Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board > Weight Gain

Old 02-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
marlowegarp
I wanna meet that dad

marlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging in
Default Organic Feeding (warning, may kill appetite)

Hey, all:

Recently, I went to a speech here in Portland about genetically modified food. Upwards of 70% of all corn, soy and other crops in the US, (slightly less in Canada) are genetically modified. There's some info on nwrage.org if anyone is interested. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any info or experiences with feeding or gaining with organic (or at least non-GMO) food. Personally I love to (over) eat, but this is scary stuff.
marlowegarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Blackbean
Hare Club For Men Member

Blackbean can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBlackbean can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBlackbean can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I feed myself organic daily, though I'm not purist, too much $$$...
Old 02-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
love dubh
douchebag reform school

love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!love dubh has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I try to eat organic, or at the least, local produce. It *is* expensive to eat either way, which is unfortunate.

Sometimes I like that idea of that tax on "bad foods," because those taxes were meant to subsidize fruits and vegetables, making them more affordable and accessible, and yes, make them more preferable to processed junk. But, that's just me.

I want bell peppers NOT to cost 1.50 a pop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stewart
Yes, in the Brownback family we teach that boys have a god stick and girls have a shame cave.
Manny: yeah but i could be patient zero to a rabies epidemic
Manny: rabies is as close to zombification as we can get

Last edited by love dubh; 02-14-2007 at 07:38 PM.
love dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
herin
wait...what?

herin never has a post go unnoticedherin never has a post go unnoticedherin never has a post go unnoticedherin never has a post go unnoticedherin never has a post go unnoticedherin never has a post go unnoticedherin never has a post go unnoticed

I would love to eat more organicly grown food! I do buy all my fruit and fresh vegetables from an organic fruit stand. Sometimes with me however, it's about quantity not quality.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
Totmacher

Totmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going on
Cool

What's so scary about it? I know that Genetically modifying stuff allows you to make organisms who's genetic makeup is biologically very very unlikely, but I've never once heard of a case where consuming said organisms alters your genetic makeup.

[edit]
To stay on topic I have, on occaision, fed a girl a pint of Ben & Jerry's. That's pretty much my experience with organic feeding, though.
[/edit]
Totmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
kerrypop
Supafly

kerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going on

Hmm, I'm not so much against genetically modified foods either. I think some of the things that are commonly done are weird ... pig genes in tomatoes for example... but some of them are pretty cool. Oregon State recently developed purpley/blue tomatoes that have all of the antioxidant properties of blueberries. They're supposedly way healthier, and taste awesome. (and not blueberry-ey)

Who DOESN'T want more purple foods?

BUT, to be fair, this is coming from someone who once bought something called "grapples" which were apples that had grape flavoring (and corn syrup) injected into them.

I kind of liked them...
kerrypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Fuzzy Necromancer

Fuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging inFuzzy Necromancer makes people happy simply by logging in

"Organic" food is food with a label saying "organic". The "free range" chickens only spend one week of their lives with the door of their small coops open to the outside, and during that time they do not venture there because they are afraid of daylight due to conditioning. Organic beef cattle are still force-fed a mixture heavy with corn and other things that they are not designed biologically to ingest.

Organic is a misnomer, a myth, a farce. Only local foods are pure, and every working farmer in america is made a blood sacrifice to the Corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile in thighville View Post
all we ask is that those without fetishes respect the notion that the vast majority of fetish-havers know how to reconcile their kink with the dangers of reality just as you would assume your next door neighbor is not a pedophile.
Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine.
Fuzzy Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
squurp

squurp does more than just post hot picssquurp does more than just post hot picssquurp does more than just post hot picssquurp does more than just post hot pics

Genetically modified stuff is bad.

Anyway, I eat alot of organic, and generally I like it alot better. It is more exensive, but it certainly alot better.
squurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
Blackbean
Hare Club For Men Member

Blackbean can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBlackbean can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesBlackbean can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Necromancer View Post
"Organic" food is food with a label saying "organic". The "free range" chickens only spend one week of their lives with the door of their small coops open to the outside, and during that time they do not venture there because they are afraid of daylight due to conditioning. Organic beef cattle are still force-fed a mixture heavy with corn and other things that they are not designed biologically to ingest.

Organic is a misnomer, a myth, a farce. Only local foods are pure, and every working farmer in america is made a blood sacrifice to the Corn.
There is an Organic standard for foods listed as such (unlike natural etc.) so itís not at all mythical.
I'm not all that concerned with free-range farming I don't eat animals; organic milk does taste better though.
Local foods are not particularly pure it depends on the farmer & farm & in addition nothing is 100% pure the world is a cesspool, but ya do what you can do, that or roll over & die...
Old 02-15-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

This nonprofit group called Organic Consumer has been calling my house over and over trying to get me to make a donation to their cause. I don't know, these folks are trying to do something political to make sure organic products are made more widely available or not limited by profiteering big business or whatever it is these folks are trying to do. I'm out all day trying to stay a step ahead of my debts so I'm never around to dig into their bag to find out more but if anyone is intersted in checking it out the number that appears on my caller id is 402-742-5993. I already have access to organic products and see more and more creeping up every day. It seems to me demand for organic products is forcing big food conglomerates to sit up and pay attention and get their suppliers to commit to organic farming so I'm not sure if this Organic Consumer agency is just a money scam for a cause that's already working itself via the consumer but it's worth a look if anyone is into that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlowegarp View Post
Hey, all:

Recently, I went to a speech here in Portland about genetically modified food. Upwards of 70% of all corn, soy and other crops in the US, (slightly less in Canada) are genetically modified. There's some info on nwrage.org if anyone is interested. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any info or experiences with feeding or gaining with organic (or at least non-GMO) food. Personally I love to (over) eat, but this is scary stuff.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #11
Totmacher

Totmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going on
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Necromancer View Post
...*SNIP*...

Funny you should mention that. A farm who's organic produce grosses less than a certian amount, like a local family farm, is exempt from the organic standard in the US.
Totmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #12
HotBBWnKC
I Just Wanna Live!

HotBBWnKC can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesHotBBWnKC can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlowegarp View Post
Hey, all:

There is no reason why anyone who consumed large amounts of organic food could not gain or at least keep a nice curvy figure. Organic products do not mean they are low in fat. I began researching organic foods a few years ago when I wrote a paper on RBGH. Not everything labeled "organic" is truly organic, so beware just like anything else you purchase. I eat a large amount of organic food/drink and I must say I am nice and round....

I have some articles and links to information about corn, rbgh, icky pizza hut pizza and other things that you might be interested in. If you are interested in reading them, just mesage me.

:kiss2:
They say Freak, when you are singled out. The red, well it filters through.

HotBBWnKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #13
Scott M

Scott M can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesScott M can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by squurp View Post
Genetically modified stuff is bad.

Anyway, I eat alot of organic, and generally I like it alot better. It is more exensive, but it certainly alot better.
I'll buy organic if it's readily and cheaply available, because it's likely to have les unhealthy ingredients, but your statement that GM foods are bad is unfounded. A clearer understanding of genetics clears away any misgivings about genetically modified produce.

GM foods are possible because every living organism on the planet is related to every other organism: we're all cousins(you, me, your pets, the grass, we're all related). We're all made out of the same basic genetic building blocks, and it's reasonably easy to copy/paste parts of one organism into the genetic sequence of another. A poster above marvelled that the tomatos modified with blueberry chromosomes didn't taste like blueberries. She's simply thinking on the the wrong scale: it's not a case of cross-breeding two plants and making a hybrid plant that shares traits from both parents. We could use traditional husbandry to modify the genes of tomatos(that's how we've been growing them for centuries: we select traits we like and we breed for those triats). What we're able to do now is find favorable traits in other foods, like blueberries, and find the portion of the blueberry's genome that programs for antioxident production, and insert it into the tomato's genome. We can skip the tedious and time-consuming conventional breeding program by making use of instances where nature has already developed a solution in another cousin species.

It's like taking a part off of a neighbors car and installing it on your own vehicle. It's still your car, but it now has another part that, if it's installed correctly, will improve your car's performance.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 AM   #14
OutaTowner

OutaTowner has said some nice things

Extremely well said stuff, Scott. G.M. foods should not necessarily be a problem, especially when people look past the "Frankenstein" appearance.

But problems do come into play with non-organic foods however in definitely a few cases. One being when animals get pumped up on all these drugs and antibiotics. The fat soluble drugs tend to be ones that have the highest risk, I guess, to be the ones that we will then ingest when we eat the animal products. The other problem is then with a lot of the fruit in grocery stores. Often times the fruit will be picked before its ripe (and before and get finish making all the beautiful [have no idea why I decided to call it beautiful] health benefits). Then when its packed into a truck, the cargo hold part of it will be filled with a gas that has a particular fruit hormone that causes the fruit to "ripen" extremely rapidly. This allows the fruits to be able to gain a bright colorful, and appetizing exterior (even if the interior wouldn't match it).

And I must say I agree with Kerrypop! Who doesn't want purple food!?!?!?!?!
OutaTowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:07 AM   #15
XGuy

XGuy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesXGuy can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

I'm all for genetic engineering... except the other day I got a piece of corn that had 3 ears, yukkk!
XGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:25 AM   #16
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

For a long time I thought I was unable to eat eggs. I love eggs, but after a few bites I suddenly got this urge to throw up. Sometimes I get this when eating things with cheese, having ice cream and other random foods. A person suggested trying organic eggs to see if maybe it's the hormones, antibiotics or whatever it is they treat the animals with and sure enough, with organic eggs I have no problems.

Anything can be dengerous. People drop dead from peanut oil, some are allergic to walnuts, etc. My dad and I can't eat red apples and I can't tolerate potatoes. We take for granted that if we tinker around with stuff to make it better it's not going to hurt anybody but it can. Not a widespread issue but it still bothers me that people can just screw around with something and sell it to the consumer without saying anything.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

@~;~~
Old 02-16-2007, 06:18 AM   #17
Canadian
Diamonds do you justice.

Canadian is a member of the 500 clubCanadian is a member of the 500 clubCanadian is a member of the 500 clubCanadian is a member of the 500 clubCanadian is a member of the 500 clubCanadian is a member of the 500 club

Hate to say it, but "organic" is a bit of a scam, unfortunately. I had a big talk about it with a friend of mine who is an organic chemistry grad student. Some of the stuff he told me just blew my mind.

Let's take organic beef, for example. What makes the beef organic is the "organic cattle feed" that it eats.

But did you know that if the farmer can produce evidence that he went to two places and was unable to obtain organic feed, he can use regular feed and the beef will still be certified "organic"? The idea for this would be if you suddenly lose your source for regular organic feed, you have to be pretty quick to find a new source... the cattle have to eat!

But this rule is abused. The farmer goes to neighbour #1, and then neighbour #2, and no surprise, can't get organic feed. Usually neighbour #1 and neighbour #2 have their own little herd of "organic cattle" as well.

And as long as they don't blatantly abuse this loophole, they can use it very, very often.

And don't even get me started on free range chickens and hogs. That's another scam right there.

So be smart! If you're going to be paying more for something, know why!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #18
kerrypop
Supafly

kerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott M View Post
I'll buy organic if it's readily and cheaply available, because it's likely to have les unhealthy ingredients, but your statement that GM foods are bad is unfounded. A clearer understanding of genetics clears away any misgivings about genetically modified produce.

GM foods are possible because every living organism on the planet is related to every other organism: we're all cousins(you, me, your pets, the grass, we're all related). We're all made out of the same basic genetic building blocks, and it's reasonably easy to copy/paste parts of one organism into the genetic sequence of another. A poster above marvelled that the tomatos modified with blueberry chromosomes didn't taste like blueberries. She's simply thinking on the the wrong scale: it's not a case of cross-breeding two plants and making a hybrid plant that shares traits from both parents. We could use traditional husbandry to modify the genes of tomatos(that's how we've been growing them for centuries: we select traits we like and we breed for those triats). What we're able to do now is find favorable traits in other foods, like blueberries, and find the portion of the blueberry's genome that programs for antioxident production, and insert it into the tomato's genome. We can skip the tedious and time-consuming conventional breeding program by making use of instances where nature has already developed a solution in another cousin species.

It's like taking a part off of a neighbors car and installing it on your own vehicle. It's still your car, but it now has another part that, if it's installed correctly, will improve your car's performance.

Yeah... so, I understand genetic modification. Lots of science classes at uni lerned me smart! I'm not thinking on the wrong scale. I mentioned pig genes in tomatoes. I clearly wasn't talking about cross-breeding.

...unless you can get pigs and tomatoes to get it on?
*cues marvin gaye*

Last edited by kerrypop; 02-16-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #19
Accept
True Metal FA

Accept does more than just post hot picsAccept does more than just post hot picsAccept does more than just post hot pics

Accept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:09 AM   #20
kerrypop
Supafly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
For a long time I thought I was unable to eat eggs. I love eggs, but after a few bites I suddenly got this urge to throw up. Sometimes I get this when eating things with cheese, having ice cream and other random foods. A person suggested trying organic eggs to see if maybe it's the hormones, antibiotics or whatever it is they treat the animals with and sure enough, with organic eggs I have no problems.

Anything can be dengerous. People drop dead from peanut oil, some are allergic to walnuts, etc. My dad and I can't eat red apples and I can't tolerate potatoes. We take for granted that if we tinker around with stuff to make it better it's not going to hurt anybody but it can. Not a widespread issue but it still bothers me that people can just screw around with something and sell it to the consumer without saying anything.

You can't tolerate potatoes? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #21
calauria
La Negra Hermosa

calauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging incalauria makes people happy simply by logging in

I personally believe that all the crap they are putting in food is destroying us. The gov. want us to eat healthy, but come to think about it, are we really eating healthy by eating foods that have been modified? Maybe years from now they will find out that this genetically modified food causes cancer, alheizmer's? What they put in chickens to blow them up, maybe it blows us up, too?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #22
kerrypop
Supafly

As some people have said before, the real issue of not eating organic is the animal one: hormones and antibiotics. I think the biggest problem is the antibiotics. Fewer and fewer antibiotics are working, as mass overuse of antibiotics has set the stage for bacteria to develop resistance. (scary!) But with all of the loopholes that are under the organic title, who knows what we're really eating when it comes down to it? I suppose it is possible that GM plants could cause cancer... maybe. I am not studied up enough on my human biology to know how the molecular structure of the food we eat translates to our bodies, so I'm not going to deny the possibility, although it seems highly improbable.

I think a bigger worry.. (sad to say, because i love it) Is fast food. I would venture to say that there are people in this world (not you persay) that go on tyrades against GM foods, and 10 minutes later head on over to the drive thru. GM tomatoes... or a McChicken? It just doesn't seem logical to me to go on about a food that could be dangerous, when there are dangerous foods on nearly every street corner. I guess the issue then is "well, I have the choice to buy fast food, but if I'm in the grocery store and unaware of my choices, thats not right" and I would agree.

I guess my passions just lie elsewhere.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #23
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrypop View Post
You can't tolerate potatoes? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
I am so sorry for your loss.
Thank you. I miss potatos.

@~;~~
Old 02-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #24
OutaTowner

OutaTowner has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
My dad and I can't eat red apples.
Ya, I can't eat many apples either, especially so with red ones though.
OutaTowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:49 PM   #25
dan

dan has super-sized repdan has super-sized repdan has super-sized repdan has super-sized repdan has super-sized rep

It really doesn't matter all too much to myself, protein=amino acids,and sugar C6H12O6,or a tri glyceride=fat our cells will absorb them pretty much the same whether organic or not,except I do not like additional hormones,or any antibiotics. Some of the organic foods are from countries that use very hardcore USDA non-approved pesticides,and grow in biological cesspools. Of course this is a generalization.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote