Dimensions Forums  
Home Register Premium Membership Stories Ye Olde Library Health Issues Market Place Big Fashion

Go Back   Dimensions Forums > Discussion > The Foodee Board

Old 01-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #26
TaciturnBadger

TaciturnBadger can now change their title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina
Badger, do the meatballs have a heavily beer-laden flavor? I'm not a beer fan at all, but it can certainly enhance the flavor of some cooked foods.
Surprisingly enough, they don't taste very strongly of beer. There *is* a little bit of beer flavor in them, but if you use a light beer or N/A beer, it's pretty faint.

--B.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #27
Mr. Jigglesworth

Mr. Jigglesworth can now change their title

Hey Badger, I've got a friend who loves cooking with beer, thanks for sharing this one, but do you have anymore I could pass on to him?

Mr. Jigglesworth
Mr. Jigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #28
TaciturnBadger

Not that I know of off the top of my head, but there's a great website that has all sorts of recipes for and with beer:

www.briansbelly.com

--B.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:55 PM   #29
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes
What I don't like about them is that most of the recipes I've found ujse things I just wouldn't cook with in life. Bags of hash browns or tator tots. Cans of condensed soup. I know it's convenience cooking, but I don't like to use so many processed things in my cooking in general. Don't throw anything at me, I'm not judging, just saying.

I was at Williams Sonoma the other day though and saw a small collection of gourmet recipes for crockpots...that might be something. I just don't like pouring a bunch of cans together and thinking that's good eating for ME. Too many preservatives and not enough fiber.
I'm with you, Jes. If a recipe calls for "Cream of..." anything soup, I will NOT go there. I don't care how good the recipe supposedly is. I won't do it. Same with Lipton onion soup mix. No way.

To that end, I have two slow cooker cookbooks that I picked up a month or two ago. This one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155...lance&n=283155 and this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158...lance&n=283155 Both have interesting recipes with mostly fresh ingredients. I've made a couple of things out of each of them and have been pleased with the results. I also just recently picked up a copy of Slow cooker magazine, because I have no impulse control and the pictures were so purdy. It had some good recipes, too.

Edited to add, I almost forgot: If you go to www.allrecipes.com you can search for slow cooker or crock pot recipes there. Many of the recipes have been submitted by members and have both ratings and reviews. I've found a lot of marvelous recipes of all kinds at that site.

Last edited by Miss Vickie; 01-16-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:19 PM   #30
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Jes, here's some things you can throw together in the crock pot and have it be healthy. No amounts here, as I don't usually use exact measurements, and it depends upon the size of your crock pot, too.

Brown some onion and garlic in olive oil, then add to crock pot.

Some chicken broth, or vegetable, if you want to go Veggie.
A large can of diced tomatoes.
A good amount of frozen Italian green beans.
A good amount of chopped carrots.
Some chopped parsley and celery tops, as well as some chopped celery.
A can of garbonzo beans, rinsed.
A splash of wine, whatever kind you like.

Some chicken (or not, if you're Veggie) that has been cut up and sauteed in olive oil with the spices of your choice. I usually use a bit of salt, some pepper and garlic.

Add some basil and oregano, or some Italian seasoning mix, depending upon what you use. Some pepper and maybe a bit of salt, if it needs it.

Cook until the carrots are tender, but before then, start some good brown rice on the stove and cook until done, then add to the soup.

Serve with grated parmesean, asiago or romano cheese on top, if you like.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #31
Miss Vickie

Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.Miss Vickie has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Tina, what do you call that? Besides "delicious" and "dinner".
Miss Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:56 PM   #32
Tina
Older and wiser now

Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.Tina has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Dunno. It's partly Sandi's meatball soup recipe, partly my own concoction. And the best thing about it is that it's easy. I guess I do just call it "dinner," as you said.

"It's my belief that these sheep are laborin' under the misapprehension that they're birds. Observe their be'avior. Take for a start the sheeps' tendency to 'op about the field on their back legs. Now witness their attmpts to fly from tree to tree. Notice that they do not so much fly as... plummet." -- Monty Python's Flying Circus
Old 01-17-2006, 01:16 AM   #33
Mr. Jigglesworth

Cool, I'll check it out...in the meantime I told my friend when he called me wanting me to come over and party with him about your beer balls recipe and since he'd already had a few, it sounded funny to him at first.

But then I explained what the recipe was and he said it sounds delicious too, I also helped further explaining it, saying it was *chinese food for rednecks* he got a big laugh out of that.

Mr. Jigglesworth
Old 01-18-2006, 12:09 AM   #34
rainyday
Departed

rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.rainyday has ascended what used to be the highest level.

My favorite crockpot concoction is oatmeal made overnight.

I use steel-cut oats (available at health food stores). Before you go to bed just dump oats and the amount of water suggested on the package into the crock pot, set it to low, then wake up to perfect chewy oatmeal. Stir the oatmeal before serving. To add extra yum and make it naturally sweet I also toss in peeled, chopped apples or raisins and let them cook overnight too.

It does stick to the sides of the crock a bit, but a soak overnight usually takes most of it off.

Entering "crock pot" in the search box at www.cooks.com turns up a bunch of recipes. The link below also has a ton:

http://southernfood.about.com/library/crock/blcpidx.htm

Last edited by rainyday; 01-18-2006 at 12:12 AM.
rainyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #35
TaciturnBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jigglesworth
But then I explained what the recipe was and he said it sounds delicious too, I also helped further explaining it, saying it was *chinese food for rednecks* he got a big laugh out of that.
That is *classic!*

--B.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #36
TaciturnBadger

Default Random thought..

I recently got hold of a box of the new "Crock Pot Liners." Has anybody had any experience using them yet? Are they worth messing with?

--B.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:50 PM   #37
Tina
Older and wiser now

Rainy, that sounds delicious. I'm definitely going to try that, with apples!

Old 01-20-2006, 12:23 AM   #38
missaf

missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!missaf has a ton of rep. Literally. As in over 2000!

Steel cut oats are THE best oats for slow cooking, and also for regular porridge. My son loves them and it's the only kind of warm cereal he'll eat.
missaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #39
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Does anyone have a rice and veggie type of recipe? I am so not wanting to cook today since we just got back from Sacramento post-op with my son. I hate to go out to eat again. (believe it or not i'm pizzaed out) I have a bunch of frozen veggeis and a huge bag of brown rice.. I just dont know the settings for rice in a crock pot..any suggestions?
HottiMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #40
Tina
Older and wiser now

Do you have any teriyaki sauce? If so, I'd add some garlic, maybe a bit of ginger (fresh is best, but powdered will do in a pinch), some sauteed onions, and some teriyaki sauce to the mix and have Asian. Maybe with salad?

Old 01-20-2006, 04:35 PM   #41
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.HottiMegan has ascended what used to be the highest level.

mmmm that sounds good and yes i have teriyaki sauce mmm.. I have been craving chines food for ages but hubby's never in the mood.. I'll make that.. its easy. I always have a jar of ginger in my fridge cuz i like to make asian salads. Maybe i'll do that and just throw the rice in the rice cooker. I hate cooking sometimes lol
Old 01-20-2006, 11:34 PM   #42
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.
Default Re: With Rice...

[ I'm still looking for a veggies and rice recipe.. but here is one with Pork ]

Slice 2 bell peppers into thin strips. ( a yellow and an orange would be great, but green works just as well )
Chop 1 medium onion.
Place pepper strips and onion in crock.
4 to 6 boneless pork chops, diced into 1" cubes. Place in crock.
Mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can diced tomatoes (Rotel works great), 2 Tbl. sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp. Italian seasoning.
Pour over pork.
Cook 7 hours on low, stir in 1 cup uncooked rice OR cook 3 hours on High, sitr in uncooked rice and cook 1 more hour.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:02 PM   #43
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy
[ I'm still looking for a veggies and rice recipe.. but here is one with Pork ]

Slice 2 bell peppers into thin strips. ( a yellow and an orange would be great, but green works just as well )
Chop 1 medium onion.
Place pepper strips and onion in crock.
4 to 6 boneless pork chops, diced into 1" cubes. Place in crock.
Mix 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 can diced tomatoes (Rotel works great), 2 Tbl. sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and 1 tsp. Italian seasoning.
Pour over pork.
Cook 7 hours on low, stir in 1 cup uncooked rice OR cook 3 hours on High, sitr in uncooked rice and cook 1 more hour.
with a recipe like that, i can just get some sort of meatless substitute and throw that in place of the 1" cubes of pork. I have no idea what pork tastes like but there are lots of meatless "chops" out there. I might try that recipe this week as i'm not sure what to plan for meals and i go grocery shopping to night lol
Old 01-23-2006, 11:30 PM   #44
Fuzzy
Just a dirty old man

Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.Fuzzy has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I hope it works out for you.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:56 AM   #45
HottiMegan
I'm a fat geek!

I'm so bad.. we ended up eating dinner out nearly every night of the week! We were celebrating my hubby's raise by spending it all in a week lol.. i still have it on my list of stuff to try
Old 02-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #46
Mr. Jigglesworth

Default Calling all chocolate lovers!

Here's a dessert, a decandent pudding cake you can cook & serve in your slow cooker. A custard-like sauce forms on the bottom with a chocolatey layer of sponge cake on the top. You can serve it warm, room temperature or chilled.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1/4 cup of sweet ground chocolate, such as Ghirardelli
1/4 cup of sugar
1 1/2tsp. of baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cup butter(unsalted) 1/2 stick melted
1tsp. vanilla extract

Topping:

1/4 cup of sweet cocoa powder, such as Ghirardelli
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups boiling water

1.) coat the slow cooker with non-stick butter flavored cooking spray.
2.) in a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, ground chocolate, sugar, salt, baking powder. Make a well in the center, add the milk, melted butter and vanilla, stir the liquid ingredients until well blended, and continue stirring in widening circles, gradually incorporatingthe dry ingredients, until you have a smooth batter. It will be thick. Spread evenly in the cooker.
3.) to make the topping, conbine all the ingredients in another medium sized bowl, and whisk until smooth. Gently pour over the batter in the cooker, do not stir. Cover and cook on high until puffed and the top layer is set, 2-2 1/4 hours.

serves 4-6 Enjoy

Mr. Jigglesworth
Old 02-03-2006, 09:04 AM   #47
Jes
is oddly aroused

Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.Jes has ascended what used to be the highest level.

Maybe I'm dumb (I am) but how does one get a cake out of the bottom of a slow cooker? I can hardly get a cake out of a cake pan or whatever.

thanks!
Jes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #48
Mr. Jigglesworth

Well first off I don't think you're dumb, and that's a very good question.

Actually I just recieved that and a few other recipes yesterday in an email, and thought it'd be a good one to post, but I've never used it yet myself....I collect recipes online alot....for years now.

As for getting a cake out of a pan you just baked, try using a good foamy cooking spray that's non-stick or buy one of those new silicone cake pans they have now. I've got 2 silicone cookie sheets that you lay over your regular cookie sheet, and nothing sticks to them at all, cookies always come off clean.

Mr. Jigglesworth
Old 02-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #49
SoVerySoft
No fat no flavor

SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.SoVerySoft has ascended what used to be the highest level.

I think you just kinda spoon the cake out into a bowl. That would be my guess. Not all tidy-like.

I want to try it!!
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne
SoVerySoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:54 AM   #50
Mr. Jigglesworth

I just remembered that Reynold's just came out with liners for crock pots, so that could help with getting it out as well as saving you from clean up.

Mr. Jigglesworth