Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 03-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #476
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

What exactly is a German - Canadian Oktoberfest sausage
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #477
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
What exactly is a German - Canadian Oktoberfest sausage
OK, I apologize in advance, what follows is a) a wall of text, and b) probably really pedantic.

What I really meant is the “I miss the ‘Oktoberfest’ sausages that we used to get at the farmers market in Kitchener.” * But since most people wouldn’t know that the Kitchener area has a heavy German heritage (it may have been more apparent if, during the first world war, they’d not renamed the city from “Berlin” to the name of a forgettable British general) I chose “German-Canadian” instead.

The Kitchener area was first settled by German speaking Mennonites coming up from Pennsylvania (Mennonites are different from the Amish, but are fellow Anabaptists). Mennonites, both traditional who eschew mechanization and reform who accept it so long as it isn’t a vanity, still farm a lot of the land in the area. That German start led to many of the immigrants coming from Germany and German speaking parts of Switzerland to settle in that area, especially in the 1800s, but I believe there were further waves right through the fifties. There are still many German cultural clubs in the city, German folk dancing is a common extracurricular activity, and the city is still blonder and taller than most parts of Canada (that last is just my subjective impression).

Like other immigrant groups, people kept making food that they liked. Farmers and small scale slaughter-houses sold their wares at farmer’s markets. But like with other immigrant groups, what customers outside of that ethnic group liked, and how/when they liked it, were not all the same as the group where the food comes from, so flavours and names evolve. Hence, around Kitchener there came to be a type of sausage that is known there as Oktoberfest sausage, that is sold all year long**. I expect that it is derived from some traditional German or Bavarian sausage, but what I couldn’t tell you. It is pale, usually shorter than many other types of sausage, has quite finely ground meat, and somewhat distinctive (but quite mild) flavour.

* There is a mass market, frozen, 'Oktoberfest' sausage sold by Schneiders, a meat packing company from Kitchener, but it is pretty much an imitation of an imitation, and really is not a substitute for what I was craving.

** Kitchener does celebrate Oktoberfest, however as best as I can tell this is a relatively modern tourism/marketing creation, not something that carried forward from settler days—possibly because the Mennonites probably weren’t into such things. If it actually had been a continual thing, they'd probably do it when Oktoberfest is on in Bavaria, instead of in early October It is billed as the largest Oktoberfest outside of Bavaria, but the majority of it consists of people crowding into arenas which have been turned into beer halls for a couple of weeks, and drinking mediocre mass-market beer in large quantities while listening to amateur “oompah-pah bands” (theoretically polka bands, but all most people care about is when they are going to play the Chicken Dance). It is moderately less commercial & crass if you go to the events run by the various german cultural clubs, from what I understand. My wife is from Kitchener and swears that most locals hate it because of all the rowdy drunks disturbing things for most of two weeks, but it could also be that, as the dark haired daughter of a Rumanian/Yugoslavian immigrant, she didn’t rate an invite to play along, so her feelings may or may not actually be representative of those of other locals.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #478
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Tad, the least you could do is provide photos
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #479
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm craving a snow cone from the snow cone place at the Trader's Village flea market. They have some more unusual flavors like chili-mango, salty sour lemon, and margarita flavor syrup (you buy the ice and flavor it yourself at a syrup table next to the stand). I want to mix margarita and salty sour lemon together and then put a small swirl of chili-mango on top.

O.M.G. I am craving this SO freaking bad!
Old 03-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #480
Tad
mostly harmless

Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tad has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoVerySoft View Post
Tad, the least you could do is provide photos
I tried, but couldn't find any that didn't just look like any other sausage
Old 03-25-2015, 03:04 AM   #481
agouderia
Library Girl

agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!agouderia keeps pushing the rep limit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Hence, around Kitchener there came to be a type of sausage that is known there as Oktoberfest sausage, that is sold all year long**. I expect that it is derived from some traditional German or Bavarian sausage, but what I couldn’t tell you. It is pale, usually shorter than many other types of sausage, has quite finely ground meat, and somewhat distinctive (but quite mild) flavour.
Aha - and it's mainly served cooked/boiled and not fried/grilled? With a kind of grainy sweet mustard relish?

Then it sounds like a Bavarian 'Weißwurst' (Which you will have come across as what Alex&Max have as second breakfast in Munich in my current story - see Chapter IVa of 'Energetic Expansions' )

Even though it's of course served there as anything eatable Bavarian at Oktoberfest, Weißwurst wouldn't be considered a typical Oktoberfest fare; roast ham knuckles and chicken roast on the spit are more the standards.

Dating from pre-refrigerator times, Weißwurst was freshly made with ground leftover meat pieces and cooked in the mornings, to be then eaten directly as second breakfast or early lunch (often directly in butcher shops) because the raw meat which was only simmered wouldn't keep.

But nowadays anything that's supposed to come across as typically Bavarian or German is marketed under the Oktoberfest label.....
agouderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:37 AM   #482
Tad
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouderia View Post
Aha - and it's mainly served cooked/boiled and not fried/grilled? With a kind of grainy sweet mustard relish?

Nailed it! At least, the "oktoberfest mustard" is a sweet mustard, but not generally grainy (probably due to NA expectations), and the ones I was craving we usually picked up at the Saturday morning farmer's market as second breakfast, and indeed they were boiled or steamed or some such (the particular place I'm thinking of was actually a bread/buns seller, but they also sold the cooked sausages in their buns, which really was very good advertising for how good the buns were)
Old 03-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #483
Xyantha Reborn
- Actually Very Tame!

Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.Xyantha Reborn has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Ok. I don't even like sausage, and now I am craving it. Thanks a bunch, Tad!

Do you have european meat stores near you? I find that they usually have a nice sausages...maybe it would tide you over?

If not...sounds like a road trip to Kitchener.

One of my team works in Kitchener. Maybe I could convince her to source me some....mmm
Xyantha Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:17 AM   #484
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i am really wanting pancakes with an over easy egg between them. you get the savory egg taste and the sweet syrup happiness. yum.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:51 AM   #485
Tad
mostly harmless

I’m sure part of the craving is that a couple of weekends ago we’d planned a road-trip to Kitchener, and were going to market (not that the particular stall I was reminiscing about still sells those), and were planning on filling up a cooler-chest full of meat from the market (the quality and price are both far better than at a grocery store. We can get as good meat in general from our local butcher, but at a higher price, and can’t get the same sausages at all). And yes, perhaps I need to look around town for appropriate sausages, perhaps that will be a project for this weekend—especially armed with the information from Agouderia, as that could help be a guide.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #486
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!luvmybhm has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i am glad that halloween is coming soon. i love popcorn balls. i know i can make them, but i love the act ii ones you buy at the store. super crunchy. you used to only get them at christmas time, but the last few years i have seen out at halloween time as well. can't wait.

Attachment 121544
Old 09-07-2015, 05:29 AM   #487
Van

Van does more than just post hot picsVan does more than just post hot picsVan does more than just post hot pics

I am craving a Sara Lee cheese danish. I could eat those forever.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:13 AM   #488
FluffyButterfly80
Let's be friends!

FluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging inFluffyButterfly80 makes people happy simply by logging in

I am craving a nice fat juicy cheese burger and fries! LOL I had some dental work the other day and have been on a soft diet since Friday.. i can't want to chomp down into soe MEAT! haha :P
Old 09-20-2015, 06:09 PM   #489
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
i am really wanting pancakes with an over easy egg between them. you get the savory egg taste and the sweet syrup happiness. yum.
Soft egg yolk and sugary syrup????
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #490
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

yes, ruby...so good! not drowning in syrup, just enough for a hint of flavor. you get the rich egg and just a hint of sweet. try them, good stuff.

right now i reeeaaaallllyyy want eggplant parm. i was at the store yesterday, but they had like 3 eggplants and they looked like they had been through the war. i am gonna try again tomorrow at a different store while i am out.

i will make a bunch of it and put it in the freezer.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #491
luvmybhm
waiting for spring!

hub is bringing me one of those new quesolupa things from taco bell. saw the commercial and have been jonesing to try it.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #492
traceg

traceg does more than just post hot picstraceg does more than just post hot picstraceg does more than just post hot picstraceg does more than just post hot pics

I cant stop craving chocolate caremel cheesecake !
traceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #493
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybhm View Post
hub is bringing me one of those new quesolupa things from taco bell. saw the commercial and have been jonesing to try it.
How was it??
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:44 PM   #494
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Alot of the offerings from TB have been amazing. The current "Taco Burrito", double meat taco fixins with corn tortilla strips wrapped in a burrito sized white flour tortilla is very tasty. I hope it becomes a regular item like the quesarito.

The special item, that I can't remember.. from three months ago.. which was like a chicken chalupa, only instead of a tortilla, it was a chicken pattie bent in the shape of a chalupa, stuffed with fixins. I'm sure they lost money on that, because I bought lots and lots of them on their $5 box.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #495
Tracyarts

Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!Tracyarts keeps pushing the rep limit!

I'm craving shrimp. This last hospitalization wrecked our "fun/luxury" budget until the beginning of June. But that first paycheck in June, we're going down to the seafood market on the bay and buying 10 pounds of shrimp straight off the boats and having a weekend long shrimp feast.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:48 PM   #496
Tracii

Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Tracii has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Lately its been cinnamon coffee cake.
Tracii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #497
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

That new baby back rib burger at Carl's Jr.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:08 PM   #498
DragonFly
Ahem Prema

DragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticedDragonFly never has a post go unnoticed
Default The craving list is long...

I need one perfectly dry aged bone in filet cooked to a nice rare plus. With this steak I just need a fork and a knife and no one will get hurt.
DragonFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:57 AM   #499
Tracyarts

I satisfied my shrimp craving. There's a restaurant near our house that serves the best shrimp salad, and I had one last night. A bed of basic dinner salad mix (lettuce, carrot shreds, cabbage shreds), garnished with avocado slices, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, red onion strips, a few lemon wedges, and a halved boiled egg. And in the middle, a big pile of fresh boiled shrimp, with finely minced celery and white onion, tossed in a light creamy sauce like they put in coleslaw. Dee-licious, and you get a half pound of shrimp with it, easily.

Now I'm craving shrimp spring rolls.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #500
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Pho But there arent any places close by.