Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Clothing/Fashion

Old 04-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #1
Cynthia

Cynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Looking for Artistic Clothing

I'm looking for a source of reasonably priced avant garde plus sized clothing online. I've seen a couple of retailers with those types of designs, but the clothes are typically too small. For example, a vlogger who is probably no more than a size 8 ordered a NewChic blouse in 4x, and it was loose but wearable for her. Yikes; talk about inaccurate sizing.

Buykud

NewChic

Are there any good retailers out there for that sort of thing, or do I need to polish up my ancient high school sewing skills?
Cynthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:36 PM   #2
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've never seen inexpensive versions of those kinds of clothes. Lagenlook clothes seem to be expensive by nature. My guess is that since it's all about large geometric shapes and draping, fabric quality matters a lot, and good fabric is expensive. If you can sew, I'd go for it. The only catch is that that patterns are difficult to find, especially truly plus size patterns. And they don't look like normal clothing patterns because of the shapes of some of the pieces. Hemlines are asymmetrical, and there are often extra panels added, as well as tucks and gathers to make the fabric hang in ways it normally wouldn't. It's part fabric sculpture.

The black dress in the first link would be really easy to duplicate. It's a baby doll style dress with the waistline dropped way low. It's just a tee top with a tube skirt added to the bottom and a couple of patch pockets slapped on.

The one in the second link looks like a straightforward a-line dress with a shorter godet panel inserted into the center seam to give extra fullness and an asymmetrical look. There also looks to be something going on on the sides and back as well. IMO, you could take a basic a line pattern with front, back, and side seams and insert random size godet panels into each seamline from waist/hip to hem. Connie Crawford for Butterick B5193 goes to a true 6x. It's out of print but you can find copies online still. I'd use it and slap triangle godets into each seam, funky up the hemline to make it asymmetrical, raise the neckline to where you want it, and lengthen the sleeves. And when I can afford the fabric I just might do it.

If you're inclined, go for it. Buy cheap muslin fabric, work up your prototype, pick it apart and use it for a pattern with the good fabric. That's what I do.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
Cynthia

Cynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging inCynthia makes people happy simply by logging in

Tracy, thank you! You must have mad skills. My knowledge is a bit too basic for improvisation, but maybe I'll get there one day. Thanks for telling me about Butterick's Connie Crawford collection. I see a couple of interesting things there.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:01 PM   #4
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging in

Check out Janelle's designs at Love your peaches. She has many different designs that look similar to the ones you linked to, she does custome length on sleeves and hems. They are mid range prices but you can pick your fabrics.

This is just the first thing I saw but look through her designs

http://www.loveyourpeaches.com/image...ayon/10348.jpg

Of course this is MHO and YMMV . I am supersize so this is one of my go to retailers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia View Post
I'm looking for a source of reasonably priced avant garde plus sized clothing online. I've seen a couple of retailers with those types of designs, but the clothes are typically too small. For example, a vlogger who is probably no more than a size 8 ordered a NewChic blouse in 4x, and it was loose but wearable for her. Yikes; talk about inaccurate sizing.

Buykud

NewChic

Are there any good retailers out there for that sort of thing, or do I need to polish up my ancient high school sewing skills?
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly View Post
Check out Janelle's designs at Love your peaches. She has many different designs that look similar to the ones you linked to, she does custome length on sleeves and hems. They are mid range prices but you can pick your fabrics.

This is just the first thing I saw but look through her designs

http://www.loveyourpeaches.com/image...ayon/10348.jpg

Of course this is MHO and YMMV . I am supersize so this is one of my go to retailers.

I love the clothes from Love Your Peaches! The fact that I can pick the length and sleeve length is a huge plus and the quality of fabrics and workmanship is outstanding. Anything linen lasts forever and only gets softer and softer with wear and washing.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Cynthia

Thanks, Dragonfly!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Thanks, Dragonfly!
You are welcome. There are good sketches of all of her designs. One of my favorites!
Old 06-04-2017, 09:51 PM   #8
plushkitty

plushkitty is a member of the 500 clubplushkitty is a member of the 500 clubplushkitty is a member of the 500 clubplushkitty is a member of the 500 clubplushkitty is a member of the 500 clubplushkitty is a member of the 500 club

You might try looking through eShakti's offerings. Most of their stuff is more mainstream, but I have spotted some dresses and tunics like the ones you linked in the past. What's great about eShakti is that A) you can get it made to your measurements, and B) you can customize things like the neckline, sleeve length, and skirt length.

http://www.eshakti.com/shop/Dresses/...ress-CL0048715

http://www.eshakti.com/shop/Dresses/...ress-CL0047221

http://www.eshakti.com/product/CL0047388

http://www.eshakti.com/product/CL0035871

Sorry if I got your taste totally wrong, I'm not very familiar with artistic style so I just went off the examples you linked.
plushkitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #9
Cynthia

Quote:
Originally Posted by plushkitty View Post
You might try looking through eShakti's offerings.
Plushkitty, thank you! eShakti does have all kinds of beautiful dresses.

Sorry that it took so long for me to respond. My antivirus program gave me an alert for Dim boards, but now all seems to be clear.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #10
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

Quote:
Plushkitty, thank you! eShakti does have all kinds of beautiful dresses.

Sorry that it took so long for me to respond. My antivirus program gave me an alert for Dim boards, but now all seems to be clear.
Thanks for checking back in with us, I am very interested in seeing what you find. Post pictures when you do please!!!