Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Weight Board > Weight Gain

Old 02-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #26
HotBBWnKC
I Just Wanna Live!

HotBBWnKC can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesHotBBWnKC can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

From the makers of Agent Orange, Monsanto Co. Would you like some potatoes with that?

http://www.gmfreecymru.org/pivotal_p...eedingrats.htm

:kiss2:
They say Freak, when you are singled out. The red, well it filters through.

HotBBWnKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #27
fatgirl33
Just doodlin'

fatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 club

The biggest change we found in terms of looking into what goes into our food was switching from regular cow's milk to organic. The taste is a lot different.

I read a scientific journal that found a link between (among other things) the hormones in cows milk (as well as antibiotics) that resulted in young girls going through puberty earlier in life. (Don't get me started on water quality...) The bottom line is that the organic milk just TASTES better, like milk used to taste when I was a kid.

Unfortunately, the real down side of GM food (other than the idea that, over decades of consumption, it might cause cancer) is that it's all about economics - the durability and saleability of food - rather than the taste, healthiness or quality of the goods.

Someone tried to justify the need for growing GM food by suggesting that they could grow enough food to feed the WORLD... only there's enough food right now to feed the whole world and then some, the only problem is in distribution (and politics, of course).

And I still don't understand the argument about the cost of organic food... When I was little ALL the food was organic (except for the DDT, I guess!). How come so little of it is now? Sigh, funny ol' world, eh?

Brenda
Old 02-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #28
kerrypop
Supafly

kerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going on

OH MAN I can't believe I forgot about this- I learned about it in Chemistry a few years back.

So, there's this organic farmer, doing his thing, farming his corn. A GM corn company moves a little bit down the road from organic farmer. about five years or so after GM company moves in, they ask to have a sample of his corn. The farmer is distrustful and says "no" and the company gets a WARRANT for his corn. Turns out, local bees had polinated organic farmer's corn with the GM pollen. Organic farmer was selling GM corn, as well as infringing on the company's copyright. He got sued, and lost. Company won. Yay Legal system!!
kerrypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 PM   #29
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBBWnKC View Post
From the makers of Agent Orange, Monsanto Co. Would you like some potatoes with that?

http://www.gmfreecymru.org/pivotal_p...eedingrats.htm
I can't eat potatos because my system won't digest them properly. Something happens to my innards and I can't go for three days without a heavy laxative or mineral oil. Doesn't matter what kind or how they're prepared. Not even a baked potato unless I don't mind being in severe discomfort. You would think potatoes to be fairly inert but I can't eat them at all. Apples do the same to me. My dad ate one on a trip to the west coast and had to be taken to the hospital. Immediate intestinal reaction if I eat one and scrubbing them with soap and water makes no difference. I don't know if it's some kind of organic or inorganic connection, it may have nothing to do with it and just be a hereditary thing. All I know is I can't eat them without pain.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:14 PM   #30
HotBBWnKC
I Just Wanna Live!

HotBBWnKC can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesHotBBWnKC can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyBBBW View Post
I can't eat potatos because my system won't digest them properly. Something happens to my innards and I can't go for three days without a heavy laxative or mineral oil. Doesn't matter what kind or how they're prepared. Not even a baked potato unless I don't mind being in severe discomfort. You would think potatoes to be fairly inert but I can't eat them at all. Apples do the same to me. My dad ate one on a trip to the west coast and had to be taken to the hospital. Immediate intestinal reaction if I eat one and scrubbing them with soap and water makes no difference. I don't know if it's some kind of organic or inorganic connection, it may have nothing to do with it and just be a hereditary thing. All I know is I can't eat them without pain.
Wow, I love a good baked potato! I am soooo sorry you can not indulge in them. The link is to a scientific study of GM potatoes and the outcome in rats. It is rather an unsavory outcome.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:38 PM   #31
HotBBWnKC
I Just Wanna Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgirl33 View Post

I read a scientific journal that found a link between (among other things) the hormones in cows milk (as well as antibiotics) that resulted in young girls going through puberty earlier in life.
Monsanto manufactures rBGH, the hormones they inject into cattle called Posilac. They produced agent orange and plenty of other nasty products. rBGH is banned in just about every country but ours, makes ya wonder why that is? I did an indepth paper on rBGH and I found no real reason why it is being used. Milk production has changed very little, which was the basic reasoning behind using the hormone. Milk prices were at an all time high in 2004, 10 years into the use of the hormone.

The consumers have been setup to pay for the farmers overuse of antibiotics due to increased udder infections caused from over production or milk. And you are right, they link the hormone to girls reaching puberty faster as well as increased amounts of insulin or IGF-1 in human blood which increases a persons chances or prostate and breast cancer among other forms.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #32
fatgirl33
Just doodlin'

fatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 clubfatgirl33 is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBBWnKC View Post
And you are right, they link the hormone to girls reaching puberty faster as well as increased amounts of insulin or IGF-1 in human blood which increases a persons chances or prostate and breast cancer among other forms.
Frightening world, isn't it? I'm not sure why this topic is on the Weight Board, but it really makes you wonder how much the government (ie: People watching out for our well-being) is willing to sell us out so that someone else can make a buck somewhere.

Brenda
(Having a delicious organic steak & organic salade tonight!)
Old 02-17-2007, 04:39 PM   #33
TallFatSue
On Timeout

TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!TallFatSue has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calauria View Post
I personally believe that all the crap they are putting in food is destroying us. The gov. want us to eat healthy, but come to think about it, are we really eating healthy by eating foods that have been modified? Maybe years from now they will find out that this genetically modified food causes cancer, alheizmer's? What they put in chickens to blow them up, maybe it blows us up, too?
My engineer husband Art points out that almost everything we eat has been genetically modified in some way, shape or form, long before modern science came along. We humans have tinkered with our food supply since the beginning of time, be it from preferential selection, hybridization, whatever. Genetic modification is nothing new, although the methods are changing. The result is the healthiest foods we humans have ever enjoyed. Yes indeedy, there's plenty of junk to be sure, but it's not really difficult to choose wisely.

On a more personal perspective, we who were born in the 1950s grew up with foods chock full of preservatives, flavor enhancers and other chemicals that might almost be considered hazardous materials nowadays (not that I grew up eating uranium and drinking rocket fuel ). By the time I finished high school, I was probably a walking chemistry set from all those old food additives, but I turned out just fine. Now I'm pushing 50, and my doctor gives me clean bills of health year after year. My parents are doing just fine too, and heaven knows what was in the foods they grew up eating. Foods are definitely better today than half a century or more ago, but methinks the virtues and dangers of organic, genetically modified, processed etc. are overstated.

Which means: I love to eat, and by making informed choices, I can go right ahead and enjoy myself.

PS. My engineer husband also points out that chocolate is one of the most complex chemicals known to man or woman. No wonder chocolate gives me such a buzz! Gee, tonight I think I'll become a walking chemistry set again. Purely scientific research, ya know.

Last edited by TallFatSue; 02-17-2007 at 04:47 PM.
TallFatSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #34
marlowegarp
I wanna meet that dad

marlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging inmarlowegarp makes people happy simply by logging in

This has been quite informative. Given the choice between Certified Organic and local, I tend to go with local. As with everything, I have turned this into a freedom of choice issue. Basically we should be allowed to eat, drink, smoke or inject what we like into our bodies, I just prefer to know what it is first.
marlowegarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #35
Totmacher

Totmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going onTotmacher knows EXACTLY what's going on
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrypop View Post
Yeah... so, I understand genetic modification. Lots of science classes at uni lerned me smart! I'm not thinking on the wrong scale. I mentioned pig genes in tomatoes. I clearly wasn't talking about cross-breeding.

...unless you can get pigs and tomatoes to get it on?
*cues marvin gaye*
What's so bad about putting pig genes in tomatoes? It's pretty difficult (that's an example of understatement, folks) to get oinking tomatoes with cute ears and tails. Chances are you'll just get tomatoes with porcine insulin in 'em or something (assuming that's what you were going for).

Quote:
OH MAN I can't believe I forgot about this- I learned about it in Chemistry a few years back.

So, there's this organic farmer, doing his thing, farming his corn. A GM corn company moves a little bit down the road from organic farmer. about five years or so after GM company moves in, they ask to have a sample of his corn. The farmer is distrustful and says "no" and the company gets a WARRANT for his corn. Turns out, local bees had polinated organic farmer's corn with the GM pollen. Organic farmer was selling GM corn, as well as infringing on the company's copyright. He got sued, and lost. Company won. Yay Legal system!!

This has nothing to do with the factuality of your anecdote, but Bees don't pollinate corn! Corn is a grass. It pollinates by drift. The Tassels open up and release billions of pollen grains into the air and hopes that some of them land on the silk of a nearby, and hopefully genetically disparate, ear on a nearby plant. No flowers, no nectar, and definately no bees.
What you're tlaking about is a very big issue with GM crops and why they won't allow 'em in Italy: Unless you're farming in a bubble chances are some of your crops are going to end up GM just by being exposed to the air and the then people won't buy 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgirl33 View Post
Frightening world, isn't it? I'm not sure why this topic is on the Weight Board, but it really makes you wonder how much the government (ie: People watching out for our well-being) is willing to sell us out so that someone else can make a buck somewhere.
...*SNIP*...
I believe it's because our government is run by people who don't plan on living long enough for it to matter what they do and rich enough that they believe their kids should be able to buy their way out of it.

Last edited by Totmacher; 02-17-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Totmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:52 AM   #36
kerrypop
Supafly

kerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totmacher View Post
What's so bad about putting pig genes in tomatoes? It's pretty difficult (that's an example of understatement, folks) to get oinking tomatoes with cute ears and tails. Chances are you'll just get tomatoes with porcine insulin in 'em or something (assuming that's what you were going for).

This has nothing to do with the factuality of your anecdote, but Bees don't pollinate corn! Corn is a grass. It pollinates by drift. The Tassels open up and release billions of pollen grains into the air and hopes that some of them land on the silk of a nearby, and hopefully genetically disparate, ear on a nearby plant. No flowers, no nectar, and definately no bees.
What you're tlaking about is a very big issue with GM crops and why they won't allow 'em in Italy: Unless you're farming in a bubble chances are some of your crops are going to end up GM just by being exposed to the air and the then people won't buy 'em.

POINT 1: I don't think there's anything wrong with pig-matoes persay. I'm of the pro gm foods persuasion. They use something from pigs that toughens the skin of the tomato, so It's less suceptible to bug attacks.

POINT 2: LOL you totally pwned me. It WAS in HS chem that we read this story in like "chem news" so I probably got some facts wrong *sorry * You're absolutely right though!! I guess bees and pollenating are perma-stuck together in my head. mybad!
Old 02-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #37
lonelyfa
On Timeout

lonelyfa has said some nice things

while they should tell people if the plants have been genetically modifyed. Its not a bad thing. You know if it wasnt for that most people would starve and expect the price of produce to go up 5 fold. Hell people have been crossbreeding plants for thousands of years.

The majority of fruits and vegies you eat if they where in their complete natual state would either would rott before they made it to market, die of dieses or insectsm, Have to many seeds to enjoy
lonelyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:17 PM   #38
squurp

squurp does more than just post hot picssquurp does more than just post hot picssquurp does more than just post hot picssquurp does more than just post hot pics

While Gm foods don't seem to post an a threat, the fact is, most are released on the market are done so with little long term study. Bt corn however, as an example has created several greatly worsened pest probems. It surely doesn't hurt a person to eat it, but our food supply is jeopardized. Also, some people don't tolerate Bt, so, fine for everyone, but that 1%. Well, what about that 1%?

There are other examples of this as well. Gm foods hybridize with wild species, and like feral species introduced, can have far ranging effects, indefinitely in the future.

Until long term, longitudinal study of the effect of a GM product is mandatory, they carry incredible risk to all of our health, and should not be used.
squurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:23 PM   #39
kerrypop
Supafly

Quote:
Originally Posted by squurp View Post
While Gm foods don't seem to post an a threat, the fact is, most are released on the market are done so with little long term study. Bt corn however, as an example has created several greatly worsened pest probems. It surely doesn't hurt a person to eat it, but our food supply is jeopardized. Also, some people don't tolerate Bt, so, fine for everyone, but that 1%. Well, what about that 1%?

There are other examples of this as well. Gm foods hybridize with wild species, and like feral species introduced, can have far ranging effects, indefinitely in the future.

Until long term, longitudinal study of the effect of a GM product is mandatory, they carry incredible risk to all of our health, and should not be used.
Unfortunately, long term testing is a problem. Most foods in our grocery stores today are GM. In order to test all of these foods, the amount of farmland required would be... a lot. It would also be extremely difficult to keep the GM foods from accidentally pollenating other foods.. via wind/bees/whatever (See, I covered my bases this time. ) If acquiring farmland for testing wasn't a problem, the fact that the testing would be fruitless in the monitary sense would be a problem. Tying up that much land for an extended period of time could be expensive, and if the GM foods pass FDA approval, I can understand why producers of GM foods push them out to the public as quickly as possible.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:13 AM   #40
out.of.habit
Fat Lois Returns

out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!out.of.habit has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:

(Not just on foods and whatnot, but this film gets into that a bit. Something about Monsanto and self-destructing seeds after they produce once. Some folks might find this interesting: http://www.thecorporation.com/)

PS: If you do end up watching this, it is graphic and disturbing in parts, and the first half hour is kind of slow...
Old 02-22-2007, 07:44 AM   #41
moonvine
Queen of Contempt

moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!moonvine has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by love dubh View Post
I want bell peppers NOT to cost 1.50 a pop.
They are really cheap if you grow them. And can be organic too if you want.

Though personally I hate bell peppers so I don't care what they cost. I do grow a lot of veggies and even some fruits though.