Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

View Poll Results: Religiosity Poll
You deny the existence of a higher intelligence. (Atheist) 26 22.81%
You have no opinion on whether there is a higher intelligence or not. (Agnostic) 16 14.04%
You believe in a higher intelligence but do not attend any place of worship regularly. 46 40.35%
You attend a place of worship on a regular basis and often(ie once at least once a week). 26 22.81%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
James_au

James_au has said some nice things
Question Are you religious?

I've always presumed that the Weight Gain Community has few religious members. However it would be interesting to find out for sure.
James_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:28 PM   #2
comperic2003

comperic2003 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokescomperic2003 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Your definition of agnosticism is flawed. Agnostics believe there is not enough substantial evidence to prove or disprove the existence of God, or a higher power. We certainly have an opinion on the matter.
comperic2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:32 PM   #3
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm not religious. I'm fatlane. Religious hasn't posted in, like, ages.

Just remember that acceptance is 71.4% of size acceptance.
fatlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
Spanky
Freakishly Normal

Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!Spanky keeps pushing the rep limit!

Where's the box for "atheist but loves to listen to Jack Van Impe late at night and will probably convert on the deathbed when it REALLY matters"?

And that guy above isn't Fatlane, only Fatlane would have a real avatar.....maybe he is religious. Looks like a religious avatar to me. Real existential-like.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
James_au

Quote:
Originally Posted by comperic2003 View Post
Your definition of agnosticism is flawed. Agnostics believe there is not enough substantial evidence to prove or disprove the existence of God, or a higher power. We certainly have an opinion on the matter.
If you do not have enough information to form a conclusion on a subject how can you have an opinion on it? You have an opinion on whether or not there is enough substantial evidence or not, but you have no opinion on whether or not there is a higher intelligence due to your answer to that question. Whether there is enough substantial evidence to prove the existence of a higher intelligence is a closely related question but different to the one I have asked.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 PM   #6
Observer
Editor/Writer/Commentator

Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

In any event your assumption that this community is essentially non-religious is proving to be flawed by the survey - as well as by the vigor of periodic discussions on religious-related topics. We have numerous members of various faiths here, as well as those whose faith is science or in themselves..
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #7
James_au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
In any event your assumption that this community is essentially non-religious is proving to be flawed by the survey - as well as by the vigor of periodic discussions on religious-related topics. We have numerous members of various faiths here, as well as those whose faith is science or in themselves..
Firstly, if you saw a poll in a newspaper with less than 20 responses would you even consider trusting it? No one in their right mind would, because a sample this small proves nothing except for the views of the first people to respond. Until there are many more responses it not even close to scientific.

Secondly, I did not place the poll in this board, which I consider outside the Weight Gain Community as many people who are not in it take part in the discussions here. I have appealed to have it moved back to the weight board, because that is the only board where it makes sense to ask a question specifically to the Weight Gain Community. For the Dimensions community in general you may be correct, but that is not contrary to what I stated in my initial post.

Only if this poll is returned to the Weight Board can it prove something.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:47 PM   #8
Fuzzy Necromancer

Fuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging in

Why have you presumed that?

I personally am metaphysical undecided, but I think that figuring out a belief system that more or less defines right, wrong, and the true nature of the universe is a decision that merits some deliberation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile in thighville View Post
all we ask is that those without fetishes respect the notion that the vast majority of fetish-havers know how to reconcile their kink with the dangers of reality just as you would assume your next door neighbor is not a pedophile.
Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine.
Fuzzy Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:54 PM   #9
CurvaceousBBWLover
Primordial

CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!CurvaceousBBWLover has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm nominally religious. I get to church once a month if I go.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:07 AM   #10
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Can we get the thread moved to Hyde Park if we start naming who's gonna burn in hell?

I'm pretty sure Mini's goin' to hell, as he look-a-like th' debbull in his picter.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:16 AM   #11
Mini
Right, not nice

Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.Mini has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlane View Post
Can we get the thread moved to Hyde Park if we start naming who's gonna burn in hell?

I'm pretty sure Mini's goin' to hell, as he look-a-like th' debbull in his picter.
You were sayin' I was hell-bound well before I changed my picture!
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:27 AM   #12
fatlane
Starting Arvist

Well, you may already be there, what with them flames in the background.

Old 12-16-2006, 12:30 AM   #13
Observer

Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Thread hijack detector activated - this poll is now back on the board where its creator intended, so please play nice.

I would llike to know why the poll creator feels those who frequent the weight gain forum would differ greatly in their religious beliefs from he Dimensions general community or society in general?

And with 24 responses (four above your stipulation) at this writing the initial exit poll trends of earlier are holding firm. That is why I was willing to project when I did - incomin data conformed within acceptable deviation to expectations.

Last edited by Observer; 12-16-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:32 AM   #14
James_au

Smile

I am very grateful that my poll is back on the Weight Board.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:33 AM   #15
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I would be interested in an answer to that question, too. Danny?

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:38 AM   #16
fatlane
Starting Arvist

OK, I'll stop hijacking off...

Old 12-16-2006, 12:41 AM   #17
James_au

Perhaps my presumption is incorrect, but it seemed on the rare occasion religion has come up on this board that arguments have been very one sided. Someone, I think it may have been Ned, stated that a board which was sexual in nature, such as the Weight Board, a place to discuss weight gain fantasies, would be an odd place for religious types to frequent.

Please take into account as well that a few votes were made by people who may not be part of this community as this thread was sitting on the "Lounge" board for a little while.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:57 AM   #18
Observer

Ned is entitled to his opinon.

Actually Jesus was quite the gourmet. His first miracle was turning water into wine. On the day before his crucifixion he held a supper for His disciples. Churches ever since have been having potlucks and fellowship breakfasts. He was called a winebibber and a glutton by His critics. On two occasions He perfomed miracles that fed thousands and no one went away hungry - making him arguably a most benificent type of feeder.

So why would His followers be uncomfortable here? I'm not.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:06 AM   #19
philosobear
Thriving circuitously

philosobear can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesphilosobear can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

In response to the poll, none of the above. I've seen all those terms and been round and round the dichotomies they represent before. In my view, those forms of language aren't up to the job. Right, now I'll read the thread!
philosobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:13 AM   #20
James_au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
Ned is entitled to his opinon.

Actually Jesus was quite the gourmet. His first miracle was turning water into wine. On the day before his crucifixion he held a supper for His disciples. Churches ever since have been having potlucks and fellowship breakfasts. He was called a winebibber and a glutton by His critics. On two occasions He perfomed miracles that fed thousands and no one went away hungry - making him arguably a most benificent type of feeder.

So why would His followers be uncomfortable here? I'm not.
In my last post when I said "religious types" I meant someone who frequents a place of worship at least once a week or the type who abstain from sex till marriage. But so far in this poll there seems to be a fair few I consider very religious anyway.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:14 AM   #21
philosobear
Thriving circuitously

philosobear can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesphilosobear can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I don't think fatlane ever hi-jacks. He throws subtle light and shade on the issue with the cunning use of childishness.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:22 AM   #22
James_au

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosobear View Post
In response to the poll, none of the above. I've seen all those terms and been round and round the dichotomies they represent before. In my view, those forms of language aren't up to the job. Right, now I'll read the thread!
I know not everything can be properly categorized into these groupings, such as pantheism, some Buddhist sects and many others, but I was worried about over complicating the poll and confusing people.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:28 AM   #23
philosobear
Thriving circuitously

...and when talking about the meaning of life we would hate to do either of these things, of course! I'm going to butt out now, as if I do there's a chance you'll get some answers in the form you're looking for...
Old 12-16-2006, 07:11 AM   #24
James
vibeout

James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comperic2003 View Post
I totally agree... Agnosticism is certainly not the absence of an opinion...

Maybe its better described as an absence of faith..? or perhaps being genuinely open-minded...

I would consider myself agnostic, i.e. I dont have a belief but I also dont think that belief (either Atheist belief or Religious belief) is ridiculous, or that I would rule either out if my perspective of the world and faith were to change...

Last edited by James; 12-16-2006 at 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:22 AM   #25
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I feel like I have "made my peace with God" a long time ago even though I gave up the religion itself.
To the OP, I actually attended two different churches as a girl/teen in the southeastern USA (bible belt). I hold onto a belief in a higher power, mainly the God I was taught to believe in, but do not embrace any religion or practices (outside of prayer or meditation).
I have been chubby to fat since puberty. Do you think the fat acceptance community is "godless" because you see a lot of democrat/liberals on here? That seems like a slanted/misinformed basis for an opinion if that is the case.
I voted/sided with the democrats even during my religious spell. I know a married couple who are both Ministers that are Democrats, too.
Please correct me if my ponderings about your thought processes are wrong.

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote