Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 08-17-2017, 08:53 PM   #1
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Who will be watching the solar eclipse on August 21, 2017?

We had about given up on this one. The closest observation points for totality are about 500 miles away from us. I had encouraged Mrs Ho Ho to go. I had seen several, while she had never seen one. It is one of those life-changing experiences, like your first kiss, or first . . . whatever.

At nearly the last minute, she decided to pull out some cash and buy two tickets on Sun Country Airlines. It is down-and-back in one day, with Sun Country taking care of surface transportation to the observing site.

Go, if you can. Be careful not to look directly at the sun during partial phases, until totality occurs. Then burn the experience into your heart.

Then come back and tell us all about it.

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
Iannathedriveress
Random Heroine

Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Iannathedriveress has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I will be since I will be in the area that is perfectly close to the sighting of the solar eclipse. I will be with some friends that day.
Iannathedriveress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
Still a Skye fan
Normalcy is overrated

Still a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging inStill a Skye fan makes people happy simply by logging in

I'll be watching what I can see in NY.

Michelle (Read or Dream)
Still a Skye fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
Rojodi

Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!Rojodi keeps pushing the rep limit!

We're watching tv coverage. So far, we have the Science Channel and I think a local weather channel will be doing it: We'll have 67% eclipse in my NY state area.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
AmyJo1976
Happy Holidays

AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!AmyJo1976 has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Funny thing I heard on the radio this morning. If you are a werewolf or have one as a pet, remain indoors away from windows during the eclipse. They will have an irresistible urge to look at the moon and risk being blinded. lol!
AmyJo1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging in

I have Lupus and one of my big flare triggers is the sun.... so much like the Werewolf.. I will need to stay indoors to protect myself I am planning on watching TV coverage of the Totality.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #7
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Not that the eclipse will be all that spectacular up here (something like 61% coverage), but I'm still a bit bummed that I'll be in project review meetings during the height of it all.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
RabbitScorpion
vienna carrier-no venom

RabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I saw the eclipse in totality, through thick high level clouds, interrupted by some low clouds. Did see the corona very briefly and not very clearly. I wasn't able to take a picture of it with the long lens.

The disappointing surprise the lack of true darkness. There was still enough light to read, from sunlit clouds in all directions. I was expecting to see a "wave" of totality sweeping over from the west, but the whole experience was quite gradual. I was "waiting" for totality, not knowing I was already in it.

Fortunately, if I can make it to April, 2024, there will be another total, with twice as much time of totality, and the path of totality will be less than 60 miles away.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #9
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Solar eclipse, totality, from Grand Island, Nebraska

Friends -

Mrs Ho Ho and I had talked back and forth about going to this eclipse, finally deciding not to go. Then she surprised me by buying two seats on a Sun Country charter flight to Grand Island, NE, centered on the eclipse path and therefore presenting totality. We flew down in the morning and back home in the evening - a long day for 2+ minutes of totality. I had seen two eclipses previously but she never had. I felt that everyone should have the chance sometime during their lives.

The forecast was iffy but we lucked out. The sky was quite clear by totality. We didn't bring much optical equipment - a little pair of birding binoculars and a point-and-shoot digital camera - no tripod. I wanted to get a shot of Mrs Ho Ho with the eclipsed sun behind her head so that the corona would look like a halo (she is an angel, y'know). I took a few practice shots before totality and one during totality. It almost worked, but got skewed to the side. However, a shot of the corona worked out pretty well. I was a bit disappointed at the time but the shot compared pretty well with other, far more professional, shots which I saw on-line the next day. I guess that the corona just didn't have much of the streamer detail that I have seen in other eclipses and in picture. I think this indicates rather low solar activity, with attendant magnetic lines of force. My shot is attached.

The ancillary effects were notable. The sky gradually darkened, the birds stopped singing, a wind sprang up from the lit (heated) to the darkened (cooler) area. We weren't high enough to see the shadow come sweeping in. The diamond ring effect was present, both at 2nd and 3rd contact. Almost, but not quite, a Goldilocks eclipse.

Mrs Ho Ho was glad she went and, seeing her reaction, I'm glad I went too. At my age, it is probably the last eclipse I will see, so very happy it went off as well as it did. We did forget one thing though. With the limited period and all our fooling around with cameras, we forgot to kiss each other in the light of the corona. Photoshop, here we come!

Ho Ho Tai
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solar Eclipse Grand Island Nebraska August 21 2017.jpg (10.2 KB, 27 views)

Old 08-26-2017, 09:53 AM   #10
RabbitScorpion
vienna carrier-no venom

RabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions communityRabbitScorpion is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Wow, HoHo, we were only an hours' drive down I-80 (in Lincoln).

Half an hour before totality, it was reported to be overcast in Grand Island and Beatrice (original destination), so we stayed in Lincoln (with blue sky to the north and high thin clouds to the south).

Right around totality, the clouds got thicker*.

Can't regret it. I know that if I didn't try to see this eclipse, I'd regret not trying forever.

This was my first access to totality. I did see partials in 1972 (sunny and clear), 1979 (through murky clouds), 1984 (mostly clear - in this case, I had not known there would be an eclipse, I only discovered it after I thought that the exposure meter in my camera was faulty. Further investigation revealed there was an eclipse) and 1998 (while in Florida). I also saw the 1994 eclipse in full annularity (living only 25 miles from the maximum magnitude of that one!).

(*) Could the eclipse caused the cloudy conditions (by cooling the air to the dewpoint?)
Old 08-27-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Ho Ho Tai

Default Eclipse follow-up

Rabbit Sc. -

I submitted your question about dew point and clouds triggered by ecliipse cooling to members of my old Physics/Astronomy Dept. I'll relay any response. A bit of properly-phrased on-line investigation should also reveal something.

You can view a good reprise on you PBS station (Nova - Eclipse over America) or can view a streaming version here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/space/e...r-america.html

However, the eclipse of 2024 should be available to many of you. See http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essent...eid=803a0248dc
I don't know if I'll still be around in 2024 but Mrs Ho Ho may go, even so. I told her to take a vial of my cremains with her and, since we forgot to kiss under the eclipse, she can kiss my ash instead.

I hope you were able to view it but, if not, better luck next time.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:49 AM   #12
Ho Ho Tai

Default Eclipse from airplane

A friend forwarded this to me. It is the most gorgeous eclipse shot that I have ever seen. The plane from which this picture was taken is not visible. The aircraft in the foreground happened to be on a parallel flight path. The "Diamond Ring Effect" is spectacularly visible on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solar eclipse from airplane 8 21 2017.jpg (82.8 KB, 14 views)

Old 08-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #13
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Thanks for sharing that pick, Ho-Ho-Tai -- it is spectacular indeed!

If we ever encounter aliens with some sort of magical ability to jump around the universe, I predict that we'll have a tourist industry for eclipses. We have such a crazy, random, coincidence of moon size and distance with sun size and distance to get these amazing eclipse events
Old 08-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #14
Ho Ho Tai

Default On the moon . . .

Tad -

On the airless moon (or from the tourist cabin of any passing flying saucer) you could see an 'eclipse' and the solar corona anytime, just by holding up a circular disk of the proper size and distance from your eyes. Aliens may have other reasons, for example, the Nebraska corn.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:39 PM   #15
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging inDragonFly makes people happy simply by logging in

I had a lot of fun watching online following the totality as it went along the path. Couldn't of had a better view than my iPad. The perfect option for us that can't do the sun.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote