Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 02-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default $25,000 "Meal of a Lifetime" in Bangkok

I couldn't resist following the link to this story:

$25,000 "Meal of a Lifetime"

I think I prefer David Drake's for under $100.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Just read that. It's crazy, isn't it?

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

"What are truffles?"

"Mushrooms."

"Then why the hell are they so expensive?"

"They grow under rotting trees and are dug up by very dirty dogs."

"Oh."
Old 02-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
EvilPrincess

EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!EvilPrincess has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefs in Bangkok Prepare $25,000 Meal

live Brittany lobsters from France
SVS,

Tell the truth, they had you at the lobster
EvilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
I couldn't resist following the link to this story:

$25,000 "Meal of a Lifetime"

I think I prefer David Drake's for under $100.
And here I am craving some biscuits from Popeyes
Old 02-10-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPrincess View Post
SVS,

Tell the truth, they had you at the lobster
Hush, you! (so true!)

Nice license plate
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
Old 02-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #7
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

So, do they get fries with that?
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #8
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
And here I am craving some biscuits from Popeyes
I LOVE Popeye's! I love the spicy chicken especially.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
Happy FA
Loving Lovely Large Lady

Happy FA has super-sized repHappy FA has super-sized repHappy FA has super-sized repHappy FA has super-sized rep
Default Art Buchwald rides again

One of my all time favorite columns was an Art Buchwald column he wrote after Craig Claiborne and Pierre Franey ate a meal like that which 30 or more years ago was something like $15000. Art's meal was a salami and egg meal he made in which he first put the salami into a dish until the smoke and grease was so thick that he couldn't see and then he put in the eggs and sopped up the grease with some bread as he ate it over the sink. I kept that column in tattered form for years because I knew that it would bring me to laugh induced tears everytime.

If someone could find that great Buchwald column I'd be indebted to them... for something more than a fried chicken dinner, and perhaps less than a $25,000 dinner.
Happy FA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #10
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy FA View Post
If someone could find that great Buchwald column I'd be indebted to them... for something more than a fried chicken dinner, and perhaps less than a $25,000 dinner.
OK, I did some searching, in various ways, and nothing promising came up. Perhaps it is in one of his books? I checked archives of his columns and they only go back so far (at least online, without joining the site I was checking).

Do I get a small snack for my efforts?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #11
fatlane
Starting Arvist

fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!fatlane has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Those people go to hell. I'm sorry. They do. That's insane.

If you want real good eating, just find somebody's grandma who's cookin' up a storm. GO THERE. Money can't buy cookies made with love.

Just remember that acceptance is 71.4% of size acceptance.
fatlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #12
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My most expensive meal was $9,000. I tricked my mom into giving up her house mortgage for it. It consisted of kinda burnt scallops, corn and a cracker.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #13
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclear View Post
My most expensive meal was $9,000. I tricked my mom into giving up her house mortgage for it. It consisted of kinda burnt scallops, corn and a cracker.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:09 PM   #14
mossystate
flicks a booger on conrad

mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.mossystate has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
But...

was it artfully displayed?
mossystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #15
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossystate View Post
But...

was it artfully displayed?
Yes it was. They had nice decorations in the place too, felt paintings, posters, a black light and a print by Norman Rockwell. Still, they were burning WAY too much patchouli and the guy had a damn pit bull that was growling and making us nervous.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #16
herin
wait...what?

herin never has a post go unnoticedherin never has a post go unnoticedherin never has a post go unnoticedherin never has a post go unnoticedherin never has a post go unnoticedherin never has a post go unnoticedherin never has a post go unnoticed

That is one hack of a lot of money. And here I am eating ramen noodles and veggies :P
Old 02-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #17
Happy FA
Loving Lovely Large Lady

Happy FA has super-sized repHappy FA has super-sized repHappy FA has super-sized repHappy FA has super-sized rep
Default Mea Culpa and Aha

It turns out that I was wrong, it wasn't Art Buchwald.. but Russell Baker... not sure how I messed that up, but here is the link to the piece. I guffawed a few times during it...

http://studentweb.hunter.cuny.edu/~m...csandbeans.htm

Enjoy
Old 02-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #18
Santaclear
User

Quote:
You mean my mom's mortgage? I got her to cash it in so as to help pay for the meal, fibbed a little and said it was an investment...well it WAS sort of an investment....for our bellies!

My mom got to take the cracker home but she said he was terrible.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:20 PM   #19
Santaclear
User

That's a great link, HappyFA! I started laughing about a quarter of the way into it. Good thing he had all the Gilbey's gin on hand, otherwise he probably wouldn't have made it through.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:38 AM   #20
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
You mean my mom's mortgage? I got her to cash it in so as to help pay for the meal, fibbed a little and said it was an investment...well it WAS sort of an investment....for our bellies!

My mom got to take the cracker home but she said he was terrible.
Santa, that's what mothers are for. No sacrifice is too great for her baby
Old 02-11-2007, 12:43 AM   #21
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy FA View Post
It turns out that I was wrong, it wasn't Art Buchwald.. but Russell Baker... not sure how I messed that up, but here is the link to the piece. I guffawed a few times during it...

http://studentweb.hunter.cuny.edu/~m...csandbeans.htm

Enjoy
Great link! I think my snack should be roast goose in honor of the chase you sent me on for a Buchwald article
Old 02-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #22
Happy FA
Loving Lovely Large Lady

Quote:
Great link! I think my snack should be roast goose in honor of the chase you sent me on for a Buchwald article
*said with attitude*

Girl, here on the Foodee board we do things with style... for your wild goose chase you don't get a whole roast goose, but you do get the dish of your desires with foie gras...