Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
Geepy
On Timeout

Geepy has said some nice things
Default A Good Place to Share Recipes!

I think this FOODEE BOARD is a great idea.

And what better place to share our favorite recipes with our fellow foodees?
I just added some more photos to my HIGHSCALE Yahoo group and one of the pics was the back cover of a great old underground comic called TALES OF THE FRIDGE. The lead character was FOODEE guy named Global McBlimp and the back cover shows his recipe ideas for making a great Global Burger!
See the pic below.

I will be excited to see what other recipes the members come up with here.

For a couple more photos of Global, look in the "Fatguy Stuff" photo album of my HIGHSCALE yahoo group(URL below).
Geepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default crockpot pot roast

So you take a four to five pound pot roast. Cut slits throughout the roast and stuff with whole cloves of garlic. Sear roast in a heavy pan on all sides which provides better depth of flavor. Add roast along with 3 sliced onions, a bottle of beer, two tablespoons of tomato paste and beef stock until completely submerged in crockpot. Set on low for 12 hours. You will be able to cut it with a spoon. It's a composite of various pot roast recipes and everyone who eats it, loves it.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles
So you take a four to five pound pot roast. Cut slits throughout the roast and stuff with whole cloves of garlic. Sear roast in a heavy pan on all sides which provides better depth of flavor. Add roast along with 3 sliced onions, a bottle of beer, two tablespoons of tomato paste and beef stock until completely submerged in crockpot. Set on low for 12 hours. You will be able to cut it with a spoon. It's a composite of various pot roast recipes and everyone who eats it, loves it.
Any suggestion for a variation on the beer?? I really, really hate the taste of beer, even when it's been cooked up in something.

I'm thinking just some beef stock?
Old 10-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #4
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Kielbasa Soup

*reposted here, originally posted in the What are you Eating? thread on the WB*

This is a completely made up concoction, but I love it and eat it about 2 times a week.

You need:

* 1 can of shelled beans (or pink/light red kidney beans, but I preferred shelled)

* 1 can of diced tomatoes (I use roasted garlic or onion variety, but NOT italian herb or something, NOT the right flavor)

* 1 kielbasa (I use light because I'm not such a fan of the super grease, but it's up to you)

* Cooked rice (I use white, and I cook about 2 cups of the raw rice, so whatever that equals cooked

* 1 large can of chicken broth (48 oz)

* sweet onion

* minced garlic

Combine broth, can of tomatoes, can of beans, pepper, onion powder*, garlic powder* into large soup pot (like a big kettle, it makes a bunch), boil and or simmer while you prepare the rest.

I cut the kielbasa in half down the middle (long way) and then I cut each half into 1/4 inch or so strips. That way they are sort of bite-size half moons in the soup. You can do it whatever way you want. You're going to heat/lightly brown the kielbasa, some diced onion, and minced garlic in a frying pan. You can use as much or as little of them as you'd like, but I usually use about a tablespoon of garlic, and a large diced wedge of onion. When everything is heated, onions are getting wet/translucent, you can stop cooking and add everything to the pot.

When the rice is done, you add that in to the pot as well. I usually add it about half, then a little more and keep stiring until I have a good broth/stuff ratio... again, totally up to you how wet or thick you'd like it.

I usually cook it about 20 more mins (simmer) so the rice can soak up a bit more broth and set all the ingredients together... then eat it!

Hope that makes sense, I've never had to break it all down as I just sort of threw it all in a pan one day and kept doing it since then!
Old 10-04-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

Default Crockpot Chicken Corn Chowder

**recipe is set up around a small crockpot, I've since moved on to a 6qt, and have an ammended recipe if you need it**

I'm more of a dash of this, smidge of that cooker, so give it your best shot. This is just about right:
1 to 1.5 lbs of cubed, skinless, boneless white chicken meat (raw)
1 14ish oz. can of creamed corn
2 cups of frozen corn niblets
5 peeled clean new white potatos , medium sized... into manageable soupy sizes (you know, big enough to see, but sort of takes up a small soup spoon... chunky!)(or Maine, Prince Edward Island - probably NOT russets though, they break down too much in soups over time, you'd end up with very little spud)
2-3 cups of chicken broth (start with 2, add more if you'd like later)
onions(I use only sweet onions), chopped or diced, however many you'd like (I usually use about one full ring, diced up)
some butter, again, use your imagination, maybe 2 tbsps to half a stick-ish
Put everything in the crockp*ot on low, cook for 8-11 hours on low, or until the potatoes are the consistency you'd like... I prefer "able to be mushed with spoon against side of crockpot" style.

About a half hour before you want to eat it, add in 1/2 to 1 cup of half and half, add salt and pepper to taste. That's it!

Let it cool!! I burned my tongue. :P
Old 10-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #6
MissToodles
dead peasant

MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!MissToodles has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'm sure plain beef stock would be fine. Just don't buy swanson's or any typical supermarket brands. They are chemicals and salt. Go purchase some at a natural food store where you know what you're purchasing. As for beer,you can't taste it in the finished product. It's more of a flavor conductor.

Last edited by MissToodles; 10-05-2005 at 10:29 AM.
MissToodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:34 AM   #7
MissToodles
dead peasant

Default Good Turkey Chili

I am the inventor of the recipe. Ground turkey is much cheaper per pound than beef and I had to find some way to make it palatable. I never measure, so for the most part, it's all measured by sight.

ingredients
1 pound ground turkey (not all breast meat!)
2 chipolte in adobo sauce(minced)
1/2 cup brewed strong coffee
28 oz. can pureed tomatos
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp chili powder(or to taste)
2 minced garlic cloves
1 medium sized finely chopped onion
2 tsp. oregano
salt & black pepper to taste

brown meat along with onions in heavy bottomed pot. Drain off excess fat. Add back to pot along with the minced chilpolte, tomatoes, coffee and spices. cover and simmer for an hour.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Burbon Rootbeer Float

1-2 scoops of Vanilla Bean ice cream
2 oz Rootbeer
8 oz Burbon

In a 22 oz iced tea glass put in a shot of Burbon, one to two scoops of vanilla ice cream and fill the rest of the glass with Rootbeer. Mix together and drink. Serves 1

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

Have you hugged a fat girl today?

@~;~~
LillyBBBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:49 AM   #9
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.LillyBBBW has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default The Bitch Slap

1 oz Smirnoff Vodka (blue label)
1 oz Gin
1 oz Everclear
1 oz Light Rum
5 oz Lemonaide
1 oz 7 up

Take Smirnoff Vodka, Gin, Everclear, Light Rum and mix them in a 22 oz gass. Fill with Lemonaide and a Splash of 7 up. Mix with ice and drink. Serves one.

CAREFUL!! It's called a Bitch Slap for a reason.

"...If the only pain you recognize as valid is your own, of course you'll have trouble identifying it when you see it in other people. That's the trouble with narcissism. It makes you really inadequate and boring."

@~;~~
Old 10-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #10
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Default Best Party Punch Ever!! (non alcohol)

1 64-oz bottle white grape juice
1 64-oz bottle cranberry juice cocktail
1 3 liter bottle lemon-lime soda (not 7up or Sprite)
1 8-oz bottle lime juice (ReaLime)

Take all ingredients, mix in a bowl with ice and serve.

@~;~~
Old 10-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #11
MissToodles
dead peasant

At least you can make a drink despite your proclaimed lack of cooking skills.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:59 AM   #12
LillyBBBW
Wig Snatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissToodles
At least you can make a drink despite your proclaimed lack of cooking skills.
Stranger still, I rarely drink at all. I just know how to mix 'em.

@~;~~
Old 10-05-2005, 04:20 PM   #13
BigCutieCindy
Simply Flabulous

BigCutieCindy has super-sized repBigCutieCindy has super-sized repBigCutieCindy has super-sized repBigCutieCindy has super-sized repBigCutieCindy has super-sized rep

I tend to get a little more domestic in the cooler months. Perhaps I might cook me up some of these wonderful dishes.

Thanks all
BigCutieCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:54 PM   #14
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Oh my...

We might have a need to split these threads up into recipe categories.

Pot Roast recipes are nearly as numerous as beef brisket recipes and no two are alike. After I've seared the roast, I'll mix five ounces of soy sauce, one can of Campbell's consomme, 1 tablespoon liquid smoke, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 ( or more ) cloves of minced gaaaaahlic and pour that over the roast.

I put the roast in a roasting pan, put it in the oven uncovered, and then pre-heat the oven to 375 and bake for 25-30 minutes per pound.

At about an half hour before its done, I'll add some taters.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:28 AM   #15
autopaint-1
Manny Moe & Jack Fan Club

autopaint-1 knows EXACTLY what's going onautopaint-1 knows EXACTLY what's going onautopaint-1 knows EXACTLY what's going onautopaint-1 knows EXACTLY what's going onautopaint-1 knows EXACTLY what's going onautopaint-1 knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default Fabulous rib recipe

Bar-B-Q Ribs

Two 3-pound slabs pork short ribs

1 large Dr. Pepper

1 pound brown sugar

Show-Me barbecue sauce

Boil ribs in Dr Pepper and brown sugar for 1½ hours. Let stand in liquid for two hours or until cool. Place ribs on grill to brown for 20 minutes. Baste with barbecue sauce the last 10 minutes of grilling.

Name: Johnnie R. Walker

Source: Cookbook
When the tides of life turn against you and the current upsets your boat, don't waste your tears on what might have been, just lay on your back and float - Edward L Norton, 328 Chauncey Street, Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York
autopaint-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:24 PM   #16
Redhotphatgirl
Summer time summer time

Redhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
Any suggestion for a variation on the beer?? I really, really hate the taste of beer, even when it's been cooked up in something.

AM how about some thing like gingerale?
Redhotphatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 02:26 PM   #17
Redhotphatgirl
Summer time summer time

Redhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging inRedhotphatgirl makes people happy simply by logging in

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopaint-1
Bar-B-Q Ribs

Two 3-pound slabs pork short ribs

1 large Dr. Pepper

1 pound brown sugar

Show-Me barbecue sauce

Boil ribs in Dr Pepper and brown sugar for 1½ hours. Let stand in liquid for two hours or until cool. Place ribs on grill to brown for 20 minutes. Baste with barbecue sauce the last 10 minutes of grilling.

Name: Johnnie R. Walker

Source: Cookbook

You cookem I will eat them dave......drool.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:55 PM   #18
autopaint-1
Manny Moe & Jack Fan Club

autopaint-1 knows EXACTLY what's going onautopaint-1 knows EXACTLY what's going onautopaint-1 knows EXACTLY what's going onautopaint-1 knows EXACTLY what's going onautopaint-1 knows EXACTLY what's going onautopaint-1 knows EXACTLY what's going on
Default You cookem I will eat them dave......drool

Cat, they are spectacular ribs. The meat falls off the bone and with the Show Me sauce you can't do much better. I just received a package of 4 half gallons of sauce. Do I love it or what? More recipes;

http://www.showmenews.com/2004/Taste...24Taste011.asp
When the tides of life turn against you and the current upsets your boat, don't waste your tears on what might have been, just lay on your back and float - Edward L Norton, 328 Chauncey Street, Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York
autopaint-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:02 PM   #19
Redhotphatgirl
Summer time summer time

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopaint-1
Cat, they are spectacular ribs. The meat falls off the bone and with the Show Me sauce you can't do much better. I just received a package of 4 half gallons of sauce. Do I love it or what? More recipes;

http://www.showmenews.com/2004/Taste...24Taste011.asp
omg you are killin me david.....ribs slaw potato salad ...strawberry pie....
Old 10-11-2005, 09:20 PM   #20
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Should we keep recipes in one spot?

Hi folks,

What do you think about keeping recipes in one spot? Would this thread do?
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:36 PM   #21
Pink

Pink has super-sized repPink has super-sized repPink has super-sized repPink has super-sized rep

Spinach and Cheese dip recipe

1 package of cream cheese
one can of condensed milk
2cups shredded montery jack/colby cheese
1/2 package of frozen chopped spinach
1/2 jar of large salsa or 1 jar of med.
salt and pepper to taste
mix together and heat in the oven at 375 for 20-30 minutes
eat with your favorite tortilla chips.
Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #22
Pink

Pink has super-sized repPink has super-sized repPink has super-sized repPink has super-sized rep

Cornflake Bars

Heat one cup corn syrup and one cup of sugar in a saucepan until boiling
Stir continually!
Take off heat and mix in one cup of peanut butter
in a large mixing bowl add 10 cups of cornflakes and pour in the hot mixture.Stir well.
Grease a 13x9 glass pan with butter and spread in the ingredients
Flatten with buttered hands,let cool, and cut into bars.

I LOVE this stuff
Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:52 PM   #23
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Yummy Hot Crab Dip

this is soooo good to make for parties. It disappears!!

HOT CRABMEAT DIP

8 oz cream cheese
1-1/2 cups (7-1/2 oz can) flaked drained crabmeat
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp cream-style horseradish
1/4 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Combine softened cream cheese, crabmeat, onion, milk, horseradish and
seasonings, mixing until well blended. Spoon into 9-inch pie plate or
oven-proof dish; sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Serve as
a dip or a spread with crackers, chips or raw vegetables.
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #24
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

SVS, that looks soooooo good. Too bad I'm the only one in my house who will eat crab. I'll have to make it for the next party I go to.

Here's one of my main dish recipes. Best thing about this dish is how flexible it is. It's really just throwing a bunch of stuff together and it comes out amazingly well. I'm always getting compliments about it, and I've shared the recipe with a lot of people, online and off.

Vickie’s Crazy Curry Recipe
(adapted for the crock pot)

Ingredients:

•8 Boneless skinless chicken thighs
•2 bottles Thai peanut sauce
•Lots of garlic (2+ Tbs minced garlic)
•2-3 Tbs mild curry powder
•1 Tbs garam masala and/or cayenne pepper (optional)
•1 Medium Onion
•1 can diced tomatoes
•Your choices of veggies: Some that I like are potatoes (diced), cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, peas (frozen peas are great tossed in at the end), zucchini (diced)

What you do (it’s so simple):

Brown chicken thighs in olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and continue to cook until chicken is brown and onions are slightly translucent.

Dump into crock pot. Add Thai peanut sauce, curry powder, and tomatoes. Add potatoes and carrots.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours until chicken is tender. Shred it with a fork if it hasn’t come apart already. Add any veggies that cook quickly now (like frozen peas). Once veggies are crisp tender, you’re done. Excellent when served over basmati rice or with Naan (if you know how to make it – I don’t). Feeds a small army – or else one shift’s worth of hungry nurses.

Variations:

•Can be made on the stove in a Dutch oven (and actually I think this is better because you have better control over how “done” the veggies get). Just sauté as usual, then add all ingredients in order of how long they take to cook. Potatoes and carrots first, then zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower. Add frozen peas in the last few minutes of cooking. I simmer it over medium low heat for about an hour and it’s marvelous.
•This can also be made with stew meat and it’s excellent.
•You can also make this vegetarian with tofu, but don’t overcook it.
•If you want it spicier, either add more curry or else some cayenne pepper. Or be brave and add both!
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:17 AM   #25
Gaining Gourmet

Gaining Gourmet has said some nice things

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie

Use wine. The alcohol will unlock the various alcohol-soluble flavor components in the food it is cooked with (should it have any). It will, in essence, make the food taste more like itself.
Gaining Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote