Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Photo Journals: Recipes step-by-step

I thought it would be fun to start a thread that showed some recipes we make - step by step with pictures.

I'll start!

I made stuffed cabbage for the first time. I got the recipe from someone at work - his wife made it and he brought it in for a pot luck and it was sooooo good. Since I'd never made stuffed cabbage before, I did do some googling and saw that there were far more interesting recipes out there. But decided to go with the one he gave me.

Here's the recipe. Note the warning.

Quote:
WARNING: The recipe as given to me is severely lacking in seasoning. So do NOT make this without reading to the end. I wonder if they left some things out of their "old family recipe" so it couldn't be duplicated?

Stuffed Cabbage

1 medium head of cabbage
1 pound ground beef
1 cup cooked rice
garlic powder to taste
1 egg
1 (12 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
water to cover

Place cabbage in large pot over high heat and add water to cover. Boil cabbage for 15 minutes, or until it is pliable and soft. Drain and allow to cool completely. Remove the hard outer vein from the leaves. In a separate large bowl, combine the beef, rice, garlic powder and the egg, mixing well. Place a small amount, about the size of your palm, into the center of a cabbage leaf and fold leaf over, tucking in the sides of the leaf to keep meat mixture inside. Pile up the filled leaves in a large pot, putting the larger leaves on the bottom. Add the tomato juice, vinegar and sugar and enough water to cover. Simmer over medium low heat for about 60 minutes. (keep an eye on them, making sure the bottom of leaves do not burn)

And away we go!

06-Cabbage.jpg
Here is what I thought was a medium cabbage. Based on the sizes at the store, it was medium. But I should have gotten small. This was too big to really fit underwater in my big pot, and I only ended up using half. So, get a SMALL cabbage. (This one was 4.5 lbs).

08-meatmix.jpg
Here is the rice, beef (actually over a pound), egg and garlic powder. You really have to add salt. I have no idea why this recipe didn't have salt (I thought maybe the tomato juice would make it salty). It didn't. I added lots of salt every time I ate it. I can't give you an idea of how much salt to add - but add some. Yeah, I know. I'm not much help.

08-meatmixafter.jpg
Meat mixture after mixing

Now for the rolling...
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

10-roll1.jpg
Here you see the ball of meat placed at the bottom of the cabbage leaf.

11-roll2.jpg
I folded in each side then began to roll it up

12-roll3.jpg
Here it is rolled - shown upside down.

13-roll4.jpg
Flip it over and it makes a nice neat bundle.

14-plateofrolls.jpg
Here's a plateful. This recipe made about 15 or 16 good sized bundles (I used 1-1/3 lbs of meat, not 1 lb.)

Into the pot!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 01-20-2007, 10:51 PM   #3
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

15-potofrolls.jpg
Here they are in the bottom of the pot.

16-potofrolls-sauce.jpg
I've added the liquid. Another recipe adjustment - I put in more tomato juice. Otherwise it would have been awfully watery if I'd added enough water to cover. Next time? I would add even more. I think that 12 oz is a mistake for the tomato juice. I used twice as much juice, and still added plenty of water.

17-finishedonplate.jpg
Here is the finished product! As the meat cooked, it rendered fat into the sauce, and you can see the globules. Not pretty. Next day I skimmed it off the top, once it was cold. But it always looked a little weird.

19-finishedcut.jpg
Here it is cut open.

22-leftovers.jpg
Leftovers in a huge container. This made 3 or 4 meals - and I still put some in the freezer.

Bottom line, even with the issues I had with this recipe it was delicious (once I added salt). I loved the broth, or sauce, or whatever you would call it. It was like a delicious soup. When I heated the stuffed cabbages, I did it in the sauce, and then served it in a big soup bowl, cutting up the cabbage, making it like a yummy beef and cabbage soup.

I think if I make this again with this recipe, I would just make it a soup to begin with.

edited to add: This is one of those dishes that tastes way better the next day.

Last edited by SoVerySoft; 01-20-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
Mia Davina
Your beloved....

Mia Davina can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMia Davina can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesMia Davina can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Its so funny... growing up, I knew these as "pigs in a blanket". Still to this day, When someone says that, I think of these little guys, not mini hot dogs wrapped in pastry.

"Awww... you said I kill 480 of your men. Poor baby! And I'm a woman!"
-Jon Blaze

You need to celebrate your body, no matter what size it is. - Mark Montano

:kiss2: / Mia Davina
Mia Davina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:18 AM   #5
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

One of my favorite cooking sites is Cooking for Engineers, and they do just this. I get too excited to eat something to stop and take pictures.

Your stuffed cabbage looks great, even if I don't eat cabbage!
Old 01-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default Yeah! Stuffed Cabbage

I am making my Great Grandmothers stuffed cabbage recipe today. Very similar to the one shown. The differences:

1 medium onion diced and sautéed in a half of a stick of butter.
salt and pepper in the meat filling
The one cup rice is par-boiled not fully cooked when combined with the meat

I also add about a 1/2 of a cup of the sauce into the meat filling

I bake them in a large roasting pan.

The sauce---- Campbell's tomato soup.. yup, both G Grand, Grand,and Mom all used tomato soup. Diluted only with 1/2 the amount of water. I never went to my Grandmothers house when there weren't cans of tomato soup, along with her own canned vegetables lining the shelves that when down the cellar stairs.

This finished product if served with rye bread, lots of butter!
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 03:50 PM   #7
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPrincess View Post
I am making my Great Grandmothers stuffed cabbage recipe today. Very similar to the one shown. The differences:

1 medium onion diced and sautéed in a half of a stick of butter.
salt and pepper in the meat filling
The one cup rice is par-boiled not fully cooked when combined with the meat

I also add about a 1/2 of a cup of the sauce into the meat filling

I bake them in a large roasting pan.

The sauce---- Campbell's tomato soup.. yup, both G Grand, Grand,and Mom all used tomato soup. Diluted only with 1/2 the amount of water. I never went to my Grandmothers house when there weren't cans of tomato soup, along with her own canned vegetables lining the shelves that when down the cellar stairs.

This finished product if served with rye bread, lots of butter!

Sounds good! Will you be using your new fancy camera to make this the "stuffed cabbage thread"??
Old 01-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Sounds good! Will you be using your new fancy camera to make this the "stuffed cabbage thread"??

Sure but it will have to be the after cooking! Already in the oven.... one more trick is to lightly core the cabbage, fill with water, place in a bowl, add water, cover with plastic, and do the cabbage in the microwave.

They are in the oven, for about an hour!
Old 01-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
EvilPrincess

Default My try

this thread should be the all stuffed cabbage thread!
Old 01-21-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPrincess View Post

this thread should be the all stuffed cabbage thread!
ooooh that's purdy! And in focus! I am impressed on both counts
Old 01-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #11
Brandi
The Emotional Cook

Brandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging inBrandi makes people happy simply by logging in

Another thing you can do SVS, is put some of the sauce on the bottom of a casserole dish...then the meat mixture...then more sauce, the shredded cabbage on top...and the rest of the sauce...
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #12
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Fuzzy's Dutch Oven Taters, Step by Step

Firstly, I prep the bacon (1 pound thick sliced), slice up three onions, and 4 to 6 minced garlic cloves, and cook in the bacon grease.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Re: Taters

Then I peel, and slice five pounds of potatoes... with my KitchenAid mixer of course.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:02 PM   #14
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Then I layer the bacon/onion mixture with the sliced potatoes in a dutch oven.

And then season on top with garlic salt, seasoned salt, steak seasoning and parsley.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #15
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Then I prep the fire: Charcoal in a coffee can

All it takes is four sheets of newspaper and a match. No Lighter fluid!

Old 02-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #16
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Then I add my "secret ingredient"...

Old 02-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #17
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Then cover the dutch oven with coals.

And bake for 45 minutes. Give me some time to grill some chicken. And have another Dr. Pepper.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #18
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

At 45 minutes... I use my lidlifter and I add a pound of shredded cheese (cheddar and mozzerella)

Bake for another five mintues
Old 02-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

And there you have it! (I use the cutting board, so I don't ruin the counter top)

Old 02-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #20
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
And there you have it! (I use the cutting board, so I don't ruin the counter top)

Holy mother of cheesy potatoes..I'm coming over right NOW..lol
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #21
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Okay, I want to eat those in some way... but I don't "do" charcoal and all that silliness, you Mountain Man! How about if I were to cook them in say.... ooooohhhh I don't know....

an OVEN??????????????????

Eesh.

Oh, and give me a substitute for Dr. P as well because I'm not putting that in my food. LOL
Old 02-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #22
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Okay, I want to eat those in some way... but I don't "do" charcoal and all that silliness, you Mountain Man! How about if I were to cook them in say.... ooooohhhh I don't know.... an OVEN?????????????????? Eesh.

Oh, and give me a substitute for Dr. P as well because I'm not putting that in my food. LOL
This is also my entry for the Foodee Challenge, where I posted optional directions for the oven. You could also use Sprite or 7-up.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:46 PM   #23
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
This is also my entry for the Foodee Challenge, where I posted optional directions for the oven. You could also use Sprite or 7-up.
Okay, that's what I'm talking about! I'll go check.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:36 AM   #24
liz (di-va)

liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.

but...what does the Dr. P do for potatoes? I just can't imagine. What does it do to the taste? Can you try to splain?
liz (di-va) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:18 AM   #25
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Well, it is a secret ingredient. I think adds something different, so its more than just super cheesy bacon-y potatoes.