Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > Health Forum

Old 05-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Risible
Monkey Daze

Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!Risible keeps pushing the rep limit!
Default Skin tags

In the People's Pharmacy column of the Los Angeles Times a reader asked what they thought of using New Skin Liquid Bandage to eliminate skin tags. PP answered that they'd heard of this being successful, and that wart remover has also worked in some cases.

Anyone have any experience with removing skin tags other than through a doctor?

Risible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I've heard of people using thread to tie them off but the few I've had were too small for even that. Some of my crazy nurse friends have used nail clippers and disposable scalpels but I DEFINITELY wouldn't recommend it (notice how I said my crazy nurse friends...).
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missaf View Post
All my female relatives on my mom's side have had all their surgically removed because of them becoming cancerous later on.

I used to work with the head of OR at our hospital, and she taught me how to tie my own hairs at the root of the tags and castrate them off. It's worked for those I can reach!

I'd be interested in trying other methods for those that are hard to reach!
Everything I've ever read suggests tying them off..cutting off the blood supply and they will eventually fall off.

Most skin tags are caused by some strain of the HPV virus..I wish we knew what strain and there was a vaccine or something..I get new ones everyday!
MisticalMisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
Observer
Editor/Writer/Commentator

Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Observer has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Googling "New skin liquid bandage" "skin tag" brings up a number of positive reports on this approach, including this from one syndicated health talk show"

"Skin tags are not dangerous, but as you point out, these fleshy growths can be bothersome. They often appear in skin folds such as under the arms, in the groin area or on the neck.

Several weeks ago, a reader recommended applying New-Skin Liquid Bandage to a skin tag or flap to remove it. We have since heard from several readers that this approach worked. "

However, googling "new skin liquid bandage" by itself brings up a mixed bag of product reviews.

Verdict: technique is likely a factor here and consumer results may vary. The only reccomendation can be to try it and see.
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I googled and got this....

Quote:
DermaTend™ Skin Tag Testimonial
DermaTend Skin Tag Remover - WORKS!
http://www.skintagremover.com/testimonials.html

Quote:
Skin tag removal: Can I do it myself?
How are skin tags removed? Can I do it myself?

Answer

Skin tags are small, soft, flesh-colored growths that protrude from your skin. They are generally harmless. However, if needed, skin tags can be snipped off with a scissors, or removed by freezing (cryotherapy) or with electrical current (electrodessication) in your dermatologist's office.

It is generally not recommended that you remove skin tags yourself because of the increased risk of infection and excessive bleeding. In addition, other skin growths — such as moles, keratoses, hemangiomas and pyogenic granulomas — can resemble skin tags and should only be removed by a doctor.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/skin-tags/AN00820

Good thread- I hope we get some "easy" answers because I have one too that is annoying but I had no idea what it was called so thanks for the info

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
Chimpi
into the shining sun

Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Chimpi has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I've got a question that some might choose to enlighten me.
I know Erin has one in her left armpit. I'd like to know what the ranges of sizes are for skin tags. Hers might be approximately one-quarter (1/4) to one-third (1/3) of an inch in diameter.

Also, missaf, do you know of any factors that might cause them to become cancerous?

Just curious.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
kr7

kr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticedkr7 never has a post go unnoticed

Thanks for starting this thread. You must have read my mind! I got a major skin rash last week which as far as I could tell was caused by irritation to skin tags. Needless to say, I am scheduled in a few weeks to have them looked at. I will be sure to ask my doc some questions raised here, and post any answers I get.

Chris
kr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
SocialbFly
I am keeping Tina!

SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default raising hand

raising hand...Krazy nurse friend here...lol...i use a big clipper that has been sanitized in alcohol and clip those suckers off, i had one in an obnoxious place that i tied off with sterile suture material, took forever to get off of me, good grief...so clippers are so much quicker but that being said, i don't do i to many, just the ones that drive me insane, and as Vickie said, some of those days it is a very short drive

Medical advisor to the Mayor of Fatopia :)
SocialbFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.MisticalMisty has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpi View Post
I've got a question that some might choose to enlighten me.
I know Erin has one in her left armpit. I'd like to know what the ranges of sizes are for skin tags. Hers might be approximately one-quarter (1/4) to one-third (1/3) of an inch in diameter.

Also, missaf, do you know of any factors that might cause them to become cancerous?

Just curious.
They can get fairly big. I have a couple that are at least the size of a lima bean or something..lol

I had one under my belly..it eventually got worn away.. Skin tags are weird!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
Tori DeLuca
The Big Butt Beauty

Tori DeLuca can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesTori DeLuca can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokesTori DeLuca can now be the recipient of "two cans" jokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticalMisty View Post

Most skin tags are caused by some strain of the HPV virus..I wish we knew what strain and there was a vaccine or something..I get new ones everyday!
Whoa...I never heard THIS before! How do you know this?
Tori DeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #11
SocialbFly
I am keeping Tina!

SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.SocialbFly has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default what is a skin tag

Skin tags
Skin tags (also called acrochordons or papillomas) are benign but annoying skin growth. No one really knows what causes them. Skin tags tend to appear in midlife, and may be an inherited condition. Some women develop skin tags during pregnancy. Although they are sometimes caused papillomas, skin tags aren't caused by a papillomavirus, as warts are. The term papilloma describes the appearance of the growths, not the cause. Skin tags are usually very small, skin-colored
growths commonly found on the neck, arms, and trunk. They may appear elsewhere on the body, as well. Sometimes a small stalk connects the main part of the growth to the skin
Skin tags are harmless growths. They are often found in the skin folds on the neck, under the arms, under the breasts, or in the groin. They begin as small fleshy brown spots and may grow a small stalk. Skin tags never turn into skin cancer. The tendency to develop skin tags appears to be inherited (genetic). A skin tag can be removed if it becomes irritated, bleeds, or causes embarrassment.

Skin tags develop in both men and women as they grow older. They are skin coloured or darker and range in size from 1mm to 5cm. They are most often found in the skin folds (neck, armpits, groin). They tend to be more numerous in obese persons and in those with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Skin tags are made up of loosely arranged collagen fibres and blood vessels surrounded by a thickend or thinned-out epidermis. Some skin tags are actually seborrhoeic keratoses, viral warts or molluscum contagiosum.

Skin tags at first may appear as tiny soft bumps on the skin. Over time, they grow into a flesh-colored piece of skin attached to the skin surface by a stalk. It's easy to move or wiggle skins tags back and forth. They are painless, although they can become irritated if they are rubbed a lot. If a skin tag is twisted on its stalk, a blood clot can develop within it and the skin tag may become painful.

Doctors can recognize skin tags easily by examining the skin. For skin tags with a characteristic appearance (soft, easily moveable, flesh-colored or slightly darker and usually attached to the skin surface by a stalk), a biopsy is unnecessary. If you notice that a skin tag doesn't move, is a different color than surrounding skin, is multicolored or has raw or bleeding areas, ask your doctor to examine it.

Skin tags that are located on the face or another visible area of the body, and growths that become irritated from contact with clothing can be removed easily. The simplest treatment is surgical removal, usually with scissors, to snip the skin tag off. This should be done by your healthcare practitioner, and not attempted at home. Another removal method is the use of liquid nitrogen to freeze the growth. Whatever treatment is used, remember that even if all skin tags are removed, new ones may appear. There is no known way to prevent the formation of skin tags.

http://skin-care.health-cares.net/skin-tags.php

Old 05-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #12
SocialbFly
I am keeping Tina!

Default not hpv

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_HPV_cause_skin_tags

HPV is a sexually transmitted disease that is cause by Human Papilloma Virus. There are approx. 60 different stains of this virus, 5 of those have been implicated in causing cervical cancer. There is no evidence the virus is transmitted any way other than sexual contact. Skin tags are benign lesions found on the skin, most commomly in the arm pit, groin, and neck, and have no relationship to HPV. There may be a hereditary tendency to develop these lesions which are usually asymptomatic, however they can be irritated by rubbing on clothing and need removal.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I did find one study, referenced here that said they found HPV DNA in skin tags and said it should be looked at as a possible causative factor. That surprised me, since I'd never heard that before, and I don't think it's commonly accepted. The more likely link seems to be with insulin resistance.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
SocialbFly
I am keeping Tina!

Default hmm

i a gonna post a diff thread with the info for HPV....interesting...
here is more info on it...to back up what you and Misty said....but in truth, these are more of the warty lesions, not the simple skin tag variety, seems there is conflicting info...

Diseases and Associated HPV Subtypes Nongenital Cutaneous Disease HPV Type
Common warts (verrucae vulgaris)
Warts (Nongenital) 1, 2, 4, 26, 27, 29, 41, 57, 65
Plantar warts (myrmecias)
Warts, Plantar 1, 2, 4, 63
Flat warts (verrucae plana) 3, 10, 27, 28, 38, 41, 49
Butcher's warts (common warts of people who handle meat, poultry, and fish) 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 10, 28
Mosaic warts 2, 27, 57
Ungual squamous cell carcinoma 16
Epidermodysplasia verruciformis (benign)
Epidermodysplasia Verruciformis 2, 3, 10, 12, 15, 19, 36, 46, 47, 50
Epidermodysplasia verruciformis (malignant or benign)
Epidermodysplasia Verruciformis 5, 8, 9, 10, 14, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 37, 38
Nonwarty skin lesions 37, 38

thats a lot of warts and some funky names and even worse, conflicting info, gotta love medicine...

Last edited by SocialbFly; 05-28-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #15
Green Eyed Fairy
Flash Dancing

Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Green Eyed Fairy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialbFly View Post
raising hand...Krazy nurse friend here...lol...i use a big clipper that has been sanitized in alcohol and clip those suckers off, i had one in an obnoxious place that i tied off with sterile suture material, took forever to get off of me, good grief...so clippers are so much quicker but that being said, i don't do i to many, just the ones that drive me insane, and as Vickie said, some of those days it is a very short drive

I have thought of this but.................HOW BADLY DOES THIS HURT????????

and how much does it bleed and how quickly to heal?

Also, I have what appears to be on on my aereola- I recently had a breast exam so I'm sure it was noticed but I never asked about it (meaning that it must not have looked too serious for them not to comment on it). Do you think it would be safe to do the same on it as the one on my neck?

"The longing of my heart is a fairy portrait of myself: I want to be pretty; I want to eliminate facts and fill up the gap with charms."

"See these eyes so green, I can stare for a thousand years, Colder than the moon
It's been so long and I've been putting out fire with gasoline"

Last edited by Green Eyed Fairy; 05-28-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Green Eyed Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #16
SocialbFly
I am keeping Tina!

Default well

speaking as a person, not a nurse here, anything with the breast, i would have someone check out, i wouldnt do it myself...but hey, neck, arm folds yeah, i am on em...doesnt hurt cause it is so quick, bleeding can be stopped with pressure...i wouldnt do it in a private part, and i wouldnt do it under my stomach fold, cause i would be afraid of infection...

just my 10 cents

Old 05-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #17
MisticalMisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori DeLuca View Post
Whoa...I never heard THIS before! How do you know this?
Wellll..I went through a whole maybe I have HPV/Dysplasia thing a few months ago..and my mom turned into super researcher and found that skin tags can be caused by a strain of HPV and there are like 150 strains. That's my exaggeration by the way..LOL

Crazy shit.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #18
Ruby Ripples
Dis Member

Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.Ruby Ripples has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialbFly View Post
speaking as a person, not a nurse here, anything with the breast, i would have someone check out, i wouldnt do it myself...but hey, neck, arm folds yeah, i am on em...doesnt hurt cause it is so quick, bleeding can be stopped with pressure...i wouldnt do it in a private part, and i wouldnt do it under my stomach fold, cause i would be afraid of infection...

just my 10 cents
Wow thanks for all that info. I have a few of these but my mum had said not to cut them off as they bleed a lot. She suggested the tying thread tightly round them til they drop off. So it's good to hear of people who have cut them off and not bled to death . I am actually squirming in horror at the thought of guillotining them with nail clippers, I am SUCH a pain wimp these days. However, its very tempting, to think I could be tag-free in a few mins! If I can pluck and wax I should be able to conquer this!!
Ruby Ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:22 PM   #19
BubbleButtBabe
No one cares anyway

BubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging inBubbleButtBabe makes people happy simply by logging in

A friend of mine used clear fingernail polish on her skin tags and she said after a couple of weeks they fell off..She said to just paint them really well,something about them being smothered..

There is a topic some where on these boards with all the research I did about HPV and was shocked when I read that they do cause some skin tags..

Only two miracles are worth seeing:
The miracle of loving
And
The miracle of forgiving-Sri Chinmoy
BubbleButtBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:24 PM   #20
Forgotten_Futures
The *other* Holy Trinity

Forgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging inForgotten_Futures makes people happy simply by logging in

I've got one on my whole body (that I know of) and it's right in my right armpit. Never got around to taking it off, but I think I might if I ever work up a real pain tolerance. Or if I used my sharpest knife I might not notice it; I've gone through skin on my hand with that thing and it didn't hurt in the least.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #21
BeautifulPoeticDisaster

BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!BeautifulPoeticDisaster keeps pushing the rep limit!

Skin tags are also very VERY common in women with PCOS and are an indicator of insulin resistance.

That's where mine come from...no hpv here.
BeautifulPoeticDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:40 AM   #22
Pookie

Pookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 clubPookie is a member of the 500 club

I get them on my neck, they grow and die off by themselves quite often. I have cut them off before with a razor blade and boy did it bleed! Have tried trying them off but found it hurt longer for the same effect, so just nip them off instead if they get sore. They are all tiny, none bigger than half a grain of rice, so I figured they where all safe to mess with.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:18 AM   #23
lemmink
THE PUMMEL IS COMING

lemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going onlemmink knows EXACTLY what's going on

The Amoils company (healing oils) have a money back guarantee on removing skin tags, and their other products do work. You could try them, although I've no personal experience with it, their other things do.
lemmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:37 AM   #24
Friday
Not fap material. Bye!

Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!Friday keeps pushing the rep limit!

Mine are too small to tie anything around but they annoy the hell out of me because they are usually on my neck between my jaw and shoulder somewhere. I have a good pair of nail clippers and I just snip them suckers right off. They don't bleed that much although I wouldn't do it right before leaving the house. It's better than picking at them which I've also done until they fall off.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:25 AM   #25
Sweet Tooth
Deep. W i d e.

Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!Sweet Tooth has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

I'd always had a few skin tags, even as a teenager, but when I developed PCOS and IR, the number greatly increased. Mostly, I just live with them, as the majority are small ones on my neck. I've had pea-sized ones elsewhere. Those I had removed by a dermatologist, just for safety and scarring reasons.

To remove the tiny ones on my neck, I use a well-sanitized pair of curved cuticle scissors, lots of rubbing alcohol, lots of Neosporin, and lots of Band-Aids. The reason for the curved cuticle scissors is that they are both made to get small bits of skin and the curve helps me feel like I'm not going to impale my neck on them. If I have someone to help, I let them cut them off, but the technique is still basically the same. Sanitize everything well, including your skin, and pull gently with your fingernails and cut them off at the narrow bridge of skin you see. They will bleed quite a bit for their size. I've gotten some twisted, so the blood doesn't flow back out of them, and they fall off on their own in a couple of days. I haven't done that with big ones, though, so consulting a dermatologist is still my recommendation for those!

I'm not sure how to prevent them, but I do know I get more at certain times of year when I'm wearing certain styles of clothing more often. [Think winter and turtlenecks.]