Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 11-19-2005, 11:37 AM   #1
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default 'Tis the season--Eggnog Poundcake

This is really good sliced and topped with French vanilla ice cream and spoonful or two of sweetened canned cherry pie filling. Or bake it in mini loaf pans and serve it like a quick bread.

Eggnog Poundcake

1 c. butter
Ĺ c. shortening (I use butter)
3 c. sugar
6 eggs
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. eggnog
1 c. flaked coconut (optional.... I don't use it)
1 tsp. lemon extract (can sub orange juice concentrate instead if you donít have any)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. coconut extract (donít leave this out)
Powdered sugar

Cream butter & shortening, gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg. Add flour to creamed mixture alternating with eggnog-- beginning and ending with flour. Mix until just blended after each addition. Stir in coconut and flavoring. Pour batter into well-greased and floured 10" tube pans. Bake at 325ļ for 1-1Ĺ hours or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Makes 2 loaves or 1 bundt cake.

Not my recipe. Here's where it's from: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/4809/xmas.html
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
fatgirl33
Just doodlin'

fatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 club

Thanks for the recipe, Rainy! Will try it out later this month and let you know how it went!

Brenda
Old 11-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm always looking for a new dessert recipe, and this looks fantastic. Will be trying it out soon. NUMMY!
BBW Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 02:54 AM   #4
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

You're welcome, both. I've made it every year for several years now, so now it's become an official tradition.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:36 AM   #5
Michelle
Member Schmember

Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!

Rainy, this recipe looks delicious. Thanks for posting it. Question - have you ever used a different extract other than coconut?
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
rainyday
Departed

Nope, that's all I've ever used in it. I had to buy a bottle (because who keeps coconut extract on hand?). It really does compliment the flavor, so unless you're allergic, I'd include it.

Edit:
Just realized I forgot to include what the powdered sugar's for. Sprinkle it across the tops of the loaves after they've cooled. Just looks pretty.

Last edited by rainyday; 11-21-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #7
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!BBW Betty has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Rainy--I made the poundcake this weekend. Fabulous! Thanks again. I will keep this one on hand for ever.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:51 PM   #8
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

We'll be trying it, too.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:43 PM   #9
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

This sounds like something I'd actually try and bake. Im not much of one but this sounds yummie.
bigsexy920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:21 PM   #10
rainyday
Departed

Glad you liked it, Betty (and thanks for the you-know-what).

The only bad thing about the recipe, Berna, is you can only make it about six weeks a year while eggnog is out.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #11
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh.... my.... GAWD! That sounds heavenly!! I may have to break my vow of stove abstinence and try this recipe out.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #12
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!bigsexy920 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Im going to have a bake fest at my friends house and do a bunch of these and give them as gifts and of course keep one for myself.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:42 AM   #13
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

My boyfriend is going to visit his father this weekend, and I plan on making this...I may have to make 2 loaf pans instead of one big one so I can sample it and still leave him some. It just sounds incredible.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:23 PM   #14
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

OK, I have a question...I it says it makes 2 loaf pans - but what size? I bought a 9 x 5. It seems big. Will it really make 2 of these?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #15
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

I dont bake much but I think I over filled the tins and they rose too much. but they sure did taste good.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:08 PM   #16
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

I'm sorry. Yes it will make 2 that size
Old 12-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #17
Pink

Pink has super-sized repPink has super-sized repPink has super-sized repPink has super-sized rep

Ok now that just sounds yummy.
I try a new recipe every christmas and this will be my New one for this year.
Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:16 PM   #18
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

We baked one of these last night, rainyday - YUM!!!!!

Old 12-23-2005, 10:43 PM   #19
rainyday
Departed

So glad it turned out okay for those of you who've tried it. Whew. I still haven't made any myself, but I may get some done before eggnog absents the shelves.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #20
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Guess what's baking in my oven right now....

I made 2 loaf pans and one has coconut and one doesn't. I also grated nutmeg on top before putting in the oven.

I think I will cut both in half and freeze half of each (I know that's dumb but I want to taste both NOW!)

I will take pics when it's done. (You can't be surprised. )
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 01-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #21
rainyday
Departed

Nutmeg sounds like a good addition, SVS. I'm interested in hearing how the coconut test goes.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:58 PM   #22
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Amazing, Amazing, Amazing. This poundcake is melt in your mouth delicious. The crust is decadent, sweet and crispy.

My roomie and I tasted the plain version first. YUMMMM! We loved it. Then I cut into the coconut version. DOUBLE YUMMM! Yep, it was also delicious, and we think we liked it a tad more.

But if I'd never tasted the coconut version I would have been gloriously happy with how the plain one came out. They are both delicious!

Here's a pic of the first one I cut into:

Rainy, thanks for the awesome recipe!!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:08 PM   #23
rainyday
Departed

You're welcome, SVS. Glad you liked it. I have an untouched 1/2 gallon of egg nog in my fridge with about two days left before it expires. That pic is giving me thoughts. . . .
Old 01-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #24
bigsexy920
Ok I'll be good.

WOW yours are pretty SVS. Mine were VERY tasty but not a pretty. Everyone loved them

B
Old 01-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #25
BBW Betty
Made My Saving Throw

The first one I made, I used a Bundt pan, and it was very pretty. I had to bake it extra time, but what a nice golden color. This last weekend, I made cupcakes with it, some with blueberry filling. They tasted good, but not as good as the plain cake. And I will never make cupcakes with this recipe again. Takes WAY too long.