Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Board Business

Old 05-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #1
HereticFA

HereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Dimensions website drift - RFD

Whereas the mods at dimensionsmagazine.com seem so focused on preventing thread drift in the belief all of a thread should match the original title or OPs message, and dimensionsmagazine.com in its current incarnation barely reflects the original dimensionsmagazine.com. The entire website has drifted.

Whereas Dimensions Magazine ceased operation over a decade ago
and dimensionsmagazine.com has no new articles or editorial style content.
Whereas Dimensions Magazine was the newsletter of the Fat Admirer Special Interest Group of NAAFA
but dimensionsmagazine.com no longer has any connection to NAAFA
Whereas dimensionsmagazine.com originally championed the cause of fat acceptance
but currently dimensionsmagazine.com champions size acceptance over fat acceptance
Whereas dimensionsmagazine.com used to be based in the United States of America (USA) and followed USA philosophies and laws on freedom of speech
but currently dimensionsmagazine.com is more focused on other countries where freedom of speech is non-existant or takes a subordinate role to other societal priorities
Therefore it is proposed that dimensionsmagazine.com be renamed to better reflect it's current coverage, philosophies, beliefs, and practices of the majority of website posters, participants, and financial supporters. A new name such as worldofsize.org (World of Size) is proposed as more appropriate for the current generation of participants.
HereticFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging in

Interesting concept, but I'm not sure how that would be beneficial to the forum. There is a large history attached to the name that draws users. I guess if you spend a lot of time around the SOAP BOX forum and are interested in politics and other things like that, there may seem to be such a drift. The other aspects of the board seem not to have changed much since I first became a member in 2005. I also have a giant stack of the paper copies of the Dimensions Magazines as well as the FAT SIG news letters. I totally agree that there has been a change from the Sig days which was different than the magazine and then finally to the online version. As technology has changed and it has become more ingrained into our every day lives it is only natural that the nature of Dimensions has evolved right along with it. The distance between countries is almost non-existent when you are online. That is also going to create an evolution. I don't think that is what your point is though.

Of course the decision of a name change would not be up to me, but I kind of think that your idea about the name change is more a political view than an actual way to improve the forums. Of course this is only my opinion YMMV.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
HereticFA

HereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging inHereticFA makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly View Post
Interesting concept, but I'm not sure how that would be beneficial to the forum. There is a large history attached to the name that draws users. I guess if you spend a lot of time around the SOAP BOX forum and are interested in politics and other things like that, there may seem to be such a drift. The other aspects of the board seem not to have changed much since I first became a member in 2005. I also have a giant stack of the paper copies of the Dimensions Magazines as well as the FAT SIG news letters. I totally agree that there has been a change from the Sig days which was different than the magazine and then finally to the online version. As technology has changed and it has become more ingrained into our every day lives it is only natural that the nature of Dimensions has evolved right along with it. The distance between countries is almost non-existent when you are online. That is also going to create an evolution. I don't think that is what your point is though.

Of course the decision of a name change would not be up to me, but I kind of think that your idea about the name change is more a political view than an actual way to improve the forums. Of course this is only my opinion YMMV.
I started subscribing to the NAAFA FA-SIG newsletter when it was called just that. And my subscription ended with Dimensions Magazine when the last issue was published. (A lucky coincidence for me, unlike many others that still had issues remaining.) My photos were used for one issue's cover and the photo set on Joy (Sorry, don't remember the issue year or month). So I've witnessed and participated in the lifespan of the Dimensions Magazine and website. I've seen easily 25x more people come and go than participate here now.

Dimensions has been changing for years, even in the original forums. With the de-emphasis on fat acceptance and the increasing focus on size acceptance, that alone is a strong influence on my proposal.

While the physical distance between countries seems non-existent, the differences between their laws stands in stark contrast to that illusion. The increasing criminalization of speech in various countries will eventually cause posters in the US to commit an offense for something that's protected in the US but illegal elsewhere. And they may not realize it until they try to gain entry to that country on a tourist visa and are denied entry. For that reason I'd like for there to be no illusion that the Dimensions website has any US based protections as we go forward.

My hope is by changing the name to 'worldofsizes' (.org or .net), that better reflects the realities of the forums, and a more world oriented focus for size acceptance.

And by not having Dimensions in the name it will underscore that things have really changed and evolved.
HereticFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging in

I hear what you are saying. There is the fact that this forum has two distinct sides. Paysite and Non-paysite. The pay-site end of things is still there still functioning. The rest except for a small area (soap box) is not intense enough to warrent such a huge shift. Again my opinion. I too miss the days where this site was the gathering place. Almost like a Brigadoon, the bashes and conventions were places of freedom and acceptance, people met here on line for fun, activism and to find their place. Too many options these days I guess.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote