed down considerably ..... )
Old 06-12-2017, 05:34 AM   #15
squeezablysoft

squeezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging insqueezablysoft makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Normally there is no worse fat-bashing-rag on planet earth than the DailyFail.

Wonderously - today we can find an article even there in which a female journalist has clearly succumbed to the fascination of a great SSBHM (.... then again, if HM so obviously approves, what else can DM write....)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dores-him.html

What tickled me in particular is how close this hotel director is to the (at the time of writing entirely fictional) protagonist of my own "525" story ... even though I had never before heard of this gent.
I,I, um, well, *stammers* *bites lip* *swallows hard* *faints*