Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion
Old 01-28-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
UserNameName

UserNameName can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesUserNameName can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Stupid Question

This site is called "Dimensions Magazine". So um, where's the magazine? I don't see anything about any publication. Am I just missing something?
UserNameName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
MattB

MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!MattB keeps pushing the rep limit!

Others will answer this in more detail, but a physical "Dimensions Magazine" preceded this forum by many years. Although the magazine is no longer in print, there also used to be a main website attached to this forum that had all kinds of nifty stuff, articles, stories, etc...

Edit- Hey! The "Weight Room" stories are still online... http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/We...m/stories.html
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
Ned Sonntag
Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Ned Sonntag has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Arrow What Happened

I was trying to see if there is an archive of the print-version's covers here on the site and, no, not really. The print-version pretty-much ended in mid-'95 and there was one final issue a coupla years later. The original publisher IIRC sold the whole enterprise in maybe 2015 to... hmm, I think the folks who were running a sort-of similar/parallel site... I've never seen a really detailed article about that handover~ might be time to do one, eh? I did most of the cartoon-covers from '85 on, as the magazine evolved out of a civil-rights-group newsletter whose first few cartoon-covers were drawn by the late Susan Mason. As 'desktop-publishing' advanced, DIMz' publisher pioneered full-color photos-of-real-'pinup models' glossy-paper covers... this was just after SPIDER-MAN introduced digital coloring and better paper to the comics world, by the way... '88, '89~ that far back, kids. So then around '97 DIMENSIONS along with another silicon-valley-area magazine, Salon.Com, became the first regular online magazines. DIMz for a coupla years there was one of the central popculture hubs of the internet!
Ned Sonntag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
fuelingfire

fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

It would be kind of cool to have a "History of Dimensions Magazine" thread. I have no idea if people actually have old information saved for it though.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

To expand a bit on what was said above ...

NAAFA (national association to advance fat acceptance, or something like that) was the original (?) size acceptance advocacy group in the US. As I understand it, it was mostly aimed at big people, but of course attracted the attention of some FA, but that created some tensions. The FA 'special interest group' (FA-SIG) was formed to discuss FA issues, and a newsletter was started for that group (this was pre-web days, so a paper newsletter). That evolved into Dimensions Magazine.

When the web came around Dimensions created a web site quite early on, posting some weight gain stories and columns from the magazine as well as running competitions for 'wannabe' models for the magazine. Meanwhile a lady by the online handle of BBW-QT had a site featuring 'personal style' ads for bbw and FA, and she eventually added a discussion board and a chat room. The popularity of the board and chat room took off, and the band-width charges soon became too much for her to support, and a deal was struck for Dimensions to take those over (and she closed the rest of her original site).

Some time not too long after that Dimensions stopped printing an actual magazine, but it was far too late to change the web-site name. The chat room eventually shut down for technical reasons, unfortunately, but the discussion boards have carried on ever since (there was a re-set to new software in 2006).

As mentioned above, the original owner of Dimensions eventually retired from running it, and sold it off to, as I understand it, a company that runs a number of community forums. They tried a few things to monetize Dimensions, without much luck, but continue to support it. I think the history of hits and links to forum posts must help their on-line metrics in some way, even if the boards are not nearly as active as they were back in the day when they were pretty much THE online site for fat admiration.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:48 PM   #6
TwoSwords

TwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticedTwoSwords never has a post go unnoticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
I think the history of hits and links to forum posts must help their on-line metrics in some way, even if the boards are not nearly as active as they were back in the day when they were pretty much THE online site for fat admiration.
Another factor of note is that it's cheaper to provide bandwidth for a site that isn't getting as much traffic, currently, so Dimensions might feasibly squeeze through for a relative song, due to its popularity decline.
TwoSwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:54 AM   #7
Am Jim

Am Jim carries a lot of weight on this boardAm Jim carries a lot of weight on this boardAm Jim carries a lot of weight on this boardAm Jim carries a lot of weight on this boardAm Jim carries a lot of weight on this board

Remember when the web address was pencomputing.com (or something very similar to that)?
Am Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
Marlayna

Marlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions community

I used to subscribe to the magazine. It made me feel accepted in a world that was intolerant of fat people back then. Things have improved greatly, thank goodness.
Marlayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #9
ChattyBecca

ChattyBecca can now change their title

Would have loved to have seen the magazines. Great site BTW!
Old 02-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #10
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am Jim View Post
Remember when the web address was pencomputing.com (or something very similar to that)?
Yep, the owner of Dimensions Magazine also owned Pen Computing magazine (I think it focused on PDAs, back before our phones got 'smart'), and he didn't register a domain for Dimensions for along time, just making use of the one he needed for his money making business.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #11
Am Jim

Am Jim carries a lot of weight on this boardAm Jim carries a lot of weight on this boardAm Jim carries a lot of weight on this boardAm Jim carries a lot of weight on this boardAm Jim carries a lot of weight on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Yep, the owner of Dimensions Magazine also owned Pen Computing magazine (I think it focused on PDAs, back before our phones got 'smart'), and he didn't register a domain for Dimensions for along time, just making use of the one he needed for his money making business.
Interesting! I always wonderd how that address came about. Thx.
Am Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:54 AM   #12
fuelingfire

fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fuelingfire has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

It's a bit sad, if you google image Dimensions Magazine, you can only see two of the covers. Also there is now a different magazine called Dimensions, completely different topic though.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #13
John Smith

John Smith does more than just post hot picsJohn Smith does more than just post hot picsJohn Smith does more than just post hot pics

I'm still ponder to myself why they don't take opportunity to relaunch their magazine online... I mean, with access to social medis, blogs and ecetera this is likely possible.
John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM   #14
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I remember the magazines.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote