Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The WLS Controversy

Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
Hamhock

Hamhock has said some nice things
Cool Five years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlayna View Post
Hi, it's five years later, how're ya doin? Do you know anyone who has had weight loss surgery?

Hi;

I'm doing fairly ok. Yes it's been 5 years -- hard to believe. Been doing other things. As for knowing someone who actually has undergone WLS, I have only encountered one online.

And as you pointed out -- that was 5 years ago.

Best wishes.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #27
moore2me
Lions don't need to spank

moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!moore2me keeps pushing the rep limit!

Hello Hamhock,

Down in the South, hamhocks are a staple of many recipes - mostly involving greens or beans. The main problems with cured hamhocks are they are very salty and can aggravate high blood pressure. We can substitute hog jowl for hocks if needed (but both are too salty).

But just for your information (if you haven't figured it out already), you have "stumbled" into a whole nest of WLS past and future participants. So, my best advice is similar to Tina's . . . . tread carefully. And an even smarter move would be to dive and come back up in another Forum and try a fresh start under another less controversial subject (like WWII or upcoming US Presidential election).
moore2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #28
Hamhock

Thumbs up Up North

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore2me View Post
Hello Hamhock,

Down in the South, hamhocks are a staple of many recipes - mostly involving greens or beans. The main problems with cured hamhocks are they are very salty and can aggravate high blood pressure. We can substitute hog jowl for hocks if needed (but both are too salty).

But just for your information (if you haven't figured it out already), you have "stumbled" into a whole nest of WLS past and future participants. So, my best advice is similar to Tina's . . . . tread carefully. And an even smarter move would be to dive and come back up in another Forum and try a fresh start under another less controversial subject (like WWII or upcoming US Presidential election).
Up here, Hamhock is the name of a family of characters in a Warner Bros cartoon short that is very famous in FA circles. And as I said -- I was only curious. As the computer said in LOGAN'S RUN: "The question has been answered."

What's wrong with that?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #29
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Have Some Respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore2me View Post
Hello Hamhock,

Regardless of one's stand on WLS, Weight Loss Surgery, it is disrespectful, if not somewhat sociopathic to harass people over WLS. For the record, I don't support WLS, but I fully respect the right of a person to make his/her own choice about their own bodies. An adult who has decided on WLS has done so, as a medically viable treatment, to save his/her own life. I really think that harassment over WLS, especially in this thread, should result in an infraction against the harassing poster..

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #30
Hamhock

Thumbs up Intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfree View Post
Regardless of one's stand on WLS, Weight Loss Surgery, it is disrespectful, if not somewhat sociopathic to harass people over WLS. For the record, I don't support WLS, but I fully respect the right of a person to make his/her own choice about their own bodies. An adult who has decided on WLS has done so, as a medically viable treatment, to save his/her own life. I really think that harassment over WLS, especially in this thread, should result in an infraction against the harassing poster..
Sir;

I said this before: I was only curious about the acronym. I did NOT know what it meant. My intention was/is/will not be to harass. What ever gave that impression?

BTW: I just found out something --WLS refers to Hihifo Airport, an airport in Hihifo on Wallis Island in Wallis and Futuna. The airport is 5.6 km from Mata-Utu.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #31
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Simply Put

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamhock View Post
Hi guys. Hamhock is back -- at least in part, I'm wondering, what exactly is WLS? If I'm reading the titles, is it some reference to de-fatting torture?
Simply put, WLS, weight loss surgery, is a valid medical procedure and not a de-fatting torture. I have no desire to see a shitstorm in this thread, in fact, it wouldn't displease me to see the banhammer come down really hard...walk carefully and don't forget to keep looking up!

I have nothing more to add.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #32
HereticFA

HereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions communityHereticFA is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfree View Post
I really think that harassment over WLS, especially in this thread, should result in an infraction against the harassing poster..
You do note that the name of this board is "The WLS Controversy" board, not "The WLS Support Group" board? Just because few of us who see WLS differently post here with regularity doesn't mean it's significantly changed from the original basis of "controversy". I saw nothing in this thread that could be remotely considered harassment. (Assuming something hasn't been deleted from the thread.)

One person's outspoken objection to WLS is too often taken as a personal attack since few people can differentiate between themselves and their decisions. All too often the emotional investment some fat people make in WLS as their salvation is misplaced. It's only a tool to assist them in the basics of dieting and exercise. It's not a solution by itself. This is never more obvious than five to seven years out from their surgery as most post-ops start to regain or have complications of malnutrition. I see WLS as just a way to get a new co-morbidities in addition to the ones you already have. The biggest benefit (or actually "product") of WLS is "hope". What I object to is how that hope is usually not fulfilled for the fat person but instead becomes a big let-down (or they develop significant complications) over time. I say this as someone who now has watched 16 friends have WLS.

WLS will always be a political hot potato in the fat acceptance community. To make candid discussion about it off limits for fear of offending someone is equally a form of harassment as well.
HereticFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #33
CastingPearls
Go Big Or Go Home

CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.CastingPearls has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I don't have a nickle in this quarter but I wouldn't say disagreeing with it is harassment. Trolling, however is a different story. That being said, there are plenty of threads in this forum that are FTR, not pro-WLS.

Free me, free yourself
A life of sacrifice controlled me
But those promises I made
No longer hold me
Mercurial more wayward by the hour
The shackles fall away I'm in your power

People throw rocks at things that shine.
CastingPearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #34
Marlayna

Marlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions communityMarlayna is a pillar of the Dimensions community

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticFA View Post
You do note that the name of this board is "The WLS Controversy" board, not "The WLS Support Group" board? Just because few of us who see WLS differently post here with regularity doesn't mean it's significantly changed from the original basis of "controversy". I saw nothing in this thread that could be remotely considered harassment. (Assuming something hasn't been deleted from the thread.)

One person's outspoken objection to WLS is too often taken as a personal attack since few people can differentiate between themselves and their decisions. All too often the emotional investment some fat people make in WLS as their salvation is misplaced. It's only a tool to assist them in the basics of dieting and exercise. It's not a solution by itself. This is never more obvious than five to seven years out from their surgery as most post-ops start to regain or have complications of malnutrition. I see WLS as just a way to get a new co-morbidities in addition to the ones you already have. The biggest benefit (or actually "product") of WLS is "hope". What I object to is how that hope is usually not fulfilled for the fat person but instead becomes a big let-down (or they develop significant complications) over time. I say this as someone who now has watched 16 friends have WLS.

WLS will always be a political hot potato in the fat acceptance community. To make candid discussion about it off limits for fear of offending someone is equally a form of harassment as well.
Great post, and thank you for your opinions on this subject. I sometimes toy with the idea of surgery for weight loss, but it's not for me.
I never realized why it was such a controversial topic, until now.
Marlayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #35
jen68

jen68 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesjen68 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Ok is this about WLS controversy or someone getting banned from Dimensions. I just had wls on July 25th so im only a month post op. I no there are deaths associated with this surgery as with any other surgery, but my surgery went very good. I have dropped 4 pant sizes since I started with the pre op diet until now. Physically I feel great. Emotionally on the other hand is a diff story. I miss my vices, I miss my food which brought me comfort when I was down I miss my beer and cigs too. I know it will get better as time goes on. I have to keep reminding myself of the benefits and of the rewards I plan on giving myself once I reach my goals. I look forward to hitting the open road on the Harley I plan to reward myself with. Not sure if I will get a sportster or a dyna low ride. My reasons for having the surgery were not so much due to health reasons or even because Im not confident as a BBW. I did it because there are so many things I want to do that are impossible to do being as over weight as I am. I just want to begin to live again with out physical restrictions.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #36
Hamhock

Default Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen68 View Post
Ok is this about WLS controversy or someone getting banned from Dimensions. I just had wls on July 25th so im only a month post op. I no there are deaths associated with this surgery as with any other surgery, but my surgery went very good. I have dropped 4 pant sizes since I started with the pre op diet until now. Physically I feel great. Emotionally on the other hand is a diff story. I miss my vices, I miss my food which brought me comfort when I was down I miss my beer and cigs too. I know it will get better as time goes on. I have to keep reminding myself of the benefits and of the rewards I plan on giving myself once I reach my goals. I look forward to hitting the open road on the Harley I plan to reward myself with. Not sure if I will get a sportster or a dyna low ride. My reasons for having the surgery were not so much due to health reasons or even because Im not confident as a BBW. I did it because there are so many things I want to do that are impossible to do being as over weight as I am. I just want to begin to live again with out physical restrictions.
No -- this is about me being told what the acronym WLS means. Nothing more. But some people decided to make a tempest in a tea pot about it for some unknown reason.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #37
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Jen, we won't get banned from the site for being pro-WLS or having had WLS. We just have to tread carefully when it comes to how and when we discuss it.

Congratulations on your surgery, and I'm glad things are going so well for you. From one WLS patient to another, my advice is to keep taking your vitamins, even when you feel "normal", and know that you will likely go through some pretty significant emotional changes.

Best of luck to you. I'm here if you need or want support.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #38
jen68

jen68 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesjen68 can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vickie View Post
Jen, we won't get banned from the site for being pro-WLS or having had WLS. We just have to tread carefully when it comes to how and when we discuss it.

Congratulations on your surgery, and I'm glad things are going so well for you. From one WLS patient to another, my advice is to keep taking your vitamins, even when you feel "normal", and know that you will likely go through some pretty significant emotional changes.

Best of luck to you. I'm here if you need or want support.
Thanks Miss Vickie,
And about the emotional changes oh yes I hear you. I started with the emotional changes 3yrs ago after my hysterectomy due to uterine cancer and I am told its only guna get worse. With all the changes I have already been going thru in my life these past few years and with the added changes now due to wls I know this next yr will be a doozey. Well Ive always liked roller coasters so hears to the ride lol