Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 12-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Holiday Dessert Photos / Recipes

I admit, dessert is my favorite part of Holiday snacking...
I'll head off with a traditional photo... kind of. This Gingerbread cookie was absolute happenstance. But when a cookie takes the shape of Peter Griffin, you go with it.

(The Family Guy, for anyone unfamiliar)

So... what is everyone else working on for the holidays? What are your favorites?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:08 AM   #2
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ha!! That's great.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #3
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!

Oh, I'll have pictures to post, yes indeed. This weekend I'm planning to make a batch of gingerbread men for my nieces and nephews. I'll have to wait to frost them until just before I'll be giving them in a couple of weeks. I'm planning on getting serious about the cookie making after next weekend. I baked the fruitcake several weeks ago so as to let it soak in cherry brandy... they're not quite done or I'd post a pic of them. In fact, they're rather unappetizing looking in their cheesecloth shrouds.
Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risible
Oh, I'll have pictures to post, yes indeed.
Ooooh I can't wait. You sound like you're serious about your desserts.
out.of.habit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
NancyGirl74

NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!NancyGirl74 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm not much of a cook but the holidays bring out the baker in me. That is to say...I bake it if it comes in a box with directions on the side.

I made this cake last year:
Attachment 11941

I'm also pretty good at slice-n-bake cookies, if I do say so myself.
Attachment 11942

Last edited by NancyGirl74; 09-12-2010 at 05:11 PM.
NancyGirl74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #6
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

I'm the same way... more or less perpetually learning how to cook, and eating the things I do really well most frequently. Gingerbread is where I get going from scratch - but mostly, it is out of a box. lol

Those photos are tasty.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
TheNowhereMan
Rambling Rover

TheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this boardTheNowhereMan carries a lot of weight on this board

i've always been quite the cook and i polished my abilities with cooking classes. ^_^
Old 12-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #8
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyGirl74
I'm not much of a cook but the holidays bring out the baker in me. That is to say...I bake it if it comes in a box with directions on the side.

I made this cake last year:
Attachment 11941

I'm also pretty good at slice-n-bake cookies, if I do say so myself.
Attachment 11942
Oh my gawd, those cookies look SO good! Yumm.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #9
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Inspired by Esme's post in the Thanksgiving recipe thread, I made a variation of her pumpkin dip for our December weekly potlucks at work.

I served it with Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Snaps.

It was a big hit!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

Oooooh, SVS! So creative... so tasty...
Old 12-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #11
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Yummy!

SVS,

Why, that's the purtiest -not to mention yummyest- cookie feast I've seen today. And I do mean today, because I've just been browsing through the ol' cookbooks checking my cookie list before I ramp up the Kitchenaid mixer. There were some mighty tasty looking cookies, but, really, your gingersnap and pumpkin dip look awesome!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:45 AM   #12
Risible
Monkey Daze

Default First batch of Christmas cookies rolled out...

Yesterday I made five different double batches of cookie doughs. My plan is bake them up on Wednesday-Thursday to serve at my family's annual Christmas get-together at a mountain cabin, which is this coming up weekend. I will post pictures of the finished, fresh-baked cookies later in the week, as doughs aren't very stimulating to look at.

Here is a batch that I made just for my husband, so that he'll keep his hands off the real thing when I bake them later in the week. He can't help himself; he has a raging sweet tooth . These cookies are called Holiday Fruit Drops. Now, I'm not a big fan of the fruitcake, but my husband is. This year, for the first time, I made my own batch of fruitcake using Mom's very old-timey recipe, and the five finished cakes are soaking in cherry brandy until they're ready to serve. In the meantime, my husband can do little else but comment on those fruitcakes, as in, "Boy, am I in the mood for fruitcake," and, "Ya know, some fruitcake would be good right about now." So, I made this batch of fruitcake jr. cookies just for him. He doesn't care for nuts or chocolate chips, so this is the stripped-down version. I did make the original recipe with walnuts and chocolate chips in addition to candied fruit and dates; I'll bake those up later in the week.

I collect vintage cookie jars; this is my latest Ebay acquisition- a vintage Lefton Santa Claus cookie jar. I love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize18.jpg (66.1 KB, 324 views)
Old 12-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #13
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Oh, nice!! I used to collect cookie jars, too. Moved too many times and I have no idea what happened to them. If I find them I guess I'll sell them on eBay.

Those cookies look good, Ris -- I love fruitcake, too.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Old 12-12-2006, 07:00 AM   #14
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

Risible, those cookies look delicious! You know a thing or two about presentation as well! I was baking this weekend too, I just haven't yet had enough time to upload photos. I will, hopefully tonight. (Can't wait for you to see my cookie jar, I think you'll like it... even if it is just accidentally in the background, lol.)
Old 12-12-2006, 07:21 AM   #15
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Cool

Ooooh. I'm just gonna have to get brave and try to make something interesting even though I'm doomed.. doomed..

Actually, I'm considering doing a pumpkin creme roll.. or some devil's food cookies.. or a red velvet cake.. Must... Remember.. Photos..
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:31 AM   #16
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Ooooh. I'm just gonna have to get brave and try to make something interesting even though I'm doomed.. doomed..

Actually, I'm considering doing a pumpkin creme roll.. or some devil's food cookies.. or a red velvet cake.. Must... Remember.. Photos..
Fuzzy, I just don't see there being a way for you to not do it fantastically. Everything you make looks wonderful, that MUST extend to baking.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:58 PM   #17
Risible
Monkey Daze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
Oh, nice!! I used to collect cookie jars, too. Moved too many times and I have no idea what happened to them. If I find them I guess I'll sell them on eBay.

Those cookies look good, Ris -- I love fruitcake, too.
I have a very modest collection of cookie jars at this time; in fact, this is my first Christmas cookie jar! But I saw several others on Ebay that I'm sure will be available next year for Christmas. BTW, Bio, with absolutely no comment on the cookie jar, "new" (at least, in our household!) or not, single-handedly emptied that full cookie jar that you see in the picture . In less than an hour, I might add...

RE the fruitcake, as I mentioned this is the first year I've made it- the start of a great tradition, as long as this year's batch goes over well. It turns out that, apart from Bio and my dad, two of my sisters love the fruitcake, so all five loaves I've made are spoken for, else I might be tempted to part with one to you, for your myriad kindnesses to Bio and I! As it is, Bio is leaning towards upset that I'm giving the other loaves away to family.

out.of.habit: Can't wait to see your cookie jar. There are so many out there that it's hard to just pick one or two off of Ebay. Bonus points for it being stuffed with freshly baked cookies .

Fuzzy: From what I've read on the Foodee Board, you have quite the fan club. And you now have my vote of confidence; go forth and create, and post pix pls tnx!
Old 12-12-2006, 04:49 PM   #18
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Yesterday I made five different double batches of cookie doughs. My plan is bake them up on Wednesday-Thursday to serve at my family's annual Christmas get-together at a mountain cabin, which is this coming up weekend. I will post pictures of the finished, fresh-baked cookies later in the week, as doughs aren't very stimulating to look at.

Here is a batch that I made just for my husband, so that he'll keep his hands off the real thing when I bake them later in the week. He can't help himself; he has a raging sweet tooth . These cookies are called Holiday Fruit Drops. Now, I'm not a big fan of the fruitcake, but my husband is. This year, for the first time, I made my own batch of fruitcake using Mom's very old-timey recipe, and the five finished cakes are soaking in cherry brandy until they're ready to serve. In the meantime, my husband can do little else but comment on those fruitcakes, as in, "Boy, am I in the mood for fruitcake," and, "Ya know, some fruitcake would be good right about now." So, I made this batch of fruitcake jr. cookies just for him. He doesn't care for nuts or chocolate chips, so this is the stripped-down version. I did make the original recipe with walnuts and chocolate chips in addition to candied fruit and dates; I'll bake those up later in the week.

I collect vintage cookie jars; this is my latest Ebay acquisition- a vintage Lefton Santa Claus cookie jar. I love it!
Dee, the more you post, the more I see that you are a true foodie! And a welcome addition to this forum

Btw, I am sure we've met - or at least crossed paths. I believe I remember you from one of the NAAFA conventions in LA (maybe even 1989?). I am picturing you in a cowboy hat in the hospitality suite. Am I hallucinating?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 12-12-2006, 05:59 PM   #19
ashmamma84
Om Namah Shivayah

ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!ashmamma84 keeps pushing the rep limit!

I just want to say that I love looking at the cake and cookies. Keep 'em coming!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #20
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy

will you send the pumpkin roll to me?

lol

I've begged and begged but no one will make me one *cries*
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:42 PM   #21
Tina
Older and wiser now

Quote:
I have a very modest collection of cookie jars at this time; in fact, this is my first Christmas cookie jar! But I saw several others on Ebay that I'm sure will be available next year for Christmas. BTW, Bio, with absolutely no comment on the cookie jar, "new" (at least, in our household!) or not, single-handedly emptied that full cookie jar that you see in the picture . In less than an hour, I might add...

RE the fruitcake, as I mentioned this is the first year I've made it- the start of a great tradition, as long as this year's batch goes over well. It turns out that, apart from Bio and my dad, two of my sisters love the fruitcake, so all five loaves I've made are spoken for, else I might be tempted to part with one to you, for your myriad kindnesses to Bio and I! As it is, Bio is leaning towards upset that I'm giving the other loaves away to family.
Don't tell him, Dee, but I think Bio is cute. Not the "I'm hitting on your man" kinda way, but in the sense that I'll bet he does a number of things (mannerisms) that you must look at him and think just how cute he is. It is evident even from here. It's wonderful to cook for someone who so loves to eat the results, isn't it? Sounds, and looks, like you are an excellent cook. I miss truly enjoying cooking, and haven't for years. I'd like to get back to it one day, when I have a kitchen I can stand to cook in.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:15 PM   #22
Risible
Monkey Daze

Okay folks *dusts flour off hands. takes off apron*. Without further ado:

My Christmas Cookies!

At top: Molasses Ginger
2nd row, L to R: Choco-Pecan Crisps, Fruit Drops with chocolate chips and walnuts
3rd row L to R: Oriental Crunch (flavored with coffee and almond with chocolate chips), German Anise Drop
4th row L to R: Peppermint Kiss Thumbprint (thanks, Kimberleigh, for the inspiration and recipe!), another German Anise Drop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resize19.jpg (83.4 KB, 211 views)
Old 12-14-2006, 06:52 PM   #23
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

OMG, Dee. Those are SOOOO pretty and look delicious!! I am inspired. I want to bake now!!

I bought the ingredients on Sunday so I'm all set. All I need is time

Hate to repeat myself...but they are really lovely. So glad you shared a pic.

(now share some cookies!)
Old 12-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #24
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

The first time I've baked cookies, evar. Well, cookies not out of a package, that is.

I even went out and bought silpats, a mixer, silicone spoons and cooling racks

I also posted these in the Iron Foodee thread.

Last edited by missaf; 02-25-2008 at 10:26 PM.
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #25
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Missa they look like they just melt in your mouth!

Am I right?

This thread is turning into food porn!!