Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The WLS Controversy

Old 05-05-2007, 06:55 AM   #1
Hamhock

Hamhock has said some nice things
Post I gotta ask:

Hi guys. Hamhock is back -- at least in part, I'm wondering, what exactly is WLS? If I'm reading the titles, is it some reference to de-fatting torture?
Hamhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
Blackjack
Fupa Troopa

Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.Blackjack has ascended what used to be the highest level.

WLS = weight loss surgery.

And I'm pretty sure that this "de-fatting torture" that you seem to hate has, in fact, helped quite a few people. I know that there's several here.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
SamanthaNY
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamhock View Post
Hi guys. Hamhock is back -- at least in part, I'm wondering, what exactly is WLS? If I'm reading the titles, is it some reference to de-fatting torture?
If you're "back", as you say, and this is your first post as "hamhock", then you were obviously here under another name. What was it?

And while WLS may be torturous to some, it is a medical procedure intended to save lives. And as a tool of last resort, it has done that many times.
SamanthaNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Hamhock

Lightbulb Back

No, I've always been at Dimensions under the user name of Hamhock. But something went wrong some time ago and I have been loked out of the site for over a year. I still have no aces to the CHAT areas.

The system always says No Hotmail accounts!

So this first post of mine isn't really the first first. My earlier posting by now have apparently been droped from the system.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
Hamhock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
WLS = weight loss surgery.

And I'm pretty sure that this "de-fatting torture" that you seem to hate has, in fact, helped quite a few people. I know that there's several here.
There were 212 in-hospital deaths who underwent obesity surgery in 2003.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
SamanthaNY
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!

By 'loked out', do you mean 'banned'? Generally, accounts aren't dropped from the system unless you've... done something bad. Even then, it's tough to get deleted.

Weird. Well maybe a moderator will weigh in (heh!) and enlighten us to what's going on.

Most free email accounts are disallowed in chat because that's what trolls used to use to harrass people. so just use an email that comes with your ISP, or something like that.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
SamanthaNY
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Quote:
So? No one has ever said it wasn't risky and extremely dangerous.

Coincidentally, heart surgery, kidney surgery, lung surgery, plastic surgery, orthopedic surgery. All have associated deaths.

And what's the corresponding number of those who has WLS and didn't die?

If you're gonna use the "people die" argument, we can move right on to banning cars on the road and grounding planes.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

[mod] While WLS isn't something AT ALL that this site advocates, making your first posts about a controversial subject isn't generally the best way to introduce, or re-introduce, as it were, yourself here.

What Sam says here: By 'loked out', do you mean 'banned'? Generally, accounts aren't dropped from the system unless you've... done something bad. Even then, it's tough to get deleted is a very good question and I would like you to answer it, please. [/mod]

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
AnnMarie
✰cuddly and terrifying✰

AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.AnnMarie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I don't know who you are or when you think you've been here, but you can't have a name that previously existed on the boards unless the account was "removed" from the system by Conrad, and I know of only ONE instance of that happening under extreme circumstances, having nothing to do with banning.

If you were banned, you'd not be able to rejoin or post, certainly not under the same name.

So, I don't know about what your past here at the boards was, but I can say with about 99% certainty that you never posted before under this name - it wouldn't be possible. It doesn't matter to me either way... you're new, you're old under a new name, etc. If you were someone banned, then we'll figure it out, if not and you just made a new name after a long absence... whatever.

If you're referring to the old BBS system, that's an entirely different matter.

/mod

Last edited by AnnMarie; 05-05-2007 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:12 PM   #10
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Please cite your source, please. And kindly tell us what risk factors for surgery these souls had before going in for surgery. Did they have preexisting lung disease? Diabetes? Heart disease? Sleep apnea? How experienced were their surgeons? And did they die immediately post-op, or later after re-admission to the hospital?
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #11
Hamhock

Thumbs up reply --

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaNY View Post
By 'loked out', do you mean 'banned'? Generally, accounts aren't dropped from the system unless you've... done something bad. Even then, it's tough to get deleted.

Weird. Well maybe a moderator will weigh in (heh!) and enlighten us to what's going on.

Most free email accounts are disallowed in chat because that's what trolls used to use to harrass people. so just use an email that comes with your ISP, or something like that.
By 'loked', I ment to type locked -- I'm not a good typist. I wasn't (to my knowledge) banned. It was just that for some unknown reason, I was not able to get in anymore. It was possible a sofware issue. My earlier computer was a 2000 MAC. It's eithernet port was destroyed during a lightning storm surge that broke through my protectors. The MAC was up there in years.

But I still do not yet have access to the chat areas.

As for the risks you speak of in regards to WLS, that is why I call it WLT.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Please. Losing weight is easy. All you have to do is eat a baby. Then you'll feel CRAZY guilty and won't be able to eat again for months. Repeat as desired; no surgery necessary.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #13
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadeianLinguist View Post
Please. Losing weight is easy. All you have to do is eat a baby. Then you'll feel CRAZY guilty and won't be able to eat again for months. Repeat as desired; no surgery necessary.
OMG srsly does this work? b/c i'm hella bloated and i wanna get smallur for my boyfrienxd.

what kind of baby u eat?

thx
Old 05-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #14
TheSadeianLinguist
Coin-Operated

TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!TheSadeianLinguist keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxwing View Post
OMG srsly does this work? b/c i'm hella bloated and i wanna get smallur for my boyfrienxd.

what kind of baby u eat?

thx
Srsly!!! NE baby will do; preferuably full term!!!!111oneoneone
Old 05-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #15
Hamhock

Talking Sources --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
Please cite your source, please. And kindly tell us what risk factors for surgery these souls had before going in for surgery. Did they have preexisting lung disease? Diabetes? Heart disease? Sleep apnea? How experienced were their surgeons? And did they die immediately post-op, or later after re-admission to the hospital?

I really was only curious about the meaning of the acronym WLS. Sorry, I ment no offense. My souces about the above remark I cited are:

* Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: Obesity Surgery Complication Rates Higher Over Time. Press Release, July 24, 2006. Retrieved July 24, 2006
* Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Curtin LR, McDowell MA, Tabak CJ, Flegal KM. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999-2004. JAMA 2006; 295:1549-55. PMID 16595758

Hope they help. Looked 'em up when I did the post.

Last edited by Hamhock; 05-05-2007 at 03:30 PM. Reason: duplicated icon
Old 05-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #16
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
I really was only curious about the meaning of the acronym WLS. Sorry, I ment no offense.
Yeah I wonder why we'd find this offensive (bolded for emphasis).

Quote:

Quote:
My souces about the above remark I cited are:

* Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality: Obesity Surgery Complication Rates Higher Over Time. Press Release, July 24, 2006. Retrieved July 24, 2006
* Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Curtin LR, McDowell MA, Tabak CJ, Flegal KM. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, 1999-2004. JAMA 2006; 295:1549-55. PMID 16595758

Hope they help. Looked 'em up when I did the post.
No they don't help. Just because you can Google doesn't mean you actually understand the studies you're quoting. The fact that you didn't ask the questions I asked -- as well as how many people died from obesity complications that same year -- tells me you don't really look at this in any deep kind of way.

Anybody can say "WLS kills". But is that any different than saying "obesity kills"?

The results of this study, a review of 2000 cases since 1992, actually seem to suggest the following:

Conclusions: The risk factors for perioperative death can be separated into patient characteristics and complications. The access method, open versus laparoscopic, was not independently predictive of death, but the operation type, proximal versus long limb, was predictive. The data do not suggest that superobese patients should not undergo surgery, as they are high risk for early death due to their body weight and comorbidities without surgery. Surgery should not be reserved as a desperate last measure for weight loss.

Saying 212 people died in a given year is useless. Looking at a study in context, considering all of the various factors involved, is at least somewhat useful.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #17
SamanthaNY
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

I wonder if Hamhock is familiary with the term "bitten off more than you can chew".

Old 05-05-2007, 08:33 PM   #18
Miss Vickie

Quote:
I wonder if Hamhock is familiary with the term "bitten off more than you can chew".

Apropos given the subject of the thread, yes?
Old 06-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #19
janie

janie has said some nice things

Don't fuel the fire, he's not worth the response.
janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #20
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Listless

This thread has me feeling kinda bloated and gassy. Anyone else here have symptoms like this?

Last edited by Santaclear; 06-09-2007 at 08:37 PM.
Santaclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:29 PM   #21
William
On Timeout

William makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging inWilliam makes people happy simply by logging in

It is one of these

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-quer...d&string=exact

Quote:
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #22
Waxwing
Reckless Hero

Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Waxwing has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Doctors who pretend that Weather-proof Loud Speakers are a cure-all are monsters.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:08 PM   #23
Santaclear
User

Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.Santaclear has ascended what used to be the highest level.

One ham hock per day keeps the doctor away.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #24
Hamhock

Question Bitten

Yes, I am aware of the expression. Are you aware of the meaning of the words "Chat", Conversation", and "Forum"?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #25
Marlayna

Marlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:

Yes, I am aware of the expression. Are you aware of the meaning of the words "Chat", Conversation", and "Forum"?
Hi, it's five years later, how're ya doin? Do you know anyone who has had weight loss surgery?
Marlayna is offline   Reply With Quote