Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 12-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #26
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'll be right over, missa. Those look FABULOUS!!

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:49 PM   #27
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

ORANGE FREEZE PIE

1 Deep dish pie crust shell
3 oz Pkg. orange flavor gelatin
2/3 c Boiling orange juice
1 c Vanilla ice cream,softened
11 oz Can mandarin oranges,drained ( I use fresh clementines)
1 c Whipped topping,thawed

Dissolve gelatin in boiling orange juice.Add ice
cream by spoonfuls, blending until dissolved.Chill
until slightly thickened.Stir in mandarin oranges.Fold
in whipped topping.Pour into pie shell.Freeze until
firm, about 2 hours.Remove from freezer 15 minutes
before serving.Serves 8.
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:44 PM   #28
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Mmmmm, sounds like a creamsicle. Try it sometime with orange sherbet Brandi. Makes it kind of fruity, popsicle-y. Yummy too.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:18 AM   #29
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Mmmmm, sounds like a creamsicle. Try it sometime with orange sherbet Brandi. Makes it kind of fruity, popsicle-y. Yummy too.
Ohhh I have....and I have even substituted the orange to strawberry YUM!
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:49 AM   #30
angeleyes

angeleyes can now change their title

White Chip & Orange Dream Cookies

2 cups Flour
teaspoon Baking Soda
teaspoon Salt
1 cup Butter (soft)
cup Granulated Sugar
cup Light Brown Sugar
1 Egg
2 to 3 teaspoons Grated Orange Peel
2 cups White Chocolate Chips

Combine flour, soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter and both sugars in large bowl until creamy. Beat in egg and orange peel. Gradually add flour mixture and chips. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.

Makes 2-3 dozen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg orange cookies.JPG (30.0 KB, 111 views)
angeleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #31
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I was hoping for cookie recipes! There is hope!
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:48 PM   #32
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Orange Glazed Ham

Glaze
1 lb brown sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp ground cloves
2 tbsp assorted mustard (yellow, dijon, what ever you have)

Oven temp 350

1 large smoked ham - butt or shank your choice - look for the pinkest one

Place ham on a rack in a large roasting pan (with lid or foil cover)
in bottom of pan add enough orange juice to cover bottom of pan about 1/4 of an inch

You can also add the rinds from the oranges is using fresh squeezed.

Using a meat thermometer- cook until 100 degrees

Uncover and glaze ham with 1/3 of glaze,
Repeat every 15 minutes or so until ham glaze is gone, and ham is at 160 degrees.

Let ham rest 15 min before slicing .....

I will occasionally strain the pan drippings, refrigerate, remove the fat, and reduce. It makes a very sweet glaze that can be used to dip the ham.
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:35 PM   #33
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
ORANGE FREEZE PIE

1 Deep dish pie crust shell
3 oz Pkg. orange flavor gelatin
2/3 c Boiling orange juice
1 c Vanilla ice cream,softened
11 oz Can mandarin oranges,drained ( I use fresh clementines)
1 c Whipped topping,thawed

Dissolve gelatin in boiling orange juice.Add ice
cream by spoonfuls, blending until dissolved.Chill
until slightly thickened.Stir in mandarin oranges.Fold
in whipped topping.Pour into pie shell.Freeze until
firm, about 2 hours.Remove from freezer 15 minutes
before serving.Serves 8.
This sounds so good! I love orange and vanilla together!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:36 PM   #34
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes View Post
White Chip & Orange Dream Cookies

2 cups Flour
teaspoon Baking Soda
teaspoon Salt
1 cup Butter (soft)
cup Granulated Sugar
cup Light Brown Sugar
1 Egg
2 to 3 teaspoons Grated Orange Peel
2 cups White Chocolate Chips

Combine flour, soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter and both sugars in large bowl until creamy. Beat in egg and orange peel. Gradually add flour mixture and chips. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.

Makes 2-3 dozen

Sounds like a recipe I could master! And yummy to boot! Thanks, angeleyes!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 12-20-2006, 09:38 PM   #35
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPrincess View Post

Glaze
1 lb brown sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp ground cloves
2 tbsp assorted mustard (yellow, dijon, what ever you have)

Oven temp 350

1 large smoked ham - butt or shank your choice - look for the pinkest one

Place ham on a rack in a large roasting pan (with lid or foil cover)
in bottom of pan add enough orange juice to cover bottom of pan about 1/4 of an inch

You can also add the rinds from the oranges is using fresh squeezed.

Using a meat thermometer- cook until 100 degrees

Uncover and glaze ham with 1/3 of glaze,
Repeat every 15 minutes or so until ham glaze is gone, and ham is at 160 degrees.

Let ham rest 15 min before slicing .....

I will occasionally strain the pan drippings, refrigerate, remove the fat, and reduce. It makes a very sweet glaze that can be used to dip the ham.
Wow. EP, I have to say you've got me craving that ham! And I am not a ham person! I've been converted! Sounds easy, sounds delicious and next time I have company this is going to be on the menu for dinner.

p.s. I can't stop staring at that pic.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:57 PM   #36
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

I made my foodie challenge recipe for Christmas Eve breakfast this morning.

Haitian French Toast based on a recipe I found on allrecipes.com.

I will post the recipe and my changes in parentheses.

1 French baguette (I used Pepperidge Farm toasting bread - thick slice)
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup white sugar
1 dash ground nutmeg (I used 2 dashes because we love it)
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar for dusting (Left this out)
(added 1 tsp of vanilla to the wet mixture, we like it on our french toast)
(added 1.5 tb of very finely grated orange zest because I thought it would brighten the toast a bit and intensify the orange flavor.

DIRECTIONS

1. Cut loaf ends off and reserve for another use. Cut remaining loaf into 1 1/2 inch slices; let stand 4 hours or overnight. (I left them out on a rack while we went and did laundry).
2. In a 9x13 inch baking pan, combine orange juice, cream, eggs, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, orange zest and white sugar. Place bread slices in pan and turn until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
3. In a large skillet, melt butter (1tb for each round) over medium heat. Add bread slices and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Dust generously with confectioners' sugar and serve warm. (We left that out because neither one of us like powdered sugar on our french toast.)

This recipe was definitely a keeper. I usually mess up the french toast and it is too dry or too wet, but this was perfect. It was sweet enough with out syrup, but we both added just a little. The orange flavor was just enough, tasty but not cloying, so very nice. The slices were perfectly crispy on the outside and custardy in the middle. Justin gave them thumbs up and ate all three of his peices instead of just two like I imagined.

Here is a photo of his plated up before he got to them:
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:20 PM   #37
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Oh yum! I will definitely make these for New Year's breakfast
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:41 PM   #38
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Mrs. Fuzzy and I did Challenge items tonight for Christmas Eve Dinner as pictured below:

Sichuan Orange Chicken, Sweet Orange Cream Cheese Wontons, and Orange Vinagrette for the salad (other items pictured did not have the secret ingredient)

Sichuan Orange Chicken

Orange Sauce:
1 1/2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon hot chili flakes

Chicken:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil

To make Orange Sauce, mix all sauce ingredients in a 10-12" nonstick skillet over high heat. Bring to boil and boil until reduced to 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Stir often to prevent burning. May be made up to 2 days in advance; use either hot or cold.

Meanwhile, rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut into 1/2 inch chunks.
Use tempura batter, and fry chicken in deep fryer 2-4 minutes.
Add Orange Sauce and stir until it comes to a boil, about 1-2 minutes.
Spoon chicken and sauce over rice (we did chinese noodles).

Sweet Orange Cream Cheese Wontons

1 pck wonton wrappers, or egg roll wrappers, cut in fourths
1/2 block cream cheese, softened
1 tbl orange juice
Powdered Sugar, to taste

Mix cream cheese, orange juice, and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Place a small lump of the mixture in middle a wonton, and seal with a little water. Deep fry until golden brown.

Orange Vinagrette

1 cup of Orange juice (concentrate)
1 TB Dijon Mustard
3 TB honey
2 1/2 cups Canola Oil
2 Pinches fresh ground pepper
2 TB cold water just in case

Last edited by Fuzzy; 12-24-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:12 PM   #39
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Holy Moly Fuzzster - you've been busy! Orange you glad Cat chose such a versatile ingredient?? Everything looks great!

Me...I've been a naughty girl. I ran out of steam after shopping today and never got to my baking. I doubt I will make the deadline for the contest, but I'll post my goodies after. I will bake - but probably not till the end of the week.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:43 PM   #40
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft
...Orange you glad Cat chose such a versatile ingredient??...
*laugh*

Actually, I had planned to do a Orange Dream Cake, but I'm not sure if I'll get it baked in time.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:54 AM   #41
Michelle
Member Schmember

Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!Michelle keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Mrs. Fuzzy and I did Challenge items tonight for Christmas Eve Dinner as pictured below:

Fuz, that chicken looks to die for. Were those homemade egg rolls too?

Thanks for the recipe. Man, I wish I lived close to you and your wife. I'd be "dropping in" quite often!
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:24 AM   #42
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
Fuz, that chicken looks to die for. Were those homemade egg rolls too?

Thanks for the recipe. Man, I wish I lived close to you and your wife. I'd be "dropping in" quite often!
Yes, those eggrolls, Pork and cabbage, are homemade as well. They are a Mrs. Fuzzy original.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #43
Cat
Gone baby gone

Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Deadline Reminder

Just a reminder....

There's about 15 hours left to get your submissions posted in the first Iron Foodee Challenge. Deadline is midnight (mountain time).

Voting will start tomorrow!!
Old 12-31-2006, 04:35 PM   #44
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

I know I'm late for the competition, but that's ok. At least I made it before the new year!

Went to visit a friend yesterday, brought my ingredients, and he acted as my sous chef as I baked. (That means he did all the physical work)

Here's what I made:

SPICY SWEET POTATO COOKIES WITH MAPLE-ORANGE GLAZE

For the cookies:
1 c. brown sugar
2 sticks butter
1 T. maple syrup
1 c. sweet potato, mashed
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. allspice
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 1/2 c. flour
1 t. grated orange rind (from one orange)

For the glaze:
1 c. powdered sugar plus more to thicken, if necessary
Juice of 1 orange
1 T. butter, softened
1 T. maple syrup

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Cream the butter, sugar, and maple syrup until light and fluffy. Beat in the sweet potato. Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl; add to the potato mixture with the mixer running on low. Mix until just combined. Roll the dough into a ball and either drop by spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet, pressing them flat with the back of your spoon, or refrigerate the dough to roll out later. (It will be sticky, and if you are going to cut shapes from it, you'll want it to be a little firmer.)

Bake each batch of cookies for about 8-10 minutes, or until the outsides are nice and brown and they don't give too much when you touch them. While they're baking, mix up the glaze. I just used a fork to combine the ingredients, but if you want a super-smooth glaze, you might like to use your mixer. Beat together the butter and maple syrup. Add the powdered sugar, a little bit at a time, beating continuously, until you have a thick paste. Add the juice from the orange, stirring until the mixture is spreadable or pourable, depending on how you like your glaze. To thicken, just add powdered sugar.

A thick glaze will retain its white color; if it's thin, it will be translucent.

When the cookies are finished baking, remove them from the oven to cool. Let them cool slightly before glazing, or the glaze will melt and run right off.

Here are more pics:

22-orange.jpg
Here's the required ingredient - the orange! This was post-zesting and pre-juicing.

26-orgmaplesweetpot-nekkid.jpg
Here was the first batch of cookies, still naked. You can see the bits of orange zest.

28-swtpotw.glaze-nf.jpg
After glazing.

36-tableofcookies.jpg
This was the table last night after the bakefest. I made other cookies too (Malted milk cookies) I will post about them elsewhere.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:26 PM   #45
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Malted milk cookies. I'm whimpering.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:20 AM   #46
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Those look phenomenal SVS...yumm.
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #47
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

The flavor was really good. Especially the icing (made with powdered sugar, real maple syrup, fresh squeezed OJ and butter). But I'm not thrilled with the texture of the cookie. Not crispy like a cookie. It's soft, but not soft like a soft cookie. It's more like a...um...potato drop. lol.

And they sort of tasted like pumpkin - but I am sure that's because of the pumpkin pie spices.

but they were very easy to make.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #48
IdahoCynth
Cockchafer

IdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions communityIdahoCynth is a pillar of the Dimensions community

they look fantastic SVS.
IdahoCynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #49
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

LOL! Tonights ICA was Citrus
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote