Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 07-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #1
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Pear Shaped vs Apple Shaped - Associated Health Risks Equal for Both

I've read for years that being an apple shape is more "dangerous" far as a human being's health is concerned. New research is showing that is just not so...

Quote:
In the obesity war, the pear shape loses ground
Pear-shaped? Apple-shaped? On the front lines of fighting fat, doctors say new research on body type will help them combat dangerous weight.
http://www.startribune.com/in-the-ob...und/192089321/

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging in

Interesting read, as an apple I have always gotten the weight in the middle speach.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm not sure what the study actually does show. First we're told that subcutaneous fat generates the "same damaging proteins" as belly fat. What damaging proteins? We don't know, because the article says nothing about them; instead, it goes on to say the danger is that any kind of body fat puts us in peril of many (unspecified) diseases. Neither assertion is discussed in further detail, as far as I can see. FWIW, I recently read a book on obesity, diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome -- by an endocrinologist -- which made no reference to the generation of "dangerous proteins". I'm always a little leery of articles on obesity in the popular press: they don't always tell the same stories as the articles I read in online medical journals, but they are ALWAYS stridently in favor of weight loss at any cost. But then, doctors don't put ads in the papers, and the weight-loss industry does. And the first rule of journalism is "never offend a major advertiser."
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:29 AM   #4
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

I can only second Dr. Feelgood's approach.

Having bumped into this issue in various languages, the question of the effects of visceral fat is extremely fuzzy science, to put it mildly.

In the quoted article in English, they're talking about "damaging proteins". In German, they claim these are "metabolically active messenger substances". In French, they speak of "inflammatory molecules".

So what exactly is it???

Trying to transfer "findings" of which medical science hasn't even established an understanding of what they are, is on par with medieval medicine.

Right now there is so much money in "obesity research" and such an audience for fat fear-mongering, that any nonsense will be published.
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
HereticFA

HereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Chemerin, a protein associated with inflammation and atherosclerosis.

Link to summary of actual article with downloadable PDF:
https://academic.oup.com/jcem/articl...0/jc.2012-3673

I suspect they skewed the study by requiring participants with central obesity and that already exhibited symptoms of systemic inflammation. So it appears they rejected true pear body types with a minimal tummy that didn't have signs of inflammation.

From the 'Subjects and Methods':
Quote:
Briefly, the subjects classified as having MetS had at least 3 risk factors to sustain the diagnosis, including central obesity, hypertension (or on antihypertensive medications), and dyslipidemia (low levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol[HDL-C] and/or high triglycerides [TGs]150 mg/dL and afasting and plasma glucose between 100 and 125 mg/dL) (1).

So as usual, the popular press interpreted the study incorrectly. It didn't provide any measure of whether an apple vs pear body type was more likely to have metabolic syndrome (MetS). It was to show which reactive proteins were present and to what degree in the pre-diabetic state of MetS.
HereticFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love how some publishing office with a fancy name somehow is considered a medical expert.
Any one of us could give ourselves a fancy important sounding name and publish a paper just like that.
In the end its only their opinion.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #7
HereticFA

HereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracii View Post
I love how some publishing office with a fancy name somehow is considered a medical expert.
Any one of us could give ourselves a fancy important sounding name and publish a paper just like that.
In the end its only their opinion.
If you're referring to the JECM where the original article appeared, it is a peer reviewed publication of the century old Endocrine Society. If they're not qualified to write about endocrine issues we're all in trouble

If you're referring to the OP link to the Star-Tribune, I just chalk it up to the mainstream media not being competent to write about anything outside of food, entertainment, fashion or sex. My expectations of their work product being correct are extremely low based on a half dozen personal interactions with reporters over the years.
HereticFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:05 AM   #8
BigElectricKat
Just ask. I'll answer!

BigElectricKat makes people happy simply by logging inBigElectricKat makes people happy simply by logging inBigElectricKat makes people happy simply by logging inBigElectricKat makes people happy simply by logging inBigElectricKat makes people happy simply by logging inBigElectricKat makes people happy simply by logging inBigElectricKat makes people happy simply by logging inBigElectricKat makes people happy simply by logging inBigElectricKat makes people happy simply by logging in

All this talk of apples and pears is making me hungry!
BigElectricKat is offline   Reply With Quote