Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 12-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!Ho Ho Tai keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Christmas gifts

Dimensions friends:
I'm copying this from an e-mail I just sent out. May it be of interest or use to you.

Friends -

We are members of The Museum of Russian Art (and music, lectures, and gifts). I'm sure that all, or most, of you have seen these iconic nesting dolls before. They are usually interpreted as a family, with the great grandmother, grandmother, mother, and offspring represented. I have a somewhat different interpretation which I have not found on-line, but is obvious to me.

As we grow, from birth through childhood and into young adulthood, we each develop persona and coping mechanisms appropriate to our surroundings, our ages, our beliefs and our skills. In introspective analysis (engaged in many, many times over the years "Who am I?" - "What was I?" - "Where did I come from? - "Where am I going?") these early models of behavior and personality never disappear, or are totally rejected as we grow into adulthood and (in my case) old age.

I think the nested dolls are a perfect representation of this process. As I said, my conjecture has raced ahead of my actual knowledge. I cannot find any similar interpretation in sources immediately available to me. I asked the proprietor of TMORA gift shop (IZBA) and she had not heard that interpretation either, but thought it was a good one.

I think that one of these sets of dolls would make a good gift for a younger person, as they approach, or enter, adulthood. Each would be accompanied by a write-up similar to this one; as in Buddhism, a focal point or a guide to meditation or introspection.

I think the same model would appropriate in the analysis of the steps of growth in a marital relationship, parent/child relationship, or in any evolving relationship.

I am sending this to a rather large number of friends and acquaintances, including some who are on our gift list (Don't peek!).

Ho Ho Tai

Posted By Michelle Massey | September 19, 2017
Join us in the Lower Gallery for Matryoshka: The Nesting Doll

November 10th, 2017 – April 14, 2018

Matryoshka, a painted wooden nesting doll, is familiar to many as the quintessential Russian souvenir. Pulled apart, the Matryoshka spills out smaller figures, each one inside a larger doll, until the tiniest one is revealed. Matryoshka dolls are new-comers in the ancient family of Russian wooden toys. The brightly painted toy was developed in the midst of Moscow’s sophisticated artistic elite in the late 19th century. Inaugurated at the World Expo in Paris in 1900, the Russian doll became popular with European collectors before it became a folk craft in remote villages of densely wooded Northeastern Russia. Moscow’s prominent artists played with its design before Russian peasant children ever set their eyes on the amusing toy.
A thriving industry in its early, pre-revolutionary years, Matryoshka production was brought under the control of the state during the Soviet period. The art of post-Soviet Matryoshka stands in striking contrast to the previous uniform styles. Once again a home industry, contemporary Matryoshka nesting dolls express the variety and dynamism of artistic talent.

Share with a friend

"The greatest wisdom: Love and Laughter, Inter-twined."
Ho Ho Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I have a set of nesting dolls from the Ukraine. I love being able to tell people that.
One of my former co-workers went there to visit her family (she migrated from there and is now an American Citizen) and brought it back for me.

They are dolls....designed to tell stories with and inspire imagination (ever seen the ones about Red Riding Hood?). They can be whatever you envistion them to be.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
Kristal

Kristal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKristal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKristal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKristal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKristal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKristal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKristal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKristal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKristal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKristal is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKristal is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Happy Holidays
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images (1).jpeg (13.8 KB, 16 views)
Kristal is offline   Reply With Quote