Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 11-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Why I Haven't Been Posting Much Lately (Lots of Photos)

As most of you know, Sandie and I bought a house in Texas a few months ago. And before our guests arrived for Thanksgiving, I finished a few projects around the house:

The dining room - before.

The kitchen - also before.

The '70s-vintage appliances that came with the house. (We replaced them right away - see below.)

Looking from the kitchen into the dining room.

Looking from the living room into the kitchen, showing the ugly kitchen floor.

All the sheetrock pulled off the wall.

No more wall. There were two light switches and one wall outlet in that wall that had to be moved. I moved the switches into the wall near the living room by snaking new cables throught the wall from the attic. The outlet was moved to the outside wall of the room.

Fresh paint in the kitchen - Sandie's favorite color.

The Kit Kat Klock.

Keeping the vampires away.

(Continued in next post.)
Old 11-30-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Wayne_Zitkus has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Pictures - continued.

New subfloor I put down to make the dining room floor level with the kitchen floor.

Starting to lay the new laminate floor. I had to keep moving things around as I was laying the floor.

All finished - looking from the dining room to the kitchen.

All finished - looking from the kitchen to the dining room.

Microwave oven on counter-height refrigerator (both brought from Colorado), new GE Profile 5-burner gas stove, and the cabinet that used to be on left side of stove. I cut about three inches off the bottom of the cabinet so you can sit down to work there.

New side-by-side fridge, washer & dryer we brought from Colorado, and the portable dishwasher that came with the house.

New ceiling fan. It has two fans and a halogen lamp in the middle, and is controlled by a remote (no pull cords). I had to go up into the attic and install crossbeams between the rafters to properly support this baby - I didn't want to risk having it fall on Sandie's head.

Sandie's centerpiece. We bought the vase at the Mikasa outlet store, and the flowers at Michael's. Sandie put it all together.

Pansies - blooming in Texas - in November.

Actually, we have a few more things that still need to be done - a few pieces of flooring, new baseboards, new light fixtures, and enclose the beams that were exposed when I removed the wall. Plus we want to paint the cabinets and the trim. But that will have to wait until after the holidays.

Last edited by Wayne_Zitkus; 11-30-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Wayne_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
Wagimawr

Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!

That is a massive fan.
Wagimawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagimawr
That is a massive fan.
I know.

We were in Lowe's and suddenly Sandie stopped her scooter, pointed up, and said "That's IT!!" It's 69 inches from end to end (counting the fan blades). And with the two fans, it does a pretty good job of moving air.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Wow, busy beaver. I love the work, Wayne!
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:02 PM   #6
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Looks really good Wayne, nice work!
Old 11-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Very nice work, Wayne... so nice to see a house become a home.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:05 AM   #8
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Wow!! How great that you are so handy. I'm sure Sandie adores it, and especially all that purple. You did a wonderful job, Wayne. Good going!

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:56 AM   #9
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I feel like I'm spying on your house lol as I don't know you! I love your kitchen, its so happy and bright, the flower arrangement is the piece de resistance! I LOVE your retro 70s cooker and fridge though, Id have kept those, all that shiny chrome, fabulous!
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:16 AM   #10
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples
I feel like I'm spying on your house lol as I don't know you! I love your kitchen, its so happy and bright, the flower arrangement is the piece de resistance! I LOVE your retro 70s cooker and fridge though, Id have kept those, all that shiny chrome, fabulous!
Thanks.

The '70s stuff was well past its prime. And since the house had been empty for about six months before we bought it, the fridge was moldy inside.

Besides, Sandie and I both prefer cooking with gas, and that stove was electric. So we bought the new gas stove and hired a plumber to run a new gas line for it. It was simple enough, since the water heater is in a closet right on the other side of that wall, and he just had to tap into its input line.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:19 AM   #11
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaf
Wow, busy beaver. I love the work, Wayne!
Thanks. It made for a few busy weeks, but it was worth it. And Sandie thinks we've already increase the resale value of our home - not that we have any intention of moving....
Old 12-01-2006, 05:21 AM   #12
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclear
Looks really good Wayne, nice work!
Thanks. My ears were ringing for a few days after I hammered together that laminate floor - I'd recommend ear protection for anyone attempting a project like this.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:23 AM   #13
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
Very nice work, Wayne... so nice to see a house become a home.
Thanks. I'll have to post pictures of the other rooms that we've redone - like our purple living room and our deep red bedroom.

BTW, red paint is a BITCH to work with - because it has less titanium in it than other colors, it does a lousy job of covering what's beneath. I had to put THREE COATS on our bedroom walls in order to make it look good.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:25 AM   #14
Wayne_Zitkus
Proud FA Since 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
Wow!! How great that you are so handy. I'm sure Sandie adores it, and especially all that purple. You did a wonderful job, Wayne. Good going!
Thanks. Next year, we plan on replacing that double window in the dining room with french doors, and building a deck on the back of the house. It's the southern side of the house and it gets sun all day. It will be nice to sit out there in the evenings....
Old 12-01-2006, 06:32 AM   #15
Emma
On Timeout

Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!Emma keeps pushing the rep limit!

*mental note to self* Marry a man who can do DIY.

It looks lovely and I bet you've added tons of value to the house if you ever want to sell
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:51 AM   #16
abluesman
I da doggie daddy

abluesman is a member of the 500 clubabluesman is a member of the 500 clubabluesman is a member of the 500 clubabluesman is a member of the 500 clubabluesman is a member of the 500 clubabluesman is a member of the 500 club

Wayne, Having done several similar projects over the years, my hat is off to you, my friend. Great job. Now rest for a while before Sandie locates the next project for you.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #17
Carrie

Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Carrie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I love the lilac walls with the light green cabinets! Charming and very pretty combination.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:37 AM   #18
CitizenKabuto
On Timeout

CitizenKabuto has super-sized repCitizenKabuto has super-sized repCitizenKabuto has super-sized repCitizenKabuto has super-sized repCitizenKabuto has super-sized rep

Ok It feels like this thread is stuck on 'Flip this House' and I can't find the remote. But nice work!!!!!

JC
CitizenKabuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:13 AM   #19
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Beautiful job, Wayne and Sandie (because I know she's at least behind the color choices, right?) It looks gorgeous.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #20
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne_Zitkus
Thanks. Next year, we plan on replacing that double window in the dining room with french doors, and building a deck on the back of the house. It's the southern side of the house and it gets sun all day. It will be nice to sit out there in the evenings....
Yes, it sure would be. And a nice place to wake up in the morning, with flowers around and such, and a nice place to eat, when the weather is right. Beautiful, Wayne.

Heh. Yeah, Vick, I think we know where the wall color choice comes from... Lovely, Sandie. You must be so happy with your new kitchen.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #21
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Red paint will fade faster, too! So be sure to keep the curtains drawn, if ya know what I mean
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #22
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Beautiful home, Wayne and Sandie- looks like all the hard work is paying off

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:35 PM   #23
Zandoz
Highly irregular

Location: Turn left at the Pharos, then right at the library...Alexandria KY
Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Zandoz has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Congrats on a job well done! We've been living in our on-going rehab project for close to 4 years now. I know first hand what a pain it is to to be rehabbing while inhabiting...and how good it feels when your efforts come together.

I really wish we'd taken more/better "before" pics of this place before we started. Casa-Del-Troll was built around 1900. When we bought it, the only updates since the fall of 1952 was incompetently installed cheap 70s paneling. We were so anxious to get all the crap ripped out that it wasn't until a lot of the demolition was almost done that we remembered we'd not taken any good pics. Did you use some type of wide angle lens to get your whole-room pics? The "after" pics we've take come out more like jig-saw pieces than whole-room views.

Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be entertained. -- John Boswell

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool -- William Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act II, Scene VII

History doesn't repeat itself - at best it sometimes rhymes -- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Zandoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 08:57 PM   #24
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

I LOVE MY NEW KITCHEN It was so dark and small before and now it's huge and bright and I love being in there.

The French doors will be added asap and the deck next then a POOL!! Did Wayne mention the pool off the deck - off the house????????? LOL

Last edited by Sandie_Zitkus; 12-01-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #25
Punkin1024
Summer's already here!

Location: Near Abilene, Texas, in the country. Wishing all my DIMS friends lived close by.
Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!Punkin1024 keeps pushing the rep limit!

Great job! Love the color choices. It is so nice to be able to do home projects for yourself. I know I count my blessings that hubby is great with home projects. I know you are both proud of the results. Thanks for sharing your home with us!

~Punkin

"Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen till they've heard it all." ~Rainy Day People - Gordon Lightfoot

"Use what talent you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." - Henry Van Dyke
Punkin1024 is offline   Reply With Quote