Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 04-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Suze
Too Vanilla For You

Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!
Default "hidden calories" (not a diet post!)

The obvious ones:
junk food
white bread
candy etc.

but what about the food we don't normally consider fattening?
For instance i've heard that ketchup and some types of cereals contains a great amount of sugar.

i'm not intending to gain or loose weight, just curious if anyone have some examples/suggestions
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
kerrypop
Supafly

kerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going on

Top ramen has a BUNCH of calories.

...I love it anyway. (Yay poor college students! )
kerrypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #3
Suze
Too Vanilla For You

Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

ok, popgirl ..what is top ramen?

i'm a college student btw
Old 04-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
kerrypop
Supafly

kerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going onkerrypop knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieQ View Post
ok, popgirl ..what is top ramen?

i'm a college student btw

WHAAAAAAT?! Wow!

Okay... hm. where to start. A photo I suppose!

So, that's what it typically looks like at the store. It costs around 13 cents per package, and is a complete meal. I usually add onions and an egg, to make it kind of egg flower soup-ey. yum. When you cook it it looks kind of like this:

That is a photo of just noodles, no broth. I like it soupy and brothy, but taste is a matter of taste.

I can't believe you've never had ramen! I live in a college town and we actually have a "nice" ramen place.... a japanese-ey restaraunt with like 24 kinds of ramen to choose from. Do you live near Oregon? I'll take you out!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

oh man now i want ramen.

Ketchup most definitely. I periodically cut ALL refined sugar out of my diet (i heard that sugar breaks down the collagen in your skin. leave me alone.) and it's almost impossible if you buy anything that's pre-made. Ketchup is almost all sugar, it seems. All salad dressings, anything canned, even the packaged baked tofu that I love has sugar. It's nuts.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
ZainTheInsane

ZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 clubZainTheInsane is a member of the 500 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxwing View Post
oh man now i want ramen.

Ketchup most definitely. I periodically cut ALL refined sugar out of my diet (i heard that sugar breaks down the collagen in your skin. leave me alone.) and it's almost impossible if you buy anything that's pre-made. Ketchup is almost all sugar, it seems. All salad dressings, anything canned, even the packaged baked tofu that I love has sugar. It's nuts.
"Nuts? Have nuts? Rikiki want nuts"
ZainTheInsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Ramen noodles, and their Korean counterparts with the bits of kimchi, are delicious.

And the FDA says if something is less than 5 calories, manufacturers can list it as 0. That's right; that diet soda has calories. And other bad crap. Drink 100% juice and water, kids.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
Suze
Too Vanilla For You

LOL!!!

'im not from around her pop..we don't have ramen her, at least not where i come from...but i know what noodles is, believe me! and pasta and macaroni and ketchup and all sorts of cheap crap

I think it would cost me more than i could afford to travel overseas though(it's a looong way). Even if i would love to taste some of that ramen.. but thanks for the offer
Old 04-26-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
kerrypop
Supafly

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieQ View Post
LOL!!!

'im not from around her pop..we don't have ramen her, at least not where i come from...but i know what noodles is, believe me! and pasta and macaroni and ketchup and all sorts of cheap crap

I think it would cost me more than i could afford to travel overseas though(it's a looong way). Even if i would love to taste some of that ramen.. but thanks for the offer
Well, if you're ever in the area, the offer stands... or if you want me to send you some, I think I could swing that too!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:34 PM   #10
supersoup
Nice to meet you beanbag.

supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!supersoup keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
oh man now i want ramen.

you can buy baked tofu?

hmmm.
supersoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #11
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoup View Post
you can buy baked tofu?

hmmm.
You can and you MUST!

There are a number of diff brands but they all seem to come in a variety of yumtastic flavors. Actually they have several at Trader Joe's. It's usually two squares in a shrink wrap pack. Slice, put on sammich, eat. Or tear open bag with teeth in the car on the way home from the store, eat.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
TearInYourHand
Mistress Member

TearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions communityTearInYourHand is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoup View Post
you can buy baked tofu?

hmmm.
Yes!! It is sooooo delicious! I am particularly fond of one type (can't remember the brand name) which is Thai peanut sauce flavored! You should definately give it a go!
Old 04-27-2007, 03:48 AM   #13
Sandie_Zitkus
Entrepreneur

Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!Sandie_Zitkus keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've done that too. Only buy sea salt. Iodized salt has sugar in it. I know it's crazy!!!

Quote:
oh man now i want ramen.

Sandie_Zitkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:20 PM   #14
Dr. Feelgood
intellectual nerd

Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.Dr. Feelgood has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie_Zitkus View Post
Iodized salt has sugar in it. I know it's crazy!!!
And like so many crazy things, it's political. Sugar is the most popular food additive in America because it's dirt cheap. It's dirt cheap because the sugar plantations are heavily subsidized by the Fed. And this is so that U.S. sugar can undersell Cuban sugar on the world market and wreck Cuba's economy. So be sure to eat catsup on everything to foil the dastardly Castro and KEEP AMERICA STRONG!
'Bout fo' hundred pound...
-- Dr. Feelgood & the Interns
Dr. Feelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
Red

Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrypop View Post

WHAAAAAAT?! Wow!

Okay... hm. where to start. A photo I suppose!

So, that's what it typically looks like at the store. It costs around 13 cents per package, and is a complete meal. I usually add onions and an egg, to make it kind of egg flower soup-ey. yum. When you cook it it looks kind of like this:

That is a photo of just noodles, no broth. I like it soupy and brothy, but taste is a matter of taste.

I can't believe you've never had ramen! I live in a college town and we actually have a "nice" ramen place.... a japanese-ey restaraunt with like 24 kinds of ramen to choose from. Do you live near Oregon? I'll take you out!

See, now where I come from, those babies are called Supernoodles!

Last edited by Red; 03-21-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #16
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Red, we ate something called "Pot Noodles" over in England, thinking it would be like Cup O' Noodles or Top Ramen. Grossest thing EVER. Is it an acquired taste, or do people actually eat that stuff?

I'm a big fan of Top Ramen but it's just about the only food that I absolutely cannot eat since my WLS. I suppose that's a good thing -- it's horribly bad for you -- but I miss it. Not enough to tolerate the cut glass feeling it gives me in my stomach, though. Ugh.

I think a source of hidden calories for a lot of people are the sauces on things, particularly Chinese food. Even veggies are often coated with a thick, syrupy sauce. Also, salad dressing, though I think it's worth it, given how healthy raw veggies are. Oh, and cream cheese. We probably put way too much on bagels, but who cares? It tastes good!
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #17
Red

Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Red has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
Red, we ate something called "Pot Noodles" over in England, thinking it would be like Cup O' Noodles or Top Ramen. Grossest thing EVER. Is it an acquired taste, or do people actually eat that stuff?

I'm a big fan of Top Ramen but it's just about the only food that I absolutely cannot eat since my WLS. I suppose that's a good thing -- it's horribly bad for you -- but I miss it. Not enough to tolerate the cut glass feeling it gives me in my stomach, though. Ugh.

I think a source of hidden calories for a lot of people are the sauces on things, particularly Chinese food. Even veggies are often coated with a thick, syrupy sauce. Also, salad dressing, though I think it's worth it, given how healthy raw veggies are. Oh, and cream cheese. We probably put way too much on bagels, but who cares? It tastes good!

Oooooh no, pot noodles are evil, yuck yuck yuck, so salty and shrivelled up, gah! Oddly enough though they are very popular, mainly with teenage boys and lorry drivers, but yeah, quite a favourite over here!
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #18
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Did you know that a SMALL pack of Arbys sauce is 50 calories and full of carbs?

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #19
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
Did you know that a SMALL pack of Arbys sauce is 50 calories and full of carbs?
I haven't eaten at Arby's since I was about 7. What's in the sauce? I forget.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I haven't eaten at Arby's since I was about 7. What's in the sauce? I forget.
I found a recipe so you can see
http://www.dininginthailand.com/reci...rbys-sauce.htm
http://robbiehaf.com/Recipes/A/70.htm

I'm aware of it's calories and carbs because my ex-husband was diabetic- we noticed a trend of his sugar getting too high after a roast beef so found out it's nutritional info. from a carb counting book he has

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #21
Suze
Too Vanilla For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrypop View Post
Well, if you're ever in the area, the offer stands... or if you want me to send you some, I think I could swing that too!
great! i will keep that in mind
Old 04-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #22
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I was amazed at how much sugar is put into stuff. Basically if it's pre-prepared, you're going to have sugar. I have a conspiracy theory about sugar. Sugar depletes a hormone in your body that tells you that you've consumed enough calories and when sugar is present in a food, you eat more calories before you feel ful. So the food companies put sugar basically in everything to make you eat more
Spaghetti sauces contain a ton of sugar. you can find a few brands that have no sugar and they tend to taste the best. ( i hate sweet spaghetti sauce) Even seasoned rice vinegar has sugar.
Someone said salad dressings, you will see low fat salad dressings add more sugar to take the flavor place of fats. some salsas even have sugar in them . I kind of think that anything that is lowered in fat has more sugar in it to make up in flavor.
When i quit having processed foods, i went through major sugar shock withdrawals. It took me a week to come down from all the sugar.