Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Canned veggies

I am not a fan of canned veggies. Unless it's some nice, crispy whole kernel corn. I like that from a can! And stewed tomatoes (but tomatoes are a fruit.) Oh, and canned button mushrooms have their place.

But green beans? peas? asparagus? nooooo, not for me. Too mushy. Too gray.

Obviously I like fresh, but if not fresh, then it's frozen for me. What about you guys?

Is there a canned veggie fanbase out there?

Confess!

p.s. I've seen them on your plates!!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I'm a canned veggie girl. I like them soft.

I like canned sliced carrots, le seur baby peas (think I spelled that wrong), and Green Giant sweet nibblets... YUM!

I often just throw a little can of peas and carrots together with some butter, salt and pepper and have them as a snack.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Only ones I like are french cut green beans with a little salt and pepper. Mushrooms are good too.

I don't like canned corn, unfortunately.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:48 PM   #4
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

No, too salty and too much like baby food. I like texture not mush. Frozen is the way to good, especially when certain vegetables are out of season. I'm convinced the reason so many people hate veggies is because of the canned ones.
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #5
PhillyFA
Cunning Linguist/Drum Bum

PhillyFA can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesPhillyFA can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesPhillyFA can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

No, I prefer fresh first, if not, then frozen. The canned stuff has an odd taste to it. At least, I think it does. And the difference in color between fresh/frozen and canned is unbelievable.

Stay Bruised, Darlings.
PhillyFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
I'm a canned veggie girl. I like them soft.

I like canned sliced carrots, le seur baby peas (think I spelled that wrong), and Green Giant sweet nibblets... YUM!

I often just throw a little can of peas and carrots together with some butter, salt and pepper and have them as a snack.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AnnMarie again.

And I thought I was the only one who bought le seur baby peas.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:40 PM   #7
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Fresh is like our summer. Its only around for three months. I'm able to get my green leafys, celery, green peppers year round. I tend to buy as much frozen as I can get.

However, nothing beats the shelf life of canned goods. A local grocery chain has special sales where you can buy whole cases of canned veggies for discount prices. I'll stock up (read: buy 3-5 cases) of whole kernel corn, creamed corn, cut beans, cut wax beans, french sliced beans, pintos, reds, navy, ranch, and black beans, sweet baby peas, black-eyed peas, diced carrots (perfect for soups), turnip greens, spinach, new potatoes, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato, cream/mushroom, cream/chicken, cream/celery, and cheddar cheese soups, ramen, dry pasta (all shapes), spaghetti sauce, etc.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:27 AM   #8
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

The problem with canned anything is you end up getting the taste of the can too. And all that metal and solder can't be good for you. But it's OK in a pinch.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:02 AM   #9
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

I mostly eaten fresh and frozen vegetables, but I confess to having a weakness for canned asparagus. I know it is mushy and not at all like the real thing. I adore fresh asparagus every way I have ever had, but I still love the can stuff too.

I also eat the baby peas and little jars of mushrooms. We always have diced tomatoes on hand to throw on some pasta with olive oil.
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
JoyJoy

JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.JoyJoy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I prefer fresh or frozen veggies for the most part, but there are certain types of canned that I've always used. When I was a single mom working 50-60 hours a week, keeping meals as simple as possible was ideal. We ate canned green beans, hominy, (Popeye) spinach, corn, pinto/white/kidney beans (in chili), baked beans, and tomatoes (again, usually for chili). High on my list of "never in a million years" (if not at the very top) is canned peas. I can't do the mushy, pasty texture that comes from the can.

One of my favorite "meals" is simply a small bag of frozen veggies..usually corn, peas, broccolli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts or okra. I recently bought a bag of Green Giant sugar snap peas, and they were wonderful...sweet and crunchy...wonderful!

Last edited by JoyJoy; 01-11-2007 at 10:21 AM.
JoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:16 AM   #11
sweetnnekked
Back From The Dead.

sweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going onsweetnnekked knows EXACTLY what's going on

Yanned creamed corn, yum!! Beets, potatoes if you're in a bind.

- J. Garcia
- R. Hunter
sweetnnekked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie View Post
I mostly eaten fresh and frozen vegetables, but I confess to having a weakness for canned asparagus. I know it is mushy and not at all like the real thing. I adore fresh asparagus every way I have ever had, but I still love the can stuff too.
My mom loved it too. In fact she loved it so much she would drain the liquid and drink it hot with her dinner - like asparagus tea or something.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 01-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

So do you think it has to do with what we are raised with? If our parents served us canned, we like canned now?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #14
panhype
Apréslist

panhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging inpanhype makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:

I also eat the baby peas and little jars of mushrooms. We always have diced tomatoes on hand to throw on some pasta with olive oil.
Now that's funny. Exactly those four i usually have stocked. Not to replace the real, fresh deal. But those leave me options after i have missed the closing times of the shops. And f. ex. on omelettes canned asparagus, baby peas or mushrooms do taste fine.

With the canned tomatoes it's another story, at least here where they are sold as 'Pealed Tomatoes'. Now friends of mine who are far more advanced cooks compared to me (although i take cooking quite serious as well) are telling that the canned/pealed tomatoes do deliver better taste than their fresh counterparts, simply because the manufacturers are using better quality tomatoes in the first place. And i'd guess that's true.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

Fresh or frozen, unless it's tomatoes or greens. I like the texture of canned greens better than fresh or frozen. Except spinach. But turnip, kale, collard, mustard... all better to me canned than fresh. And a few other exceptions. Canned "Ranch Style" beans and canned black eyed peas. Oh, and canned sweet potatoes. I think they are less stringy than the fresh ones.

I do buy and serve other canned veggies because Dear Husband likes them though. The Le Seur peas with mushrooms and onions, baked beans, cream style corn, French style sliced green beans.

Tracy
Old 01-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think that could be true because there are only a handful of vegetables that I prefer fresh too.

I LOOOVVEE fresh black eye peas with salt pork and some bacon grease. I love butter beans and fresh northern and of course red beans *pinto to you yanks*. But they all have to have salt pork in them with some bacon grease.

I hate HATE frozen green beans. I don't like them crunchy. I can eat corn anyway. My preference is covered with garlic butter and grilled until burned..YUMMERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
So do you think it has to do with what we are raised with? If our parents served us canned, we like canned now?

Last edited by MisticalMisty; 01-11-2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: I forgot my color..OMG..what was I thinking!
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #17
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Just the opposite for me, I was raised with canned veggies. Fresh were there in season, but any other time is was back to the dreaded can. I can't remember the last time I cooked a canned veggie, or bought one.

Quote:
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #18
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:

I'm making Ryan REAL asparagus for the first time in his life tonight. He's been eating canned all these years.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #19
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadeianLinguist View Post
I'm making Ryan REAL asparagus for the first time in his life tonight. He's been eating canned all these years.
I used to hate asparagus until I started eating it fresh. My mom always ate the canned kind, and I couldn't get over the mushy texture and the funky smell. I hope you make him a convert!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:05 PM   #20
Violet_Beauregard

Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Violet_Beauregard has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:

I am not a fan of canned veggies. Unless it's some nice, crispy whole kernel corn. I like that from a can! And stewed tomatoes (but tomatoes are a fruit.) Oh, and canned button mushrooms have their place.

But green beans? peas? asparagus? nooooo, not for me. Too mushy. Too gray.

Obviously I like fresh, but if not fresh, then it's frozen for me. What about you guys?

Is there a canned veggie fanbase out there?

Confess!

p.s. I've seen them on your plates!!

I love canned veggies..... especially corn, green beans, peas, and lima beans.... yummmmooo.... I've been known to open a can of corn, warm the whole thing up and eat the whole thing myself. Heaven!
Violet_Beauregard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #21
kerrypop
Supafly

kerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going on

I'm pretty 'meh' about canned vegetables, with a couple exceptions. Sliced carrots that are cut so that the sides are kind of wavy are delish... flat sliced carrots are bleh. (weird?) ALSO... I like to put canned corn into recipes, especially mexican recipes, or soup. AND I like "mexicorn" which has red and green peppers in it.
kerrypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:53 PM   #22
Tooz
sweet chocolate christ

Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!Tooz keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
le seur baby peas
BEST EVER.

EVER.

I have a little trouble locating them here, though.

I ate them all the time when I lived in Massachusetts.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #23
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Slightly off topic, but are the babyheads mentioned on another thread here at Dim considered a vegetable?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #24
MissToodles
dead peasant

Only if they're pickled
Old 01-11-2007, 07:08 PM   #25
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I love fresh veggies -- but there I keep canned food around for emergencies -- like the end of the month when you run out of food!

However, sometimes I get a craving for cold green beans out of the can with salt and pepper. Weird, I say.
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote