Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #51
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Less sipping, more posting!

lol
(hold on... I'll mind less if I sip too...)
Old 02-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #52
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ahahahahahahaha! If that aint true Cajun behavior, I don't know what is.

And I'm waiting here too, loved your sequence on making that roux.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #53
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

Come on...ya tease!!
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #54
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Heh heh... we're a little rowdy on the Foodee Board tonight, aren't we?
Old 02-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #55
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Well, we now know where the Evil in EvilPrincess comes from.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:51 PM   #56
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Step 9 1/2 - Cook your rice

Step 10 - Add the shrimp and cook every so gently - don't want rubber shrimp!

This is the time I also skim off any excess grease from the sausage.

The shrimp will only take a few minutes- they are done when they curl up and turn pink..... TURN OFF THE HEAT and cover

Step 11 - Can't forget the bread

EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:55 PM   #57
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Step 11 - the finishing touches

With the gumbo off the heat

Add your file to taste, or more to thicken

a little trappy's for zip (or your favorite)

Serves: One (Princess)

I like a little file on top for garnish

Old 02-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #58
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

Holy Presentation Batman!
That's beautiful. Worth the wait!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #59
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Bravo! *clapclapclapclapclap* Yay! Encore!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:09 PM   #60
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Woweeeee. Anticipation...and great reward. That looks amazing. And I admire your liberal use of real butter on that bread.

I am craving gumbo now!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:12 PM   #61
EvilPrincess

<curtsy> Thank you Thank you! <hic>

I think I will need a power washer to clean the kitchen.....

oh and I was wrong...

Serves: About a bajillion people
Old 02-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #62
EvilPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Woweeeee. Anticipation...and great reward. That looks amazing. And I admire your liberal use of real butter on that bread.

I am craving gumbo now!
<giggle> Yeah, I like a little bread with my butter.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:27 PM   #63
jamie
...tickled...

jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!jamie keeps pushing the rep limit!

whew...

Bravo, Princess!
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #64
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Beautiful presentation, Princess! I feel like I need to smoke a cigarette, now.

I'm not one for shrimp, but that looks good enough that I would try it.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:30 PM   #65
liz (di-va)

liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.liz (di-va) has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Go Princess!! *curtain calls*
liz (di-va) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:00 PM   #66
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Okay kids. I can't top EP with her wine and tales, but here is a new soup for me. It's my first time making it, so the journaling and tasting and all was a virgin exploit!

This is a sausage/potato soup that is bastardized off the Olive Garden Tuscana Sausage soup. You can find a real recipe here, but I did it the way I thought I'd like it more. I left out kale (yuck!) quite deliberately. I have a friend who told me about making it, and she uses hot Italian sausage - so that's something you could try.

I used:
1.5 cups half and half
1 lbs italian sausage (not hot or sweet, just regular)
sweet white onion
10 cups of chicken broth (I was told 10, never checked recipe... I see it's 6... that would have worked fine.)
5 medium russet potatoes
3 pieces of bacon
black pepper to taste
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010873.JPG (63.5 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by AnnMarie; 02-26-2007 at 08:25 PM.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:05 PM   #67
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Next up, I peeled and diced the potatoes, added them to the broth in a large soup pot. Cooked on the back burner while preparing other ingredients.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010874.JPG (48.7 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg P1010875.JPG (41.3 KB, 245 views)
Old 02-26-2007, 08:06 PM   #68
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Next up I cooked 3 pieces of bacon, when pretty well cooked I sliced it all up in the pan, continued to cook and prepare the onion (diced up). Added the onion to the bacon pan, cooked it all up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010876.JPG (58.5 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg P1010878.JPG (60.9 KB, 244 views)
Old 02-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #69
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Next I had to squeeze the sausage out of the casings. Squeezing doesn't really work, so I sliced the casing and pulled it off. MUCH better method, glad I solved that problem.

Added the sausage to the pan, chopped it up with a spatula as I was cooking so I got a nice ground sausage, onion and bacon mixtured when all was said and done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010879.JPG (61.8 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg P1010881.JPG (57.6 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg P1010884.JPG (54.4 KB, 244 views)
Old 02-26-2007, 08:13 PM   #70
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Add the frying pan contents to the potatoes (they were just about cooked, but no reason it could all continue together). I left this all cooking for about 30 mins on a low boil to meld the flavors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010885.JPG (43.8 KB, 244 views)
Old 02-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #71
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Last step... add the half and half (they call for heavy cream I think, but I use half and half for everything).

I put the half and half in a separate bowl, added two ladles of hot broth to it and stirred so I didn't curdle the cream. Added it back into the pot and voila!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010886.JPG (56.6 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg P1010887.JPG (45.1 KB, 245 views)

Last edited by AnnMarie; 02-26-2007 at 11:23 PM. Reason: typo on ladle, and I wouldn't be able to sleep
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #72
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

ooooh AM! That looks great!! How did it taste??

I love the sausage...bacon...cream...oh I am so predictable.

I would use less potatoes - I always fish the potatoes out of my soup because they make me too full (since soup is usually eaten before a meal). But this soup looks like it is a meal, so I would leave some in

Thanks for coming on board with a cook-blog!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 02-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #73
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

Seriously, with all of you amazing cooks, I'm having trouble deciding which of you to move in with.
Perhaps I'll just become eccentric and rich, and invite you all to live in a big house with one amazing kitchen reality-show style. "One stove to rule them all..." or some such jazz...
Old 02-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #74
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by out.of.habit View Post
Seriously, with all of you amazing cooks, I'm having trouble deciding which of you to move in with.
Perhaps I'll just become eccentric and rich, and invite you all to live in a big house with one amazing kitchen reality-show style. "One stove to rule them all..." or some such jazz...
Don't pick me. My house is a mess. But I'll meet you halfway at a restaurant!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #75
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
ooooh AM! That looks great!! How did it taste??

I love the sausage...bacon...cream...oh I am so predictable.

I would use less potatoes - I always fish the potatoes out of my soup because they make me too full (since soup is usually eaten before a meal). But this soup looks like it is a meal, so I would leave some in

Thanks for coming on board with a cook-blog!
Blasphemer!!! LOL

SOUP IS A MEAL!!! Especially soups like this. I LOVE soup, it's wonderful, a meal in a bowl.

I enjoyed this, yeah - it's quite good. I can't quite tell if I'm totally on board with the sausage. I like to be able to eat a couple of bowls, and the sausage is sort of making me not want too much more tonight. I am trying to figure out if I could make it with chicken, and then I think I'd put in corn... and well, we're at whole different soup now!! LOL