Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 05-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
SamanthaNY
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Home Remedies

Got any? Know of any?

I thought it would be fun and useful to detail some home remedies here - and they don't have to be health-related. For each post that follows, I'll add a note to this original post so it can serve as an index. With any luck, we'll have quite a collection that can be easily searched through without reading page after page. Neat, huh? If it takes off well, I'll sticky it.
  • As always, information given here is not verified or necessarily tested by Dimensions Magazine, it's owner or readers. Users assume their own risk in following any advice. Entries here are NOT to be considered a substitute for professional medical care.
HEALTH:
Bladder Infections
Chilblains
Colds, viral infections (item 2)
Diaper rash (item 2)
Ear Ache
Ear Ache (item 1)
Fungal Infections
Heartburn
Head Lice
Immune system, promoting health of (item 2)
Impromptu heating pad! (item 5)
Migraine (item 6)
Mosquito bites
Nail fungus
Nail fungus
Overfull stomach (items 3,4)
Poison Ivy
Skin cancer cure? (see also here)
Sunburn
Sunburn (item 7)
Sunburn
Sunburn (item 1)
Upper respiratory congestion
Viral infections, colds (item 2)
Wound care/antibacterial
Yeast Infection
Yeast Infection

FAT BODY TIPS AND TRICKS

Comfort tricks of the fat boy/girl trade

HOME:

Removing blood stains from fabric
Removing blood stains from fabric
Removing ink stains from fabric
Copper cleaner
Impromptu heating pad! (item 5)
Natural Disinfectant
Chemical-Free Floor Cleaner
Unclogging a showerhead

BEAUTY:
Making eyeliner last longer
Neck/underarm discoloration

Last edited by Risible; 01-07-2008 at 07:00 PM.
SamanthaNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
SamanthaNY
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!SamanthaNY keeps pushing the rep limit!

I've always suffered from ear infections (hello? I'm not 5 anymore!), and usually a course of antibiotics clears it up. However, the last time the doctor discovered that my ear pain was not an infection, but the result of blisters forming on my eardrums - the result of clenching my teeth at night, and stressing the jaw (a condition known as TMJ), putting pressure on my eardrum.

There are all sorts of ear drops and other things you can take to fix this or other types of ear aches, but I've found the best thing is to rest my ear on a heating pad. For a really bad case, I'll sleep on the heating pad all night at a medium heat setting. In a day or two, the ear is back to normal.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #3
BubbleButtBabe
No one cares anyway

BubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging in

Mustard or some white vinegar works great on a burn..Instead of ice or butter just put the mustard or vinegar on the burn..It will burn as it pulls the heat out of the burn but in my experience it kept the skin from blistering..

Only two miracles are worth seeing:
The miracle of loving
And
The miracle of forgiving-Sri Chinmoy
BubbleButtBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
imfree
VLF Loop Rancher

imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.imfree has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Mentholatum

Dr TJ told me to use mentholatum for foot fungus. It worked for me. I found that it also keeps my ears clear of mold and fungus caused by my diabetes.

You got to lose to know how to win.(Aerosmith-Dream On)

Fat is like grass, it'll never go away and there's a hell
of a lot of money to be made by controlling it!

Life is only therapy, real expensive and no guarantees.

Fat is only ugly to those who hate.

Federal Pacific Panels & Breakers have known fire hazards!
imfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:14 AM   #5
BeaBea
Man up or move on!

BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!BeaBea keeps pushing the rep limit!

Chilblains - I've tried everything but a little bit of Tiger Balm rubbed in takes the pain away and seems to heal them up. It does smell very -medicinal- though..

Tracey xx
BeaBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:49 AM   #6
BeautifulPoeticDisaster

BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!

Hydrogen peroxide...the weak 3% version, will remove blood from clothes and furniture...you know, when you "leak" during that time and leave spots? Pour some peroxide directly on the spill, leave it for a minute as it fizzies up and then you whipe it with a damn cloth...works wonders!!!
BeautifulPoeticDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:45 AM   #7
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

1. My son got horrible earache like kids get, one saturday night and we couldn't get to the doctor til Monday. Nothing was helping, so I looked on the net and saw a cure I was very dubious about. However, the pain my son was in, I decided I had nothing to lose. It said to put some mouthwash onto a cottonwool pad and gently squeeze the wash into the ear. I did this and it was like a miracle. He went from a pained constant whine, to his cheeky self in about five minutes. When I took him to the doctor on the Monday, he said it worked because it's antibacterial and would have killed bacteria in the ear. I wouldn't recommend this for everyday, but for an emergency it worked brilliantly.
  2. If you have a baby with nappy rash and sensitive skin, whisk up an egg white and spread it onto the babys bottom. It forms a natural barrier and helps heal the skin.
  3. If you have overindulged at dinner, shave some ginger root into hot water, then drink. It tastes good and really settles an upset stomach. It's also good for morning sickness or queasiness due to other illness. If you only have dried ground ginger, it works too. Just stir half a tsp into a cup of hot water.
  4. If you know you are going to be eating a lot (eg.. Christmas or Thanksgiving), have some pineapple to hand. Eat a chunk of pineapple immediately after your main "binge" lol, and it will help your food digest much more easily. Pineapple contains an enzyme that acts like stomach acid on food, great stuff. This does not apparently work with pineapple juice, you need the flesh.
  5. If you need a heat pad and don't have one, fill a clean sock about two thirds with uncooked rice, then tie the end in a knot. Heat in the microwave 'til the desired temperature is reached. This will hold its heat for quite a while and is good on a sore ear or jaw, and it moulds into shape nicely.
  6. If you suffer from real migraines and you don't get proper relief from your medication, try this cure I heard on radio, and told a friend about. When you feel the first sign of your migraine coming on, make the strongest cup of black coffee you can. Four tsps of instant coffee in half a cup of hot water is about right. Drink this down quickly (hold your nose lol). This should stop your migraine forming. My best friend had bad migraine for many years and has never had another since starting this "treatment".
  7. If you get sunburned (tsk tsk), spread natural yogurt on the affected areas to cool it down. Alternatively you can place slices of tomato on it. I learned both those from Greek people, when I visited Corfu. It's what they always use.

Last edited by SamanthaNY; 05-26-2007 at 09:46 AM. Reason: to add numbers, so people can find remedies easier
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #8
SamanthaNY
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Erk - fantastic list! I hope it's okay if I numbered your entries - that way it's easier for people to find what they're looking for from the index.

Thanks for your ideas! These all sound great
Old 05-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleButtBabe View Post
Mustard or some white vinegar works great on a burn..Instead of ice or butter just put the mustard or vinegar on the burn..It will burn as it pulls the heat out of the burn but in my experience it kept the skin from blistering..
She's right. She made me put mustard on my hand after pouring a whole pot of boiling water and pasta on it. It burned like a MOFO for hours..but by morning, the burning had stopped and miraculously, no blister. It wasn't even really sore to the touch the next day.

But let me tell you..it's the worst pain of YOUR LIFE! But worth it.
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:39 AM   #10
BeautifulPoeticDisaster

BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!

Noxzema!! If you get a really bad sunburn on your face and shoulders, rub noxzema into your skin. Do not rinse off. Reapply every 3-4 hours for a day....you be in less pain, you skin will release heat, and you will be less likely to peel...and it feels like heaven.

I miss Noxzema, I have yet to find it here in the UK.

Another good use for Noxzema: you know how under your arms and around your neck can appear brownish at times (well, at least with my insulin resistance the skin would discolour) Applying a large amount of Noxzema to those areas in the shower before I washed with soap, makes them fade and makes you skin feel all smooth.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:41 AM   #11
BeautifulPoeticDisaster

If your shower head is clogged from hard water, you can unclog it by removing the shower head and running vinegar through it until it runs through every hole. (Then obviously put your shower head back on, lol) Works like a charm.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:06 AM   #12
Suze
Too Vanilla For You

Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Suze has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

i guess this post don't belong her, but what the....

if you have problems with eyeliners not staying in place and go away during the day, hold a lighter and warm it up for 2-3 sec. it works wonders.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:53 AM   #13
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaNY View Post
Erk - fantastic list! I hope it's okay if I numbered your entries - that way it's easier for people to find what they're looking for from the index.

Thanks for your ideas! These all sound great
Thanks Sam! Yes, great idea to number the tips, makes them stand out better too!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #14
BubbleButtBabe
No one cares anyway

BubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging in

You can use white vinegar as a disinfectant if you do not have any alcohol or peroxide..It is also good for cleaning baby things that you do not want to put any chemicals on such as a pacifier or bottle nipple..

If you get poison ivy easily there is a product called "Tecnu" that you can use..You wipe it on your affected skin for 2 minutes then rinse off with cool water..It washes the ivy's oil off your skin..

Only two miracles are worth seeing:
The miracle of loving
And
The miracle of forgiving-Sri Chinmoy
BubbleButtBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #15
QuasimodoQT
Shy viking

QuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticedQuasimodoQT never has a post go unnoticed
Default Home remedies

I have two:

1- sunburn. I'm very pale, and burn easily- even with sunscreen there have been times I've been trapped outside, and no amount of sunscreen saves me from a burn. There's this stuff called Hoofmaker. A huge bottle is really cheap. Don't laugh, so many people are using this that the label reads, now approved for human use. It's a great moisturizer for the body, smells a bit like Noxema. Use only the Original Formula.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Mane-...0653039&sr=8-2

For sunburn, I apply it immediately and thickly, and reapply whenever it's absorbed, or whenever I think about it, whichever comes first. This stuff almost always fades the sunburn to nil by morning, and I almost never peel, when I continue to use (more lightly) for a few days.

2- viral infections, colds. My mom has lymphoma, so she has tried a bunch of alternative medicine since her immune system is challenged. She found a product that keeps her healthy, even when the 3 or 4 other residents of her house (all usually healthy) fall ill. She just toddles around with her challenged immune sytem, helping them. I tried it at her insistence, and it's saved me over 10 times already. I start feeling sick, coughing, etc., and I start swigging this stuff- gone by morning. I've given it as a gift to a lot of friends.

It's called Sambucol, and I'm recommending the Immune System Formula, rather than the Original Formula. It's at a lot of health food stores, but this link to an Amazon merchent has had it on MEGA-sale for almost 2 years, so it looks like it may really be their regular price, which is 65% cheaper than anywhere else. For some reason the smaller bottles are a much better deal than the economy sizes. It really is amazing stuff, and I've never had much luck with Airborne, etc. The main active ingredient is black elderberry extract, and you can Google info on studies about how effective they are finding it against viruses. It even tastes, not *great*, but kinda sweet/tart, not bad.

http://www.amazon.com/Sambucol-Immun...0653345&sr=8-4

Feel free to ask me anything else about them. No, I don't work for them or anything! I should ask the company for commissions though, I've referred these a lot!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 PM   #16
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Head lice- use coconut shampoo and conditioner (Suave coconut brand is very cheap) - rinse in 1 cup vinegar:one gallon water solution

Something in coconut is a natural enemy of lice and kills them quickly- wash hair in the shampoo and then rinse with the vinegar solution
The vinegar's ph effects the stickiness of the eggs/nits- cover the hair in the coconut conditioner and use a nit comb to comb out- rinse in vinegar water again - then rinse vinegar out with water.

Anything such as pillows, stuffed toys, bedding, etc that can't be washed in hot water and baked in a dryer for 20 minutes or more should instead be sealed up in plastic bags sealed up airtight for at least two weeks. The lice and any subsequent hatchings all smother in that time frame.

I hope I just saved someone hundreds of dollars and months of angst with this post

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:16 PM   #17
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleButtBabe View Post
You can use white vinegar as a disinfectant if you do not have any alcohol or peroxide..It is also good for cleaning baby things that you do not want to put any chemicals on such as a pacifier or bottle nipple..

If you get poison ivy easily there is a product called "Tecnu" that you can use..You wipe it on your affected skin for 2 minutes then rinse off with cool water..It washes the ivy's oil off your skin..

Vinegar splashed into hot water cleans floors too- with no chemicals

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
Old 06-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #18
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Fairy View Post
Head lice- use coconut shampoo and conditioner (Suave coconut brand is very cheap) - rinse in 1 cup vinegar:one gallon water solution

Something in coconut is a natural enemy of lice and kills them quickly- wash hair in the shampoo and then rinse with the vinegar solution
The vinegar's ph effects the stickiness of the eggs/nits- cover the hair in the coconut conditioner and use a nit comb to comb out- rinse in vinegar water again - then rinse vinegar out with water.

Anything such as pillows, stuffed toys, bedding, etc that can't be washed in hot water and baked in a dryer for 20 minutes or more should instead be sealed up in plastic bags sealed up airtight for at least two weeks. The lice and any subsequent hatchings all smother in that time frame.

I hope I just saved someone hundreds of dollars and months of angst with this post
WOW I so wish I had known about this when my son was younger! In the UK, head lice is epidemic amongst school kids, mostly primary age (5- 12 yrs). When I was a child, there used to be a "nit nurse" that would go round the schools and check all the kids heads, skin etc for things like head lice, scabies, etc. If a child was found to be infected they were immediately sent home with a green card and not allowed back til they had been completely fumigated! Because of this policy, head lice levels were kept really low. However, nowadays, it's seen as "child abuse" for a nit nurse to go through childs heads... so we have horrific levels and we were always on the lookout on our kids heads. Every week I would check my son's head, and luckily he only caught them once, because his hair was about an inch long all over. I caught them early and they were gone in one treatment. I have friends with daughters with long thick hair who have had lice now several times. Too much treatment with over the counter preparations can damage the nerve endings on the scalp, too. Some people use tea tree preparations and the old combing the hair with conditioner and a nit comb until the eggs are all gone, treatment. Some people here are even treating their kids heads when they arent infected, only resulting in the lice becoming immune.

ps for toys, if you have room, 48 hrs in a freezer does the trick too. Lice can only live for a day or two at room temperature though, so most here don't bother with that stuff, and it seems ok.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble there, and thanks for that remedy!

Quote:
Vinegar splashed into hot water cleans floors too- with no chemicals
Vinegar splashed onto hot fried chips is great too lol.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #19
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Ripples View Post
WOW I so wish I had known about this when my son was younger! In the UK, head lice is epidemic amongst school kids, mostly primary age (5- 12 yrs). When I was a child, there used to be a "nit nurse" that would go round the schools and check all the kids heads, skin etc for things like head lice, scabies, etc. If a child was found to be infected they were immediately sent home with a green card and not allowed back til they had been completely fumigated! Because of this policy, head lice levels were kept really low. However, nowadays, it's seen as "child abuse" for a nit nurse to go through childs heads... so we have horrific levels and we were always on the lookout on our kids heads. Every week I would check my son's head, and luckily he only caught them once, because his hair was about an inch long all over. I caught them early and they were gone in one treatment. I have friends with daughters with long thick hair who have had lice now several times. Too much treatment with over the counter preparations can damage the nerve endings on the scalp, too. Some people use tea tree preparations and the old combing the hair with conditioner and a nit comb until the eggs are all gone, treatment. Some people here are even treating their kids heads when they arent infected, only resulting in the lice becoming immune.

ps for toys, if you have room, 48 hrs in a freezer does the trick too. Lice can only live for a day or two at room temperature though, so most here don't bother with that stuff, and it seems ok.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble there, and thanks for that remedy!
No ramble at all

Seems to me that not realizing your children have lice and getting rid of it quickly is more "abusive" than someone checking their heads frequently. The school nurses here can do it for the kids in school. However, I have three girls- one caught it from the neighbors child and EVERYONE in the neighborhood seemed to be getting it. When I discovered it in the one's head, I then checked everyone and we all had it (yes, that bad and disgusting and how I WISH we had that nit nurse here ). It was shocking because the little ones don't go to school yet (they caught it a neighbor's home- not in school) and the oldest one knows not to wear other's hats, use their combs,etc.
I had to do REPEATED treatments- they kept coming back. After spending over $250 on the store treatments, I went online and discovered the coconut shampoo trick posted by a woman that raises foster kids and frequently gets children with lice. The vinegar solution for the nits was posted elsewhere but it made absolute sense to me as soon as I read it because I know about the ph balance of vinegar and how it is useful for so many things.

The coconut shampoo/conditioner and vinegar all cost me less than $3- and worked the first time. There have been no more re-occurences in two years either.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:32 PM   #20
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Since i havent seen it yet, Hairspray gets ink out of clothing. My mom used to make beautiful quilted dresses and one load of laundry got a pen in it and it spattered the clothes with ink and hairspray got them all out.

also a quilting tip, spit can get blood out of your clothing. Sometimes you prick yourself and bleed on it and your spit will neutralize the blood.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:21 AM   #21
lemmink
THE PUMMEL IS COMING

lemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going on

Here's one for skin cancer (prolly not melanoma though, btw):

These grow in your garden. Put the white yicky stuff inside their stems on any skin cancers you have, and they'll burn out in 24 hours. (Yeah, it can be painy, but it does stop being painy )

Recently big companies have discovered that this works and have created their own formulas for curing cancer that work in within "two days" by "isolating the right proteins" and blah, blah, blah. This is bullshit: they're just trying to make money. If you put on the actual stuff, it'll be fixed overnight.

It's also reputed to be a new potential cure for leukemia too, and help a bunch of other ones... but yeah, word isn't out on those ones yet
lemmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:02 AM   #22
ExpandingHorizons

ExpandingHorizons can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmink View Post

These grow in your garden. Put the white yicky stuff inside their stems on any skin cancers you have, and they'll burn out in 24 hours. (Yeah, it can be painy, but it does stop being painy )

Recently big companies have discovered that this works and have created their own formulas for curing cancer that work in within "two days" by "isolating the right proteins" and blah, blah, blah. This is bullshit: they're just trying to make money. If you put on the actual stuff, it'll be fixed overnight.

It's also reputed to be a new potential cure for leukemia too, and help a bunch of other ones... but yeah, word isn't out on those ones yet
Very interesting, I didn't know about that. That's something new.
ExpandingHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:30 AM   #23
SamanthaNY
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmink View Post

I'm skeptical, to say the least. What is this plant? How does one find it? Where will it grow? Do you have any backup information for the claims of 'curing' skin cancer?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:53 AM   #24
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Quote:
No ramble at all

Seems to me that not realizing your children have lice and getting rid of it quickly is more "abusive" than someone checking their heads frequently. The school nurses here can do it for the kids in school. However, I have three girls- one caught it from the neighbors child and EVERYONE in the neighborhood seemed to be getting it. When I discovered it in the one's head, I then checked everyone and we all had it (yes, that bad and disgusting and how I WISH we had that nit nurse here ). It was shocking because the little ones don't go to school yet (they caught it a neighbor's home- not in school) and the oldest one knows not to wear other's hats, use their combs,etc.
I had to do REPEATED treatments- they kept coming back. After spending over $250 on the store treatments, I went online and discovered the coconut shampoo trick posted by a woman that raises foster kids and frequently gets children with lice. The vinegar solution for the nits was posted elsewhere but it made absolute sense to me as soon as I read it because I know about the ph balance of vinegar and how it is useful for so many things.

The coconut shampoo/conditioner and vinegar all cost me less than $3- and worked the first time. There have been no more re-occurences in two years either.
At my son's school the parents started sending kids (mainly daughters with long hair) in wearing baseball caps and ponytails in their hair, or tied on bandanas covering most of the head. The school tried to make the kids take their baseball caps off indoors until some angry parents "spoke" to the headmistress about the constant nightmare of head lice. She had refused to allow a nit nurse to come for a few days and check every child's head, even with letters of authority from the parents, so she didnt have a leg to stand on really. The caps and bandanas stayed. We were told the way the lice are most often spread is by direct head to head or hair to hair contact. The lice stay mostly on the hair right next to the scalp where it's warm, so its when kids are working together in class or playing together, heads tight together, that the lice cross over. Girls particularly seem to work and play that way! So it's no wonder your girls caught them if they were playing with another child who was infected. Then no doubt passed them to you during hugs or story time!

I've emailed two friends about your coconut/vinegear remedy, they have young kids and are still having to deal with this.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #25
lemmink
THE PUMMEL IS COMING

lemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaNY View Post
I'm skeptical, to say the least. What is this plant? How does one find it? Where will it grow? Do you have any backup information for the claims of 'curing' skin cancer?
The plant is, um, petty spurge. It's a weed. You can find it in your garden, it really is pretty much everywhere (well, I know it's in Australia and the UK, so I guess I assume the rest, too...). I included the picture so you can kinda see what it looks like if you're out in the garden hunting for some.

If you're looking for info on the cancery stuff, just google "petty spurge" and "cancer". It's also occasionally called 'cancer weed'. Or you can look at some of the new cancer products that use petty spurge as their active ingredient (it should be listed on the back). My boyfriend's dad kills his skin cancers with it, and I've seen that work myself. (He now passes out plants to relatives and friends who don't know what it looks like so they can kill off theirs.)

Here's a few pages that refer to its properties or have info, it's kind of a range of places, lol. They've done I think one test on it, made a cream, and now they have leukemia trials planned for this year I think. Most of these are reporting on the same story though, just a range of takes on it :
http://talk.livedaily.com/archive/in.../t-527358.html
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Busine...335660056.html
http://bsalert.com/artsearch.php?fn=2&as=1178&dt=1
http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/content/view/492/32/
http://www.herbsphere.com/weedforluk.htm
http://www.ann.com.au/herbs/Monographs/euphp.htm
http://www2.bham.ac.uk/news_and_even...page=2&id=2003
lemmink is offline   Reply With Quote