Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board

View Poll Results: Religiosity Poll
You deny the existence of a higher intelligence. (Atheist) 26 22.81%
You have no opinion on whether there is a higher intelligence or not. (Agnostic) 16 14.04%
You believe in a higher intelligence but do not attend any place of worship regularly. 46 40.35%
You attend a place of worship on a regular basis and often(ie once at least once a week). 26 22.81%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2006, 07:33 AM   #26
James
vibeout

James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!James keeps pushing the rep limit!

ok... with zero wish to flame i have an observation...

Ok, I'm british, so I probably dont get it... but from my viewpoint it almost seems that the fervour with which some people back democrats or republicans kinda seems nearly like a religion in itself...

some of the avatars and signitures on here (for instance) seem pretty full on.... I cant work out if its pride or just baiting the "opposition"...
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:46 AM   #27
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz_au View Post
In my last post when I said "religious types" I meant someone who frequents a place of worship at least once a week or the type who abstain from sex till marriage. But so far in this poll there seems to be a fair few I consider very religious anyway.
Christianity is not the only religion, you know.

ETA: (Neither is born-again Christianity, for that matter. And I KNOW I'm not the only one thinking what I'm thinking.)

Last edited by Blackjack; 12-16-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:03 AM   #28
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I prefer Macs to PCs and Windows to Unix.

People can get crazy about that sort of thing, too.

Personally, I'm getting into Daoist writers right now. They're quite cool and modular: one can tack them on to any other religion or philosophy one might have handy.

Just remember that acceptance is 71.4% of size acceptance.
fatlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #29
philosobear
Thriving circuitously

philosobear can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesphilosobear can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

James and Blackjack...well done, both of those points had to be made. Shit, there I go posting again. I don't know what's good for me, do I?

Danny, it's a blow for science (let's face it, that's long gone anyway) but I think I want to know your hypothesis. I've done some social research before, and I reckon this is time to switch to more qualitative methods. A quantitive analysis is totally hopeless on most fronts in this situation. This discussion would get a lot more creative and less paranoid if people knew what you were thinking. If you read Anne Marie's early post, I think you'll see that the wily web-vixen saw that one coming. Pay heed to the lady.
philosobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:49 AM   #30
Jay West Coast
Witness to the Thickness

Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!Jay West Coast keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Are you religious?

Yes. Why?
Old 12-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #31
treesntrees
On Timeout

treesntrees has said some nice things
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
Ned is entitled to his opinon.

Actually Jesus was quite the gourmet. His first miracle was turning water into wine. On the day before his crucifixion he held a supper for His disciples. Churches ever since have been having potlucks and fellowship breakfasts. He was called a winebibber and a glutton by His critics. On two occasions He perfomed miracles that fed thousands and no one went away hungry - making him arguably a most benificent type of feeder.

So why would His followers be uncomfortable here? I'm not.
And Jesus did afterall break the sabbath rules to take a bunch of folks out to a field and eat (Luke chapter 6). Ending hunger was one of his most primary tenants perhaps why so many his followers have traditionally been involved in feeds for the homeless.
treesntrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 01:20 AM   #32
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've never at all been religious. I absolutely believe in a higher intelligence except I don't know if it's higher or inside or outside and I don't know if it's "intelligent" or just is.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #33
formerking

formerking can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesformerking can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

The higher intelligence does not explain anything but is merely another term for the great unknown. My reasoning is as follows: The universe by definition is all there is. Therefore, if there is a higher intelligence must be part of the universe. But something which is part of an unexplained greater cannot explain that greater. So perhaps the universe has self-awareness. If that were the case would man ever be able to understand or even be able to communicate with this mind? In my lifetime I surely will not know and that is why I am an agnostic.
formerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #34
William
On Timeout

William makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging in

Oppppps

I answered the poll and I am not a feeder or gainer!!!

William

Quote:
I am very grateful that my poll is back on the Weight Board.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:03 PM   #35
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlane View Post
Personally, I'm getting into Daoist writers right now. They're quite cool and modular: one can tack them on to any other religion or philosophy one might have handy.
Geeeze... that's what i'm getting from not paying nuff attention ... Instead of Daoist i was reading Dadaist Comes quite handy since Dada stood up as the ultimate post-religious, post-all-isms perspective. But not in the sense of frowning upon religions or isms (at least not in its general approach) and thus marking the ultimate PANorama of vision respectively "The Last Loosening" (Walter Serner)
Old 12-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #36
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

The poll isn't really clear and is pretty limited. What about people who attend church and don't believe? What about pantheists? What about polytheists? What about Taoists?

More importantly, how do you mean this, Mr. OP? What's the point? I mean, while we're asking personal questions, why don't we throw out questions about political persuasion or sexual orientation?

No, none of these things are embarassing, but it seems to be a question that could only be sparked by a precise motivation with such cut and formed answers and a heavy implication sitting right in the middle of the question. So I guess what I'm saying, is feel free to explain.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #37
UncannyBruceman
On Timeout

UncannyBruceman makes people happy simply by logging inUncannyBruceman makes people happy simply by logging inUncannyBruceman makes people happy simply by logging inUncannyBruceman makes people happy simply by logging inUncannyBruceman makes people happy simply by logging inUncannyBruceman makes people happy simply by logging inUncannyBruceman makes people happy simply by logging inUncannyBruceman makes people happy simply by logging inUncannyBruceman makes people happy simply by logging in

Can someone tell me why this is in the Weight Board and not The Lounge?
UncannyBruceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #38
Wagimawr

Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!Wagimawr keeps pushing the rep limit!

Cause he requested that the thread be here, since he wants to specifically know the religious makeup of the gaining community.
Wagimawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #39
ciaobella

ciaobella can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesciaobella can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I think OP should explain why he wanted to know this...I find it somewhat offensive that he should assume a member of the weight board is not religious!
ciaobella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:21 PM   #40
James_au

James_au has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
I feel like I have "made my peace with God" a long time ago even though I gave up the religion itself.
To the OP, I actually attended two different churches as a girl/teen in the southeastern USA (bible belt). I hold onto a belief in a higher power, mainly the God I was taught to believe in, but do not embrace any religion or practices (outside of prayer or meditation).
I have been chubby to fat since puberty. Do you think the fat acceptance community is "godless" because you see a lot of democrat/liberals on here? That seems like a slanted/misinformed basis for an opinion if that is the case.
I voted/sided with the democrats even during my religious spell. I know a married couple who are both Ministers that are Democrats, too.
Please correct me if my ponderings about your thought processes are wrong.
No, I do not think the "Size Acceptance Community" is godless. This is not a size acceptance board. Please read my earlier posts.
James_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #41
James_au

Angry

OK, I am not going to answer anymore questions or take part in this discussion anymore. I am getting very sick of stupid repeat questions and statements as I have answered them earlier in this thread and I am getting rather annoyed. Before you ask a question read ALL of my posts!
Old 12-17-2006, 04:34 PM   #42
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Direct me to the posts where my questions were answered. Then, I suggest you find the biggest chill pill and swallow.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #43
BigCutieSasha
Fatty McFat Fat

BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!BigCutieSasha keeps pushing the rep limit!

I went to church today And I really enjoyed it. Feels nice to be able to say that. And Tina, remember that conversation we had that the Dims dinner? About the movie Stigmata? I still think that movie has a great message in it I just watched it the other day.
BigCutieSasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:15 PM   #44
Littleghost
Oh, Frickenstein.

Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
If you do not have enough information to form a conclusion on a subject how can you have an opinion on it?
HA! People do that all the time. Obviously, you're new to this whole human race thing.

The more I know, the more I realize I know nutzing.

--Littleghost
The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. The test of a first rate wallpaper is to wipe clean easily when the previous fails.
Littleghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:24 PM   #45
Kilgore Trout
total sycophant

Kilgore Trout can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesKilgore Trout can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes
Default Definition of atheist / minor analysis of poll

I'm struggling with the definition you've applied to "atheist." The problem lies in the "deny" part of the definition. There's almost an implication in the way it's worded, that god does exist, and atheists are simply "denying" him/her. I found an example while searching for a definition of theist as to why it rubs me the wrong way. "Theist - A theist is someone who denies that God doesn't exist" (skepdic.com) It puts the "default assumption" back at "no god."

Regardless, I understand why you might think that there would be a larger percentage of a-religious people here. Despite the fact that it's certainly not a scientific poll (as if a scientific poll could be conducted here) an atheist quotient of nearly 25% added to the agnostic quotient of 10% yeilds a much higher than normal percentage of the a-religious. In fact, it has been estimated that currently, 10% of US citizens are agnostic/atheist, which means that we have roughly 3.5x the percentage of agnostic/atheist on this board.
It certainly seems like the hypothesis has merit based on the results so far, but, in order to truly tell, other "board" populations would have to be sampled. It could be that those who have on-line lives are simply more likely to be agnostic/atheist. Or it could be strictly age based, with the older population, who are not on-line as much being heavily skewed towards the religious side.
All these possibilities aside, it makes sense that a place steeped in sexuality would not be particularly religious, particulary sexuality that falls clearly in the crosshairs of the "seven deadly sins."
Kilgore Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #46
Littleghost
Oh, Frickenstein.

Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Littleghost has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I totally agree... Agnosticism is certainly not the absence of an opinion...

Maybe its better described as an absence of faith..? or perhaps being genuinely open-minded...

I would consider myself agnostic, i.e. I dont have a belief but I also dont think that belief (either Atheist belief or Religious belief) is ridiculous, or that I would rule either out if my perspective of the world and faith were to change...
Yeah, the root of agnostic is 'no+special knowledge'. Gnostic christians claim(ed) they have special knowledge that there is a God/Jesus. Agnostics vary in their beliefs, but claim their is no special knowledge for proof of any supernatural belief. Generally agnostics are on a never-ending search for inner and outer knowledge. Sounds a bit like Kung-Fu, the TV series...

--Littleghost
The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. The test of a first rate wallpaper is to wipe clean easily when the previous fails.
Littleghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #47
James_au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleghost View Post
HA! People do that all the time. Obviously, you're new to this whole human race thing.

The more I know, the more I realize I know nutzing.

--Littleghost
Yes, but agnostics don't have an opinion for that reason.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #48
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

So, since you refuse to answer any of the questions posed to you and instead choose to repeat over and over again how agnostics can't possibly have an opinion on what you believe...

I'm just wondering why you shouldn't be considered a troll.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:00 PM   #49
James_au

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
So, since you refuse to answer any of the questions posed to you and instead choose to repeat over and over again how agnostics can't possibly have an opinion on what you believe...

I'm just wondering why you shouldn't be considered a troll.
So you're going to start name calling? This is getting very childish. You can clearly see I'm not a troll. I think you just want irritate me for your own amusement. I was annoyed because of the people weren't reading previous posts and wasting my time. Littleghost posed a very good point that people in general do jump do to conclusions and since he had taken the time to actually read my posts, which many couldn't be bothered to do or wanted me to find them for them I believed he deserved a response and so I clarified my earlier post for him. I have responded to pretty much every question at least once, which proves you are not telling the truth. A troll would not have bothered with answering any. Maybe you're the one whose intentions aren't quite so noble.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:18 PM   #50
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

You still haven't answered any question about why you would think that members of the weight gain community would or would not be religious. Having read through your posts in this thread, I still find no clear response, only arguments about the actual definition of "agnosticism" or what "religious" really means.

Now you claim that everything is explained in earlier posts when, in fact, you have talked much and said very little.