Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Lounge

Old 12-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #26
Cosmic~Wombat

Cosmic~Wombat can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrueFA View Post
Cool pics everyone, here is one from the Rebel 300D...

Dave
Oh man..The cat and photo is beautiful! WOW
Old 12-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #27
Cosmic~Wombat

What makes this great is that we can all see others photos and get ideas. I am a sucker for Cats, Dogs, Sunsets and ANYTHING REFLECTION!!!

I know I am new here but I thank you all for the nice welcome.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:51 PM   #28
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Beautiful shots, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
For the auto power-off, there's an "off" setting in the tools menu. You can also set it to be 15, 8, 4, 2, or 1 minutes or 30 seconds. Page 95 of the manual, if you've still got it handy. If you're doing remote shots, I would think 15 minutes should be good enough...then no more flushed face shots. :-)
Thank you! I must have missed that. You just made my life easier lol.

Well bummer. I think Amazon must have figured out the price difference. I just went into my back orders, and I paid $17.94 for the RC-1 remote but now at the same link they're charging $27.99. It's not listed in two different places any more either.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...712858-3099050
Sorry about that.
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:56 PM   #29
ATrueFA

ATrueFA has super-sized repATrueFA has super-sized repATrueFA has super-sized repATrueFA has super-sized rep

I've got the RC-1 remote also for my 300D, I think that remote works on pretty much all Digital Rebel cameras... The ac adapter comes in handy also for doing hours of tripod pics (like for selling stuff on Fleabay). My 300D also lets you adjust or shut off the auto off feature..

Dave
ATrueFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:06 PM   #30
Cat
Gone baby gone

Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
Thank you! I must have missed that. You just made my life easier lol.

Well bummer. I think Amazon must have figured out the price difference.
Darn! Well, I'll keep an eye out for the cheaper price.
I just tried the other Canon remotes with the XTI, no luck.

Happy to help with the auto shut-off. Now, if we can just figure out how to get the preview to work! :-)
Old 12-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #31
Cat
Gone baby gone

Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Cat has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

If any of you are into making a little extra moola, you can try selling your photos at Istockphoto. This is a link to my portfolio on there.
I think ~serious~ photographers can make much more money than someone like me who only uploads photos from time to time. Also, the more downloads you sell, the more your commission per photo download becomes.
I've only sold about $150 on here over the past year and a half, but for a completely passive way of making money, it's not toooo bad. It's far more fun than anything.
Oh, also for designers who need inexpensive stock photography, Istock is pretty neat. I use it for work a LOT since it's only a few dollars per download. That's especially handy when clients request 5 different "looks" to pick from and only choose one for production.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:20 PM   #32
ATrueFA

ATrueFA has super-sized repATrueFA has super-sized repATrueFA has super-sized repATrueFA has super-sized rep

I had checked into the LCD preview before. Canon DSLR cameras use a pentamirror that selects whether the image goes to the viewfinder or the imaging array it can't do both at once. It defaults to the viewfinder and only switches to the array when the pic is actually taken thats why the viewfinder goes blank for the instant the pic is being taken.
Apparently the pro models (10D, 20D etc) have a mirror lock-up function that can allow LCD preview (at the expense of the viewfinder)

the Xti is a 400d the newer 10mp version of my 6.3mp 300D and they are functionally very similar. I'd love to upgrade to one but just can't justify it as yet...

Dave
ATrueFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:35 PM   #33
Cosmic~Wombat

Quote:
If any of you are into making a little extra moola, you can try selling your photos at Istockphoto. This is a link to my portfolio on there.
I think ~serious~ photographers can make much more money than someone like me who only uploads photos from time to time. Also, the more downloads you sell, the more your commission per photo download becomes.
I've only sold about $150 on here over the past year and a half, but for a completely passive way of making money, it's not toooo bad. It's far more fun than anything.
Oh, also for designers who need inexpensive stock photography, Istock is pretty neat. I use it for work a LOT since it's only a few dollars per download. That's especially handy when clients request 5 different "looks" to pick from and only choose one for production.
We have used istock in the past but have found better options for us in the last few years. Congrats on selling them and here is what we have done in the past.

We go to the local towns take photographs and then offer them for sale to the local magazines and the local chambers. The chambers are quick to lay down a few hundred bucks for a nice photo that makes them look like a town that people would like to visit.

When Cosmic Jans gets home I will get the links to our other stock photography sites that Cat should kick butt with those.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #34
Fairia
Blimpgirl = superheroine

Fairia can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesFairia can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I've taken a few scenic pics and I'm really proud of that are saved in my photo album.

Given a choice between fat and dumb and thin and smart, I would choose the later: because I would be smart enough not to be thin.
Fairia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:44 PM   #35
Cosmic~Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairia View Post
I've taken a few scenic pics and I'm really proud of that are saved in my photo album.
You should have a look at flickr.com it is a yahoo company and it is free (limited space but still impressive) it is a great spot to learn about photography and tricks and about cameras. I know there are other sites but as far as it goes.. flickr tops them from what I have found and nothing is ever deleted

I feel like an ad for them but they rock and do keep us out of trouble and that is a hard thing to do!!!

Blessings all and again.. thank you all for making me feel welcome.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #36
Cosmic~Wombat

Default Everyone come on!!!

In this day and age of "everyone has a digital camera" lets post some photos that we have taken.. share ideas and tips

Old 12-29-2006, 06:39 PM   #37
Kimberleigh
gardening, mostly.

Kimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions communityKimberleigh is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Kimberleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:36 PM   #38
metalheadFA
Setting fire to memories

metalheadFA does more than just post hot picsmetalheadFA does more than just post hot picsmetalheadFA does more than just post hot pics

Im a keen photographer focusing on industrial imagery then juxtaposing it with nature, unfortunatley my camera has been broke for months and all my pics went bye byes with my old computer... poo
I love that shot by Cosmic Wombat though!
metalheadFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:06 PM   #39
liz (di-va)

liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My day job is as a photo editor at a newspaper, so I do like photography--a lot. Have started collectin prints a bit when I can from some of my fav photogs. I'm in between cameras, though, so I'm reading your suggestions with interest.

And Cat -- we use iStock as one of our stock sources quite often! I think it's great you do it; you're right, you *never* know what people will need a photo of, truly, so you might as well put yours up there.
liz (di-va) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:36 AM   #40
Cosmic~Wombat

Default Another pre edit

I have series of this fella hunting that catfish, this is my favorite. Took me about 2 hours of following it around our back yard to get it.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:38 AM   #41
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Oh shoot, Cat! I took the application test and everything, but all of my good photos are 1200x960 so I can't post them I will definitely start taking photos at a higher rez, though. Thanks for posting this!

Quote:
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:42 PM   #42
Donna
wait...what?

Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.Donna has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I took this with my husband's Nikon D80S:

Last edited by Donna; 01-31-2007 at 05:37 AM.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:48 AM   #43
Cosmic~Wombat

Nice.. the D80 is sweet isn't it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnaalicious View Post
I took this with my husband's Nikon D80S:
Old 12-31-2006, 07:45 AM   #44
mango
Mustachio Nut

mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!
Arrow

Here are two of the best photos I took with my little Sony Digital Camera when I was down in Baja California, Mexico this time last year.

These pics were later touched up a little in photoshop.

mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:52 AM   #45
Cosmic~Wombat

Great shots!! What verson of photo shop are you running? We are running CS 8 and are in love with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango View Post
Here are two of the best photos I took with my little Sony Digital Camera when I was down in Baja California, Mexico this time last year.

These pics were later touched up a little in photoshop.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:06 AM   #46
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Just so everyone knows I am lurking on this thread, reading every word, and oogling the pictures. I bought myself an after the holidays present, a Canon PowerShot S3. I was too intimidated by the true D SLRs, maybe one day I'll take the plunge.

Rainy, I have used a Canon EOS with the stabilized lens, wow oh wow. You will love it. Even my pictures were almost good.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:10 AM   #47
mango
Mustachio Nut

mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!mango keeps pushing the rep limit!
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic~Wombat View Post
Great shots!! What verson of photo shop are you running? We are running CS 8 and are in love with it!

CW,

That's the version of photoshop that I also use.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:28 AM   #48
Cosmic~Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPrincess View Post
Just so everyone knows I am lurking on this thread, reading every word, and oogling the pictures. I bought myself an after the holidays present, a Canon PowerShot S3. I was too intimidated by the true D SLRs, maybe one day I'll take the plunge.

Rainy, I have used a Canon EOS with the stabilized lens, wow oh wow. You will love it. Even my pictures were almost good.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread
Oh don't be shy.. I posted mine and my photos are not even so so! Would love to see any photography that anyone has to offer!
Old 12-31-2006, 09:29 AM   #49
Cosmic~Wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango View Post
CW,

That's the version of photoshop that I also use.

I hated the price of the upgrade ugh! It was worth it but man oh man.. I don't even know how much we have invested in Adobe at this point!
Old 12-31-2006, 09:35 AM   #50
mango
Mustachio Nut

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic~Wombat View Post
I hated the price of the upgrade ugh! It was worth it but man oh man.. I don't even know how much we have invested in Adobe at this point!
Hehe... I never paid for virtually any of my software.

Gotta get yourself a hot copy pronto!

Tags
hobby, photography